Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Gone, but not forgotten Restaurants in Detroit « Previous Next »
Gone, but not forgotten Restaurants in DetroitPhilbo118 02-23-09  12:30 am
Howard Johnson restaurantsPffft51 09-25-06  11:28 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the first Topinkas was on Grand Blvd.
Hey Cindy, lets have another round here, were having fun.
Jimmy was last seen at the Red Fox. Many rumours going around were that we was disposed of at a, the Raligh House dumpster, b, in a barrel at some cartage company by the airport, c, at a scrap metal place on Mound by Mt. Elliot.

(Message edited by PSIP on September 19, 2006)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunno, I was going by what the matchbook said, I'll have to scan some of those, fun thread. Don't know if I'll get to it soon though, so busy with college classes these days.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2876
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Topinka's, January 5, 1972:

Topinka's

Closed for a year before reopening.

Two others which I've posted above that burned; Darby's July 15, 1968, and Danny's Gin Mill on April 15, 1970:

Danny's

I remember Danny's burning because it was the Moratorium Day against the Viet Nam War and the blocking of nearby streets was creating havoc with the large crowds trying to work their way down to Kennedy Square for the day's demonstrations. I was a kid being dragged along by my mother and sisters and of course I was more interested in staying to watch the fire.

Mikem

Post Number: 2877
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Topinka's: 2960 W Grand Blvd
Topinka's Country House (above): 24010 W Seven Mile

Psip

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgotten that Topinkas had a successful kitchen fire.
Thanks MikeM, when I get to '75, I will keep an eye out for that fire.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 606
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette--the Mexican restaurant (Don Pablos) in the (former) McGinty's sing along building on Grand River went belly-up last year. The building is now a dental clinic.

Psip

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Vicki's Steak House on Grand River by Outer Drive?
Tuesday was Disco night, that place was so packed you couldn't move let alone dance. This was in the '90s

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the "Beef -n- Cream" on Woodward

the "Creams -n- Thangs" on Woodward

Cappys Fine Foods on Woodward in Park Shelton

"Z's Place" on Woodward

Rialto Fine Dining on Woodward - huge menu and a bar !

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellys Sports Bar on Vernor and Dix. Members of the Tigers and the Lions were always there. They had a terrific banquet hall for weddings and anniversarys, and the food was great!!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's still a Dalys on Plymouth Rd. in Livonia.
Ann Sayles is on Thirteen Rd. near Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak.
I remember Dimambros Italian Restaurant and Christoffs (best broasted chicken ever)on Grand River on the northwest side of town.

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cardinelli's, home of good Italian food and cold coffee.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ann Sayles is on Thirteen Rd. near Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak.

Closed a couple years ago. Fiddleheads is there now.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Daly Drive-In on outer drive and warren was great. Right next to it was a roller rink and a small amusement park my parents used to take me to in the 50's. Meyers Sea food in West Dearborn was memorable as well.

Tony_pieroni
Username: Tony_pieroni

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Golden Door, Grosse Pointe

Jan: most times the "cold coffee" at Cardinelli's was bring-your-own wine which they made you drink out of coffee cups. (Was that your point?)

Psip: Hugo's (?) ...Pat Archer opened it as Excalber

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazed that no one has mentioned good old Lindell AC! The hamburgers with grilled onions and the fries with malt vinegar were wonderful! Many was the night on afternoon shift that we'd run across the street through the snow for lunch.

Somewhat more esoteric but still missed is the Backstage Deli on Woodward just north of Six Mile. Very Broadway-Showhouse (great juke box) but incredible food, especially the Niededlander sandwich, weekend prime rib, and clam chowder. My sister and I, who lived in apartments across the street from each other in Palmer Park, went there often and I think we were mistaken for a gay couple. Oh! and they did WONDERFUL Sunday brunches which seem hard to come by - eggs benedict and mimosa!

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 293
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread really brings back memories. It's amazing how many good restaurants (good food, good reputation) have gone by the wayside.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony--that was "The Bronze Door," even though it was in Grosse Pointe; now "The Hill Seafood and Chop House" inhabits that space

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Checker BBQ on Livernois had no connection to Checker's downtown. Cooking those burgers at the Checkers downtown the grill man use to talk to the burgers like, "How you doing well done? How about you medium? What's up rare?"

Livedog2

Mikem

Post Number: 2878
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Tony is crossing the Bronze Door with the Golden Lion at 7 & Mack.

56packman

Post Number: 607
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM--I think the reason you don't see things like "your hosts__________ and _____________"
for restaurants anymore is that they are mosly all corporate BS places like Applebee's and TGI Friday's these days. The Folks in 1967 who could afford to go out for fine dining grew up in the 20's, the golden age of Ballyhoo.

Psip

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tony_P,
Packman reminded me of
Your Host Mitch Housey Restraunt

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a mom and pop pizza parlor west of Jonathan on the north side of Michigan that had great pizza during the late 1950s. Does anybody remember this place?

And a block to the east was Art's Diner. Now that was good cooking.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on September 19, 2006)

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buddy's Rendezvous - great pizza in the late 50's/early 60's. My oldest brother was the owner's good friend and I always loved going there as a little kid.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question. Was the coney island on Gratiot S. of 8 Mile caleed the Dog House years ago. It couldnt of beeen no more than 15 years since the name been changed. Also, wasnt that Dog House place something like a Arnold's on Happy Days?

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the Paris Cafe on McNichols about one block east of Jos. Campau on the north side of the street? It was basically a bar but it had great pizza. Me and my Dad use to switch off on Fridays -- one Friday it was Buddy's Rendezvous and the next was the Paris Cafe. We'd call it in, go down there, my father would have a beer and I a Ginger Ale and then we'd take it home where my mother was waiting. And, she never failed to say, "What took you so long?"

Livedog2

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question. Was the coney island on Gratiot S. of 8 Mile caleed the Dog House years ago
______________________________ ___________________

Yes, the Dog House was an eastside tradition since 1945. Unfortunately it closed in the late 90's.

Someone mentioned Laffrey's Steaks on the Hearth at 7 Mile & Tele. Remember when Denny McLean used to play piano there back in the late 60's?

On of my favorites was the old Turtle Soup Inn on 6 Mile Near Davison. Right down the street from Shield's, Great Pizza!!!

Someone mentioned Wimpy's on East Warren which has been closed for about 8 years now.

Anyone remember Parrini's Itallian on Houston-Whittier near Kelly? Loved their veal.

Detroitej72, Eastsider

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right. Topinkas. My bad.

I'm very sad about Don Pedro's. When I lived on the west side, I went there a lot. It's probably been two years though - I had no idea.

I saw the funniest domestic argument ever while at the bar area at DP's. A man and a woman, he'd go blah blah blah blah, then she'd hiss you're a DICK! This went on for about an hour and a half. When the couple finally left, the whole area broke into cheers, till we realized they had stiffed the waitress on her tip. We all chipped in and tipped her, then bought a round of margaritas in honor of domestic bliss.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Checker BBQ used to deliver all the way to Birmingham, in the '70s...if you tipped!

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 667
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume they're long gone, but at one point Vanelli's on Woodward north of 6 Mile was the family dress up dinner place. When they began to go downhill, Dad switched to The Paradiso Cafe, a couple of blocks south.

I have fond memories of The Toddle House on Woodward a block or 2 north of Grand Blvd, and the Mayflour Coffee Shop downtown. I've always been a bit partial towards old fashoned coffee shops. I assume they're both long gone too.....

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kopitskis(sp?)Steak house on East Warren and Lakepointe. Bon Jour Lounge, East Warren and Audebon. Dawn Donuts, Harper and Moross. Diamond Jims, Mack and Kerby.

(Message edited by tarkus on September 19, 2006)

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite childhood restaurants: S&C Dining Car on Woodward, East Side, just south of Davison. Greenfields Cafeteria on Woodward south of Temple, great Moderne chrome, stainless and glass giant sized place currently the Viet Nam Vet's Organization and lastly, the infamous Hudson's 13th floor Dining Room for Chicken Pot Pies. Later in years when old enough to drive and smoke and enjoy both, Mitch's in Cass Lake was it...but somewhere in between was Stouffer's at Northland in the fantastic Mies building surrounded by water. Being a kid in Detroit was great !

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There also was a Greenfield's on Woodward in Birmingham ...I'm trying to think what's there now. The Borders...?

Was the Mitch's on Cass Lake the one that burned down?

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think the Cass Lake eatery which burned was the first Charlie's Crab. Great food and a shitty piano played by a master pianist - Bob Seeley.

I remember Vanelli's had that cool huge 'light sign' with hundreds (thousands?) of small white flashing lights with a red border.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3747
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too miss old Cappy's inside the Park Shelton. It was a great place to get a fast bite to eat and the crowd was always hospitable.

As far as Z's Place on Woodward, they've just relocated and moved up to Piquette, just east of Woodward. Still great pizza and some of the best staff in town.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3748
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Topinka's on Seven Mile & Telegraph Roads, I always knew it was the holiday season when they put Santa and the reindeer on top of the place. Rudolph would always be leading the way with his 40 watt red nose and that place was decked out for the season. Now it's been replaced by a strip mall... 'tis sad that an era has passed.

56packman

Post Number: 610
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a hundred years ago I played the Hammond organ for diners at the Farm house in Hazel Park, and Prouse's in Ferndale--late 70's-early 80's.. "Perfuming the air with music" for diners.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3750
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the Shangri-La in northwest Detroit? It wasn't any great Chinese food place but we had some good meals there. I vaguely remember it being between Lahser & Evergreen but fail to remember if it was on Eight or Seven Mile Road.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As far as Z's Place on Woodward"

Yeah, but its no longer within 'stumbling' distance of CCS - hahahahhaha !

Tokennojokin
Username: Tokennojokin

Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The farm house was the only historic thing in hazelpark but a CVS was more important. So tear the farm house down to build a CVS when they already had one a half mile up the street.

56packman

Post Number: 612
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary and Fran, the two sister that ran the Farmhouse were great, and they had a loyal following for decades. The loss of that place was sad. A new generation, new dining habits.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3751
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser- those were back in the days of CCS when it wasn't a dry campus and "staggering" was appropriate after a few pitchers of Z's finest suds. Now that the campus has dried up, any and every place for the CCS hopeful is at least a drive away (not that I condone drinking & driving).

And the pizza is still killer at Z's.

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony_pieroni

I never took wine to Cardinelli's, but when I ordered it, it was served in water pitchers and poured into coffee cups. I had heard, and maybe this is urban legend, that the restaurant didn't have a liquor license, and this is how they got around that technicality to serve alcohol.

I seem to remember that is was run by a couple of old ladies.

jan

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shangri-La was on 8 Mile. I had my first shrimp in lobster sauce there!

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take heart, KarenK!

The orignal Buddy's Rendesvous is still on Conant at Six Mile. There are also several other locations throughtout the metro area: http://www.buddyspizza.com/fin dabuddys.htm

Jimg

Post Number: 713
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, I heard the same story about Cardinelli's and their wine. I dined there several times and found the food and wine excellent, two older ladies ran the place.

When I was a child my parents took me to Ray Croton's Supper Club in Ferndale, also to Stouffer's at Northland. Ray Croton's had a Hammond organ + organist playing for dinner.

Psip

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim's Garage
Little Harry's (thanks Anita for the twofer, great restraunt and historic building)

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were also Greenfield’s restaurants on Greenfield Rd. in Southfield across from Northland and downtown on Griswold St. between State St. and Michigan Ave. When I was a kid I used to love their Salisbury steak.

My dad’s favorite Chinese place was the Golden Dragon on Cass Ave south of Peterboro St. but my mom preferred Chung’s across the street so we usually ended up there.

