Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Jews in Detroit... » Jews in Detroit - 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3585
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cornerstone of a synagogue is chisled in English and Hebrew. There are Stars of David, there are evidences of muzuzot on front and rear doors. There are name signs in English and Hebrew.

There might be parking signs for the rabbi.

Sometimes, Torah arks are left behind. Memorial plaques might be seen.

The building in question just looks like some other usage such as a church.

All buildings have a history on government records. Check with the City building dept. for permits or tax records.

jjaba.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3086
Posted From: 69.218.153.25
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth Olem Cemetery
http://www.rootsweb.com/~miway ne/citizen.htm
http://shtetlhood.com/Beth_Dav id_Cemetery.htm

Contact Congregation Shaarey Zedek in Southfield.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3587
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jams. Tying gravestone names to Hamtramck history was a great idea. Hopefully, those in Hamtramck now can explore and report back to us on Jewish sites around their village.

As previously stated, jjaba's father (alva Sholem) worked at E. Grand Blvd. and DuBois for many many years at Smith Envelopes, 2460 E. Grand Blvd. was the address, Detroit 11. There street there now. jjaba learned to set type and run a press in that bldg. in the 1959s.
jjaba's father was buried in Waldheim family plot in sburban Chicago.

jjaba, Westside Yeshiva Bukkor.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jjaba, Jams, Hornwrecker, Steve and all of the others that have taken the time and the effort to help with information about the mysterious building on Yemens St and the visitation information concerning Beth Olem Cemetery. I called the GM Plant that surrounds the cemetery and they were no help at all. One comment I got was, “What cemetery on the plant grounds?”

I have followed-up with:
Congregation Shaarey Zedek
(248) 357-5544

And, they directed me to:
Shaarey Zedek Cemetery
(248) 723-8884

The cemetery was closed when I called but I left a message. So, when I get the information about visitation I’ll post it on this thread for anyone that wants to visit.

menorah

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary from Shaarey Zedek Cemetery called me this morning in reference to my call concerning visitation dates and times for Beth Olem Cemetery. Unfortunately, I missed the Spring visitation date by one (1) day. The visitation was Sunday, April 9, 2006 from 10-12 Noon. The next visitation date for Beth Olem Cemetery is Sunday, September 17, 2006 from 10-12 Noon.

Mary did say that if I had a tour of some sort that she could make arrangements for a visitation. Maybe this is something we could consider if there was enough interest.

beth olem

Livedog2

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1040
Posted From: 66.2.148.157
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While this might not be the first synagogue, it is the earliest one I could find, from 1884, aside from the coal and cordwood yard next door, everything around it is single family dwellings.

Synagogue Congress & St Antoine

Maps from the 1920s show a laundry occupying this space, with Sts. Peter and Paul behind it, on Larned, before it moved to Jefferson.

Livedog2

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 71.10.61.35
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the location on Yemans St. and checked for all of these items, "The cornerstone of a synagogue is chisled in English and Hebrew. There are Stars of David, there are evidences of muzuzot on front and rear doors. There are name signs in English and Hebrew."

I did not find any of these items so I am assuming that the, "building at 2935 Yemens St. just east of Jos. Campau on the north side of the street in Hamtramck.", never was a Synagogue.

Appropriate for me that I went there today and am reporting on this on Holy Thursday, the Celebration of the Last Supper.

Shalom.

Livedog2

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2461
Posted From: 66.167.210.27
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, that looks like that shul could have been the Shaarey Zedek version 1.0. I believe 1.1 was behind the DIA, 1.2 is 'the Hank Greenberg shul' on Chicago and Lawton, and 1.3 the fabulous winged edifice out at end of the Lodge.

Expat... Regarding Beth Abraham [1.1 or 2] / Messiah Missionalry Baptist by U of D High, I caught this shot driving by one day. The Messiah sign was down down for some repairs and I got this lucky revelation of the the old and new. It says it all.

Beth Abraham

Jjaba

Post Number: 3624
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Livedog2 for settling the issue.

Take that same criteria jjaba gave you and nose around any bldg. on the Detroit synagogue tour.
You'll be surprized what you can find and understand Lowell's dedication to this project.

The Jewish Historical Society of Michigan and the numerous books about Detroit Jews will afford you very precise histories of Jewish communal sites in our city. The JCC on Drake should be of considerable help to you.

jjaba.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the Ukranian Church above [right across from the Polonia Restaurant in Hmtck BTW] I run across buildings now and then that I swear must have been shuls. I run excitedly home to my city guides only to be disappointed.

One such is what turned out to be the former Harger Memorial Methodist Church at 9770 Quincy just south of Joy on the Westside, and the block behind Beth Tichvah. Compare the below stylistically with B'nai Zion, the Humphrey Shul [and to a lesser extent BethTichvah] and you will see why this one really lit me up. Plus it was right in the heart of the shtetlhood.

harger

Mhc
Username: Mhc

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I was in the Detroit area (in February) I looked for one of the kosher delis that I used to go to back in the '70s, on 9 Mile or 10 Mile between Greenfield and Coolidge. I saw none, let alone one that I recognized. Are there still any good kosher delis anywhere in the Detroit area?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3966
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mhc

Actually there is one kosher deli left on 9 Mile and Coolidge in Downtown Oak Park. Just look for the sign. and there's a another kosher deli on Greenfield just north of I-696 FWY. Go check it out.

Livedog2

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I started this thread my question was, "Where did the Jews in Detroit live for the past 200
years?" This has been such a rich thread for me I have learned things I never even thought about before. It is thus when a quest for knowledge is pursued with an open mind. Furthermore new knowledge leads to a thirst for more knowledge and so on and so forth.

In the spirit of new knowledge, I have more questions that I am sure that many of you on this thread can answer. The first question has to do with someone commenting to me that a Rabbi was shot and killed in the pulpit of his Synagogue in Detroit. I can find no information concerning this incident and it seems like an (Well I can't even characterize it because it seems so surreal to even think of an act such as this.) oxymoron when you say killed, Rabbi and Synagogue all in the same sentence.

The other question may be outside of the purview of this “DetroitYes” website but I’ll ask anyway. In keeping with the spirit and knowledge of The Lost Synagogues of Detroit I wonder if anyone has done something similar in Germany such as a Lost Synagogues of Germany? With the desecration and devastation of all things Jewish that took place in Germany I would think this would be important to record for posterity’s sake. More questions from an inquiring mind.

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3627
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rabbi Morris Adler was gunned down in his Shaarey Zedek Synagogue on Bell Rd. near W. 11 Mile Rd., (Southfield, Mich.)the one visible from the John C. Lodge/Northwestern Highway. The killer was a disturbed member of the synagogue.
The roadway is marked as the Morris Adler Memorial Highway. The congregation moved out there in 1962 from their Chicago Blvd. and Lawton location.

On Feb. 12, 1966, as Rabbi Adler was finishing preaching about Abraham Lincoln to 900 congregants, 23 yr. old Richard Wishnetsky, grabbed the microphone, went on a tirade, shot the Rabbi twice, and then kiled himself.

Wishnetsky had graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Univ. of Michigan and was taking graduate classes from Joyce Carol Oates at Univ. of Detroit. Later, she wrote a short story about the terrible event. The book is called "Last Days" (Dutton).

Rabbi Adler went into a coma, dying a month later. The shooter died about 3 days after he shot himself. Two shots landed in the ceiling of the stunning, tourist attaction, synagogue. It was a terrible Shabbos day in Detroit.

Beloved Rabbi Morris Adler was 59 yrs. old.

jjaba.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3628
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for Jewish food, there are Kosher and non-Kosher "style" restaurants and delicatessens all over the NW suburbs. They run from Oak Park, Southfield, Farmington Hills, and W. Bloomfield.
Grocery stores abound in Jewish items, sandwiches, etc.

The Stage Restaurant on Orchard Lake Road is one that jjaba enjoys.

jjaba.

Livedog2

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, thank you for the incredible story about Rabbi Morris Adler and his untimely murder. I am speechless!

Livedog2

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.43.117.118
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, the deli on Greenfield is Breadbasket Deli.They are in with Farmer Jack and a Jewish meat market in a strip mall.

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know Why Mr. Adler was shot? Or did the shooter take that bit of knowlage with him?

Livedog2

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, I was trying to figure out why I never heard of the tragedy of Rabbi Morris Adler at his Shaarey Zedek Synagogue on Bell Rd. near W. 11 Mile Rd. So, I re-read your email saying that it happened on Feb. 12, 1966 and I figured out why. I was on my 1st tour-of-duty in South Vietnam at the time!

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3631
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shooter yelled the following into the microphone. As people saw what was going on, they tried to grab the microphone, but then Rabbi Adler said, "Get back, he has a gun." So they ducked for cover.

Richard Wishnetsky with gun in hand, "This congregation is a travesty. It has made a mockery by its phoniness and hypocrisy of the beauty and the spirit of Judaism."

He then shot at the ceiling twice, hit the rabbi twice, and shot himself in the head. February 12, 1966.

jjaba, Westside Yeshiva Bukkor.

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that makes sense.... I guess.... Not..

Enjoying the thread and learning a lot from it. Keep it coming.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3639
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the photo of Beth Abraham Synagogue, on W. Seven Mile Rd.
As stated, jjaba attended BBYO chapter meetings there regularly in the late 1950s. It was a newer bldg. at the time. That congreagation died out and was absorbed by some other, and built in the suburbs.

jjaba, Westside Torah Bukkor.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1046
Posted From: 216.203.223.81
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, any synagogues that you can't locate yet? I've found about a dozen of them on the East Midtown map. Do you know the location of Shaarey Zedek 1.2, the one before the Chicago Rd one? I can't seem to locate it, and want to post a map of the bldg with some int and ext photos I've found.

Here is a photo of the Jewish Cultural Center at 2705 Joy Rd, from WSU.

Jewish Cultural Center

Jjaba

Post Number: 3642
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cars tell us it is about 1949, a strong car year post WWII.

Jewish Community Centers such as these are important to the community. Activities typically include concerts, plays, library, music lessons, discussion groups, rec. facilities, day camping, vocational training, Americanization lessons, Jewish welfare agencies, Jewish vocational services, Jewish family counseling services, historical society, community newspaper, book store, Kosher cafe.

Thanks, Hornwrecker. Your work is wonderful.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3643
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2705 Joy Road is between Linwood and Lawton.
This would have put it squarely in the Jewish neighborhood, 1930-1960.
After about 1960, the Wyoming-Curtis area predominates and the JCC is at Meyers and Curtis, farther into Northwest Detroit.

This Joy Road location could have also been a United Hebrew Schools Branch, teaching day school or after-school programs.

In 1950, UHS built a new bldg. next to B'Nai Moshe' Synagogue on Dexter Blvd. which jjaba attended, 1951-55. Later, it was sold to the D

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2477
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, I think [not certain] Shaarey Zedek "1.2" was behind the DIA near the B'nai Israel at Ferry and Beubien. I remember seeing it when it was abandoned and then when it was being demolished, I would guess around 1980, but that was before I was actively collecting photos of the ruins of Detroit. I am learning this like everybody else. Shtelhood.com is an audience authored website. So if you find any new sites, please let me know. Even my numbering system is suspect.

quote:

The Congregation Shaarey Zedek, Southfield, is a Jewish synagogue located in Southfield. It has its roots during the Civil War, when a group of followers of Traditional Judaism withdrew from the Beth El Society in Detroit to found the Shaarey Zedek Society. In 1877, the congregation purchased its first building at Congress and St. Antoine. Shaarey Zedek was the first Conservative Jewish congregation in the Detroit Area. In 1913, it was one of the founding congregations of the United Synagogue of America. The synagogue has had six different structures since its inception.

http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/news/pressreleases.asp?ID=1 77

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2478
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2705 Joy Road would have been just east of the Free Burial Association. Google satellite shows an empty foot print there now.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3648
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shaarey Zedek had a synagogue in the way of the Edsel Ford Expy., the street of which excapes jjaba at the moment.

jjaba.

Danny

Post Number: 3978
Posted From: 141.217.173.162
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba the old Shaarey Zedek synagogue was at Brush St. near Harper St. The area was torn down for the I-94 FWY. ( I'm not writing about the first ever Shaarey Zedek synagogue on the corner of Winder and Brush at Brush Park.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 24.233.62.176
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rabbi Adler was a dear friend of my grandfather. This has been the first instance in over 35 years I have read anything concerning him. February 12, 1966 was a very sad day for our family and my Grandfather. Thanks jjaba for the kind memory.

Quozl, from the Westside, many moons ago.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 244
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the book "Echoes of Detroit's Jewish Communities" by Irwin J. Cohen, a massive book (8 1/2 x 11, 346 pages)detailing the history of metro Detroit's Jewish communities and people. Tons of great photos, too!

Expat
Username: Expat

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 24.60.133.101
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, Jjaba, Boshna, et al.: so here's my crackpot idea: if U. of D. High ever does succeed in purchasing the former Beth Abraham, current Messiah Baptist Church buiding, it should create some kind of "ecumenical center of Detroit's religions." Here in one building would be the intersection of three major Detroit religious traditions: Jewish, black Protestant, and Catholic.

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 66.77.102.10
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba writes:
"On Feb. 12, 1966, as Rabbi Adler was finishing preaching about Abraham Lincoln to 900 congregants, 23 yr. old Richard Wishnetsky, grabbed the microphone, went on a tirade, shot the Rabbi twice, and then kiled himself. "

I was there that horrible day, though I was 14 years old at the time and in another room away from the main sanctuary at youth services. I will never forget the wave of terror and shock in the congregation, as we made our way outside and discovered what had happened.
I recall seeing a blood soaked Wishnetsky being loaded into the ambulance.

Phil

Jjaba

Post Number: 3651
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are heart-felt and vivid memories of the assination of Rabbi Morris Adler, Alva Sholem, by congregant, Richard Wishnetsky, also deceased.

This shooter, was seated in the first row, and Adler knew him as a deeply troubled man who he was counselling. Wishnetsky jumped out of his seat, and onto the bimah (pulpit). Adler was shot at point blank range. Adler had just finished delivering his sermon about the Emancipation Proclamation of Abraham Lincoln, on the President's Birthday.

Congregation Shaarey Zedek has had 6 locations, 5 were in Detroit. This was the first major Detroit congregation to bolt from Detroit, and the exodus was led by Rabbi Adler. Jews were becoming upwardly mobile, Jews were moving to the suburbs to newer housing. Wishnetsky was troubled by the hypocrisy of materialism in Jewish life, this new building, this "Cathedral Judaism."

Lowell's "synagogue tour" shows the Detroit antecedents, small neighobrhood shules, where Jews walked on Shabbos for a day of rest and prayer.

Now Wishnetsky was a bright man. He graduated with honors from Univ.of Michigan in political science and in his angst, he dreamed of killing President Johnson, and Defense Secretary Mc Namara. Rabbi Adler was much closer. The Rabbi had decided to counsel the man, instead of referring him to outside help.

Rabbi Adler was a mentor to elected officials, mayors, governors, Presidents. He mediated labor disputes. To this day, Congregation Shaary Zedek is a foremost national leader.

zichron o li'v' racha. (May his memory be Blessed.)

jjaba, Who davened at Shaarey Zedek on Chicago Blvd. a few yrs. after Hank Greenberg)

Rabbi Adler, Of Blessed Memory, had been a Chaplain in World War II. He died March 11, 1966. Two days later, he was buried after a service attended by 15,000 persons.

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 66.77.102.10
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,
You've conveyed more than I ever knew about rabbi Adler. My folks were not a member of Shaarey Zedek, but rather Beth Aaron on Wyoming. They were out of town and I was staying with an Aunt and Uncle that weekend.
May I ask if you were there that day as well?

Phil

Jjaba

Post Number: 3652
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba was not there, no. jjaba welcomes Philm to The Forum.

Beth Aaron on Wyoming and Curtis was already in another neighobrhood. jjaba lived on Northlawn near Schoolcraft, in a Goyisha area. We had two kindz neighbors, Catholics and Publics. jjaba belonged to the latter.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1127
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a brochure in the mail today advertising that local Jewish classical/popular pianist, Dave Syme, is giving a concert at Temple Beth El on May 4. $25 gets you in the door, a wine and hor d'oeuvre ( how do you make a kosher hor d'oeuvre?), reception and the concert. Bargain price. I believe his father was a rabbi and his brother is a rabbi. Dave is talented, and I have about 6 of his CD's.
jjaba--you owe me one. See you at the front door.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3653
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Syme is self-taught and he is a favorite. He loves to talk, explain, and then play the hell out of something. his father, Rabbi Syme, was well known.

jjaba.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1055
Posted From: 66.2.148.82
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are the photos of Shaarey Zedek, prior to the Chicago Blvd move, from the WSU/VMC archives. I haven't been able to pin down an exact address yet, as the 1921 maps don't show it in the volume that has the Harper/Brush area, and have to search other volumes to find it.

Shaarey Zedek

Shaarey Zedek  interior

Shaarey Zedek  interior

Jjaba

Post Number: 3656
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this incredible building the Brush and Harper Bldg.? It looks much bigger than the Chicago Blvd. @ Lawton Albert Kahn building.

wow, Shaarey Zedek!

jjaba, Happy Pesach.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 1992
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As we face the future, could I ask the wise contributors on this thread to please visit the Iran/Israel thread in Non-Detroit Issues? I would appreciate your thoughts on what, if anything, should be done about Iran, with their daily threats to "kill all Jews" and to wipe Israel off the map even as they develop nukes.

Many thanks - and thanks as well for the education and enlightenment that this heritage-rich thread has provided.

Livedog2

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had trepidation about starting this thread because I thought, well, you know!

But, I had lots of questions and not enough answers. This has been a terribly informative and rich thread about one of the threads, as in weaving threads, of the fabric of Detroit.

I have learned so much about Detroit and Jews; and, Jews in Detroit; and, Detroit Jews; and, you get the idea. So, thank you to all of you that have contributed to this thread and my knowledge about you and Detroit.

And, while I am at it does anyone have a photo of the Sisler & Lask Jewelry Store or any of the businesses on Davison Ave. one block east of Jos. Campau. I would love to see at photo of the Lasky Theatre right around the corner from Davison Ave. during its heyday. When Mr. Sisler died they changed the name to Lasky Jewelry. When the neighborhood changed drastically Mr. Lasky moved into Hamtramck on the corner of Jos. Campau and Yemans St.

He has since died and his son took over the business but was never the businessman his father was. It is some other business now, I think, still a jewelry store but with a different name. But, if you look above the new name of the store on the Yemans St side of the building you can see the sign with the name Lasky Jewelry.

Livedog2 waxing nostalgic and starting to talk like Jjaba in the third person! smile

Jjaba

Post Number: 3659
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba will point out again, that Detroit Jews have worked and lived all over this city. To this day, you can find Jewish factories, Jewish retail, and Jewish professionals serving all over the city and metro.

When jjaba was coming up in the 1940s and 1950s, he was amazed that Jews seemed to live in a cluster but they worked, or owned property, elsewhere. Jewish teachers are everywhere, Jewish laborer, Jewish politicians, Jewish bureaucrats, Jewish Judges, Jewish philanthropy, Jewish wholesalers, Jewish factory owners.

In the 1920-1960s, small synagogues no larger than a residential lot, dotted Detroit. Lowell's synagogue site gives you the perspecive with addresses. Delray, Fenkell, Dexter, Davison, Oakland, Linwood, Wyoming, Hamtramck, Eastside, Westside, Jews have worked, lived, and worshipped.

For various periods, many Detroit high schools were filled with Jews; Northern, Eastern, Western, Northwestern, Mumford, Mackenzie, Cass Tech., Ford, Cooley, Central. Oy, jjaba can see the kids schlepping their celli and violins home on the bus like it was yesterday. jjaba rode the Grand River from Cass Tech., previously mentioned.
And yes, he was in printing dept. with other Jews, training to be Yiddische Arbiters.

jjaba, Westsider.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3660
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Detroit, there are very few Jewish place names. Although Jews lived and worked there, you don't find Jewish street names. In other American cities, you might find a Kaplan Lane, a Greenburg Road. Not in Detroit.

It is always a shocker when travelling overseas, when jjaba comes across Jewish place names. In some countries, Jews are more apt to name things for themselves. Not in Detroit.

Even in New york City or other large Americnan cities, Jews avoided making things look "Too Jewish". Let the English, the Dutch, the Germans name things. In the West, let the Spanish name things although Jews were right there from the start.

Look around Detroit suburbs where Jews built from scratch. You just don't see official names of towns, streets, subdivisions with Jewish names. It just isn't done.

Jews would rather call something, Versailles, Nottingham, Shrewsbury, or El Dorado than use our names.

Small town Jews thought they's wink at you. If you see anything "Eden" or "Edenville", it really means "Yidden." (jjaba imparting some Yiddischa humor in this Goyisha world.)

jjaba.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 69.242.218.76
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before there was Sherwood Forest and Palmer Woods, before there was Franklin, Bloomfield Hills. and West Bloomfield there was the Boston / Edison Neighborhood and the various adjacent similarly styled streets.

During the 1950's, Rabbi Morris Adler lived in an elegant yellow brick home at 2062 Edison near the corner of 14th Street and within walking distance of Shaarey Zedek which was on Chicago Blvd. and Lawton. The house still has its wonderful leaded, beveled glass windows across its facade just as when the Adler family resided there.

And before there was Mumford High School, Southfield Lathrup HS, and West Bloomfield HS, there was Central HS and Northern HS. Many of the best legal, religious, business, and financial minds in southeast Michigan were graduates of Central and Northern High Schools.

As present day Detroiters, we are the beneficiaries of a long, proud tradition of excellence and achievement that was, and is today, found in the Boston / Edison area.

Livedog2

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said Neilr!

Livedog2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1059
Posted From: 63.41.8.201
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An enlargement of the front of the prior Shaarey Zedek. Lions of Zion? Book of Daniel symbolism or just NFL fans?

Shaarey Zedek  front

This is the building that they moved to on Chicago Blvd, not an improvement IMO, and no lions. Looks like standard Catholic church, design #3 without the bell tower.

Shaarey Zedek  Chicago Blvd

Jjaba

Post Number: 3663
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, the distance between the last two Detroit Shaarey Zedek Synagogues is 4.10 miles, too far to walk.

As the Congregants migrated West across Woodward Ave., the synagogue built to accomodate them.
Rmember, Jews walk to synagogue on Shabbos.

As stated previously, Detroit Jews have moved every generation, 25 years. This ecological pattern has been replicated for 200 yrs. among this community.

jjaba, sociology lesson.

Danny

Post Number: 3985
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish the all ethnic Jews just stayed in Detroit and avoid all the modern suburban " Schmuck!" That way when I walk or ride my bike through the west side I would see the well preserved ethnic Jewish community. Where they work, play, and walk to their synagogues on Shabbos.

L,Chaim (To Life)From my Jewish Godrelatives who grew up the West Side along 12th to 14th streets to the Pembroke St. in NW side of Detroit.

Username: 1630

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not Jewish, but oddly enough you have named the cross streets of the only two addresses I have lived in here in Detroit. Grew up right off of 12th Street and now live right off of Pembroke. Loved reading this entire posting. I remember getting off the 7 mile bus in the winter and purchasing a bagel for a nickel from New York Bagel on 7 Mile and Schaeffer and eating it while walking home. The synagogue located near there became Greater Grace Temple and is now something else. The Greater Grace addition (the Great Shoebox) looms over the original structure, altho the last time I looked you could still see the Star of David in the railing.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3670
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a prominent corner new bldg. in the 1970s as Jews moved North and West. The corner was over-built given that on the SW corner was a fruit stand in a shack or a tent.

After jjaba's family left Northlawn and bought a single house, we moved to 18967 Sussex. That's not far away.

jjaba, Westside Memories.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While driving around the old Shtetlhood and shooting today...
SZ
Little has changed from the picture above.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3675
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lowell, 2500 posts. Atta boy!
Your award is being sent in the mail by jjaba.

jjaba, Shaarey Zedek Torah Bukkor.

Danny

Post Number: 3989
Posted From: 141.217.173.162
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,

You say your family had moved from Northlawn to 18967 Sussex just north of W.7 Mile between James Couzens and Greenfield. The Neighborhood today is now well kept up and so is the prominent black businesses there.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3678
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghettoman knows his NW Detroit. The neighborhood is built of fine single brick homes, mostly post WWII. Jews moved out as the generation aged for the green leafy suburbs of Oak Park, Southfield, and Farmington Hills. Many Jewish kids attended Mumford or Ford High School or went down to Cass Tech. from this W. Seven Mile Rd. area.

jjaba lived there for a time, taking the Hamilton Express downtown or to Wayne State. Ghettoman might remember when the Hamilton actually made stops on the John C. Lodsge bus cut-outs. Passengers walked up the stairs to their destinations. In the evening after work, they could wait for outbound buses in the new 1950s ditch.

Danny

Post Number: 3997
Posted From: 141.217.174.235
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For sure jjaba, I used to lived in the area called Martin Park, University Homes, Sherwood Forrest, Pilgrim Village, Rosedale Park, Hubbard King and Pymouth Rock subdivisions of NW Detroit. Temple Isreal on 17400 Manderson St. At Palmer Park Now (Crackhead Estates) was the last reformed mostly conservative Jewish synangogue in all of NW Detroit until it moved to Bloomfield Hills and Now at West Bloomfield on the corner of Orchard Lake and Walnut Lake Rd.( 16 Mile Rd.)

Jjaba

Post Number: 3690
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghettoman has more residences than the number of Jews on Oakland Avenue. You go girl.

jjaba, LOL.

Livedog2

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help me with this one all of you Westsiders. Many years ago like maybe between 1958 and 1959 I worked for a supermarket on 7 Mile Rd. West of the Palmer Park Golf Course and maybe even West of Livernois on the South side of the street. They catered to an upscale clientele in Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forrest, et al and the unique service, as far as I was concerned, was that they delivered the groceries right to the customer’s homes. I worked as a delivery boy driving a red, approximately 1958, GMC, Handi-Van. The houses I delivered to were quite large and all had servants because I always delivered to the servant’s entrance. And, the thing I remember the most was delivering cases of New York Seltzer Water in the reusable seltzer bottles. I have tried to remember the name of that supermarket for the longest time. Anyone with any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

gmc

Livedog2

Danny

Post Number: 4003
Posted From: 141.217.174.235
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a synagogue on the corner of Greenfield on Pembroke where my Jewish (God Mother) used to live before she move to West Bloomfield TWP. It was called the Gemuith Chassodim II. It has a mosaic picture of the memorah at the front of the synagogue until the new owners of the black church painted over it.

Before my Jewish God relatives went to EL MOSHE synagogue they went to Hungarian synagogue in Delray.

Livedog2

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you feel about your old Synagogues being taken over by__________?

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an interesting image and story to go along with it.

"Hundreds of thousands of people worked at Dodge Main over the years. This is one of the worker's pins. The symbol, which looks like a Star of David, actually is an early Dodge emblem denoting precision design."

dodge
Image and text credited to: Greg Kowalski, HAMTRAMCK: SOUL OF A CITY (Chicago: Arcadia Publishing, 2003) 111

It would be interesting to delve deeper into the story behind who designed the emblem and what the motivation might have been. But, I'm sure that piece of information would be too obscure. But, if anyone out there knows about this I would be very interested to know the background and history.

Livedog2

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 24.208.234.52
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dodge Brothers, John and Horace, used an emblem that has been best described as "intersecting Deltas", an expression of the two Brothers' interdependence. There are many crackpot theories that "they wanted to taunt Henry Ford" (not true, they were the key supplier to Ford from his beginnings until the Model T took off. Ford made the Dodge brothers very wealthy, and the Dodge brothers made Ford sucessful, and wealthy. The Dodge brothers and Ford were still social to each other, after their business relationship ended and the Dodge brothers became competetors. The Dodge bros. interlocking deltas are also thought to be Masonic in origin. But it is not a star of David in the way that Jews use it. Notice how the two Deltas are in dofferent colors on this authentic sample.Dodge bros emblem

Livedog2

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 56packman for the insight into the emblem on the Dodge emblem denoting precision design. In going back and looking at the image I posted I can see that they are interlocking deltas. This is much different from the true Star of David in the Jewish sense that I included in my initial post when I started this thread. And, different from the Star of David on the Flag of Israel.

start of david

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any openly gay rainbow Rabbis smile 27 in the Detroit area leading their flock, sheep so to speak?

Livedog2 ({:-)~

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 558
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the Flintstones have a gay old time - jjaba dabba doo? (poetic license)

Jjaba

Post Number: 3746
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mogen David. Star of David. Shield of David.
Also, see wine.

A six pointed star from 2 equilateral triangles.
An emblem of Judaism.

Gut Shabbos.

jjaba.

Livedog2

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a follow-up to the Jewish-American war veteran Lt. Raymond R. Zussman recipient of the Medal of Honor question I asked about on this thread. I could not find a marker of any sort at the Lt. Raymond R. Zussman Memorial Park right across the street from Hamtramck City Hall but I went back to City Hall and talked with Greg Kowalski, Chairman of the Hamtramck Historical Commission and together we found the Memorial Marker.

So, here is a photo of that marker and the verbatim inscription on that marker.

“This park is dedicated in memory of Lt. Raymond R. Zussman killed in action, France, Sept. 23, 1944, Congressional Medal of Honor, Purple Heart. Donated by Jewish War Veterans, Hamtramck Businessmen and Lt. Raymond Zussman Post & Auxiliary 333.”

marker

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3781
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Livedog2.

Jewish War Veterans have been a strong fraternity for decades and decades. Jewish men and women have served with honor in our military and if you ever walk through a big American Military Cemetery, you are sure to see those Stars of David gracing some of the burial plots.

jjaba was recently in Tunisia and attended such a cemetery. Quite a few Jewish soldiers were buried there.

jjaba.

Livedog2

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attached is a photo of Boesky’s Delicatessen on 12th and Hazelwood. Maybe some of you Westsiders might know the answer to this question. Is this the same Boesky as in Ivan Boesky of famous or is that infamous insider trading fame? Might it have been his father’s establishment? It seems to me that his father had a junk yard or some such thing over on Hastings back in the 1930s. Can anyone speak to these questions with a little background?

boesky

Livedog2

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2585
Posted From: 68.156.43.202
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?? I though Boesky's was on Dexter.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2941
Posted From: 71.148.29.71
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to answer yes to the Boesky's question, even though I am not a westsider.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3803
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba to the rescue.
Boeskey's (pronounced BOW-eskey's) was at 12th and Hazelwood. The Hebrew on the facia board is "KOSHER" Delicatessen. "Delicatessen" is the combination of Delicious and Essen, "to eat" in Yiddish.

Ivan Boesky (he said Bo-ski) which is tipoff that he was fronting, was a nephew. The Deli was an uncle.

As for the crowd in this wonderful photo, who knows?

12th Street is now Rosa Parks. It was the Jewish main commercial street in Detroit, 1930-60.
The whole area went up in flames, July 1967.

12th, Linwood, Dexter were strong Jewish commercial areas, 1930-60.

jjaba, 12th St. Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Livedog2

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking closer at the inscription for the photo it says, "Where Harry Millman was shot." I wonder who Harry Millman was and why he got shot? The photo looks like it was taken in the 1930s sometime. Anybody have anymore information on this incident?

question mark

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After doing exhaustive research on the records of all Medal of Honor recipients I found that the only Jewish Medal of Honor recipient that also entered the service in Detroit, MI but was born in Hamtramck, MI was Raymond R. Zussman. Truly an American, Michigan, Detroit and Hamtramck hero!

I believe he deserves to have his Medal of Honor citation herein transcribed for you all to see:

*ZUSSMAN, RAYMOND
Rank and Organization: Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army, 756th Tank Battalion. Place and Date Noroy le Bourg, France, 12 September 1944. Entered Service at: Detroit, Mich. Birth: Hamtramck, Mich. G.O. No.: 42, 24 May 1945.
Citation: On 12 September 1944, 2d Lt. Zussman was in command of 2 tanks operating with an infantry company in the attack on enemy forces occupying the town of Noroy le Bourg, France. At 7 p.m., his command tank bogged down. Throughout the ensuing action, armed only with a carbine, he reconnoitered alone on foot far in advance of his remaining tank and the infantry. Returning only from time to time to designate targets, he directed the action of the tank and turned over to the infantry the numerous German soldiers he had caused to surrender. He located a road block and directed his tanks to destroy it. Fully exposed to fire from enemy positions only 50 yards distant, he stood by his tank directing its fire. Three Germans were killed and 8 surrendered. Again he walked before his tank, leading it against an enemy-held group of houses, machinegun and small arms fire kicking up dust at his feet. The tank fire broke the resistance and 20 enemy surrendered. Going forward again alone he passed an enemy-occupied house from which Germans fired on him and threw grenades in his path. After a brief fire fight, he signaled his tank to come up and fire on the house. Eleven German soldiers were killed and 15 surrendered. Going on alone, he disappeared around a street corner. The fire of his carbine could be heard and in a few minutes he reappeared driving 30 prisoners before him. Under 2d Lt. Zussman's heroic and inspiring leadership, 18 enemy soldiers were killed and 92 captured.

* Posthumously awarded

Zussman MOH

Livedog2

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 24.28.88.45
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog,

Harry Millman was a member of the purple gang. He is buried in the same cemetery as my great-grandparents.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi- bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=717554 1&pt=Harry%20Millman

Cheers,

Sarge

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 2341
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2 -

WOW!

Thanks for the research. A lotta folks are celebrating Mothers Day today thanks to Raymond Zussman.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3815
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarge, excellent research on Harry Millman.
It puts some knowledge with the Livedog2 photo.

For more info. on the Purple Gang, you can find it previously posted on this Forum. Do some digging if interested.

The Sept., 1931, 1740 Collingwood Massacre (Apt. 211) by the Purple Gang on the Little Navy Gang has been the subject of considerable research.

jjaba, Westside 12th St. Torah Bukkor.

Livedog2

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Sarge for the great research! You did so good on the Harry Millman question that I'd like you to go back and look at my question on this thread, "Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 12:03 am:" and see if you or anyone else can shed any light on the name of that super market.

Jjaba, thank you for the information on Boesky's Deli and the ownership. My father when he was alive, may he rest in peace, told me that that whole 12th street area back in the 1930s-40s was a vital and busy part of the city, day and night!
I’m still curious about Ivan Boesky’s father. Did he own some kind of business on Hastings St.? It seems I remember stories that he owned a junk yard or some such thing. Can anyone speak to that fact?

ivan

Livedog2

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 229
Posted From: 24.28.88.45
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog,

The Millman research was really just luck. I started my legal career in Detroit and used to use a PI named Millman. My mother grew up with the guy and remembered that when they were kids that he had relatives in the purples. I figured it was probably an easy google search and it turned up paydirt. She did not remember the name of the market however. I plan on calling my great aunt soon (almost 90 but sharp as a tack) to see if she can remember it.

It sounds like you, Jjaba and my folks may have ran in the same circles. My mother, aunt, and uncle grew up on Calvert in the late 40's and early 50's(Doty), Richton in the early 50's (Roosevelt), Freeland in the late 50's (Vernor/HFHS) and in Oak Park in the late 50's and early 60's (OPHS)

I wonder if there is a connection?

Cheers,

Sarge

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 284
Posted From: 24.208.234.52
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boesky is not au uncommon name, although it does not appear in Alan Sherman's parody of "dear old Donegal" entitled "shake hand with your uncle max" a good primer on hasidic surnames

Shake Hands With Your Uncle Max
(Alan Sherman)

I sell a line of plastics
And I travel on the road
And I have a case of samples
Which believe me is a load

Every night a strange cafe
A strange hotel and then
Early in the morning
I am on the road again

When the season's over
And my lonesome journey ends
That's the only time I see
My family and my friends

I drive up Ocean Parkway
And before I stop the car
My ma leans out the window
And she hollers, "Here we are!"

Shake hands with your Uncle Max, my boy
And here is your sister Shirl
And here is your cousin Isabel
That's Irving's oldest girl
And you remember the Tishman twins
Gerald and Jerome
We all came out to greet you
And to wish you welcome home

Meet..
Merowitz, Berowitz, Handelman, Schandelman
Sperber and Gerber and Steiner and Stone
Boskowitz, Lubowitz, Aaronson, Baronson,
Kleinman and Feinman and Freidman and Cohen

Smallowitz, Wallowitz, Tidelbaum, Mandelbaum
Levin, Levinsky, Levine and Levi
Brumburger, Schlumburger, Minkus and Pinkus
And Stein with an "e-i" and Styne with a "y"

Shake hands with your Uncle Sol mein boy
And here is your brother Sid
And here is your cousin Yetta
Who expects another kid

Whenever you're on the road my boy
Wherever you may roam
We'll all be here when you come back
To wish you welcome home

Klingon
Username: Klingon

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 66.202.51.125
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great thread, I had to join it.
My parents were married by Rabbi Adler ... I never knew the story though. How tragic.
9 mile and Coolidage - don;t forget Davison Coney Island, Tech Cleaners, Hammersteins Drugs.

Does anyone remember or have any knowledge of Klegon Drugs? There were 3 of them down around 12th Street somewhere?

Thanks

Hillelc
Username: Hillelc

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 67.170.83.84
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if anyone on this great thread could help. I am searching for any records (printed, photographic, etc.) of my grandfather's store.

It was called something like Jackson's Fish and Appeteizer or Harry's Fish and Appetizer or something like that. (Don't be fooled by the last name... my GGF chose "Jackson" to not sound so Jewish.)

Here's all I know:

My grandfather Harry Jackson worked at Mercury Paint on 12th Street a short distance to the right from Pingree Ave,(They lived at 1927 Pingree Ave. Apt.116. A one bedroom apartment with a murphy bed that came out of the living room wall.

It was 1942 that Harry left Mercury and opened the store about 2/3rds of a block to the left of Pingree.
Looking in from the entrance, on the right there was a tank with live Carp swimming in running water, then a flat angular metal bed with crushed ice for a variety of lake fish then two barrels of herring varieties (matjes and pickled).Then was Harryy's fish preparing setup
Across on the left side near the door the cash register and counter then two glass fronted refrigerator units filled one with a large variety of cheese, next one contained all the kinds of smoked fish,Sable,Carp,slabs of Lux to be hand sliced to order Chub, Goldeye.
Behind the aisle on the wall shelve with all kinds of canned good and canned fish.
About 2/3rds of the way down the store was a wall with a door and a window.Behind this wall Harry made Pickled Cukes and Tomatoes and Sourkraut
Harry's store was also on 12th Street A drugstore on the corner then Harry and then a fruit and vegetable store.To the right at the corner of Pingree was a wonderful restaurant---"The Cream of Michigan"

It appears that the store was likely on 12th somewhere between Claremount and Pingree. (At least that's my guess from the statements above.) I wonder if you could point me in the right direction.

Anything that you or your readers could do to help me would be greatly appreciated. I’ve already talked to the library system and the historical society and hit dead ends… This thread is my last hope for finding any record of the store... :-)

Thanks!

--hillel