Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » "Darcy" Makes A Point... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 840
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read this blip on the DetNews forum. I think that this young lady presented a very fair and balanced look at both sides of the Mayoral election. Provocative indeed:

Posted: Mon. 10/31/05 04:42 PM
City: , USA
Subject: Best choice for Detroit
Comments: Those that want to see Detroit thrive again, or at least come closer to a balanced way of life, need to look at the whole picture. Looking back at Kilpatrick’s three years, there are some that can say the he did the best under the circumstances. He had a learning curve, made mistakes, and now he can do the job better. Forgive and give him credit. Let him continue?
Then, there are those that are looking for a new approach, for a person that has been experienced with city budgets and on-goings. These are Hendrix supporters and Anyone-But-Kilpatrick supporters. They saw enough of Kilpatrick’s actions and hopeful dreams to realize that now is not the time for another 4 years with the current administration. They want change.

Those that want Detroit to thrive again should also look at the potential outcomes of the mayoral election. You have to really want to make Detroit live again, and love Detroit enough to make a wise choice for her outcome. Sometimes, this means you have to make a choice that is not for the candidate, but for your future on a whole in the city you live in.

If you may want to give Kilpatrick another chance, think of all the people that will be totally be opposed if he does become mayor. Think of these as more people that will move out of Detroit because he is mayor. It doesn’t matter if he may turn the city around in the next few years and that you want to give him a chance. These ABK people will not be here. It will make many that can afford to leave the city to actually move out of the city. Not the poor, but the ones that are actually tax paying conscientious citizens. It’s really hard to accept that the future Detroit may become a city of poor people with even less tax revenue for city services.

If Hendrix becomes mayor, there will be people that are at least hopeful that Detroit will survive. These are the people that want Detroit to survive, and not to give “let’s give y’all’s” boy a reason to survive. It’s time to separate the candidates, in terms of the final outcome for the city’s benefit. Kilpatrick, under different circumstances, could be adequate during the next four years for the city of Detroit. But choosing Kilpatrick is not conducive for the current time.

Many may not want to change and may not want to go with the new person, Hendrix. Others may like Kilpatrick with his salesman personality. But when you go to vote, vote for Detroit, and not the candidate. Kilpatrick has promised much last time during his campaign, and fulfilled only a fraction that resulted in a ballooning deficit for the city. How much will he get done in the next four years for the WHOLE Detroit versus for a few sub-sections, or a few selected people, of the city and at what cost?

Can Detroit afford this?

Mellodrama
Username: Mellodrama

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 198.208.159.17
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darcy,

Is way off base.. KK is without question the better long range prospect becuase the middle class have always had dancing feet.. the residents who remain in the City however can be more impacted by KK but not Freman... the underclass will connect with KK. Freman offers nothing more than a auditor's vision folks need more than a tired bureaucrat's script.

The city like many other urabn cities is suffering because of 3rd rate talents Freman is not the answer.

Most of folks remaing in the city are faith based types people who have made mistakes and been trashed and discarded..they can afford to keep the faith with a young talent lke KK.. he is a a perfect fit...

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 67.38.81.149
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So your answer to “Darcy” is; if the middle class, i.e. "taxpayers" don’t like KK they can just hit 8-mile and leave the city to the “underclass”? That’s a real exciting “long range” solution to the problems of the COD. I know it is pointless to argue with you as I have read enough of your posts to understand that you are a staunch KK supporter and will not be dissuaded, I just can not see how another term of unbalanced budgets, the further gutting of vital services, and another term of headlines trumpeting the irresponsible (at best, criminal at worst) behavior by KK and his cronies is somehow better for the COD than taking a chance on FH?

I’ve been around and have lived in several so called “world class cities”. The kind of city that the COD once was and, I hope, becomes once again. When I came back to the Detroit area a little over three years ago, I had every intention of permanently settling in the city. I was enthused and optimistic about KK as I thought, “here is a guy who gets it”. After all, he’s not that much older than I am and I figured the D was ready to take off under the leadership of this young, charismatic guy. Now that I’m in a position to purchase a home, and after witnessing the debacle of a first term and listening to the surfeit of excuses and mea culpas made by KK and his administration, I can not, in good conscience, make such a major investment in the COD while he is in office. I could live with the exorbitant taxes and the spotty services one receives in return, however the more important thing is that I simply do not trust him. I am a realist and I expect a certain level of corruption, crony-ism, nepotism, and ineptitude in any major city’s government, but KK et. al. have truly outdone themselves and set a new low.

I still enjoy very much all the positives Detroit has to offer, and there are many. I love heading out in the D and I do it often. However, no matter how much fun I have in the city, living there (and paying taxes there) isn’t going to happen while KK is in office. “Darcy” has a point that you seem to continually ignore and that is in order for the city to survive and thrive, it needs middle class taxpayers and they are leaving just as fast as ever, if not faster than ever under KK’s regime. In order for the middle class to stay and grow, they need city government that functions and one that they can trust. KK had his chance and he squandered it. Times are too tough for second (and third, and forth…) chances. It’s time for a change.

Mellodrama
Username: Mellodrama

Post Number: 117
Posted From: 198.208.159.17
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgs,

I am glad you offered up a retort and you did not allow yourself to be stained by the other forum shallow thinkers.

There is so merit to your insigts but not enough to convince a objective jury. Your attacks on the shortcomings of the mayor's personality is revealing but shortsighted. Recently I posted on how GM is losing 17 million dollars a day and have the finest MBA's money can recruit yet in reality just across the street a mayor with less of everything is keeping the city a float in a very trying economic period.

Unlike the dominant society which discards thier parents like fast food. I think it makes good sense to stay with a talent which now understands the game..

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1546
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hear, hear Mello! Excellent post!

Freman had his chance for 7 years and he did nothing! Audit reports show that every dept., he managed fails, schools failed even further under him, we lost 100,000 citizens. It was a joke and yet we stood by and took it because Archer was such a nice man. We are in the same boat with Bush - after Clinton because he was a nice man. Hendrix is no Archer...he is worse. IF we elect Hendrix we will be MUCH MORE WORSE FOR THE WEAR. Hendrix does not care about you or the city. He cares about Hendrix and making money!

Norm
Username: Norm

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 206.173.166.4
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey ILD,

Who was the mayor again, Archer or Hendrix?

And I finally have to respond to your countless posts declaring that Freman Hendrix doesn't care about the people of Detroit or the city, only money. In short, your continual screed is utter nonsense.

I personally know both Freman Hendrix and your earlier candidate of choice, Sharon McPhail. I grew up in Rosedale Park and lived on the same block with Sharon McPhail and a couple blocks away from Freman Hendrix. I played with Sharon's daughter Angela as a kid and I was Sharon's paperboy as well. While Sharon was always nice to me, since she moved away she has never bothered to say hello or even acknowledge my parents at any event they have run into her at - she acts like she doesn't know them. I guess hours spent talking about kids and fliping burgers at block parties don't count for much after one moves away.

Freman Hendrix moved into to Rosedale Park when I was a little older. The first time I came across him was in his efforts to restart the Rosedal Park Little League which had been dormant for a number of years. In it not for the money, but so that his kids and others could play baseball (there were few leagues still around then), Freman got the league up and going and acted as coach, ump, commissioner and about any other role required. He also became very active in the North Rosedale Park Civic Association (NRPCA), the community organization that puts on June Day, pancake breakfasts, plays, etc.. He was the VP when my father was president and then he was president when my father was past-president. They didn't agree on every issue. but they had a good working realationship and got a lot done. All for free, to better their community. And this was all years before Freman became deputy mayor to Dennis Archer.

So, you can keep harping on Freeman's supposed shady business dealings, but please spare us with the diatribes about Freeman only being in it for himself and not caring about the city or its citizens. I gave two examples of that charge not being true and I can list many others but don't have the time.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a nice story. If you know him so well you would know that his name is spelled FREMAN. Not with two E's (as you spelled it wrong twice) :-)

And I am not sure of what the relevance was of bringing Sharon McPhail's name into this - are you just a typical forum poster trying to put something negative on her? I think the fact that she runs 182 homeless shelters (managed through city council budget but mostly donated), has four foster daughters, and fights for voter rights and the rights of all indivdiduals, and has raised two amazing daughters herself speaks volumes for her as a person. Who knows why she isn't so close to your parens now. I don't know...but whenever I am around her I get a hug and a hello and how is your dog etc...

Norm

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD,

Oops on the typos. You're right, I probably should not have brought up Sharon McPhail, I apologize - I probably did so just point out that I know both candidates and that the one you are adamantly opposed to isn't that bad. I'm glad Sharon does all that for the homeless.

Now that I've owned up to my mistake on bringing up Sharon, can you admit just a little bit that Freman isn't quite as selfish as you claim he is?

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 68.43.125.146
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norm, I was likely too young to remember all his hard work in the Park, thanks for the reminder. Definitely benefited from the little league games though. Is he advertising this? People might care about community involvement equally if not more than what occurred during the Archer administration.

And I'm eagerly awaiting ILD's next reply. Drum roll please?

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3206
Posted From: 68.73.32.103
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Rosedale Park is not a solid Helmut voter base it seems that not all of his neighbors love him as much as some folks.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1230
Posted From: 69.212.46.116
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Freman offers nothing more than a auditor's vision folks need more than a tired bureaucrat's script.

An auditor's vision, Mellodrama? Hendrix has thus far pledged to:

a). Hire more police, instead of Kilpatrick's plan to lay them off;
b). Introduce a modified version of bulk trash pick-up, instead of Kilpatrick's plan to discontinue it;
c). Instill more transparancy and accountablity, instead of Kilpatrick's practive of using the Law Department to actively keep citizens from finding what is going on in their government.

quote:

the underclass will connect with KK.

That would only be true if they had no need for police protection or trash removal - the things that Kilpatrick doesn't want to devote resources to.

quote:

Recently I posted on how GM is losing 17 million dollars a day and have the finest MBA's money can recruit yet in reality just across the street a mayor with less of everything is keeping the city a float in a very trying economic period.

If you translate GM's losses to Detroit's as a percentage of their operating budget, GM is doing better than the City is at the moment. Plus, they're in a better position to turn things around.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 68.77.162.145
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM's operating cost in 2005 will be arround 190 billion dollars. GM employs about 300,000 people world wide. The city of Detroit's operating cost in 2005 will be arround 1.45 billion dollars. The city employs about 16000 people.

Norm

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian,

If signs are any indication of voting patterns, Hendrix signs out number Kilpatrick signs about 4-1 in Rosedale Park.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The signs in the few blocks around my home in SW Detroit are 18 - 1 in Hendrix favor. Actually there is only one home promoting KK.

I got a call from a KK campaign worker last night. When I said that I wouldn't be voting for KK she was aghast - asked if I was influenced by "the media." I said yes -that the facts, interviews, documents, etc. presented in the media, taken all together, condemn KK as a liar and a mayor who has used his job to access the high life, to the embarrassment of the city. The worker got angry and said that Hendrix was "just as dishonest - she hoped I would be happy." How funny that she acknowledged that the race might go to the challenger.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 354
Posted From: 68.30.58.74
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"just as dishonest"?

Was she acknowledging something else as well?

later - naturalsister

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norm- Thank you for apologizing on the McPhail comment - it had nothing to do with this discussion.

Hmmmm will I admit that Hendrix is not quite so selfish? Hmmmm that is a tough one. I have been around him on several occasions - including one where he was trying to court McPhail supporters. I just don't see a warm and fuzzy guy there. Maybe it is the 1/2 German (kind of stoic folks for the most part and yes I have lots of German relatives who are stoic) OK ... I will concede that he is obviously a very loving father and husband and when someone brings up his family it sets him off in anger. Which some will say is bad that he does that - I on the other hand think it is ok to show protective emotion with regards your loved ones. So he does have some good traits.