Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Moving to Detroit - Where Should I Live? ::: » Apartment Suggestions? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lordwill21
Username: Lordwill21

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.62.65.99
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be moving to the detroit area to go to school at wayne state and was wondering if any of you could suggest some apartment complexes near the school or about 10-15min outside the school that are safe and clean for around 400-450 a month or cheaper; for a 1room.

and sorry for lurking so long; this is a great forum i've learned alot...

thanks

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 845
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Lafayette Towers or the Pavillion (both in Lafayette Park). There are a number of single apartments rented out by mom and pop operations in Corktown, Midtown, Hamtramck and Woodbridge that might fall into your classification. Pick up a copy of the Monitor, it's free, at any local bar or indoor public space to find comprehensive listings. Other places to check out:

www.modeldmedia.com
www.detroitmidtown.com/05/midt own.php
www.citylivingdetroit.com
www.loftwerks.com

If your budget happens to increase, I suggest the Millender Center, Kales, Lofts at Merchants Row, Lofts @ Woodward, Riverfront Towers and Greektown. All of those places are clean, secure and have access to parking. I live in Millender and love it. It can be a little pricey for the college student, but I see college students in my building all of the time.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 142
Posted From: 68.40.65.66
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

theres better apartments in the wayne area...Lafayette park or downtown is a little too far. Check out Phillips Manor @ Woodward/Willis or Forest arms at Second&Forest. Both within ur price range if you find a roomate..theyre porbably mostly two bedrooms. Maybe check out west canfield historic district for something cool in Midtown, on Canfield between 2nd and 3rd

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 656
Posted From: 68.20.140.8
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second Lafayette Towers. Studios are about $500 a month, maybe cheaper with not much of a view and on a lower floor. PlLus you can get secure parking for $10/month. LT is 5-10 minutes from Wayne State and you'll be able to walk downtown and to Eastern Market. I lived there for 3 years. It's a great neighborhood and hard to beat for the price.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1798
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at an apartment building on my street that might fit for you.

I think it is called the Eileen, but I might have the spelling off. Think it is 454 W Alexandrine. There is also a building across the street from it that the owners live in. I have no idea what they charge or what the places are like, but they are good people. If you stopped by you might be able to talk right to them.

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 24.192.166.67
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want real safety and not the lock yourself in mentality then try Sterling Hgts. 20 mins. away via freeway. Sorry but our Detroit is not quite there yet in terms of safety.

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1675
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The U.P. is great this time of year and is only about 50 minutes away via a prop jet.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 701
Posted From: 141.217.19.214
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sterling heights is never 20 minutes away. it will be at least a 40-50 minute commute if you leave anytime in the morning or are trying to come home in the afternoon.

There are a few nice looking apartments on ferry and palmer between cass and woodward. On street parking is very limited unless you cross over woodward to the other side. Now there are only a few building sout of the 6 or so in that area that actually look nice.

The 87 ferry listed here:http://detroitmidtown.com/05/m idtown.php?offset=10&type=&lid =126

The Phoenix listed here:http://detroitmidtown.com/05/m idtown.php?offset=50&type=&lid =40

And the Verona which is a silver building on Cass and Ferry. They have a rental office inside that you could go speak to.

They may not look like much from the pictures, but I have walked by them on a daily basis for the past year. Decent people walking out of them, well kept, and in your price range.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1239
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. Yeah, if you're going to suggest a suburb, at least make it a reasonably close one such as Dearborn, Ferndale or Grosse Pointe. I'd recommend living in the city in one of the previously suggested areas, though, unless you *really* want to be in a suburb. Sterling Heights might be a viable option if you're attending Oakland University.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1179
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20 minutes? maybe when you live at the southwest most corner of Sterling heights and you catch every green light and there isn't another car on the road....

I drive to warren (closer than sterling heights) from the WSU area every day and 20 minutes is a stretch to get there sometimes.

I don't know what rents at the belcrest are these days but that may be worth checking into, it is across the street from wsu on cass ave. I'd recommend the park shelton as well but that has gone entirely condo if I'm not mistaken

(Message edited by gravitymachine on July 20, 2006)

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 72.240.58.198
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't you just live on campus in one of their new dorms?

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 279
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papypacy_,

He asked about apartments around Wayne State. Obviously nothing you would recommend. How unfortunate.

I suggest Hamtramck and the Lafayette Towers as some other posters have suggested. Check out http://detroit.craigslist.org/ for apartments too.

