Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » How I See It « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1205
Posted From: 69.212.56.253
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Evil," wrote British true-crime author Brian Masters, "is something you recognize immediately when you see it. It works through charm."

One of the things you hear most often about Kwame Kilpatrick is his charisma. I agree. I’ve seen it up close.

When he sat in our offices, twice, for interviews in consideration of Metro Times’ mayoral endorsement in the August primary, he was open-faced, sometimes jovial, a little testy only a few times, all despite hard questioning.

He knew nothing, not a thing, about the Navigator until his wife’s city-owned car made the news. When he said it, he was sincerity made flesh. Same when he talked about the city’s budget problems in “the next term.” The mayor said, “We won’t be dealing with a $100 million deficit,” when there already was ample evidence that it would be much more. And when we got on the subject of public information and his administration’s dogged persistence in fighting any inquiries into things that had not been foreseen, prepped and spun by his often inept “information” officials, he proclaimed complete ignorance and innocence on the subject. These problems, he said sincerely, would be cleared up, and fast.

So I have a quick story to tell.

http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/story.asp?id=8413