I really miss the Lion’s Den on Ford Rd. just west of Telegraph Rd. They had a great menu with some really interesting daily specials. They lost their lease years ago and it became a Lone Star Steakhouse, which has since closed.

And while I’m at it, I’ll give a mention to Three Kegs Round on Telegraph Rd. at Ann Arbor Trail (now a Wheat & Rye). They had the best Reuben sandwich in town.

Douglasm

Post Number: 668
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman.....
....Prouse's in Ferndale? Didn't happen to be the old Ray Crouton's Supper Club, did it?

Cambrian

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Don Pedro's the owner was telling me they were building a place out West, Ann Arbor, Whitmore Lake? I wonder if they did so. Some time ago, we were eating there, my daughter was sick, not from the food, just sick. On our way out my wife asked for a barf bag to take with us in the car, all the sudden my 7 yo daughter, standing by the bar, had this catatonic look on her face, just starts spewing all over the place, the hostess exclaims "OH HONEY!” for years after that we referred to the place as Oh Honey's.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been many famous and not so famous Detroit restaurants which have now gone to restaurant-heaven, so many of which had great food, ambiance and memories for all of us.
But there was one that stands out among all the greats of their time. There was one and shall always be thee one, considered the most famous and the best and that is/was the LONDON CHOP HOUSE ( LCH ) when it was under the ownership and tender care of the late Les Gruber. Truly a Detroit landmark.

Cambrian

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman

Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm-I'm not sure about any former name Prouse's would of had. It was on the south side of nine mile, a few blocks west of Woodward. It was an old school amber liquor 'n steak kind of place then. Not being from that area, I don't know what it might have been in the past.

56packman

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian--I see you have Chicago Road House matches there. That place had decent food, but they were always trying to pull someting jakey with the bill. They had all of these "specials" that seemed attractive at the price, then the bill would come and it was for more than the ala carte section on the menu.

Cambrian

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

imageimage

Cambrian

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These matches I posted are duplicates in my massive collection. Any interest? $4 individually, $2 ea in large quantity OBO.

Douglasm

Post Number: 669
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman......
......I'd be willing to bet that's Ray Crouton's, corner of Nine Mile and Farmdale, a block east of Livernois. Across Nine Mile is a grocery store, used to be Lincoln (Jr.) High School. Mom and I would go there as a treat when Dad was out of town.....

Jimg

Post Number: 714
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow great collection, Cambrian...I have a few from old Det clubs.
Used to hang out at the Gnome, Harold & Ray McKinney played every Saturday nite...no cover, good food too.

Jimg

Post Number: 715
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Prowses(sp) is indeed the former Ray Croton's.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember "Onstage" ( I believe that was the name), in Grand Circus Park in the late 80s and early 90s. Great restaurant where you sat in movie/broadway sets to dine,, It was way ahead of its time for Downtown, would have done better today with the increased development.

56packman

Post Number: 617
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Topinka's on the blvd.

Topinka's on the blvd.

thanks to Gary at Waterwinterwonderland.com

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 526
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i SORELY miss the original Lelli's on Woodward and Bethune. spent many a birthday eating the best filet mignon ever in those beautiful blue leather booths. :-(

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and someone mentioned the Little Cafe--Gratiot at Barlow! my dad grew up right down Barlow from there...

Cambrian

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jimg, the poor quality scan does not do the MBs justice, they are all pretty nice. My favorites in my Keeper set are the resteraunts we went to when I was a kid, Creiger's Pickwick house on Grand River near Outer Drive, and Topinka's Raod house, we had dad's 40th birthday party there.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian....Creigers was where all of my crowd went on prom nights. Lots of happy memories and good food too as I recall.

In the 60s, on Six Mile Road, near Livernois I think, was a hole in the wall Chinese restaurant that I loved but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. Also, right in that same area, was my first job, for Kresge, hand sorting charge slips for their brand new credit card. Longgggggg time ago.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Robin Hood on Livernois, north of 7 mile.

THE place for a great breakfast; large U. of D crowd. Packed on Sunday's. (To remember the Robin Hood, you had to have been around in the late '50s, early '60s. Anyone?)

Great thread..nice memories.

Dtown1

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have another question. Does anyone remember a restaurant called Buccaneers? I believe it was a seafood restaurant on the SW side of Detroit. What was unique about the restaurant was that it had a big sign with a pirate face on it.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3754
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, I didn't see it in your pics there but I was wondering if you might happen to have anything from the old Mauna Loa on West Grand Blvd. & Woodward for sale. I'd be more than willing to pay decent cash for something worthwhile from that place.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, what was the name of the Bar in the Park Shelton? The one with all the dark wood booths and jazz acts?
What about THE HUNGRY PENGUIN at 3Mile/E.Warren? Or B'Stilla?
I remember going to Lombardos at E.Warren and Cadieux. It's open now as a Muer (cousin?) restaurant.
What about that Chinese restaurant off Jefferson (the name escapes me tonight) near Belle Isle. It was on the bottom floor of an apt building overlooking a marina? Loved that place.

Douglasm

Post Number: 675
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman....
.....we'll see how good my memory is. The organ was in the back part of the resturant, mens room behind on the left, ladies on the right.

Anyone remember the roadhouse next to the Susie-Q on Woodward in Royal Oak?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 348
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu64, the Chinese restaurant you are thinking of was Hoy Tin. It was on the ground floor of the River House Apartments. Another restaurant has recently opened in that space, I believe.

Another old Chinese restaurant in that area was the old Peking Pavilion. It was fairly small, quite charming, and had high wooden booths lining the walls. For several decades it was located in a storefront just west of Indian Village.

When that site was torn down for new senior citizen housing, they relocated to a new building several blocks further to the west. The new restaurant had little charm. It was done in the Maryknoll Missionary style (Chinese version) and had only one very large room. A while later, they remodeled the interior into smaller, lower ceilinged rooms. It greatly improved the appearence of the place. Eventually, they moved out to the suburbs to what they felt was a safer location.

