Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » Kwame backed by DTE and GM « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is unacceptable...

http://www.freep.com/money/bus iness/walsh28e_20051028.htm

Tony Earley, CEO of DTE Energy Inc., and Thomas Gottschalk, executive vice president of General Motors Corp., signed a letter sent this week to local business leaders urging them to attend a Kilpatrick fund-raiser.

"After listening to the candidates for months now, we believe that Detroit's transformation will continue best under the leadership of Mayor Kilpatrick," they wrote in the letter dated Oct. 25. It also was signed by Jim Nicholson, CEO of PVS Chemicals Inc.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 600
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I think there is alot of politics involved (haha) and they are trying to garner clout with Kwame if he's re-elected (I bet you any money each CEO has donated the same amount to Kilpatrick and Hendrix) BUT...

Could this be a break in the rank-and-file business community that, thus far, has endorsed freman (with a wink and a nod) for the past year? Kwame definitely has some momentum running up to the end. If he wins it will be because:

1. Kwame's people are fighting very hard to survive and
2. Freman's arrogance/confidence bit him in the ass.

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 67.105.255.66
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Despite all his troubles, the business community, and more specifically the white corporate community does not fear a second KK administration.

In talking with folks in that group, they seem to feel that KK's personal transgressions were a hinderance but that he has made some improvements and will likely not commit the same errors in a 2nd term. More importantly, he is willing to trim the city's spending, supports charter schools, supported proposal E, is willing to privatize and is decisive in his decision making. These are all items that are important to the white corporate community.

They by and large don't have a problem with a potential Hendrix administration. The one concern seems to be that he will not be decisive enough. This is due to his relationship with Archer and that trait being the chief complaint the white corporate community had against Archer. Me personally, and as a supporter of FH, I don't expect Freman to follow Archer's lead in this regard and he'll be much more of a decisive mayor when he wins the election.

I think they can live with either KK or FH as long as changes are made. They seemed more interested in insuring that these two were the ones that made it out of the primary moreso than who the eventual winner would be.

Its really just a case of some hedging their bets.

(Message edited by detbest on October 28, 2005)

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1490
Posted From: 68.40.230.108
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as you Hendrix supporters like to stick your head in the sane with KK...he is getting a lot of support from people who are business powerhouses. THEY recognize that KK has the best business plans to move the city forward. THEY are also not as critical on his tax plans and vision for the city. This is not a "just give him money"...these are thinking and itelligent people. KK is doing well amongst these groups. It is the EMOTIONAL voters that are not weighing the candidtes up against each other. Many of you are voting on PURE drama that the media is putting in your heads. YES KK has made mistakes (many of them) but he is better than Hendrix for our future.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1234
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Disingenuous thread title. Kwame is not being backed by DTE and GM but has received some campaign donations from some executives.

You are now leaving Spin-City.

Jmy8
Username: Jmy8

Post Number: 2538
Posted From: 12.75.52.128
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or maybe they just wanna see Kilpatrick's face after a Republican governor puts the city in receivership at their behest.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 71.10.62.186
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha

And I am guessin neither of those two guys can vote for Kwame even if they wanted too

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 323
Posted From: 69.216.142.141
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds alot like some of the endorsements Freman got as well. When Mr. Hendrix received his endorsements everyone was like yeah, no questions asked, noone cared where they lived. But when Big Pimpin' receives his, you guys are like "hey, they don't even live in the city, or "hey, all of DTE or all of GTE are not backing him". I know it sounds like I really give a shit, but I like coming on here just to here how crazy you guys sound. I like to see how you are all a bunch of hypocrites. Everything is all good when it comes to the cadidate you are voting for, but when the same thing happens to the other candidate, the tables turn. Yall are just plain STUPID!

From,

Ain't voting...don't care anymore!

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ain't voting...don't care anymore!"

Pathetic.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 325
Posted From: 69.216.142.141
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes you are!

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, not so sure how I am pathetic.

I am tired of how Detroit is shown in the media, and I am tired of how corrupt Detroit is, and I am tired of the crime, I am tied of the flight, I am tired of the failing city services, I am tired of it all.

I am just a high school kid in the suburbs trying to make a difference, changing a few peoples minds about the city- and taking friends and family down to really show them the city I have come to love. I plan on going to Detroit Mercy next year and then can really begin helping the city, with dreams of one day becoming mayor of the great city. Not sure there are too many people in my position that are thinkning the same way. I volunteer in city cleanups, and have given what little money I can to various organization in the city. Any spare money I have I spend on my adventures with friends to the city. I do anything and everything I can for this city. My love for the city was created by myself, I chose to care. I had no connection to the city; my parents and friends and most people I have met out here think of Detroit as some hell on earth, they think I am crazy for caring. Yet, I have been able to show quite a few people the possibilites, opportunity, and glory of the city--and have changed their minds from ignorant statements to people that now also care about the city. I dont think that is pathetic. What I think is pathetic, is that you are one of thousands of Detroiters that can make a difference just by voicing your opinion, and voiting, that have decided against it.

Norm
Username: Norm

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 141.156.248.100
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you Motorcitymayor2006.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 266
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine with excellent political ties gave me some perspective on these efforts by Wagner, Early, Penske , etc. I had said that I wanted to write to Early and say that, as a resident of Detroit, I was very concerned that he was helping KK because he doesn't have to live with the chaos that the Mayor has visited on our city.

My friend said that Early, et al are between a rock and a hard place - if they don't give $$$ to the mayor, and he wins, their businesses are going to get punished. If they don't give $$$ to the Mayor and he loses, they will still have to deal with the Washington-based enmity of Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick. Since they all need friends not enemies in Congress - well, its obvious what they have to do.

And Penske? Well, his "winner" reputation is on the line with the upcoming Super Bowl. It absolutely has to be a success. And what kind of cooperation would he have through January 1 from the City if he doesn't ante up?

Makes good sense to me. This is how you buy an election!

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap, thanks--it makes it much more clear

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1545
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah yeah you can make all the excuses you want. If they did not believe that he would win they certainly would not give.

You guys just can't believe he has a plan. I am amazed at all the business people i meet that are supporting the mayor. It is becoming the intelligentsia thing to do. They all realize Freman does not have a plan or a vision and that scares them more than they mayor partying at the mansion or spending (what amounts to a pittance) on a credit card.

No plan No Vision is worse!

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame may win, but it will be becuase of things like the absentee ballots already having him selected as mayor....he will not be the choice of the people

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 67.105.255.66
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SW, they like all business people have to look out for their own self interest, as well as that of their businesses and shareholders.

As I said above, many in the white corporate community don't have a huge problem with KK's administration, especially if he can put the personal indescretions and cronyism behind him.

Whoever is mayor, they want to make sure that they can work with that person and one way to make sure that happens is to show up on the candidate's contribution list.

KK is supposed to be having a big fundraiser tonight hosted by the big $ white corporate types. Hard to believe his campaign is so strapped for dollars that their having to host a fundraiser this late in the game.

Mellodrama
Username: Mellodrama

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 198.208.159.17
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CEO"s (some of them) have a understanding of the big picture it is obvious these CEO's not only understand the macro picture but have the integrity to step up and navigate pass the hi- tech lynch mob demeanor of our MSM outlets.( NEWS & FREEP).

In fact it really is a no-brainer do you want a wannabe bureacrat with a auditor's vison or a talented young asset who has weathered the reality of the realife marketplace and is now ready to excell..
I think the markets perfer seasoned meat over stale old game. These CEO's know how to spot a good investment...

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 68.77.160.37
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mellodrama-

That "talented young asset" has yet to bring new business into this city. Toyota, Nissan, and Hyundai, have opened facilities in South Eastern Michigan during Kwame's first term. None of these facilities are in Detroit. Oh, and by the way, the business leader who has championed Kwame's endorsement is THOMAS A GOTTSCHALK. He's an Executive Vice President for GM. The same company that YOU pointed out lost 17 million dollars a day in the third quarter.

Mellodrama

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 68.41.179.85
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonesy,

Yes without Gottschalk GM would have tripled thier daily loss...tee hee

Jonesy

Post Number: 117
Posted From: 68.77.160.37
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM loses 17 million dollars a day, Kwame loses 15 million dollars a month. I guess GM knows a loser when they see one.

Mellodrama

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 68.41.179.85
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonesy,

Not quite an accurate comparison KK does not give rebates....tee hee

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 141.213.66.169
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do Manoogian Massages and Facials count?

Jonesy

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 68.77.162.145
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mellodrama, you made the comparison first, not me.