Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Rosa Parks Super Thread » So who all went to bid farewell to Mrs Parks? « Previous Next »
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 1580
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend and I went to the CHWMAAH to pay our last repsects to her about 10 this morning. I had the chance to see the bus is widely known to have launched the CRM. There were literally THOUSANDS of people milling about and waiting in line.

We parked in a church parking lot near 75 since that was the closest place that we could find, and while walking towards the musuem an older lady that had driven from Texas stopped and asked for directions to the event. After she learned that's where we were going she gave us a lift the last two blocks.

Even with the sheer amount of people waiting in line, it only took us about 45 mins from the moment we joined the line to get into the rotunda and view Mrs. Parks. She looked really nice, I dont know what they could have done to make it any better.

I strongly recommend everyone on this board to stop by. She will be there until tomorrow morning @ 5 where she will then proceed to the Greater Grace on 7 Mile for the funeral ( which is also public as well).

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4367
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it had been yesterday morning rather than today and tomorrow morning, I would go... I'm very disappointed I won't be able to, I really want to go.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 1583
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they started the viewing frm since she got back in the city last night. Peeople had been in line @ 9 pm yesterday evening...

Mellodrama
Username: Mellodrama

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 68.41.179.85
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just did.. I was disappointed in lack of turnout by whites and other people of color ...very sad..

Not surprising with the other people of color they have yet to express thier collective thanks and appreciation over the years for the efforts of black folks in the USA since we created the civil rights movement...

I guess I should not hold my breath waiting for the browns and yellows to step up....

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4370
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please go away.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2496
Posted From: 68.41.216.17
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing says "Thank you, Mrs. Parks" better than racial divisiveness. I'm sure she would be proud of you, Mellodrama.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 645
Posted From: 24.221.73.69
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We (my wife and I) did not make it down to pay our respects. However, with Los Dias De Los Muertos upon us, Mrs. Parks is very much in our thoughts and hearts. A true American (and World) hero.

Mellodrama
Username: Mellodrama

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 68.41.179.85
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve,

I am sure she would applaud and respect my activism and honesty to confront our racial reality . She was the teacher in that area and yes I have learned well....

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 198
Posted From: 4.229.39.113
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there this afternoon. I took the bus, not as a special tribute, but because I always take the bus when I go to the Cultural Center. Still, it seemed fitting and I was glad to see a ribbon tied on an empty seat near the front of the bus, in honor of Mrs. Parks.

Outside the museum, the lines were pretty long and it took an hour and a half before I could go inside and pay my respects. It was almost 2:30 when I left and it looked as if the crowd was getting even thicker.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 735
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there before my 9am class started at CCS; assuming that the lines would be long from the start, I had emailed my students the day before to warn them that I might be rather late because I was going.

I walked over from CCS at 8 am, joined the line which was not very long when I entered, saw Mrs.Parks [she looked lovely!], left and walked back to school. I wasnt late at all for my class; got back before 8:45.

Just as I approached the bier, the line was halted for the changing of the guard. It was awesome; seeing these huge, stern, formally dressed officers guarding this tiny tiny lady with their chrome guns made one realize the gravity of their job and the importance of their charge. This is what finally knocked the tears from my eyes.

I might also add, that I saw a good number of "whites and other people of color" both in the line with me and in the queue after I left. I was not interested, though, in standing there with a clicker to make a running tally of who showed up and who didnt.....I was there to pay homage to a brave woman who faced a situation and decided to act.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 68.41.153.99
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going at midnight. I was just in the area though and the line is wrapped east on farnsworth, north on brush, west on fredrick douglas, south on john r, and west on warren all the way to st antoine. impressive turn out.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 69.14.76.187
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on when I get up tomorrow, I'm gonna try to go on my way in to work. Hopefully the line isn't too long.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 2690
Posted From: 24.22.82.162
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosa Parks belongs to all of us. She helped save a very divided country. The South of the USA has become much more prosperous because of her.

She took special passes from the Northern Jim Crow too. She brought freedom and equality to all of us.

There is nothing but admiration for her today.

jjaba, civil rights worker of the 1960s.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 512
Posted From: 68.60.139.186
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caught a movie tonight, "The Rosa Parks Story", Angela Basset as Rosa. Don't know how accurate it is but she said:
Nobody can take my dignity away, no White and no Black, nobody - only myself can do that. Quote (unknown)

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 69.245.66.237
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went this evening after work. 3 1/2 hours in the cold but it was nothing compared to the people that fought and died so I can live the kind of life I live today.

Two words to anyone that is going tonight.

DRESS WARM

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 69.245.66.237
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Public Viewing ends tommorow at 5 A.M.

Thrice
Username: Thrice

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got there a bit after 9 pm, waited in line untill 1:47 am.

There were still people in line with atleast a 3-4 hour wait.

Amazing showing.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 873
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 14 year old daughter.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 470
Posted From: 66.166.84.12
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went around 1:30 yesterday and I didn't leave until 3:15. Luckily the sun was out, and the Go Lightly School was in front of me. I spent almost two hours observing today's children. It was entertaining and thought provoking.
Standing in line and when I saw Ms. Parks I teared up whenever I thought about all the cynics(myself included sometimes) that don't think one person can make a difference and how full of apathy this country can be. Thank God Ms. Parks was willing to take a stand against something. She may be gone, but her courage will live forever.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3278
Posted From: 68.249.238.211
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leaving for Funeral now.

Black-atcha ....

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2499
Posted From: 68.41.216.17
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for letting us know. Be sure you check back in when you get home.

Sharkskin
Username: Sharkskin

Post Number: 383
Posted From: 66.178.227.202
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got there around 8 p.m. last night. Didn't leave until almost midnight. There were all kinds of people there.

Sarabara
Username: Sarabara

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 209.176.199.4
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went last night. It took 4 hours to get through the line. I got done around 11pm, and the line had grown tremendously since I first arrived.

There were all kinds of people there, I concur. It was awesome to see so many people waiting so long in the cold, just for a few seconds inside.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 69.3.206.177
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started to open my car door to head to the viewing, & my cell phone rang: my best friend was being transported to emergency. So I went to the hospital with a heavy heart, worrying that my best friend had a broken heart. Thankfully, both hearts have since mended (since neither was broken in the first place), & my heart is now able to beat strongly in memory of Rosa Parks & her legacy.

Thank you, Mother Parks. Thank you for your courage, spirit, & will. May your spirit live on in those of us who remain on this earth. And may we live up to your legacy.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 297
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live behind Woodland, so after I got home, I went straight over. It was crowded with people who had been there all day. As the night came, more and more people showed up. I can just imagine how many people were actually on the route total.