Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :: Car / Homeowners Insurance in the City :: Mega Thread » Car Insurance in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dfisch
Username: Dfisch

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 69.137.217.91
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any advice on places to look for car insurance when living in Detroit or Hamtramck? I'm starting a grad program at Wayne State in the fall looking around for a place in the city (Midtown, Woodbridge or Hamtramck) and some of the quotes I've recieved so far from Progressive double what I'm currently paying in Ann Arbor. I'd prefer to live in the city but paying more than my 13 year old Jeep is worth on the bare minimum insurance coverage every 6 months seems outrageous if not flat out stupid. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jqls
Username: Jqls

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 68.43.81.255
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the city. Just lie and say you live at someone elses house. It is the only way to get a good rate. If your jeep is 13 years old, I assume you are just carrying basic coverage. So it does not matter. If you had a new vehicle you might not want to do that in case it was stolen. The insurance company would investigate and maybe not give you your pay back.

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 65.31.78.103
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump this. I have a newer car and need full coverage. I just moved from East Lansing so I gotta find a place that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Isn't McPhail doing something with this redlining?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3343
Posted From: 68.252.68.130
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Find a friend in Idaho, plate your car there, and when you make a claim, just tell the insurance company you were on vacation.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 671
Posted From: 194.138.39.52
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, because they NEVER target out of state plated cars!

Username: 1630

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insurance rates in Detroit are so high that they effectively criminalize auto ownership in Detroit. A lot of people here carry no insurance. Friends of mine who live elsewhere are simply astounded by the rates I pay. I also hear kids graduating from college cite it as one reason they won't move to the city. (For the record my rates are high (1500+ for six months) even though I am past my 20's and have a good driving and credit record.

You dare not get a moving violation; you'll have to take a second mortgage to cover the increase.

You might see if you qualify for a lower rate because of membership in an organization - state bar, aarp etc etc. I never recommend fraud, it can become inconvenient under certain circumstances.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 369
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move to Detroit. But have your Jeep still live in Ann Arbor. Do you you have family in the area/suburbs. Your Jeep could live there.

Don't be fooled by a good rate with a Detroit address. I've heard that they do that to get your business and then jack the rates as high as possible (i.e. as high as your willing to pay). My wife once tried insuring her car in the city. Shee shopped around. They (forget who) told her $350 a month for her 2000 Saturn (this was a couple years ago) so she said she she couldn't afford it and would have to cancel. They immediately dropped the price to $250 a month. If you must insure with a Detroit address, threaten to cancel your insurance and they might lower it to keep your business. THAT'S HOW THEY OPERATE. Flat out robbery. I say fuck em. Rob them instead with an address in the burbs, preferrably as far from Detroit as possible.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 318
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have family members who are in or were in the armed forces, you can apply for USAA insurance. My '94 Saab only costs $195.00 every 6 months with PLPD coverage through USAA and I live in a area in Detroit with high auto theft. Go to www.usaa.com for more info.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 374
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Chub that's awesome.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have a '92 Buick Regal with the same exact insurance in the same location. Strangly, it's $10.00 more every 6 months for the Buick! It looks like the Saab might be cheeper to insure due to a few different things, like the Saab having airbags and is very hard to steal. It also has an alarm system which the Buick doesn't have.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 69.212.47.164
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liberty mutual is one of the cheapest I've found. GMAC insurance was even cheaper, but I think you have to own a new GM vehicle.

(Message edited by pjazz on May 20, 2006)

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 234
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chub, no one beats USAA's rates, as I'm concerned! The only issue is being able to receive it in the first place, as you mentioned

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 69.212.47.164
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not all insurance Companies jack up the price after you've signed up in Detroit. In my experience it's only after a claim.

If they do just go to another company.I think I've had 3 to 4 insurace companies in the past 5 years mostly because I found a better rate. I find the out of state companies trying to get into the michigan market seem to give better rates.

Be careful giving the wrong address you could run into trouble making a claim. I think one of the mayors relatives was denied on a claim for giving the wrong address.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to constantly shop for car insurance, at least once a year to ensure you keep your rates down. This means you have to keep both your credit score up and you points down.

If you call the state and talk with someone about the cost of insurance in Detroit. This is the advice they will give you. We are really stuck living in the city, its not fair, so we have to continue to complain. Insuring your car outside the City, or driving without insurance contributes to this problem as it increases the deadbeat ratio.