Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Tiger Stadium-Memories,pictures from the past, share 'em... « Previous Next »
A Visit to an Old Friend - Tiger Stadium RevisitedNavin_parker11-07-06  10:31 am
Old Tiger Stadium in tattersMallory24 10-27-06  10:45 am
ESPN Goes Inside Tiger Stadium (Article & Video)Rrl10-23-06  10:41 pm
WashPost editor recalls '68: 'Tigers, Burning Bright in Detroit'...Realitycheck10-22-06  8:58 am
Tiger stadiumAndysrc10-22-06  7:48 am
Positive Tiger Stadium Redevelopment videoDocmo10-21-06  7:20 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have too many. The best one is the troughs in the bathrooms. I rememeber being about 19 and blowing chunks in one after drinking a bunch of Seagrams VO in the bleachers. It was the s***...Or what about them hot dogs that the vendors walkin' through the stands would sell. Steamed in a net bag with mustard applied by a fork. What I would'nt do for one of those now...I'd pay 5 bucks. Ornigal, never duplicated---I've tried..........it's the flavorrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite memories are of being one of Jim Campbell's bleacher creatures....the F*ck you, Eat Sh*t chants...rolling our arms backwards and forwards in unison....shaking our car keys....the "no chanting" signs that were installed....and all that fun for a dollar or two. Priceless ! :-)

Saw Tom Matchick hit the home run in right in '68...The Bird beat the Yanks in '76....Darrel Evans get picked off third in the '87 playoffs, and the cheer we gave him the next inning when he came out to first....Cecil hitting his 40th, and then his 41st over the left-field roof. You knew it was over the minute it left his bat, and the crowd stood and cheered for over 5 minutes.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didnt Jim Campbell shut down the bleachers for some time due the chants and behavior.
I saw the Bird once. Was at the 1984 playoff clincher against the Royals. We were by the left field foul pole. Somebody climbed it after the game.
I got to go the Friday game for the final weekend at the stadium. Got a Red Hot, which I figured was just a Hot dog. Gave me the worst heart burn.
Once sat in the upper deck way back against the Yankees. Derek Jeter hit a fly ball that looked innocent enough but it just kept coming next thing I realize its coming right at me, I stood up and reached for it and it touched my fingers trips and I missed it. All the people I was with laughed at me becuased directly behind me a pregnate women caught it in the air.
As far as the hot dog vendors i always remember the mustard being applied with a wooden tong.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pending eventual demolition, the infield and outfield are being neglected.
Recent Tiger Stadium picture

(Message edited by catman_dude on September 28, 2006)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bongman, i also was at the game that cecil hit it over the left field roof - i was in the right field upper deck, and couldn't ask for a better view for that particular homer. that's exactly how i remember it - the place went crazy. still to this day that game - well, that moment, since the rest of the game i can't remember - stands out as my favorite memory of the tigers and tiger stadium.

i also remember the waves - they were impressive cause the stands went all the way around, and you'd see them on both decks. comerica just can't compete with that, since the stands break up in center field.

and of course the troughs. being a little kid, walking into the bathroom, and thinking 'wtf? is that the sink or the toilet?'

looking back, it seems every game i went to when i was a kid was against the royals. i'm sure that's not the case, but it's definitely the impression i get when i think back. but it seemed appropriate that the first game i took my son to was against KC.

Chico
Username: Chico

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no no, I remember the mustard being applied with large, wooden sticks (like a big popsicle stick). But I'm with you, the ones from the vendors were the BEST!!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 788
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bo Jackson breaking his bat on his knee. Willie Hernandez giving me a ball after Heneman snubbed me. Old guys teasing Albert Belle from the row behind the dugout. I even filmed a Big Boy training video on the field.

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw my first and only Tigers game at Tiger Stadium in May of 1999. It was against the Indians. I remember walking into the entrance of the stadium and thinking, man this is cool. The winding ramps, dark narrow hallways, old style troughs in the bathrooms, and spectacular close to the field seats. We sat in the upper deck third base side and I remember that the upper deck overhang was all steel and would shake easily if people started to cheer. I couldn’t get over how close to the field you were.

I am a born and raised Cubs fan and have been to plenty of games at Wrigley Field, which is fantastic in its own right. However, for me Tiger Stadium was and will always be my favorite. These new stadiums just don't cut it. I don't like the open center field that most have opted for. When you were in Tiger Stadium with its totally enclosed seating, you were surrounded by baseball. I don't come to a game to see the skyline. Also, bring back the roofs! I know they tried to improve sight lines by removing the poles, but that sure came in handy in the summer sun and passing rain delay.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger memories--starting with my very 1st major league game(s): the double header that ended the 1967 season, which the Tigers split, giving the Bosox the pennant; John Hiller throwing a one-hitter as a starter in '68; multiple games pitched by Joe Sparma; getting out of school for the day to see Joe Coleman beat the A's in the '72 playoffs; Bat Day announcement "Please don't pound the bats!"; the Bird beating the Yankees, and sadly, several unsuccessful Fidrych comeback starts; several games with my then-school-age boys in the last season; my last game there fittingly behind a pole in right field.

But I also have LIONS memories: endzone seats near the first base dugout; beating the recently mighty Packers 20-0 to end the 1969 season; Thanksgiving Day games, including coming back from 14-0 to beat the Raiders the year Blanda was engineering comebacks in his 40s; the guy who sat in front of us one year always disgustedly rooting against the home team or else exhorting defensive lineman Herb Orvis "C'mon Orvis--kick some sh*t!"

Hot dogs with mustard applied with a stick; cups of Coke covered with plastic wrap.

And always parking at Irene Sember's lot on West Elizabeth.

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

August 5, 1997. Tigers vs. Indians. Huge amount of Indians fans. I was sitting in the lower deck in left field. Phil Nevin hit a homer that hit off the facing of the upper deck, knocking off a huge sheet metal advertisement that fell onto the tunnel below (nobody was hurt.) I almost caught a homer run hit by Manny Ramirez, but a tall man caught it inches above my glove--I was only 12.

Tigers won, though, 6-4.

Kenp

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plastic wrap on the coke, beautiful. I only saw one Lions game there, I was 7. Thats so cool Zephyrprocess mentioned the Lions also. Its weird, the Lions also had a huge history their as well. Thanks

Kenp

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to mention one other thing that sticks out in my mind about Tiger stadium. The Grumpy old ushers with the dirty rags to clean your seat. They ran the place. Some are still at Comerica. Cool people.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great memories, all of them! I recall going to a game where Cecil Fielder paid for the entire bleachers, free admission that night! I think it may have been Negro League night, not sure. On another occasion, my then-girlfriend and I taking a boy she was babysitting to a game. I haven't seen that kid in years, I hope he has a good memory of it too. After the game, we saw Bob Talbert walking down Michigan Ave.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well if your asking for old pictures of the ball yard at Michigan and Trumbull:

Street car
Fans coming to the Opening Game in 1925, the Tygers beat the Cleveland Indians.
Fans
Fans waiting to buy that wonderfull Domino's errr, Little Ceasar Pizza
Flag
The opening Ceremonies and the raising of the ol'48
Diamond
What? no bleachers?????
Grab
What a catch!
The stands
Your Detroit Tygers

Thanks Detroit News.
Sign

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers or Tygers. So how come we got our team named "Tigers", rather than after some other such animal? Word I heard was that they were named after a former Michigan Civil War military group nick-named Tigers, but I don't know if that's fact or fiction.
My source was HG Salsinger. That's good enough for me.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2812
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tygers = Tigers managed by cobb (I'll bet).

Sfdet
Username: Sfdet

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have heard that the detroit baseball club was orginally refered to as the 'detroiters'. the team's uniforms included striped socks. as a result, eventually the local newspapers began referring to them as the 'tigers' or 'tiger socks' and the name stuck.

the name nickmame 'tygers' came later and was simply a salute to the skills and dominance of ty cobb.

please correct me if i'm wrong!

Moreta
Username: Moreta

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have very fond memories of my mom teaching me to keep the score sheet so she could stand in the line for the restroom without missing any of the action. I still keep score everytime I go to a game, and am teaching my kids so I'll eventually be able to go stand in line. :-)

Opening Day 1993, a bunch of us skipped school and went down to find tickets. A good way to end our high school years. :D

Opening Day 1995, I took a college friend to her first game (I've taken a lot of people to their first games since then), parked by MCS and had a window broken in my car and my textbooks stolen. Poor car. I replaced the window myself though, which was a learning experience.

June 2006, I took another friend to his first MLB game (as he is unfortunate enough to live in Maine) and learned that I've taken my Tigers for granted for too long.

August 2006, I took three of my kids to a Sunday game and watched them run the bases as the CoPa, just as my oldest two ran the bases in Tiger Stadium's last year. I have pictures of them standing in the on deck circle at both parks. Precious.

Oh, and I was at Mark Fidrych's first start, albeit in utero. :D

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My best Tiger Stadium memory was serving as an intern for NBC during the '84 World Series. I was attending Wayne State at the time. One night, we were asked to go to the White Castle next door and buy a zillion burgers, and then take them to the camera crew. There were a couple of camera guys on the roof, so my friend and I walked on the roof of the stadium WHILE THE GAME WAS GOING ON!! Nowadays, that would NEVER happen, but back then, we were all a bit less litigious.

Then, in the middle of the eighth inning of the last game when the director shouted "interns to the locker room." My life froze for a moment. Me and two other guys got to go to the locker room and serve as blockers for the camera shoot. Champaign spraying and we were right in front of everything. It was the trophy presentation riser, me and my friends, reporters and then the camera. I still have the media credentials.

RIP Tiger Stadium! Screw obstructed view excuses, I will miss you.

Commodore64
Username: Commodore64

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.fordaspire.com/page 1/tiger.htm

The above page is very old, but it shows some nice pics of the ballpark while it was in use.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last Game http://www.aerialpics.com/G/LastGameTiger.html

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sweet

Nedab3
Username: Nedab3

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me it is still Briggs Stadium. Saw Ted Williams hit a home run on his last visit to Detroit. Saw rookie sensation Dick Wakefield hit inside the park homerun. Most games we sat behind the Tiger dugout. Tickets from a friend of my dad. He worked for some coal company. Parking was always a hassle. Dad would never pay to park in some front lawn. We would walk a mile or more to save a dollar.

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sitting in left field bleachers in the early 70's chanting Willie, Willie. Willie.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4375
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nedab3 tells it like it tis. We walked forever to have free parking. Are we related?

jjaba's best memories are skipping school to see Tigers day games in Spring. jjaba played hookie from Cass Tech. and walked over with his girlfriends. We sat high up in Sec. 24.

I kissed them on the strikes, they kissed me on the balls. It was cold in April and May but we loved the fun in an empty stadium. With jjaba's family, we always sat in Sec. 23 or 24 on Sundays. We were there in the 1940s and 50s.

jjaba always calls it Briggs Stadium, like it tis.

jjaba, in Youngstown, Ohio this week with Society of Industrial Archeology. This place is the real rust bowl. Detroit can't compare with 50,000 steel workers outta work and the volume in a small town of ruins. Population went from 175,000 down to 80,000 today.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, too, was at the game where Cecil hit one over the left field roof off Dave Stewart. We were sitting on the third base side, right next to the Tigers bullpen. I was about 11. I remember watching it go up in a sea of blue, disappear into the light blue sky and then hear this "THUNK!" as it hit the top of the roof. We waited for it to roll back down, but it never did.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great memories of Tiger Stadium. My mom and I taking the bus from Vernor Hwy. to go see a game. Getting off at Bagley to walk several blocks to the park. Being so close to the players that you could see them smile. The great hot dogs, banging the wooden seats to make a rumble.

My big claim to fame is playing for the 1969 Catholic HS League Championship in Tiger Stadium! I played center field and went out to what was a normal depth for HS baseball and looked around to see about 200 feet behind me to the center field wall at 440 feet! We (St. Gabriel's) lost the game 2-1, I struck out twice, and tripped over a sprinkler head in center field to make an error. But you know what? I PLAYED on the Tiger Field Stadium turf and have the clippings to prove it!!

The_rock

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One really sad memory at Briggs stadium was when Detroit Lion Chuck Hughes collapsed and died on the field during the Lions-Bears game. That was early 70's. Dick Butkus and Charlie Sanders were each crying for help. Dr. Guise, Lion team physician, could not revive Hughes. We watched the whole thing from our seats in the Lions Den.
When we filed out of the stadium at the end of the game, you could hear a pin drop.
I don't remember the exact date, much less who won and it was all quite irrelevant considering what happened that tragic day. Strangest feeling one could ever imagine at a sports contest. It was one of the saddest days if not the saddest day in Briggs stadium history which otherwise brought so many pleasant memories for us all.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad story ROCK....it was before my time. Thanks for the history.

In the 80's, when kids were young, the family would buy tickets to the bleacher section. The ticket takers would let the kids in for free if they could fit under the turn style.

We were really living cheap at the time so this was a fun & affordable family outing. We always sat in the same place in the bleachers. Artist, poets, philosophers, and factory workers all looked our for our children. It was a great time.

I will miss Tiger Stadium and hold the memories & people in my heart.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3040
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time in the playoffs for the Tigers.

October 4, 1987 was biting cold overcast day. The Tigers had won three straight including two out of three vs. fading division rival and leader Toronto to pull a game ahead of the Blue Jays in the standings. It all came down to one this game and the Tigers were facing Toronto ace and nemesis Jimmy Key. On the mound for the Tigers was Detroit native and veteran Frank Tanana.

The bleachers were packed made even more crowded by the fact that every body was bundled up with heavy jackets and coats. In the second inning Larry Herndon, then in the waning years of his career, connected late on a Jimmy Key pitch but got just enough to get it over the fence into our lower deck bleacher seats behind Toronto right fielder Jesse Barfield.

A tense pitching duel followed with both pitchers going the distance. Frank Tanana pitched the game of his life shutting out Toronto avoiding a playoff game and we were in the playoffs. The poor Torontonians earned their name the Blow Jays on that day as it was their seventh straight loss with a final choke. But soon would have their day in the sun. For the Tigers it was their zenith and 19 years in the wilderness would follow until this year.

Somehow we thought the Tigers would be back the next year and the next but instead a slow steady decline followed. During those Sparky Anderson the Tigers let slip a promising young minor leagues manager who had had success everywhere in their system - Jim Leyland.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rock, thank you for that story. i didn't know about that, being before my time as well. (it had even slipped my mind that the lions played there, thanks for the reminder!) Wanting to learn a little more, i looked it up on wikipedia - the game was on october 24, 1971. and it also describes the game as finishing in 'near silence'. not much else was to be learned from there, but as dhugger said, thanks for the history.

The_rock

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, on a more positive note, let me get real nostalgic and take you back to Briggs Stadium right after WW II. I can remember as a kid going to those games ( all were played during the afternoons, no night games yet). And at the end of a half inning, the outfielders would just drop their mitts on the grass and leave them there, and would trot into the dougouts for their turn at bat! Then when their half inning was over, they would trot back out to the outfield, pick up their mitts from the grass and resume play.
Unreal you say? Well, it happened for a while. I can vouch for it.
Ray36,(or anyone else), you are a (somewhat) old timer--this ring a bell with you? You probably sold me tickets to the Policeman's-Fireman's Field Day (great tug-of-wars!!)that was held annually in the old ball park for quite a few years.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Ilitch walked by me and my husband walking along pushing our three year old son in his little stroller at a game in 1994. He stopped looked at Joe and asked if it was his first game, and it was. At that he reached in his pocket, pulled out a big wad of cash and put a Fifty in my boys little lap and said, "Hey go buy him a little something on me.". Aside from all the great ball games I saw at Tiger stadium that day with Joe was pretty special.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the mid to late 60's, they had Tiger games in the late morning, followed by those "rock concerts" with Bobby Sherman, Paul Revere and the Raiders, and local Detroit bands. They used to be sold out!! My sister and her friends would be bored during the game, and then scream for 3 hours during the show. My brother and I had to stay with them because my Dad insisted we look after them. He would never do it!! Thanks Dad.

Horn_wrecker
Username: Horn_wrecker

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1921 arrangement of Navin Field from the Sanborn maps.

Navin Field 1921

I got to raise the centefield flag a few times in the 1970s. One the games I remember most is 1978 opening day, with Fydrich on the mound. A bunch of us skipped classes at Wayne that day, and sat in the bleachers. I think it was about 80* that day.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock--I am not old enough to vouch personally about the practice of leaving one's glove in the outfield, but I've heard tell of it before.

A little Googling reveals that the practice ended in 1954

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would be very nice if the city and Tigers organization opened the ball park for one last week or weekend and allow people to come say goodbye. Would bring a sense of closure for a lot of people.

It would be the right thing to do, if at all possible.

Faygo
Username: Faygo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some great memories of Tiger Stadium.
Always enjoyed the rush fo getting the first glimpse of that beautiful green outfield after walking thru those dark tunnel ramps.

I had the pleasure of working security there durning the 1977 season.

In September of 1977, I escorted Alan Trammel & Lou Whittaker to the clubhouse when they first arrived at the stadium from Evansville.

Nedab3
Username: Nedab3

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba: I hope we are related but a doubt it because i grew up on the EASTSIDE! I forgot about the players leaving their gloves on the field. There was a special ground rule if a hit ball hit a glove. Any way the Tigers beat the Yankees tonight. Now they get Oakland. I loved the announcers comment about not embarassing Al Kaline. He should have added some other names. Kell, Groth, Lipon, Priddy, Wertz, Newhauser, Trout, Vico, and others because I can't remember after drinking all that Goebels and Strohs today. LOL

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4394
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nedab3, thanks. None of my family ever lived on Eastside. jjaba had no relatives growing up in Detroit since my parents excaped from Chicago before jjaba was born in 1941. So, we had to "make the rounds" in Chicago twice a yr.

Detroit had 1.8 million people in the 1950s and Chicago cousins thought we lived in the sticks. They were crammed in like sardines and we had a great two-flat with a garage on the Westside.

Yes, we walked and walked to our car after a Tigers game. As dad drove home, we dozed off. In 10 minutes, he was in the driveway. He drove up Grand River to Northlawn. It was quite close actually.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being an 11 year old kid and seeing Willie Horton throw out Lou Brock at home plate in game 5 of the '68 Series. That was just awesome. Check the link to read Willie's account of the game and the throw.

http://findarticles.com/p/arti cles/mi_m0FCI/is_7_63/ai_n6108 324

I was at the Michigan-MSU game so I was only able to listen. Man, I wish I could have been at Comerica also.

There will be a lot of eleven year olds who will remember this day fondly when they are 49 years old.

(Message edited by docmo on October 08, 2006)

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 339
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MY Last game at "THE CORNER"... playing the Indian's, in the 2nd to last game of the season, with my (now ex) wife at my side.

My father- in law, a Cleveland native...Life long Indian's fan...I was cheering a rare victory, as my beloved Tiger's were actually winning... My (now Ex-father- in law) was not too pleased with me, as he got tickets from work!( the former Chrysler Corp. non the less!)

I remember looking around at the crowd and felling like the air was electric; - No, it had electricity in the air, that was fo' sho'...

T'was nothing I had felt since the magical season of "Bless You Boy's", in 84.

May our current team bring hope and happiness to a NEW GENERATION of Tigers fans in the city and the burbs.(Hey, come on down, and spend some time here!)

Detroitej72, remembering the roar of 84...(and sadly now without my wife, although it had nothing to do with our Tigers!)

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Space monkey, place your ad in the Classified Ads section. [Edited by Admin]

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Echoing Jerome81's post, I hope that there are plans to do one last filming of the whole of Tiger Stadium before it sees the wrecking ball. I especially would like to see the parts of the stadium that made up Navin Field, if those parts still exists. I would also like to see the offices and other parts that were off-limits to the general public.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 692
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad and I went to a couple Tiger games a year from about '55 through '66. My fondest memory was the same every year. You're outside the stadium, enter and literally go through the building to walk out into a different world. With Briggs Stadium being completely enclosed, it was like walking into a unique environment. No buildings outside the fence were visable from where we usually sat (3rd base side), so it was like walking into a completely different world. In retrospect it was like walking into an outdoor indoor stadium. A place where the outside world didn't intrude at all.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3109
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a very good description Douglasm. That was truly a special and magical feeling. The streets outside, loud, hot, paved, a little beat up, choked with people and next to a roaring expressway. It was like walking from a desert into a shaded tropical rain forest, a huge lush green manicured field in large Globe Theater style building with no view outide, unless you climbed to the top of the bleachers and looked out.

I was at the new Stadium the night the Tigers knocked out the Yankees. It was fun, happy and loud, but never as loud as Tiger Stadium could get with its contained sound and another 10,000 fans packed in a far less space.

And there will never be another wave like the Tiger Satdium waves that not only had continuous people all the way around but also on two decks, sometimes going opposite directions.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For us old timers:
Bless You

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 777
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trough pictures courtesy of Tiger's ex-pitcher CJ Nitkowski:

http://www.cjbaseball.com/TSBW .htm

http://www.cjbaseball.com/TSIn side2.htm

Gron
Username: Gron

Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting excited driving in when we would pass the Wonder Bread Factory (Is it still there?). Parked by the Teamsters office, figuring that no one would mess with our car there. Being at the 71' All Star Game and not believing that I'm actually seeing my heroes. Reggie Jackson's home run - greatest "live" sports moment of my life. Bringing my little transistor radio and actually seeing George Kell while listening to him. Saying along with him "Well, thank ya Larry, and good afternoon everyone. Welcome to Tiger Baseball!"

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My fondest memory has to be the first time I ever went and saw a Tigers game. The year eludes me, but it was sometime in the early 90's when I was around 10-11 years old. During this time I was really into baseball and I wanted nothing more to grow up and play professional ball with the Tigers. I was so excited to go see them play. The first thing I remember was heading over to our seats and first laying eyes on that field! I can remember walking around inside the stadium up the ramps and peering through the walkways catching glimpses of the field and the players warming up. Going there and just being part of that atmosphere for the first time is something that I will never forget. I loved how you could get right next to the dugout and get so close to the players. I like Comerica Park just fine, but Tiger Stadium always be that special place where I saw my childhood heros such as Tramell and Whitaker play.

Seven
Username: Seven

Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what will happen to Tiger Stadium?

Are they going to sell the seats individually?

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of seats. I was passing the DuMouchelles Antique and Auction house on Jefferson accross from the Ren Cen and they have a row of seats that I'm guessing could be from the Navin field or Briggs stadium era?

There was a cheesy add out front that said "we have your world series seats right here."

They appeared to be very old, made out of wood with metal frames, very bleached and rickety. I have no idea how much they were going for but it was an interesting piece of history.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ty Cobb-era seats on Auction Block"

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20061013/METRO /610130353

I guess I'm a little late too bid. The auction was this past weekend. I can't find a picture.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First went to Tiger Stadium in April,1961. Angels, first year team, came into the left field corner,never saw anything so GREEN in my life. Not the blue seats you sprouts remember.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some great reads about the old days at Tiger Stadium, you should find a copy of Willie Horton's autobiography. (Make sure you ask for the SECOND EDITION. The first edition was a limited run, rough and full of errors.)

www.williehorton.com.

The same company even has a biography of former Lions great Lem Barney, who played most of his career at Tiger Stadium. Lem loved The Corner and hated the move to the Silverdome in 1975.

Burtonsmostwanted
Username: Burtonsmostwanted

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

feb. 1, 2006

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anybody ever seen a copy of the "Cochrane Plan" that was tossed around in the early 90s to renovate tiger stadium by the Save Tiger Stadium Group?

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John and Judy David, architects of the Cochrane Plan, would have equipped Tiger Stadium with luxury boxes and other modern amenities. They discuss their experience with the team and the city in the Tiger Stadium documentary "Stranded at the Corner."

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think O'Blivions is selling seats.

I remember going to games with a ton of family and having to switch seats each inning so we all had our fair share of "pole time". I also remember being a kid and having to tippy-toe up to those awful urinals. So nasty.

As I got older a cousin and I would go sit in the bleachers and scrape quarters on the seats to make noise or we'd straddle the seats and pretend we were rowing a boat. Bleacher creatures like us wouldn't be welcome in the new "Pepsi Family Fun Bleachers" (what a bunch of BS).

My dad would get seats near the visiting "bullpen" (which was the side of the field, no frills) and would enjoy listening to me get on the opposing pitchers, spitting out their not-so-great stats I memorized from their baseball cards. You were so close to the field, it was really great. Some of the cool players would even have a give and take with you.

I was there for a Gibson and a Cecil out-of-the-stadium homer (good luck seeing one of those at the CoPa) but nothing beats the bonding time I had with my grandpa.

The CoPa is okay but you are so far away from the action. I'd like to see an overhang installed and the flagpole moved so it's back in play. And ditch the stupid water-fireworks. What a terrible idea in spring and October. I do like that in the last couple years they've been using the old scoreboard animations from the 80's.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"" Was at the 1984 playoff clincher against the Royals. We were by the left field foul pole. Somebody climbed it after the game. ""

i was too. not sure where exactly in left field but i was there with a bunch of guys from college. i was covering the event (photographically) for our newspaper and our editor was there as well writing the night up...

i remember the guy who fell from the upper deck to the field, and the centerfield fencing getting torn down...

man that was a raucous night. we did the wave out on one of the streets outside with about 100 people. we couldnt stop everytime we tried there would be another 5-10 people joining us...

david