Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » 6 Digit Telephone Numbers - What years? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 456
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what years Detroit had 6 digit telephone numbers?

I have a business card from a relative that has a 6 digit telephone number from Federal Mogul... PLaza 0750

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 302
Posted From: 69.221.68.105
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was before 1962...back in the days of my TUxedo exchange.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2254
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might be able to narrow that down for you East Detroit, but I'm not on my own computer right now where the information resides.

Irish is thinking of when they dropped the exchange names and went to all numbers, but there was a time when you dialed just 6 numbers instead of 7, e.g., TUxedo 3321 vs. TUxedo4-3321. It was mostly during the late 1930s and 1940s that this method existed. Complicating it even more was that different parts of the city used 6 and 7 digit phone numbers at the same time, even within the same central office area. As each phone central office (exchange) got new switching equipment, the changeover to the 7-digit phone numbers would be made. Nailing down when the PLaza exchange made the changeover would be great. (BTW, the Plaza name still exists for the central office handling that area; it's on Van Dyke just north of Gratiot.)

I have a 1946 Yellow Pages which I flipped through randomly, and after scanning for PLaza phone numbers on two-dozen pages, they all were 6-digit numbers, meaning that the office had 6-digit switching machines as late as 1946. I'm sure the 6-digit scheme lasted into the 1950s. I'll let you know if I find something more definitive.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 785
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is part of a page:
The 1960's were explosive years for the Bell System -- as they were for the rest of the country as well. Changes, great and small, came and seem to have come to stay in the life-style of much of the American population. The Bell System was right there when it started and, if any single happening can be Picked as the opening shot, the Bell System has a pretty good claim on it.

It was like this: For some years Bell Labs technologists had been growing increasingly concerned about the limitations of the national numbering plan which had been adopted earlier to make Direct Distance Dialing possible. In brief, the numbering plan divided the United States and Canada into areas, each area equipped with a different three-digit number which could be recognized by automatic switching equipment because the second digit was either a one or a zero. When the numbering plan was first devised it appeared that telephone numbers would go on forever, without any possible shortage developing. But the American and Canadian populations began growing at such a rate that the numbers would run out unless something was done. Since the area codes must have either a one or a zero in the middle, they could not be added to without great expense in changing the recognizing equipment. It looked as if something should be done about individual telephone numbers. Further, others at Bell Labs had found that push-button telephones, when introduced (as, of course, they were very soon, as the Touch-Tone( telephone) would be much easier to use if the numbers could appear all alone on the buttons without being confused by the addition of letters. And still other Labs futurists, looking far ahead, could see problems resulting from international direct distance dialing because of differences in alphabets, dial arrangements and letter shapes.

The single answer to all three of these problems, it turned out, was simple: do away with all telephone number prefix names and substitute their number equivalents. This would allow more prefixes (no reasonable English words could be found starting with PW, XS, RW, YR, JX and a few others), would clear up the design of push-buttons and would allow the international agreement on Arabic numerals to take care of the customer training necessary for international customer direct dialing.

The solution was announced quietly at first in small communities, where, by and large, it was met with indifference. This calmed whatever public relations misgivings existed, and the new plan, dubbed All Number Calling (ANC), was widely announced.

A group of very vocal people hated it. They felt, they said, that they and everyone else were being reduced to numbers, that computers were dehumanizing American life, that their heritage was being destroyed and that the Bell System was behind the whole plot. They said a great deal more than that and added, moreover, that psychological tests had proved their point. They got large headlines.

The Bell System answered. It may have been a mistake, but the developers at Bell Labs, still quoting their original findings and needs, tested some more and found that ANC numbers were easier to remember, more distinctive and better than the old kind.

Complete text:
http://www.bellsystemmemorial. com/capsule_bell_system.html#T he%201960's%20and%20Today

Psip

Post Number: 786
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is more the you would ever want to know about the phone numbering system. Its a .doc file.

http://www.bellsystemmemorial. com/doc/NANP_Discussion_2003R3 .doc

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 977
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... THey make a good point about dehumanizing though... It definatly destroyed individuality in many communities and helped create generic movie set like experiance today.. you use names of the communities and neighborhoods much less today and its just "whats their #"

Mikem

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like your area code, the exchange name identified your "hood", but researchers later found that the people could remember 7 numbers as easily as they could the name + 5 numbers. Even so, everyone hated to see them go. Soon your area code will lose its geographic affliation too.

The need for a standaridzed numbering system came from the engineers' goal of nationwide dialing. Initially, reaching someone by telephone was done by asking an operator to connect you. Then the dial telephone was developed, but the Bell System was slow to implement it compared to other phone companies, and this being Bell territory, Detroit didn't get the ability to dial directly until the 1920s. I can't remember the exact year, but the telephone office serving the far east side near the Chrysler Jefferson Avenue plant was the first one in the city to get this technology.

The plan for nationwide dialing (Direct Distance Dialing) was developed in 1947, bringing with it the area code system. Even though you could dial someone across town directly, you still had to go through an operator to make long distance calls. The ability to DDD was slowly implemented throughout the country starting in 1951 in New Jersey, with the Birmingham, Michigan office the second in the nation to convert.

Some remnants of the 6-digit phone numbers (often referrd to as 2L-4N: 2 Letter-4 Number) are still visible around town, such as this advertisement on the back of a building on Broadway:

CAdillac 9024

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Soon your area code will lose its geographic affliation too."

With my VoIP phone, it already has. If I choose a 313 number, I would only have 5 area codes within my $15/mo unlimited "local" service. Choosing 734 instead yielded for me nine such "free" area codes.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5321
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To those of you under 35 who never had to use the operator to make a long distance call, it went like this:

You'd dial "0," then say:

"Operator, I'd like to make a person to person call to KazooExplorer. The number is 616-____________. My name is ItsJeff."

Then she (always "she" back then) called the number. When the other line answered, the operator would announce, "This is the Michigan Bell operator. I have Itsjeff on the line calling for KazooExplorer." The person answering would either summon Kazoo, or, if Kazoo answered, he'd say, "This is KazooExplorer, operator." The operator would say, "Go ahead, please." And that was that.

As a kid I remember thinking that it was weird that operators pronounced "please" as a two-syllable word. Plea-azz. They all did that. Never knew why.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1923
Posted From: 69.246.4.29
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OR if you grew up in the middle of f'ing no where (my neighbors were all Amish) you had a party line that you had to share with other homes! You knew you were getting a call by the ring tones - we were two long and two short and it was for us. My granny just got off a party line last year - needless to say she has less to gossip about these days. The operator always put your call threw and announced the party calling.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 123
Posted From: 68.43.125.146
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, very interesting. Found a business card from 1922 in my mom's basement near the circuit breaker from Edison I think. The numbers make a little more sense now.

Mikem

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

always "she" back then...

Boys were first used as operators but they quickly were found to be unruly, undependable, often absent or tardee, and had no qualms about telling the customer to stick it where the sun don't shine. After just a few years, girls were brought in as an experiment and quickly earned their niche in the American workplace.

Scanning my 1946 Yellow Pages I've found these exchange names which were followed by 4 numbers for a total phone number of 6 digits (2L-4N):

2Lexchange
ARlington27-
CAdillac22-
CEdar23-
CHerry24-
CLifford25-
DRexel37-
ELmhurst35-
FItzroy34-
GArfield42-
HOgarth46-
IVanhoe48-
LAfayette52-
LEnox53-
MAdison62-
MElrose63-
MUrray68-
NIagara64-
NOrthlawn66-
OLive65-
ORegon67-
PIngree74-
PLaza75-
PRospect77-
RAndolph72-
REdford73-

And these exchanges which had 7-digit phone numbers (2L-5N) creating the following prefixes:

2Lexchanges
TEmple831-,2-
TEnnyson836-
TErrace832-
TOwnsend866-,8-,9-
TRinity871-,2-
TUxedo881-
TWinbrook891-,2-
TYler894-,5-,6-,7-
UNiversity862-,3-,4-
VErmont835-,6-,7-
VInewood841-,2-

The Hogarth, Lenox, Madison, Niagara, Pingree, Plaza, Redford, Twinbrook, Tyler, University, Vermont, and Vinewood names are still informally used for the offices that host those exchanges:

Hogarth
Hogarth

Lenox
 Lenox

Madison
Madison

Niagara
Niagara

Pingree
Pingree

Plaza
Plaza

Redford
Redford

Tyler
Tyler

University
University

Vermont
Vermont

Vinewood
Vinewood

I've misplaced my Twinbrook and Oregon office pictures.

Psip

Post Number: 787
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A typical long distance operator work room this one is Dallas Tx, and had over 160 positons.I am sure the Detroit system was much larger. c1969
Op 1
Op 2

The 411 information operator in the 50's

A typical Bell System pen, with the dialer end.
Pen

Mikem

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nearly all of these offices were expanded to accomodate switching machinery and operators for the growing city. Looking closely at the pictures I posted, you can see different shades of brick where major additions were completed. The Hogarth, Niagara, Pingree, Redford, and Vermont offices all had the top floor added at a later date. The main office downtown on Cass had 12 floors added in 1928:

BellHQ

Then the transistor was invented, the switching machinery shrunk, the operators were concentrated in just a few offices, and now most of these buildings have large areas of unused space.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The phone exchange building on Ford Road near Fordson High was once so important that the widening of Ford involved a bend in the street so as to accommodate no interruption of its switching facilities.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps my age is showing; but 234-5789 just does not have the same ring to it as does Beechwood 4-5789.

Mikem

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the Ford Road office is the Oregon office:

Oregon

I also have a 1961 White Pages. Looking at the introductory pages, I found this map and table which explains how to calculate the charges for calls to the suburbs which more than local but not long distance. I didn't include the entire table, just the margins which show the Detroit and suburban telephone exchanges. I was surprised to see that several Detroit exchanges still used only 6-digit phone numbers; the exchanges with 7-digit phone numbers are marked with an asterisk. The PLaza exchange (75-) seems to have disappeared. The current Plaza office handles 92X-XXXX numbers (which would translate to WA) so perhaps we could place 1960 as an upper limit to the age of the Federal Mogul business card.

1961 Detroit exchanges

The suburbs were a mix of 6- and 7-digit numbers:

1961 Suburban exchanges

1961 zone map

Getting the public used to all number dialing was a work in progress:

ANI

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5206
Posted From: 64.228.203.105
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike,

What were these offices used for? Were they switching offices at one point too?

The big guy on Oakman:

And this smaller one on Highland Ave. in HP?

(Message edited by aiw on January 07, 2006)

Mikem

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Highland Park office is a switching office. The Oakman Blvd building was a shop and printing office for the phone books. It's listed as the Telephone Planning Center, 882 Oakman, in the 1961 directory with phone numbers for the Yellow Pages Division, Address Directory Service, and Architects & Builders Services.

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 69.241.224.171
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what happened to that last building there on Cass? It's very beautiful; a very strong vertical emphasis.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2611
Posted From: 69.215.243.150
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's still there.

Mikem

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still there, with additions from the '50s and '70s which ruin its proportions.

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 69.241.224.171
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never mind - it's still in use by SBC.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 459
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a lot for the info, guys!

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 69.208.36.124
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, Psip and AIW,
Just a note of thanks for your stellar contributions here. I'm continually astounded at the time and effort you and others like Hornwrecker on this forum go to educate and entertain others, whether with pics or info. This is really good stuff. We go from phone exchanges to switching station photos at the drop of a hat.
Just amazing. Thanks.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 270
Posted From: 69.241.164.222
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Party lines existed in Detroit as well as in the hinterlands. We had one in NE Detroit until the late 1950s or early 60s. Our number was two quick rings (unless you wanted to talk to the other party on the line). Knowing my dad, it was likely cheaper than having your own line (it was a long time before we got a touch tone phone because the rotary was cheaper).

Also, it's been about 35 years since my grandparents died, but I still remember their phone number - Walnut (or Wa) 4-3886.

Psip

Post Number: 789
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may also rememeber the phone mans truck
yruck

Mikem

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks HardHat, our pleasure.

JiminNM, do you remember how your phone number was listed in the book, or if it was listed at all? Did it have the number followed by a letter (J, W, M, or R)? Older directories showed party line numbers in this way. Since I obviously couldn't dial you directly, I would instead ask the operator to dial 738-J, or 738-W, the letter indicating to the operator how many long and short rings. Does this sound correct?

My 1961 phone book doesn't show any phone numbers listed with letter suffixes, so I'm guessing either party lines were phased out in the city by then, or else party line subscribers couldn't have their number listed in the book.

Mikem

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and could you tell me where you lived in general (nearest major intersection). I have the feeling central offices carried party lines longer than others.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1716
Posted From: 4.229.105.29
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cass Ave. Michigan Bell HQ Building had the Bell Annex added in the 40s/50s, and the new (Michigan Ave.) Michigan Bell HQ built in the early 1970's with the Alexander Calder sculpture out front. As already stated, those 2 major additions do the original building no justice.

When the Bell System broke up in 1983, Ameritech became the Baby Bell corporate name for Michigan Bell, Illinois Bell, Indiana Bell, Wisconsin Telephone Co. and Ohio Bell. Then Ameritech was bought up by fellow Baby Bell SBC (Southwestern Bell Corp.), which had earlier bought up another Baby Bell - Pacific Bell. And now SBC is being bought up by AT&T. So now 3 of the 7 Baby Bells will be back together with Ma Bell AT&T.

I would venture to guess that the building complex will have another name change (from Michigan Bell to Ameritech to SBC to AT&T). But that's OK, AT&T has a more "blue chip" sounding corporate name to it than SBC.

Mikem

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have that backwards Gistok, SBC is buying AT&T! Guppy swallows whale.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1930
Posted From: 67.163.181.81
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool having that REdford exchange -- I wonder how many places are eponyms of their own exchanges ...

Grew up with a VErmont exchange (parents still have the same number AND the same phone).

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 822
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The classiest exchange in MI had to be one already mentioned early on this thread -

TUxedo - serving the tux crowd out in the Grosse Pointes!

Our # in Kalamazoo - FIreside 4-7240.

I remember my mom making long distance calls in the '50's - dial O, ASK FOR THE LONG DISTANCE OPERATOR!! - then tell her what # (we couldn't afford person to person) then HANG UP AND WAIT AROUND 10 MINUTES - then the phone rang and they had completed the connections and you could talk.

I was going thru my folks tax records from 1950 and came across the phone bills. They were TYPEWRITTEN and attached to each one were "tickets" much like your breakfast order would be taken on in a diner - written in pencil, with the cities called, amt per minute times the minutes talked, and the total - all done in pencil, presumably by the operator who handled the call! Amazing by today's standards.

Say what we will about lost identities and computers, but we absolutely could not have the lifestyle we enjoy today without them. Imagine telling someone each time you wished to call LD, then waiting - then getting a handwritten ticket for each one - and paying a ton for each LD call. It was EXPENSIVE.

Have truly enjoyed each of your posts - great history of the phone and of the city.

Someone with knowlege of same might want to describe the noise in those old offices - and I'm talking AFTER conversion to dial - I used to ride my bike by one in the summer and the clicking and clacking was pretty loud outside on the sidewalk.

Also, I recall going to the office on Saturday with my Dad in the '60's, he worked near Northland. They had a WATS line that allowed unlimited calling in Michigan (only one person in the office could use it at a time - you had to call the company operator and she'd connect you to it - then you DIALED) and it cost his company $2,000 per month.

Finally, anyone remember Nickle-A-Minute?

Psip

Post Number: 792
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Central offices were huge. The equipment weighed a ton, and the entire system runs on batteries! Those racks are 11 feet tall.
There are usually several basements full with the lead acid batteries.
Here is a test panel for the exchange typical of the 50'and 60's before touchtone.
Crosspoint

Something the Ma Bell never quiet perfected.

picture

(Message edited by Psip on January 07, 2006)

Psip

Post Number: 793
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This view of the #5 crossbar shows several frames one behind the other. The frame that is closest in the photograph is the automatic monitor test frame. The frame just behind it is the master timer that tallies the toll charges for subscribers. The next frame after that is the automatic test frame.

Crossbar

Mikem

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All scrapped by now. We're served by a mix of Nortel DMS-100 and Western Electric 1AESS & 5ESS machines. The 1AESS's may have all been replaced by now: http://www.montagar.com/~patj/ phone-switches.htm

Karl has some great memories. Waiting to be called back while the operator negotiates a path for your long distance call - unbelievable today, but still considered a miracle by an older generation. The switching gear made quite a racket, and somewhere someone has recordings of machines. My sound card is dead, but try these links:

http://www.seg.co.uk/telecomm/ sounds.htm

http://www.wideweb.com/phonetr ips/

Psip

Post Number: 797
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something every home had at the time.
Timer 1

Time 2

This is from my personal collection, it was where my grandfather worked,
Detroit Gray Iron Foundry Company
Foot of Iron Street
Detroit Michigan
Fitzroy 3524
LEKTROKAST

Mikem

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There once was a "Detroit Telephone Company" but I don't know anything of its history. An old postcard of the DAC frequently shows up on eBay, with the YMCA and the Detroit Telephone Co buildings in the background:

Detroit Telephone Co

I assume they either went out of business or were bought out by the Michigan State Telephone Company (Michigan Bell).

Psip

Post Number: 798
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the 1941 strike against Michigan Bell, supervisors ran the main switchboard. It would have been faster to walk over to who you wanted to talk to.
Mi Ops

mi ops 2
WSU

Karl

Post Number: 824
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surely there must have been a U of M Telephone Company.............

Mike & Psip, VERY cool postings!

Since no one grabbed on "Nickel-A-Minute" it was a thing offered by MI Bell in the '70's - all calls made within the state after 10pm and before 6am were 5 cents/minute - but only if you paid the usual service chg to "install" + $2/month.

Every extra phone was $1.10/month. "Colored" phones were $10 extra at the time of install. Long cords were also extra! But all service calls were FREE. Moveable phones with 4-prong jacks were the rage - but jacks were $6 each to install. New homes were often pre-wired with 6-pair cable in every room, located with a little buzzer device. All the wires were in case someone wanted "Home Intercom" - something I don't think anyone bought except my retired Bell exec neighbor & his wife - they had all the gadgets Ma Bell offered and got them all.

Recently a friend told me that his kid had a friend over after school - 10 yrs old. He had an old dial trimline phone and the kid called home - he was pushing the #'s in the holes! Had never seen a dial phone but just assumed you touched the # to call. I'm gettin' old.

Last memory - when we used to go to my granny's in N Indiana, they were on General Telephone. The phones were very clunky attempts to imitate the sleek stuff the Bell System was putting out. As late as the early '60's they had no dial and 5 digit #'s that you told the operator when you picked up the phone to call. That, along with WLS in Chicago, which always seemed to be playing songs that were at least 6 months behind cutting-edge Detroit stations (and they were!) we thought Indiana and Illinois were hickish compared to the big D. In those days, along with everyone driving the latest & greatest in automobiles, downtown Hudsons, the Book Cadillac (I think it was Sheraton Cadillac by then?) and Sanders (my Mom would tell us that "if we were good, we'd stop at Sanders for a treat" - translation: Mom was having withdrawals & needed a Sanders hot fudge sundae, and no matter how bad we were, we'd end up at Sanders, ha ha.

Sorry if I rambled!

Karl

Post Number: 825
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip - those "seat cushions" must have been before unionization - OUCH! How about 8 non-aircondioned hours sitting on those babies??

Psip

Post Number: 799
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet that was one of the bargining issues!
I am trying to find some pix of the home equipment. The stuff made by Western Electric

Karl

Post Number: 830
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just read this in a book about JL Hudsons - to give you an idea of their size and the amt of business they were doing at the time: In 1950, due to heavy volume JL Hudsons completely upgraded their phone system. Once complete, the switchboard system was the one of the largest in the world - second only in size to the Pentagon.

Regarding the old Western Electric equipment, a friend in Vicksburg had 2 old crank oak telephones hooked up between the farmhouse and barn; they worked perfectly. They were acquired a few years earlier (in the 1950's) when relatives living in Peru, Indiana were upgrading their phone system and tearing out the old crank phones - which were stacked into piles as large as double garages & BURNED. My friends talked the telco workers into selling them a pair for $.50 each. I recently saw him, and the phones are still installed - and working.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1532
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You folks do know that one of these days, people are gonna laugh hysterically at us for this archaic internet thing and how we had to manually type up our thoughts to post on a thread.

Psip

Post Number: 800
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You type your thoughts? :-)

(Message edited by Psip on January 08, 2006)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 588
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all of you that contribute so willingly to these informative threads, I greatly appreciate all of this valuable information. The pictures and the writings are all just great. My hats are off to you!!!

Psip

Post Number: 801
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The very first phone book in Detroit dated Sept. 18, 1878. If those are the phone numbers, it appears they do go up to 3 digits.
Book
WSU

Psip

Post Number: 802
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tech in 1957
Pager

Plane Phone
Mikem is that a DC 3?

Broken_main

Post Number: 594
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That book is date 1 day befor my birthdate..

I guess they always passed out phonebooks in september.

Psip

Post Number: 803
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS POST IS WRONG
but left here for continuity

I became curious about the building next to the DAC on Madison. (see above post card)
Its still here in 2006 even after the clear cutting of the area around the stadia. The 1930 map I have shows it as being Michigan Mutual.
It must be a telephone termination point for the east side.
Google 1

A close up shows a phone truck working in a manhole by the building. To me, that indicates a cable vault.
google 2

(Message edited by Psip on January 08, 2006)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 66.19.18.201
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An early photo of phone operators.

LOC/DPC

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 69.241.164.222
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, I don't know how our number was listed in the phone book, I was only allowed to call my grandparents and a few other relatives in those days and knew the numbers. It wasn't until high school that I drove my parents crazy being on the phone.

We lived on Waltham, near Manning, in the Lakeview (LA) exchange. That's about in the middle of a square formed by 7 and 8 Mile, Hoover and Schoenherr.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 686
Posted From: 66.19.18.201
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just astounding how quickly a museum-quality thread like this can blossom.

As kids, we were always playing with the phone. In the 60s in New Orleans, we had a party line and accidentally discovered if you dialed your own number the other party would answer. Oops!

Older (and not much wiser) in the 80s, I wrote a TRS-80 program that chattered its cassette relay to "demon dial" a connected rotary phone. It repeated until a BBS carrier was detected then honked a horn to alert me that the call had gone through. What fun!

I still have an old Western Electric handset gag I loaded with battery, sound generator, mercury switch, etc. It lays on the desk innocently unconnected to any phone. People can't resist picking it up whereupon it wails a siren into their ear until they "hang it up" again.

I love that Madison exchange building. It's so,... so,... stately! Thanks, Mikem!

Mikem

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip, even though the DC3 had square windows, I'm guessing it's a Convair. I doubt the building next to the DAC has had any telephone equipment in it for at least 80 years. The area is now served by the Columbia exchange on Selden, west of Woodward, across the street form the new performing arts school: http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/hi storic/districts/detroit_colum bia.pdf

JiminNM, you were in the Pingree office area, corner of Schoenherr and Greiner, near 6 Mile & Gratiot. It still handles LAkeview numbers: 521-, 526-, and 527-.

Psip

Post Number: 813
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Mikem, I put a note on the above post.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City of Detroit had it's own independent telephone system for many years. Started around the turn of the century, it began by connecting all the street police "call boxes" with the appropriate precinct station. Each station had a PBX (Private Board Exchange) manned by a police officer; usually someone on light duty. Through that switchboard, he (no "she"s in those days) could connect you with any other police precinct or headquarters office.

The telephones all had a tree-digit identifier. The precincts had a neat code system that would let you remember the phone number easily: take the precinct number, double it, add nine, and put a three in front of the result. So the fourteenth (Schaefer) precinct doubled would be 28, add nine (37) and add a 3 in front; 337 was the number. Ad nauseam.

Some other city offices were also connected to this system. It required a separate telephone instrument that could not connect to the Bell system in any way.

In the late '70s, with the advent of a greatly expanded radio system, the street call boxes went the way of the dodo bird, and shortly after this private telephone system followed.

I still have my old call box key, which is likely a century old. Keep it on my key ring for good luck, and I have no complaints with the results to date. :-)

key

(Message edited by Ray1936 on January 08, 2006)

Aiw

Post Number: 5207
Posted From: 65.92.100.143
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Convair's, we still get them in at work in an all cargo confiuration...

cv-580

As for phones? I picked up this guy recently to act as my desk phone in my office at home. The dependable Northern Electric c/d 500.

cd 500

Mikem

Post Number: 2272
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northern Electric; they made Western Electric phone equipment under license from WECo. Eventually turned into Nortel.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 70's I had new dial phones installed in my house, a black wall phone and a black desk model similar to Aiw's. At that time you rented your phone from Michigan Bell. The phones were made to last because, if there were ever to be a problem with them, it was Bell's problem. At some point customers were offered the option of buying their phones and assuming the risk of any repair problems. Even though my phones were several years old, I bought them from Bell. I still use them to this day. The wall phone's in the basement and the desk model's by my bed. Every mechanical device I've ever owned through all these years, I've had to repair or replace except for my Michigan Bell phones. Those phones were built to last and they have.

Aiw

Post Number: 5208
Posted From: 65.92.100.143
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The handset and shell on my phone were made in 1972, however the guts are from 1956. 50 years and they still work.

Nedab3
Username: Nedab3

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 139.55.237.112
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TU 6075 my phone # on Wayburn 1940's and 50's. PI 2383 Aunt Clara on Chalmers. I still have never used a cell phone and see no reason for one. I do have an answering machine but delete most calls as they are sales.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 385
Posted From: 172.135.79.44
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather had a party line in Detroit as late as 1981.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 24.247.221.241
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am curious about the EXchange prefix name for the 27- numbers in Dearborn and Dearborn Heights. I know that the local 56- numbers in that area used the LOgan name, but I've never been able to find any solid evidence as to the 27- name in use for this area. Thanks!

Karl

Post Number: 840
Posted From: 72.25.177.194
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

27 in Dearborn/Dearborn Heights was CRestwood.

Mikem

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl is correct with CRestwood. Bell Telephone eventually published a list of preferred names for exchanges in 1955. Previously, exchanges acquired the names of the streets they were on, or other local geographic or culturally relevant names (UNiversity near U of D, TUxedo near Grosse Pointe, etc.) The 27- exchange could be any pronouncable combination of A,B,C and P,R,S. On the preferred list was:

BRidge
BRoad or BRoadway
BRown or BRowning
CRestview
CRestwood

but once these were published, an office did not have to change names if it was using something else.

My three main sources for local phone numbers are a 1925 business directory, a 1946 Yellow Pages, and a 1961 White Pages. In 1925, it appears few businesses in Dearborn had telephones. Those that did had simple three-digit numbers in the Dearborn exchange, listed as Dearborn 123, not DEarborn 123, i.e., you didn't dial DE-, you simply asked the operator for "Dearborn 123" and she would connect you.

By 1946 it appears the following exchanges covered part or all of Dearborn and Dearborn Township (Heights > 1963):

DEarborn (33-) with 6-digit numbers
ORegon (67-) with 6-digit numbers
CEdar (23-) with 6-digit numbers
TOwnsend8 (868-) with 7-digit numbers
VInewood2 (842-) with 7-digit numbers

By 1961 CRestwood4 and CRestwood8 (274- & 278-) were in use as well as these:

LO1-, LO2-, LO3-, LO5-
LU1-, LU4-
TE4-
TI6-
WE3-

These were the recommended names for those letter combinations, but I don't know which were used or if other names existed for them:

LOcust
LOgan
LOwell
LUdlow
LUther
TEmple
TEnnyson
TErminal
TErrace
TIlden
WEbster
WElls
WEllington
WEstmore

Mikem

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dearborn office, corner of Michigan and...Outer Drive if I remember correctly. Another one with a floor added and expanded to the rear.

Dearborn

(Message edited by MikeM on January 09, 2006)

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 24.247.221.241
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep Michigan Ave. and Outer Drive, right next to the Tubbys. CRestwood, I suppose that is geographic enough since Crestwood school is not too far away. LOgan was in use in Dearborn, a friend of mine who's family has had the same house for years was told that by a family member. Recently, a building was demolished on the corner of Telegraph and Michigan which allowed the side of a laundromat to be seen. On the side of the building was their phone number, complete with letters LO- before the 5 numeric digits. Unfortunately, I think it was recently repainted. Thanks again for the info.

Karl

Post Number: 841
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the #'s mentioned above, in those days LU was LUzon, and TE was TExas - I'm sure about LU, not 100% sure about TE.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto on LUzon. That's what it was when I vacationed all summer in Dearborn as a 15 year-old from M'Waukey in 1958. Just what is the origin of that strange name?

Karl

Post Number: 843
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure, I just remember hearing it.

On another note, I've been trying to remember Mr Belvedere's # - seems like Belvedere Construction was TYler something?

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 35.11.141.32
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TYler-87100

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 272
Posted From: 35.11.141.32
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mb

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr Belvedere? Did I get it right?!

Mikem

Post Number: 2283
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The TYler switching office is on Grand River roughly across from the former Olympia Stadium site. Belvedere Construction was located blocks away at 2111 W Grand Boulevard, across from Northwestern HS.

LUzon??? Maybe the LUzon exchange was added during or after the war, and they named it after the Battle of Luzon. The mention of the TExas exchange name is probably correct also. I found this listing of Michigan Bell "offices" in the 1946 Yellow Pages which includes a Texas office:

1946 Bell Offices

I doubt these were physical offices but more likely a listing of the exchanges and the corresponding phone number to call if you needed to speak with customer service. The Niagara and Tuxedo exchanges are in the same building, the Pingree and Lafayette are, etc. The concentration of phone numbers in the Cherry, Elmhurst, Hogarth, Plaza, Townsend, and Vinewood exchanges has me thinking they were the only offices staffed with customer service, while the rest were switching offices, with or without operators.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1934
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend had a LUzon exchange as a kid (he has family still living in the same house and they probably still have the same number). This is in Detroit offa Joy just east of the Herman Gardens housing project in one of many westside post-war neighborhoods of modest one-story bungalows and little square ranches. I fergit what they call that neighborhood nowadays.

Dan_cluley
Username: Dan_cluley

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 207.179.99.101
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a little more info on the early history of the phone company and some questions:

My Great-Grandfather started as a clerk in the accounting office of the Michigan Telephone Co in 1886, and eventually retired as General Auditor for Michigan Bell around 1929.

Based on the Detroit City directories, from the time he started until 1893 the Michigan Telephone Co. was located at 68-74 Griswold (old number scheme, seems to be between Jefferson & Larned)

Starting in 1893 they moved to the “Telephone Building” 16-24 Clifford (later 118 Clifford, seems to be the NE corner with Washington Blvd)
AT&T had their offices in this building as well.

He was transferred to the Chicago area for the teens, and by the next listing in 1924 they were in the building at 1365 Cass. (the current offices)

Apparently, in those days as AT&T took over the smaller companies, they had put them into regional groupings. When they formed Ameritech in the 80’s my Grandfather commented that it was basically the same division that his Father had worked for.

Does anyone have any later history/pictures of the Telephone building on Clifford? (the structure currently on the site is either a replacement or extensive exterior remodeling)

When did they open the building on Cass?

Psip

Post Number: 845
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Dan, this is going to take some digging. You have provided some very good information. If you find anythign else out, please share it with us.

Broken_main

Post Number: 619
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking at my mothers old high school phone book and saw the TY, WE and the LO often in her book. I used to ask her where the rest of the numbers were. My aunt, now retired form MBT worked there. I will ask her for some info and bring it back to this thread tonight(if she doesn't stay a church to late tonight.)

Mikem

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, from what I know, the phone company (Telephone & Telegraph Construction Co.) set up the first central office in Michigan in August of 1878 in the basement of a building at the corner of Griswold and Congress. It shared the office space with the American District Telegraph Company.

In 1880, the office was moved to the top floor of what was then called the Newberry Building, later renamed the Equity building, corner of Griswold and Larned. The Telephone & Telegraph Construction Company merged with the American District Telegraph Company within the year. The original company's license from Bell allowed it to provide phone service only within Detroit. The Michigan Bell Company was formed by backers of the original company to obtain a license to provide service in Michigan outside of the city.

In 1883 controlling interest in the company was acquired by a syndicate from Chicago which merged the Michigan Bell and American District Telegraph Cos into the Michigan Telephone Company. By 1893, service had expanded enough that they needed larger quarters, so they built the "Main Office" at Clifford and Washington.

The new company ran into financial difficulties and went bankrupt in 1903. The Union Trust Company was appointed receiver and sold the property at auction to a banker and bond merchant. He reincorporate it as the Michigan State Telephone Company in 1904. AT&T finally bought a controlling interest in the company in 1910 and in 1912 Michigan State Telephone bought several local competitors: the Home Telephone Co, the Detroit River Telephone Co, the Wayne County Telephone Co, the Macomb County Telephone Co, and the Interstate Long Distance Telephone Co. The executive offices of Michigan State Telephone were relocated from Chicago to Detroit in 1919 and the name was changed to, again, the Michigan Bell Telephone Company on January 1, 1924.

In the meantime, in 1919, the building on Cass was built to 7 stories and the general offices moved there from Clifford. The additional 12 floors were added in 1927-1928 at which time some local switches were relocated there, with the long distance switches moved from Clifford to Cass in 1929.

Mikem

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken Main, did your mother go to Northwestern? I've been randomly picking phone numbers out of my '61 white pages and plotting them on a map. I haven't done the TY or LO exchanges yet, but the WE numbers map out to an area centered roughly on Grand River and Oakman:

WE exchange 1961

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2183
Posted From: 66.167.58.137
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another awesome thread! Who'da thunk a simple question about 6 digit phone numbers could unearth so much knowledge. Bravo.

But I have a tale of two digit numbers. My memories of dial phones seems so distant in this internet age with cell phones in all our pockets. As a tot, I remember the great convenience we had of having a dial phone with an upstairs extension port, so my parents could move the phone upstairs at night. Oooo, so modern.

Later, my parents moved to a small town and for a while we were off the dialup grid, back to the crank phone where you cranked small generator to reach an operator to whom you gave the number you were calling. I still remember ours, the simple 49. The village phone exchange was staffed by a single operator, a very powerful person when you think of it, capable of learning a lot.

Long distance calls were a big deal. You essentially had to order them and then wait for perhaps an hour, longer on holidays, while operators patched the call through.

Now if I just could get my damned cell phone to stop dropping out. %$#*&

Mikem

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, the power of the operator! Supposedly the first automatic switching machine was developed by a Kansas City undertaker who feared that the operator - the wife of his competitor - was steering customers away from his business. His invention required a phone with a numbered dial which sent voltage pulses to his machine (a different amount for each number dialed), and automatically found the line of the dialed customer, completing the connection and taking the operator out of the loop.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One invention I think would be an absolute scream to see would be a cellular phone with a rotary dial. Practical? Not. But it sure would be interesting to see.

With all of this new fangled automation, I sure do miss hearing a true BELL ring as opposed to all of these tones to let you know there's an incoming phone call.

Psip

Post Number: 853
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can buy a kit to convert a 500 desk phone into a cell.
http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/i ndex.php?shop=1&itemid=416&
and it does ring.
$400.00

Smogboy

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Admittedly walking around with a two pound cell phone doesn't exactly appeal to me too much but I think it's still a great conversation piece (no pun intended and albeit a wee bit pricey at $400). Thanks Psip!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2185
Posted From: 66.167.58.137
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What'll they think of next?"

It is amazing to think how those old POTS lines [Plain Old Telephone System] would someday carry the WWW and this discussion -- at least for those of us on DSL and dial up.

Psip

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump
I am preparing some stuff, just not ready to post yet and dont want this thread to close or fall off the page.

(Message edited by Psip on January 26, 2006)

Economy_printing
Username: Economy_printing

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 66.93.55.98
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phone numbers had to go ANC. OK. Why could'nt we still use exchange names on old numbers that had them anyway and use digits for all number numbers? Could'nt hurt. Could it?

Economy_printing
Username: Economy_printing

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 66.93.55.98
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the last place in this country to do away with excahge names? Philadelphia still used them in the 1980's.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 4.229.33.75
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...in the 50's and 60's our number was
VErmont 8-7942 - corner of Ardmore and Eaton,
south of Fenkell, between Hubbell and Schaefer.

Mostly unrelated, (MOSTLY?) but, in 2004 I had the pleasure of visiting with 84 year old Viola Anglin who owns and runs a convenience store in a tiny town out in Idaho(the elementary school had a pop. of 17 students in '03). She's been there since 1948 and spoke of being the only telephone operator in the early 50's. The switchboard was in her store.

She would have to keep the board open until the last train made it safely across the continental divide before shutting down for the night!

(Message edited by ptero on January 27, 2006)

Mikem

Post Number: 2328
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Psip!

From an article I have, can't remember the date...1953 mayhaps?

Think of the children!