Psip

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm, your not thinking of the Northwood Inn, (Norwood?) at Woodward and Capita?
That was torn down to build a office building.
I think the Comedy Castle was in that building for a while.

Cambrian

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't have the mona lau, got old matches from the Hawaiian islands though.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
Does anyone remember "Onstage" ( I believe that was the name), in Grand Circus Park in the late 80s and early 90s. Great restaurant where you sat in movie/broadway sets to dine,, It was way ahead of its time for Downtown, would have done better today with the increased development.
______________________________ ___________________

I remember they used the marquee from the old Adam's Theater for their sign.

It closed around 1991, the same time that Joey's on Jefferson and The Landsdown closed.

Wouldn't it be nice to have The Landsdown downtown now?

Detroitej72

56packman

Post Number: 628
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DouglasM-The organ was along the front wall, in the opposite corner (west) of the front as the door. The rest rooms were as you stated. Gawd, It's been 27 years since that gig. The guy I replaced at Prouse’s left to start a restaurant on South Blvd. near Opdyke called "Pizza and Pipes". I left Prouse's to play there. We had the pipe organ from the Birmingham theatre installed there, folks ate pizza, pasta and steaks, drank beer, wine and drinks in profusion, while we thundered out requests for "Star wars", "beer barrel polka", "Chattanooga Choo choo", and about 30 others that were always requested. It was a great place, the food was very good and the neighborhood supported it. The boss had a serious gambling jones, and lost the night's take a little too often. I showed up for work one day and found the doors padlocked by the bank and sheriff’s office.

Douglasm

Post Number: 677
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we're all getting a bit older. It's probably been 40 years since I've been in Croton's.

Psip....
....I don't think so. There used to be two "roadhouse" style places on Woodward that specalised in family style chicken dinners. One at 10 Mile across from Hedges where the donut shop is (was) now, and one next to the Susie-Q on the northbound side. The Northwood was on the southbound side, wasn't it?

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congress cafe, across from Cobo. They had the best greek salads in the city!

Ha_asfan

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Money Tree on Fort Street ? About the best around for a helluva long time. Lunches there were incredible...desserts were to die for, I think the pastry chef was Helen Baumgartner.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 776
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big boy in merchants Row and in REN CEN both gone but not forgotten

Psip

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm, Yes the Northwood was on the south west corner. It was a old stage coach stop way back when. I will search for a pix, there must be one out there.

30th_street
Username: 30th_street

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone hear of these two restaurants:
Christopher's Restaurant 12735 W. Chicago Detroit
Korny Korner 1400 E. Outer Drive Detroit
Both doing business 1961 /1962.
Ideas on how to find out owner information about these businesses?

Smogboy

Post Number: 3764
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snickers was the name of the bar in the lobby area of the Park Shelton. Long gone and who knows what the landlords will replace it with now that they've gone condo happy.

Psip

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use to hang out at Snickers back in the very early 80s. It was a very eclectic group, very diverse. From the Hospital across the street to Bill Funderbird, Nate Bridges, Deward Johnson and a whole gang of really neat people.
Spent a New Years Eve there once.
Listening to Nate and Bill tell stories was facinating.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3767
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one frosty afternoon when friends of mine went into Snickers and ordered some drinks in those tall glasses (possibly hot buttered rums) and decided to sneak some of those glasses back to class. Well, needless to say being slightly tipsy and trying to cram tall fragile glassware into a briefcase was not an ideal situation. Said friend opened up his briefcase later only to discover (but vaguely remember) shattered glass everywhere.

Good times at Snickers...

Psip

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ LOL

Seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3769
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After a few of those hot buttered rums, I'm not so sure any of us knew right from wrong at the time.

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who remembers back in the day. Bonanza, Burger Chef, Hot N' Nows- now that was the best 49 cent cheeseburger money could buy. Bill Knapps- I know that's already been said but I used to oved their Au Graut'n Potato's in a mini-crock. Hardees, we got those here in SC so I don't have to worry anymore. Shoot who cares about restraunts, what about the food. Who remember's the Mc Donald's BLT. It would be served in two parts..........

Cambrian

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a Hardees by me in Hazel Park, they moved into an old burger king, they appear to be doing well. I remember going to Cagney's comedy club in the early 90s. This scrawny looking hippy dude got up on stage and had this hilarious act, he said "I tried Hot N Now the other night and found out the name had nothing to do with the food, It had to do with the bowel movement 20 minutes later"

I just checked those Topinka's matches, and realized they said they were close to the Fisher Theatre, not the Masonic as I had originally said.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3771
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, can you post a pic of those Hawaiian Islands matches? Or email them to me @ smogboydetroit@hotmail.com

I'd be curious as to what they look like.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cruisin' Burger Chef on Dix in Lincoln Park..."we're Burger Chef and Jeff, we're ready for fun, fun food!" Long gone: Andy Palmer's Military Inn, Warren & Telegraph, the walls were lined with hundreds of antique & military guns.

Psip

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard that Alban's on Woodward at Maple will be closing this Saturday. This restaurant is one of the last places left from the Cruising Woodward days of the '60s. They sold the liquor licenses to some huge hotel they are building in the area.
So if you want a last taste of a Big Wheel, Saturday will be your last chance.
I understand the wine shoppe will still be open.
The old soldiers are falling one by one.
Can the Fox and Hounds be far behind? est. 1927
I hope not, my copper cup will need a new niche.
http://www.albans.com/

(Message edited by PSIP on September 27, 2006)

The_rock

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about Alban's closing. It was a B'ham landmark.
I remember when Mr. Alban came to Birmingham way back in the late 40's or early 50's. He first opened a grocery store on the South side of Maple between Woodward and Hunter. It was next to the old Reo Motors dealership.
He had purchased some brand new freezers to store his "Birdseye" brand frozen vegetables. My Mother remarked to him how nice and shiney they looked and how expensive they must have been to purchase new. He said "You gotta spend money to make money". How true.
And I hope that The Fox and Hounds manages to stick around and stay in business. When we first started going there, they had a separate Ale House on the premises, kinda near where the (Shell ?)Station on the corner is located. Nick Takus was the owner and he also owned the Kingsley Inn which at that time was located on the SW corner of Long Lake and Woodward.

The_rock

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packman---So You were the organist at Pizza and Pipes? We took our kids there and heard you play those mighty Star Wars selections! You were awesome. And I not only remember that pipe organ at that location, I heard it when it was in the Birmingham Theatre.

Speaking of Hammond Organs, are you old enough to remember when Bayne Cummings ( sp?) played the Hammond organ at Adrian Cotter's Road House on the SW corner of 12 Mile and Woodward, kitty corner to Shrine? His "Sentimental Jpurney" still sticks in my memory book. We went there just about every Friday night for their "Wisconsin Style" frog legs.
Woodward at that time also had the Club Berkley, Bill's Northern, Northwood Inn (Gotham Trio)etc. But Cotter's was my favorite, and my mother had a (spinnett model) Hammond Organ in her house and played a great rendition of Ethyl Smith's "Tico-Tico."

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found these while exploring around the net.

Carl's menu

Mauna Loa menu

Topinka's Country House menu

Detroitej72

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, I mention Turtle Soup in on 6 Mile. Where is Livedog2 with his info?

Detroitej72, loved their pizza as a wee youngster!

Dtown1

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, anyone remeber Theodore's Family Dining and Restaurant Du Soleil on Shelby st. in Capitol Park

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim's Gardens on Six Mile was great Chinese. I think they have a place out in Wixom now.(?)

Palombo's on Eight Mile was pretty good. Mainly Italian stuff. They were near Evergreen.

I think the Red Devil has been mentioned. Yum.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Flaming Embers right at Grand Circus Park and Woodward? I remember my dad taking me there in the 60's to get a salad, t-bone steak, baked potato, and coke for $1.19!!! The space is still there just empty.

Neilr

Post Number: 363
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How about the Flaming Embers right at Grand Circus Park and Woodward?...

and you could actually watch your steak being cooked, right in the window. When I got to eat at the Flaming Embers, I felt like the most sophisticated 13 year old ever.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rock...
My Uncle Fred also frequented Cotters every Friday night. He's noted because he once, feeling pretty good when he left, caught the long entrance awning with his back bumper and dragged it two miles down Woodward before he was stopped by the police, who wanted to know why he had half of Cotter's entrance attached to the back of his car.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 599
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody remember Perini's on Whittier north of Ford Expressway? A classic 60's spaghetti place. I think it moved there from East Jefferson. It lasted into the 80's. It occasionally had the strolling musicians. It seemed pretty fancy and expensive to a little kid, but it was just a neighborhood place. That neighborhood thrived from the 30's through the 70's. It has struggled mightily since then.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3876
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim's Garden moved out to Novi- on Novi Road, just north of Grand River and just a shade south of Twelve Oaks Mall. It's a bear finding them in the middle of all of that mall traffic now.

Ha_asfan

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lou's Finer Deli on Six Mile across from Marygrove...I think it is still there. That was where dad took us for what he considered to be THE FINEST corned beef sandwich in Detroit. In the Fisher Building was Al Greens Celebrity Room with an upstairs private room called..i think it was called the Saturn Room and was decorated in an outer space planetary theme. Al Greens was always packed on theater nights and was quite good.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember two downtown hamburger stands--
The White Castle on Woodward just north of 75 and a Telway I believe on Witherall on the corner of Grand Circus Park. The later hamburger place was much older than the White Castle and was also featured in the movie, Detroit 9000.

Also remember a lunch shop on Griswold and State. Very old school place with counters and stools and murky windows.

Missed a number of places mentioned above, but glad to have caught these low-key places while they were around.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Harry's menu

Roostertail menu

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 749
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kress Lounge when the grill was operating. We miss you Irene.

Ha_asfan

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't believe I forgot the most fun [for a kid] place of all and just about every neighborhood had one...the Kresge Lunch Counter !

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool thread.Here is bookies(the original) but I am more interested in this photo and what it was originally http://www.bookiesclub870.com/ ows

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember a restaurant called Bilbo's or Bimbo's from the early 70's? I think it may have been on Ford rd. in Dearborn but can't recall for sure. I remember it catered to kids and had a magician appear during the dinner hours. I went there as a kid in 1974 or so and fondly recall it.

Dtown1

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do want to mention something about Stanley's Chinese family dining restaurant on the BLVD. Anyway, what's funny is that she went there bout 3 or 4 weeks before the health folks discovered that they were feeding everyone cats and dogs. My aunt, mother, and some of their friends went there to check it out. She told me that she wanted to throw up.

Also, doesn Stanley have a much smaller location on 8 Mile and Woodward now called... "Stanley's Other Place"?

56packman

Post Number: 660
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarge--do you mean Blazo's?

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56, that may be it.....I'm relying on memories from 30 years ago

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 4529
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't see it mentioned and hope I didn't miss it - in the 50's & 60's there was a restaurant in Birmingham called the Westerner Beef Buffet - another in Dearborn on Michigan Ave. A glorified cafeteria, they served huge rounds of beef and often had lines out the door. Neither served liquor and were open for lunch and dinner, but closed early (8-830pm) Seems like they existed on those stretches of road before anyone else.

Ha_asfan

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going way back to the late 50's, on what is now Northwestern Highway, just North of 12 Mile on the West side was McInerny's. They were known for chicken dinners. Later, this place became Firemill Village and was home to some of the cool shops of the 60's and early 70's....hip clothing, head shop, posters....

Smogboy

Post Number: 3896
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I do want to mention something about Stanley's Chinese family dining restaurant on the BLVD. Anyway, what's funny is that she went there bout 3 or 4 weeks before the health folks discovered that they were feeding everyone cats and dogs. My aunt, mother, and some of their friends went there to check it out. She told me that she wanted to throw up."

Hey dtown1... want to stop falling for one of the worst urban myths around and stop spreading this stupid rumor?? This stupid story's been older than the hills. I challenge anyone to produce the proof. Read the facts and stop slamming some mighty tasty good food.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ food/chinese.htm

http://www.snopes.com/critters/edibles/tourist.htm

Also think about it from the restaurant's point of view... how difficult would it be to order prepared chicken as opposed to dredging up cats & dogs and having to prepare them themselves. Give me one valid reason why ANY restaurant (Chinese, Indian, Italian or otherwise) would want to do this.

(Message edited by smogboy on October 18, 2006)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7020
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classic Detroit dishes live again

Matt Prentice toasts local culinary history Friday night in an unusual special dinner he's calling "The Great Detroit Restaurant Feast: A Celebration of Historic Dishes from Beloved Venues."

The seven-course meal features signature dishes and drinks from legendary Detroit restaurants and also honors Jimmy Schmidt, chef of the famous London Chop House, pre-Rattlesnake Club.

On the menu are passed hors d'oeuvres including the Pontchartrain Wine Cellar's gazpacho; Joe Muer's Fruits of the Sea platter; Lelli's minestrone soup; the Chop House's Dover Sole Murat; Roma Café's sweetbreads in mustard sauce; the Pontch's tournedos Rossini, and Schmidt's signature White Chocolate Ravioli.

Prentice will cook, he says, because most of his chefs are too young to remember some of the dishes.

The meal at Coach Insignia in the Renaissance Center begins at 7 p.m.; $64.95 per person plus tax and gratuity. Wine packages available. Reservations required; 313-567-2622.

Neilr

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An aside to this thread: for many years, Stanley and his wife lived on the corner of Boston Blvd. and Hamilton in a contempory house designed for them by Nathan Johnson, a local architect who also did a number of houses in the Russell Woods neighborhood.

Cambrian

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

picpic2

Dtown1

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Also think about it from the restaurant's point of view... how difficult would it be to order prepared chicken as opposed to dredging up cats & dogs and having to prepare them themselves".

For one Smogboy, why did the restaurant close if it was so good, also, all the porfit sthey were bringing in, they could of purchsed real meat.

Plus, you just stated the reason, roughly because of cheapness and all out laziness

Smogboy

Post Number: 3897
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even GOOD restaurants close up, Dtown1! Get real! With your rationale here, I can assume all of those five star Jimmy Schmidt restaurants got closed down because they were serving up cats or dogs, right???

Restaurant work has never been an easy route. Look at all of the great places that close in this town. I'm sure some of them could be health related issues but again, I am willing to bet that NONE of them are because they served cats or dogs. Again, find me one definitive fact (health inspection statement or even an article in any of the newspapers) that says any ethnic restaurant (Chinese or otherwise) got closed down because of serving up cats and/ or dogs.

And yes, my rationale was that purchasing real chicken meat is still a LOT less cheaper and labor intensive than to capture and skin a live animal. If I were a restaurant owner I can purchase a box of chicken meat and it's ready to cook, whereas if I were to even have access to live cats & dogs, how labor intensive would it be to kill, skin and dress ONE animal. So again, how do you think serving up cats or dogs is any cheaper and less work???

And again- WHY would you as a restaurant owner even want to serve up cat or dog?? If you owned a restaurant, would you?? What would even be their reasoning for it?? There is absolutely no rationale to doing it. So quit swirling around these baseless rumors of these hard working people and ruining their reputations, Dtown1.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you'd like to estimate the effort, see
http://www.flickr.com/photos/h onan/29114833/

(Agreed: these stories of restaurants serving pests-or-pets are scurrilous)

Smogboy

Post Number: 3899
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link, Zephyrprocess. It makes sense to me.

To me, those rumors are hurtful to those mom & pop businesses as well as playing up some ethnic & cultural divisions. I know if I were a shopkeep and someone started spreading those sort of lies about my business and my income fell, I'd probably be forced to move as well.

Broncobillybuttons
Username: Broncobillybuttons

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good God Almighty,who remembers the Towne House on 7-mile west of Prevost somewhere, and what was the name of the pizza parlor on the south side of 7-mile a little ways east of Greenfield (I think)--a take- out place with a wooden screen door closed by a long creaky spring; it had mostly pepperoni pizza, eaten rolled up (mid-1950's). And what the heck was that semi-swank Armenian joint with a flagstone floor and washrooms downstairs which was across from a little park or plaza? Alreet, the Ira Wilson & Sons soda fountain wasn't so bad--good sodas and streamline moderne surroundings--and the Holiday Drive-In, which was better known for its carhops. Eeee! And the odious Peter Pan restaurant at Northland, and every S.S. Kresge with their lunch counters and greaseburgers. Who knows stories about the Queen's Arms Beef Buffet on 8-mile? They must exist. Then there's always Amy Joy donuts with their atomic-age windows. Feh! That's a stomachful of recollections and enough for now.

Stevedee
Username: Stevedee

Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 60s, on Six Mile Road, near Livernois I think, was a hole in the wall Chinese restaurant that I loved but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. Also, right in that same area, was my first job, for Kresge, hand sorting charge slips for their brand new credit card. Longgggggg time ago.

Le Wo's maybe?

Is Mercury Fish & Chips still around?

Cambrian

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe so, at 10 and telegraph, Scotty Simpson's at 5 and Lahser has the best by far though.

Rijobo
Username: Rijobo

Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody been to Lums on woodward for the basket of fried clams, it was on the east side of the street 8 1/2 9 1/2 mile I forget early 70's. The clams were better than Howard Johnsons.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lums was a chain, wasn't it? "Hot dogs steamed in beer" First date with my wife at one in 1976...

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Masonic and Gratiot area is like a hall of fame of forgotton restaurants. It had a Lums, a Red Barn, a Roy Rodgers, Bif's, Mr Steak, The Spagetti Palace and a Borden Burger.

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Lived at Cass and Antoinette in 68 while going to Montieth....there was Valcoff's Balkan(where the cops ate lunch) and Johnny's and of course Alvin's Finer.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pinky's on The Boulevard. Tableside Ceasar Salad. Piano bar. An classic experience.
The Little Cafe. Breadsticks, cold butter patties. Bowling lanes.
Golden Buddah down the street from Krajenke Buick on East Side.
Ram's Horn on Mack after 2 am. Packed.
Hudson's 4th floor at Eastland. Maurice Salad
Jim's Garage - Homecoming late '70s. First Stuffed Flounder, tres chic!
Pontchartrain Restaurant(sp)late 1970's - first Scallops dinner. Best ever. Well, I was only 17 or so!

(Message approved by admin)

Michigandriveins
Username: Michigandriveins

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Henry's Hamburgers? There was one at 11635 Greenfield Rd. and one at 22040 W. 7-Mile Rd. This is the last one open in Benton Harbor. I'm looking for pics, more at.....

http://www.michigandriveins.com/lostdetroitdriveinrestaurants.asp

Henrys Benton Harbor

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chili Bowl. Still one in Pontiac.
And there's a Telway on 13 and John R or is it 12

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 868
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got heartburn looking at the OHenry sign. My sister used to make me ride my bike to the 7 Mile one when she babysat me.

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline, here is a photo of Perini's Dining Room in September 1956, my parents' wedding reception. Perini's was located at 10721 Whittier in Detroit. I remember eating there many times in the 60s and 70s. Pretty good basic Italian food!

Perini's Restaurant Detroit 1956

Bma
Username: Bma

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone mentioned the Checker Bar on Livernois. Anyone remember the Checker Bar next to Cadillac Tower? I think it was the old City Morgue. You could get a hamburger 2 ways: with onion slice, or without. The best burgers I ever had. Also, there was a little bar called The Alps, owned by an old Italian man who used to make his own pizzas there, and sing opera songs while he did that and bartended. The pizza was great, and the singing icing on the cake. I think that was on the west side, but I cannot remember exactly where. My husband (a west sider) used to take me there when it was still open.

Average_arizona_drummer
Username: Average_arizona_drummer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once played a gig in Detroit with a very large pickup band. It was for the food handlers or something like that. Strangely, the Musician Guild called and told me they needed a white drummer to balance things out as per black and tan. I honestly hadn't a clue what the hell he meant, but he added that the whole thing was being catered by Checkers Livernois, and it had an open bar. Boots was there with his horn section, and Jameson sat or sometimes actually lay next to me for the entire night. I was his bartender for the night. I can’t remember what we played, but Joe Hunter was nodding tunes off as we went along. I remember the ribs and the shrimp, that’s all.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the old Jack-in-the-Box chain? They are still around on the west coast and the central and southern states.

Also, anyone remember the name of the restaurant at the southwest corner Woodward and 8 Mile? It had a nice dining room.

I remember a lot of the places mentioned, like Topinka's, Flaming Embers, and Lou's Deli on Six Mile.

For fast food there was Bonanza, Red Barn, and Burger Chef.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there a restaurant called Haab's on Outer Drive near Gratiot, across the street from St. David's church?

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings. I have been reading for some time and finally decided to reply since I love food and the memories of all you posters.

Cambrian (9/21/06), I recall great Mac & Cheese served in an oval-shaped dish at the Pickwick House around 1965.

(Message edited by hawthorne on June 15, 2007)

(Message edited by hawthorne on June 15, 2007)

Hawthorne

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramcharger (9/20/06), we have a Lion's Den on Highland Rd. in Waterford. I wonder if the two locations were related?

Hawthorne

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Superaygun (9/21/06), I remember the original Lelli's well. Try the northern Lelli's at 885 N. Opdyke Rd. in Auburn Hills. They serve the same menu, albeit in a more modern facility. My favorites are the antipasto tray that comes with complete meals and the great minestrone.

Hawthorne

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman (9/19/06), I loved Prouse's Inn. They had great creamy garlic salad dressing and made wonderful Southern Comfort Manhattans. (Maybe the Manhattan made the dressing taste better?) I also remember going for dinner a few times and enjoying the organ music...maybe that was you.

I was also a customer at Pizza and Pipes later on. Do you know what happened to the organ after it closed?

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 302
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

balloon saloon on norhwestern hgy?

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid in the 70's and early 80's we would go to a place called the Mediterranean Lounge on East Warren just south of Cadieux. They had the most amazing pizza that they called Greek Pizza. It was unlike anything I have had since. East Warren was a beautiful avenue at the time with black iron lamp posts. It looked like part of Grosse Pointe. There was also a pianist but I only remember hearing the pianist once so we must have always gotten there early.

Speaking of Pizza, the Little Caesars on Kelly was great. They showed old Charlie Chaplin movies on the first projector I had ever seen. It was gigantic. The place had a dining room with stucco walls and arches. Placed into the stucco was old ads from Italian magazines. I loved watching the guy spin the dough in the window.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Was there a restaurant called Haab's on Outer Drive near Gratiot, across the street from St. David's church?"

Newport,
The restaurant you are referring to was called Haas'. Its specialty was roast beef and the layout was cafeteria style. It was on Gratiot just before Outer Drive. St. David was across the street (Outer Drive and Rosemary). Haas' left in the 1980's I believe.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whithorn111446; Where was Whithorn from Sanford?

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 942
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember Kelly's Korner on 12th & Webb?
How about Sug's Grill @ 12th and Bethune?

Gkerby
Username: Gkerby

Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldtime WSU Tartars will recall Valcoff''s Balkan Restaurant on Antoinette. Their yummy $2 paprikash lunches kept you stuffed all day.

Gkerby

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: Lums, sorry, but their fried clams were just strips. But The Clam House on E. Grand Blvd had the real-deal fried whole Ipswich clams -- just like New England. They later moved into the old Mauna Loa, but soon went under as they lost their working-class lunch crowd in that fancy place.

Gkerby

Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: Haas's Roast Beef, they also had an 8-mle location near Gratiot/Eastland.

I don't think anyone has mentioned The Bagel Deli in Hisghland Park. THeir home-baked onion rolls were like pastries.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haas' Prime Beef. wow that place was excellent. I remember getting a carryout from there once. Eating it in the car en route to some club on Gratiot. (I think it was The Struttin' Club). The bad thing was, they forgot to give us forks. lmao. Roast beef mash potatoes w/gravy eaten without a fork. Well worth the hassle though.

Does anyone remember Cecelia's italian restaurant on Plymouth west of Southfield. mmm. stuffed pizza. They burned down in early eighties.

Further back in my memory, 1960's, there was a coney island on the same stretch of Plymouth. I've tried 100's of coneys around town. Nothing comes close to them, but I will continue my quest. It seems most coneys are all the same these days. What is with the coneys these days. Back in the day, they actually minced the onions. Nowadays, they simply cut the onion in half and throw it on the dog.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6470
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here remember Verne's in the Cultural Center? Great dark dumpy place with super burgers.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first date with my husband was at the Normandie Bar (or Grill) in the New Center area. I remember having a very good burger. We went to see Cleo Laine and John Dankworth at the Music Hall later that night. Must have been November, 1974.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gkerby:........it was The Clam Shop and Bar......2675 E. Grand blvd...........I worked there during the '60's.......and thought about re-opening it on the river...but...........alas

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Former Bimbo's in Dearborn is now Talal's
Michigan Ave. and Monroe. Use to have union meetings there.

Gkerby

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7_and_kelly_kid:
I grew up with New England fried clams (whole belly). The Clam Shop had the real thing. The only place in MI I've had them since is at Fran Obriens in Auburn Hills a few years back. But I sure miss that old place on the Blvd.

Smogboy:
Verne's was a WSU institution when I started there. Aside from great burgers and beer, they usually had good live music too.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GKerby.........yea..it was a regular "Cheers"...the regulars were something else........

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 381
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Barn fast food restaurants.

My dad would drive us out into the country and stop at these road side joints. AKA the Detroit country has now become the Metro Detroit suburbs.

All they served was small burgers, fries, soda and milk shakes.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never get bored on this site, i saw topinka,s country house burning. didn,t know it happened 35 yrs ago. haven,t saw the family buggy in this thread, went to the one on plymouth&evergreen alot with both my grandmas. miss that one on middlebelt & plymouth.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can still go to the Buggy Whip at Orchard Lake and 13 Mile, it's the last of the bunch. Same menu as the Family Buggy.

Reddog289

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the info GAZ, My folks will be happy to. liked watching the trains go round the dining area at the buggy on plymouth & middlebelt. my girlfriend told me to ask about the Hard Hat Bar on Fort & McKinstry back in the 70,s. Her Grandpa owned it.

Gkerby

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dhugger: in the 60s, the Red Barn also served miniature fried chicken!

Walloon
Username: Walloon

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7_and_kelly_kid -- I've been on an archeological quest for years to find anything from The Clam Shop (i.e. menu, photos). I went there recently to find it was a parking lot for the next-door "Pioneer Bldg.", an artists co-op.

Might you have anything at all from Clam Shop? It's incredibly sentimental for me. Feel free to email: walloon@hotmail.com

Thank you!

(re: Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 5:45 pm:
gkerby:........it was The Clam Shop and Bar......2675 E. Grand blvd...........I worked there during the '60's.......and thought about re-opening it on the river...but...........alas)

clam shop matches

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahhhh, Verne's. Just behind the gas station at Forest and Woodward, on Forest. Great place with the fireplace in the middle and peanut shells all over the floor. There was a small back room through a set of cast iron gates. Not always open. Went there a lot while at Wayne in the 70's.

And the Normandie across from the Fisher Theatre. yum...

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Paul's Steak House?? Plymouth and Telegraph. back in the late 40's it burned down when some kids ran the light and went through a tanker truck with oil. The oil ran down into the parking lot and caught the pilot lights on fire and burnt the restaurant to the ground. It got rebuilt into a much finer restaurant and lounge. I know all this as it belonged to my Mother's Brother. It later was sold to Rams Horn and then a few years ago ,it got torn down and is now a gas station.

Reddog289

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i sorta remember Pauls or the place before the rams horn. never ate there but remember the big resturant.

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cupis's on Warren & Conners

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denbytar64, or CR, I spent many nights at Cupid's drive inn. My mother worked across the street at Stott's and Murphy Ford. My dad and I would stop in there while waiting for my mother. If I was really lucky, my dad would take me across the street to Top Hat's for some sliders.

Original63
Username: Original63

Post Number: 497
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember a place called Skippers Table on W 7 mile just w of Livernois.

I was a kid but it closed in the 70's

Ancestor_hunter
Username: Ancestor_hunter

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having been out of Detroit for 6 years now, it's sad to see some of my old haunts are now gone. Of course some have been gone for many years prior to my moving away. Happy to see Haas's Roast Beef mentioned. Recall eating there after getting a polio booster shot when I was around 6, and my dad having to feed me because I couldn't lift my right arm.
Does anyone recall China Doll restaurant on Second Ave. somewhere near the Fisher Bldg? You had to go upstairs to the dining room. Had my first taste of Chinese food there, and still remember the Chinese fried shrimp and their wonderful sweet and sour sauce.
I've been trying for ages to recall the name of an Italian restaurant on Mack Ave., near either Chalmers or Dickerson. They had large plate glass windows that looked out onto Mack. Husband and I were there on New Years Eve '71/'72 or '72/'73, right before or right after we married. There was an ice storm and a brand new gold Mustang was parked where we almost parked. We watched as another car skidded into it and totaled it. That was when we started staying in on NYE and watching Dick Clark. That close call was too close for us.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Original63, I remember Skipper's Table. It was a buffet (or as we called it back then, a "smorgasbord"). It was one of those "special occasion" type of places for my family, since very few families back then (late '60's - early '70's) went out to eat on a regular basis.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: