Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » Will Chris Rock Be A Prophet? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2255
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris Rock: Watching C-Span

"I was watching C-Span, and this guy comes on speaking," Chris Rock once recalled. "I didn't have the sound up, and I see the big earring, and I see this kind of loudish suit and I started joking about it, me and a friend - we were like, 'Aaah, this guy, what's he getting indicted for?' And then we see MAYOR OF DETROIT. We're like, 'Oh shit - it's the new mayor of Detroit!'"

Will Chirs Rock be a prophet?

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waiting for replies....

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1449
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't he say this 3 years ago before making "Head of State", back when Kwame was the new mayor of Detroit?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1443
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, he did. It is old stuff.

Sharkskin
Username: Sharkskin

Post Number: 363
Posted From: 66.178.227.202
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That bit is definitely an older one, from the very begining of Kwame's term.

I would like to request that this thread is bronzed and kept as a keepsake. It's the only time I've ever seen Zulu make a mistake!

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not a mistake.

I remembered when he made the comments and now that we have 4 years of evidence the question I posed is an accurate one.

Will Chris Rock's words turn out to be an irony, that he thought he was a criminal who was being indicted, before he turned the sound up?

Wcpo_intern
Username: Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1811
Posted From: 65.31.69.174
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, McNamara's chosen people never have and never will be indicted on anything. That's how a one party system works.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 833
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever heard of Wilborn Kelly(sp)? Believe that someone is going to be indicted before it's all said and done.

Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Who is he?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 141.217.46.39
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, I get it...so he is getting indicted as Chris Rock assumed from jump!

question, what he wearing one of those Cedric the Entertainer jacket suit vests at the time?

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since WCPO intern is the Board's legal eagle a question....

Is the evidence that was presented in the Al Bowman case admissible evidence in a criminal case to prove obstruction of justice?

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 837
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ex-Wayne Co. official, wife ordered to prison
Wilbourne and Barbara Kelley, convicted of extorting money and gifts from a contractor who did business with Wayne County government, have been ordered to report Monday to begin serving their sentences in federal prisons in West Virginia.

Wilbourne Kelley III, 70, Wayne County's former chief operating officer, was sentenced to serve 44 months in federal prison in Morgantown, West Virginia. Kelley was the county's officer who oversaw contracts at Detroit Metro Airport.

His wife, Barbara, 57, has been sentenced to 41 months at the Federal Prison Camp in Alderson, West Virginia. It's the same prison where Martha Stewart served her sentence.

The Kelleys, of Detroit, are to report to prison by 2 p.m. Monday, according to an order signed Tuesday by U.S. District Judge Marianne Battani. Last week, a ruling by a U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals panel in Cincinnati overturned Battani's earlier decision to allow the couple to remain free on bond pending appeals.

http://www.freep.com/news/mich /date10e_20050810.htm

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/fraud12_20040312.htm

By Patricia Montemurri

First round of federal investigation. The FEDS work slow.

(Message edited by 1honey on October 25, 2005)

(Message edited by 1honey on October 25, 2005)

Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu, it usually is, but I don't know which specific pieces of evidence you are discussing nor was I there to watch the trial.

A criminal case will have a higher burden of prove of beyond a resonable doubt. They jury only found the city liable for wrong doing by a prepoderance of the evidence, i.e. more likely than not. This is why a civil decision itself means nothing for a criminal trial and why a Not Guilty verdict doesn't do anything to protect one from civil liability. This is how a Prosecutor's Office is able to seize vehicles of people who are not convicted of the underlying crime.

Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, 1honey.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2269
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at the issue of obstruction of justice, could a case be built on the matters that emerged in the Bowman case that say- some one deliberately by their actions imepeded an criminal investigation and therefore, obstructed justice?

Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCL 750.505 would give a prosecutor authority to file charges for obstruction of justice under common law. I haven't read these cases but here's some that deal with the issue: People v Boyd, People v Davis, People v Alexander, and People v Somma.

If i were the Prosecutor, I would argue that MCL 750.479, Interferring with an officer, could be read to apply to such a situation. Michigan Criminal Jury Instructions 13.2 require that 1) the defendant resisted, 2) the person resisted was an officer, 3) the defendant knew he was an officer, 4) Officer was carrying out legal duties, 5) Defendant knew officer was carrying out legal duties, and 6) Defendant intended to resist.

If I were the attorney for the Defendant, I would argue that nobody kept the officer from maintaining the peace, enforcing a local ordinance, or enforcing a court order as required by the statute itself. I would argue that the CJI does not properly describe the law and that the Prosecutor's interpretation of resisting is unconstitutionally vague. It doesn't let someone know whether they are resisting an officer or just being uncooperative. My bet would be on the Defense, but as far as I know, the courts have never been asked this issue.

Furthermore, the decision doesn't necessarily say that someone impeded a criminal investigation. It says that Bowman was punished for attempting to reveal what he believed to be illegal misconduct. Whether there was actual misconduct is irrelevant. Whether the Defendant was successful at stopping an investigation is irrelevant. The issues are whether Bowman believed the allegations warranted further investigation and whether he was punished as a result of holding to those beliefs.

(Message edited by wcpo intern on October 26, 2005)