BTW, I know plenty of 18-24 year old suburban girls that live in the city that are apparently not as scared as funboy above about living near school. To each their own.

Sterling Heights is not 20 minutes away if you hit traffic on 696 or 75, which on 696 is often in the morning.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 847
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Sterling Whites is a 20 minute comutte from WSU if you take an intercontinental ballistic missle.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

two tips for you:

(1)
live near OLD MAIN, or woodbridge. I personally like the Renaud complex on hancock and second. I will be living there, my two sisters live there, and many friends live there.

(2) if you don't want the renaud, contact Margaret Palmer:

www.MargaretPalmer.com
Margaret@Renaissanceinv.com

if she doesn't have something, she'll know someone who does... also, check the monitor and craigs list.

and for GODS SAKE... DO NOT... i repeat DO NOT live in sterling heights... you might get hit by E_Hemmingway's Ballistic Missle

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 147
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, yeah... the Renaud has studios (bed/living room w/ additional rooms for kitchen and bathrooms) priced at ~$400 with FREE HEAT... and it's safe...

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 233
Posted From: 70.212.91.181
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a quiet and low-key apartment building on Milwaukee and Second (kiddycorner from the State building) that rents studios for $400, 1 BR for $500, and combined studios (large one BRs) for $600. Utlitities included. (Parking is $15/month).

Contact Nan Rossell at Signature Associates 248.799-3141

Arcas
Username: Arcas

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 141.217.224.84
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I currently live in the dorms at WSU that Toledolaw05 mentioned (the newest one, on the corner of Anthony Wayne/Kirby). And I'll be moving into a house a bit northeast of the DIA in a month or so.

A few comments from me. Definately check out all the sites E_hemingway mentioned, especially the UCCA's site. Also, like a number of posters mentioned, Craigslist is one of your better tools. I was in the same position a few months ago looking for a place to live. Just spend a week or two checking the "apts/housing" and "rooms/shared" spots on Craigslist once a day. Within just a week of watching it, you'll have tons of options.

Or click on the main "Housing" option and use the search with terms like: WSU, Wayne State, Woodbridge, Corktown, New Center, Art Center, or Downtown Detroit.

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 24.192.166.67
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, pay only 600.00 a month for the priviledge of being begged for money by panhandlers, drunks and street people every morning on the way to your car. (that's if it isn't already at the local chop shop) That's your fault though because most people on this site blame the victim for the crime. There was a guy on here a few weeks ago who had two mountain bikes stolen from his garage and the people on here laughed at him and blamed him because he left the door unlocked. "Detroit Love", baby!

Lordwill21
Username: Lordwill21

Posted From: 68.62.65.99
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

toledolaw I lived in the dorms my first semester there last winter.... they charge almost 4grand a semester.. 4grand for 4rooms in a cramped dorm for not even a full 4months... that sucks eh heh

btw thanks everyone; ill wake up monday morning in hit up alot of the places you guys suggested!

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 284
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, enough.

Get back in your DeLorean before the bums get you.

Apparently you're able to control time in that thing. Anyone that would suggest Sterling Heights as a good choice for WSU considering gas prices, rent prices, and commuting time is on the rock.

Keith
Username: Keith

Posted From: 69.136.139.217
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to live in Hadley Hall ( 665 W Warren bet 2nd and 3rd) many yrs ago. It was and still appears to be a beautiful building with secure adjacent parking. It has a good central campus location. I don't know the currrent rents.

SOmeone else may have a more recent insight

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 66.208.233.74
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

contact http://campusvillage.com/Detro it/home.htm

for nice apartments on the north end of cass. or check out detroit's craigslist for apartment listings.

contrary to some idiot's opinions, midtown is safer than some suburbs. we have two different police departments, wayne state police and detroit. WSU police will respond to the least serious problem in a matter of minutes.

Second_ave
Username: Second_ave

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 68.40.223.253
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year I lived at the ABC Building (4609 Second @ the corner of Second and Prentis). It was a nice place with hardwood floors and a great view of downtown. Our 3 bedroom was $800/mo.

The Parker Market and Bronx Bar were right across the street which always provided for some late night people-watching entertainment. Parker was getting a facelift when I moved out . . . it's probably a billion times better there now than when I lived there . . .

The only downsides of that apartment were the miniscule kitchen with crappy appliances and like 2 feet of counterspace, and the fact that the laundry mat across the street closed up shop and it was a pain in the ass to make multiple trips from my third floor apt. to the one functioning washer in my building. Oh, and that my roommate's car was stolen.

But all in all, we were three girls living there and we always felt safe and comfortable. Definately recommended.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 270
Posted From: 68.55.115.238
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$550 for a room in Lofts @ Woodward looks like a steal if it's still available...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ roo/178055616.html

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 216.144.213.130
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a different end of the spectrum where would you rather live Riverfront Towers or Harbortown?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 849
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riverfront Towers. Even though it is its own gated enclave on the other side of the Joe, it is close to downtown, connected to the People Mover and an all around great place. Harbortown is a little more out of the way down on Jefferson, however that will probably change significantly once Rivertown is built up in the next few years.

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 336
Posted From: 69.209.138.56
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette Park is not FAR from WSU....I get to school in 5 minutes.
I'd go with that area personally (obviously) if you want to live near campus. Its safer than the areas around campus, and its a really good building, no complaints (except for a stolen bike seat!). The parking is a bonus as well.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 653
Posted From: 68.41.93.235
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It amazes me that so many people spend so much time on the forum. Yet, they have nothing postitive to say about the forumers here, the city of Detroit, or the minorities that make of the Metro Detroit area.

WSU area is obvisiouly not the safest area. Midtown and NewCenter have their problems. But you will find that many of these problems are very similar to other urban areas.

Detroit has the problems that most poor and illiterate cities have. Some on this forum will try to connect that with the majority black population. Be careful of that. Detroit's poor white suburbs have many of the same problems.

Dearborn is fairly close to Detroit and New Center, only about a 10-15 min commute on I-94 but the entire commute including parking and walking will be about 30 mins. But the prices for apartments in Dearborn are not worth it and you can find something much nicer in MidTown or NewCenter thats also much more fun.

If you can brave being surrounded by black people and are careful about your belongings. Live in MidTown, NewCenter, or Downtown.

Personally, I did not care too much for the Pavillion or Trolley Plaza apartments. Downtown if much funner on Weekends and the area were those apartments are is sort of isolated sometimes. Plus, Downtown is expensive compared to the WSU areas.

Some sites to look into:

http://modeldmedia.com/default .aspx

http://www.detroiturbanliving. com/index.php

http://citylivingdetroit.com/0 5/

http://www.homepagepro.com/det roit/

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 141.217.173.57
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From an honest standpoint, safety isn't any more of an issue in greater downtown Detroit than it is anywhere else that is socially, culturally, racially, diverse and tolerable. You may have to lock your doors in downtown Detroit, but at least you don't have to lock your life in a cul-de-sac.

I live at Cathedral Tower across Woodward on Hancock from WSU. My studio is $450/mo. While it is increadibly small...and dare I say too small...it works. I'm barely there anyway except to sleep. I hear good things about the Renaud as someone mentioned earlier.

We had bed bugs at Cathedral Tower and the problem is still being resolved. But I hear University Tower had them as well...and even places in the burbs, so we're not an isolated case.

Anyway, my 2 cents says go for it and stay in the city. You owe it to your educational experience.

Oh and to further my honest assessment in terms of safety...anything left unattended will at some point be tampered with. Usually this is automobiles. I've had 2 car break-ins and 1 car theft. As well as a stolen bike seat. I had no problems with the car when it was in the garage at the Park Shelton for 1 year, but when I started having to park out in the open, that's when people took what they thought could have. I now carry my bike seat with me wherever I go. I work downtown, so I even take it into the Buhl Building with me.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 387
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get all bent out of shape about the bed bugs situation, because there was a rash of it going around...

But I'm sure not going to move into a place with a known, current, bed bugs problem. I'm sure the O.P. feels the same.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 141.217.173.57
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it was pretty traumatizing. I lost a lot of sleep over it, but was one of the lucky ones who did not have to trash merely everything I own. Having a little pest problem seems like a petty concern, but a bed bug epidemic can take a long time to mitigate, especially if people that live in your building aren't as sanitary as you are.

There was a residents coalition that informed people coming for lease signing appointments that the building was infested because the management obviously wouldn't say anything. As a result, some people just turned around and walked out...to look for another place to live.

Needless to say, there was a clash btw mgt and tenants. So, in a good way, one great thing about Cathedral Tower is that it is a great sense of community. Although, a lot of those people who make it that way are leaving because they felt betrayed by the mgt.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: