Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Del Ray to Downtown - Jan. 10, 2006 » Rouge Steel « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2155
Posted From: 66.167.58.137
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit: January 10, 2006 Driveabout
Rouge Steel - Rouge River Dearborn
<< END -- NEXT >>
rs
Comments? Bring back memories? Have more information? Add them below.
<< END -- NEXT >>

Frndvgd
Username: Frndvgd

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 209.240.206.208
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. Lowell! Hi, all! For someone with so few first hand Detroit memories, I sure do think of my birthplace a lot. Maybe its because Dad(Andrew W - Bill) and Mom (Betty Jane) have both gone on to their rewards.Thinking of the city they both so loved makes me think of them.

Because Dad was so much older than Mom and died when I was very young, I have almost no memories of him To try to find out second hand what life was like for him, Mom, my brothers and I there in the 1940s and 1950s I have with your help started to explore venues that he and my mother frequented and enjoyed.

These include Ford at River Rouge (Mom worked there. Also, as March of Dimes' poster child for the city, I had the honor of meeting Ford's Board of Directors at a really cool publicity event! I wish I could remember it), Olympia Stadium (Dad loved boxing and hockey. At another MOD event I met the Red Wings!), the Latin Quarters (at a MOD fashion show Marian Anderson sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" with me and past poster children onstage! MOD raised 10,000 uninflated dollars that one evening!), Coplin Ave and Highland Park (we lived there), and Big Bear and Food Fair Markets (Dad and Mom worked there).

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2692
Posted From: 66.167.210.191
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice stories. Thanks.

Frndvgd
Username: Frndvgd

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 209.240.206.200
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, have you ever thought about having prints of your works made and sell them along with the originals? A friend of mine marketed his wife's watercolors that way and helped greatly raise her profile as an artist. Many more people were able to afford one of her beautiful prints than could afford her original pieces. I would like someday to buy a print or two from you if they are or now will someday become available. Please let me know, thanks! I really am touched at how much you love Detroit! You really honor her.

Have any of your works ever been turned into murals? They would be great!