Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Delray « Previous Next »
Delray - 1Livernoisyard98 12-20-06  8:15 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, so, where are the photos???????? After 97 posts, I'm sure a lot of these people want to see what this place actually looks like. I might get a chance to get down there on Friday or Saturday with the camera if anyone's interested.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams: "Statements such as this lead me to believe many on this forum have no ability to understand any other life style than their own, other than an entertaining TV documentary."

Let me clarify what I said when I noted that Delray is probably not "fit for human habitation." I did not mean to denigrate the people who live there, nor their pride, worth, or lifestyle. I was just commenting on the situation as it is now. Right now, Delray has become virtually abandoned, appears to have poor city services (even for Detroit), has little chance for future growth, and sits in an environmentally problem-ed area.

Delray is not someplace that people move to, at least not unless they must. For the most part, people will need to go elsewhere to work. And for the most part, people will need to go elsewhere to have access to most public institutions and organizations. Moreover, the area is isolated by the way the area has developed and poorly connected to the surrounding communities by anything other than car. Lastly, the city has also designated the area for industrial use, meaning that the chances for residential revitalization are extremely small.

Now, that is not to say that people cannot live a happy life in Delray. I am sure that some do, and that they take pride in their homes. They should. At the same time, the area poorly provides for the needs of its residents. Not "fit for human habitation" may have been a bit strong, but what I meant is that the area, given all the factors above, it is probably not well suited to host a residential community.

This does not mean that, on a personal level, I do not have great admiration for those who have stayed in Delray. I greatly, greatly admire people who are holdouts in the face of change, because they often live hard lives and because of their stubborn persistance and will to keep going. What I said also does mean that I do not appreciate the history of the city and the city's role in the history of Detroit. Delray has a rich history, and one that I appreciate.

Sorry if I did not explain what I meant sufficiently clearly. I hope this helps clarify things.

A_franklins_son
Username: A_franklins_son

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitblog guys take on Delray, w/pics...

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p= 253

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4361
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 4:48 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
LY's comment:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
quote:
China is buying old steel and iron from scrap/salvage operations and remaking steel itself in China even cheaper than the US firms could. The transportation costs are much the same either way--in refined form or in a scrap state.

Damn, we actually agree on something.

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus....

Merry Christmas.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 4:50 pm:

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Jams

Post Number: 4362
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 4:56 pm:

quote:
I don't think you know what you are talking about.

To whom are you addressing that comment?

Or is that a general statement about the forum?

that is addressed to you and others. I have worked on several multimillion dollar steel restructurings on behalf of investment banks and primary stakeholders....to repeat, you really don't know what you are talking about. No biggie...I really don't care to get into it. not worth my time.

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You, Thank You for the compliments on my Motor City Sea-Dog Yarns.

Amazing home-grown etymology of “Honkey”, Jjaba. I’d imagine “Bo-Hunk” or “Bohunk” is a contraction of Bohemian-Hungarian.

As a proud All-American “Mongrel” I’ve been called everything from “Wop” to “Squarehead”.
The most interesting though, was “Sausagehead”,a relatively affectionate term given to us Great Lakes sailors by black sailors when we’d sail on deep sea ships.

I’d say it rather suited us lumbering, beer-swilling, Harley riding types nicely.

Does anyone remember Joey Stables? I guess that was the cat’s pajamas restaurant in Delray.

My mom recalls Delray as a “Nice little town except for the smoke & crap.”

How true about the incredible value of scrap metal. A friend is making mega-bucks brokering scrap from ICBM sites in Russia to China. (Really)

One has to wonder who will be making their fortune from the scrap iron of (sniff) Tiger Stadium. Maybe it’s hastened its destruction?

(Message edited by sailor rick on December 21, 2006)

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 438
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks A_franklins_son, I really liked those pictures and the history. They really seemed to sum it up well.

Jams, I understand people loving a neighborhood despite its problems. People generally love their neighborhoods and want their neighborhoods to survive and prosper. I understand that(at least some)residents of Delray feel this way about their neighborhood. But I'm sure, that those same people and many others, are angry about high crime, bad school, a sewage plant, and a chemical dump in their neighborhood.

It's closeminded to think that everyone is content where they are and that there are no problems with their neighborhood. There are a hell of a lot of problems in Delray and Detroit, along with the affluent suburbs. Its time to leave the ivory tower and realize that there are problems and that people sometimes aren't happy about their situations.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 777
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thanks A_franklins_son, I really liked those pictures and the history

I posted that same link earlier in the thread.

Jams

Post Number: 4364
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does anyone remember Joey Stables? I guess that was the cat’s pajamas restaurant in Delray.

I tend to be a bit biased about Joey's since my Mom worked there for 31 years. My three sisters and I also worked there. I loved the frog legs.

After they closed the owner allowed me to take a few objects prior to the auction as keepsakes.

Milwaukee,
My observations regarding Delray are not made from an "ivory tower", but my longtime connections with the area. As I posted above I spent most of this past summer bartending at Kovac's, one of the last three bars left in Delray.

(Message edited by JamS on December 21, 2006)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's there a private club (bar) in one of the houses clustered near the Forman Wye?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, rumors are floating around that Bob and Delores closed down Kovacs. About a month ago, I drove by, but it was after 9 on a week night, so that doesn't mean a whole lot, since they mostly did a lunch business. Any truth to the rumors?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have some Joey's Stables matchbooks in my collection. What's the history of the restaurant, when did they establish, close for good, serve on the menu? It would be nice to know those factoids when I show off my collection so I can speak with some historical authority.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 441
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The restaurant was in a big court case in the mid 80's with the restaurant workers union. That might have lead to the restaurant's demise.

http://www.nlrb.gov/nlrb/share d_files/decisions/279/279-728. txt

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3453
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delray and Zug Island are an indelible part of my memory as my very first Detroit job and experiences began on Zug Island in 1966.

Years later I created the painting below of my first job. It shows coke being disgorged from one of the immense coke ovens into a hopper car. The car would pass under a 'dowser' where tons of water would cool it and send up giant magnificent white plumes of steam. The car would then be returned to discharge the coke onto an inclined plane.

My job was to pull open gates to proportionately let the coke slide onto a conveyor belt. It was a Charlie Chaplinesque job where one fell perpetually behind and gasped to keep up. Nonetheless, the explosion of light created by the out-thrust of tons of red hot coke that broke the night and highlighted every feature in an orange glow was an unforgettable vision of perverse beauty.

Zug Island Coke - painting by Lowell Boileau

Jams

Post Number: 4366
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joey's Stables opened October 26, 1933 and closed December 31, 1989.

It was in the top tiers of restaurants in Detroit. The legendary history I know of it is probably a mixture of fact and fiction, but it was a very colorful place.

Over the years a virtual Who's Who of Detroit dined and drank there. My Mom waited on Cavanaugh, Hubbard, the various Judge Brennans and Cahalans, "Black Jack" Kelly, were among the many politicians that frequented the place.

I've always loved hearing the stories about the Prohibition Era, they having one of the few authenticated tunnels that ran under W. Jefferson into the basement from the building the family owned alongside the Rouge River to bring in the booze from Canada.

My family always found it funny that Joey's had a reputation as an Hungarian restaurant, since the only Hungarian thing about the place was my mother. The owners and management were all Poles.

As far as the reasons that it finally closed, while that legal action was devisive at the time, the location killed it off. To have three sides of the building a sewage treatment facility tended to drive off all but the most loyal of customers.

But I have the great memories of my sisters and I, when we were kids, dressing in our costumes on Halloween and start our Trick or Treating there each year and the staff dropping money and treats into our bags, before we went back to our neighborhood for the candy.

That and the fact our family dog was fed leftover Prime Rib regularly that my Mom brought home.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4126
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is it reasonable to now deny people who choose to live in an area possibly hazardous to their health despite their personal choice and was residential in the past.

From a Darwinian point of view, I encourage people who want to live "in an area possibly hazardous to their health" to do so.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jams, I really liked that story. That sounded like a great place, too bad its gone. That seems like a really weird place for a fancy restaurant to be. I can easily see a nice restaurant in Detroit, but in Delray, that area was never rich. Why was the restaurant in that location?

Jams

Post Number: 4368
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can easily see a nice restaurant in Detroit, but in Delray, that area was never rich. Why was the restaurant in that location?

Learn to see beyond the present circumstances. I remember that area lined with shops, bars, restaurants, and viable neighborhoods just 40 years ago.

Dad played softball on the playfield for his bar's team just past the RR tracks.

Jelk,
All I can say is,
That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Not everyone grows up in Grosse Pointe, and many make a contribution to the world despite that.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 456
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the neighborhood was full of people 40 years ago, but that doesn't mean it was rich. Why wasn't a fancy place like this up in Palmer's Woods or downtown? I can't really think of any fancy restaurants in Milwaukee's poorest neighborhoods, even in neighborhoods that were once middle class. I don't see why the owners wouldn't have moved with most of the rich people out of Detroit to Oakland County or to the Points.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4127
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are places in this world between Grosse Pointe and the Love Canal. It's really too bad you didn't grow up in a place like Grosse Pointe because your envy for those who did is so obvious it is painful. Was southern Ontario really that bad? Because it's always seemed quite pleasent to me.

If you re-read my post I never, never said anything negative about the people of Delray only the location. In fact it is, in my opinion, tragic that people are forced by economic situation (or otherwise) live in such a toxic environment. Moreover, I don't think anyone should idealize places like Delray because what is being idealized is an unfortunate situation.

Now if someone chooses to live in the Delray's of the world knowing the environmental realities and having the means to live in a less toxic environment, then yes by all means be my guest. Natural selection will take care of the rest.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, on a happy note, several years ago I made prints from slides my parents had taken of me when I was in the 3 - 8 age period I would guess. There were all these photos of us by the river - and you can see the smokestacks in the short distance belching purple and blue smoke. It looked pretty freaky, really. I was like, we thought this was normal?

As far as restaurants, has anyone ever been to Phil Schmidts in Hammond, IN? Great restaurant - has been there forever - frog legs and lake perch. Like going back in time, wonderful experience if you are ever in the area. Next door to the plant where they make Lever soap, just caddy corner from the gambling boat place....most of the traffic is headed to gamble.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phil Schmidts ROCKS! being from West Michigan, we used to go there all the time en route to chicago.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We love it too. It is nice to see someone not try and make everything modern, I don't really know how to say what I am trying to say. I guess i would say I am glad they didn't put some ugly looking facade on a great interior. The pies were really good too - the black raspberry and the gooseberry.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3458
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delray Highlight tour

"Downtown Delray"
Delray Detroit Michigan

Holy Cross Hungarian Catholic church
Delray Detroit Michigan

"Our Lady of the Sewers" St. John Cantius School
St. John Cantius Delray Detroit Michigan

Detroit Waste Treatment
Detroit Waste Treatment Delray Detroit Michigan

Zug Island
Delray Detroit Michigan

Zug Island Bridge
Zug Island Bridge Delray Detroit Michigan

Svent Janos Delray
Svent Janos Delray Detroit Michigan

Back Garden Delray
Delray Detroit Michigan

First Hebrew Congregation of Delray
First Hebrew Congregation of Delray Detroit Michigan

Finish up with a cold one at Kovacs Bar
Kovacs Bar Delray Detroit Michigan

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4637
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell's self-portait and the photos, plus Jams comments, make this a very wonderful thread about Delray. The Detroit modern board-up store fronts are uniquely Detroit, eh. Nobody else does boardups like we do.

Those corner taverns in brick are so cool. Tenants and owners don't have to stagger very far to home. You'll note very few of them in Jewish neighborhoods. Jews drink at home.

Scrap dealers all have MDs now, Metal Dealers. They attend MD conventions in Bahamas and talk about their stacks of copper, aluminium, and how many wrecking lots they own. That's a hell of long ways from the "sheeney man" days of ox carts and junk. Junk is now "junque."

The Delray Synagogue is typical of the "arbiter schules". Junkmen, cab drivers, factory workers, peddlers, could meet at 6 am minyon, daven daily prayers, and go to work. These 1920s-era schules could always get 10 men for a morning Minyon, and pack them out on High Holidays and Bar Mitzvahs. A Polish or Hungarian Shabbos Goy next door would stoke the boiler for them and turn on the lights.
jjaba, thanks for the info.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe some of what I am reading about Joey's. Yes you can have nice places in areas of modest means. Just because everyone in the neighborhood was not born with a silver spoon in their mouth does not mean that everyone that lives there is broke. SW Detroit's history is rich and colorful. Go to service at Holy Redeemer or St Hedwigs and you will see that those who patronize that area are not all poor hispanics. In fact there are wealthy people who still live down there who come from all sorts of ethnic groups. Please remember that 20-30 years ago there were lots of folks working down there too hat needed a place to eat.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until the Western YMCA on Clark closed down a few years ago, I worked out there six days a week. Other daily members included quite a few in their thirties through age 70 or so from the wealthy burbs in Oakland and Macomb Counties. They came because they had grown up near there and really never left (at least, not until the Y was shuttered). The pastor of historic St. Joseph's came there regularly too, but that was on account of Comerica Park's closing down his Y downtown.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on December 21, 2006)

Milwaukee

Post Number: 459
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the photos Lowell. So did Kovac's really close and was it one of Detroit's best hamburgers? If thats true, then that really sucks.

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried to go to Delray more than a few times and it always freaked me out. It is so haunted.
(I love Delray though...nothing like it on the planet probably...and this is a cool thread)
and these were serious indians. Brain surgeries?

Source:Rear View Mirror Detroit News
Link to whole article way below:

"Many mounds along the Detroit and Rouge rivers had been leveled in the previous century to make way for development.
One, the "Great Mound on the Rouge" in Delray at the junction of the Rouge and Detroit rivers, captured the fancy of early historians. It was 400 feet long, 200 feet wide and 40 feet high. It was so packed with bones that they were easily exposed by wandering cattle."

"Early French explorers note the exisitence of the mound but by 1880, "pot hunting," the bane of archaeologists, had taken its toll. No trace of the mound remains today".

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=167&categ ory=life

Milwaukee

Post Number: 460
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats pretty sad, here Delray is, on the Detroit river between the great lakes, a beautiful area. Generations of people were buried there and now its this tamed place. But a bad tamed, Detroit put all its garbage at the meeting place of these two rivers. It seems pretty disrespectful, but thats not to say it hasn't been done all over America.

(Message edited by milwaukee on December 21, 2006)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those Indian mounds were much more common in Wisconsin than in Michigan because these Indians were believed to have come from the Lower Mississippi River regions and migrated north along the Mississippi. There were literally thousands of such mounds in Madison alone. One street a block south of the University of Wisconsin is called Mound Street.

Madison's early residents used the sand and gravel in them for building their homes. Those mounds were essentially effigy mounds constructed in the shapes of birds and turtles, etc. Some are a couple hundred feet long, but they usually have nothing man-made within them. Several dozen of them still remain in Madison and the surrounding area. These mound-building Indians from nearly a millenium ago build other Aztalan structures too, especially near Lake Mills.

One such mound was cut into when the Madison Zoo in Wingra Park was constructed eons ago. They can be indistinguishable from some tiny glacial drumlins, so not much was made of them a hundred of years ago.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 462
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read that about Milwaukee, there were hundreds of them all over the city. Some of them were shaped like animals, today I believe all are gone if not paved over. You can't really see them by satelite, much less while you're on the ground. I guess my point was that the area was probably pretty beautiful, two rivers, lush and green, now a barren wasteland of blown out houses, sleazy people, and Zug Island (beautiful in its own way).

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn them pictures are straight. I roll through Delray daily. I am comfortable there. Mabye it's the backround. In the one Pic of St johns Skool that's gone...got tore down a few weeks ago that's one of the last tome you'll ever see that Oh and I make it rain

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the one of the Greek Catholic Church is straight too

Pam

Post Number: 783
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pics, Lowell. Guess it is not a complete toxic wasteland there yet since they still have trees and flowers. :-)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 448
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On mound building, it was done predominantly by the Hopewell and Mississippian cultures, 200 BC to 1200 AD. These were large agrian societies of around 2000 + residents. These societies had ruling classes, working classes and slaves. It is believed that a mini ice age in the 12th century caused long draught periods that could no longer sustain these large societies, so by the time Columbus first visited he encountered the smaller tribes we are so familiar with in history. These mounds often have pottery and other artifacts, the hopewell's would bury people of high status in these with lots of pottery and valuables. You could liken some to the pharoh pyramids. There is a huge one in Western Illinois, Monk's mound, that I want to get out too see next spring.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So did Kovac's really close and was it one of Detroit's best hamburgers? If thats true, then that really sucks.

Still waiting on the answer to the first part.

I did not favor the burgers as much as the liverwurst & onion sandwich. Delores' beef stroganoff was killer, tho.

Trivia (as many of you probably know, but for those who don't): A scene from "Hoffa" was filmed at Kovacs

Jjaba

Post Number: 4646
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are sure that Jimmie Hoffa frequented such places as Kovacs. He was with the people awright.
When he started flirting with suburbs like Birmingham, that's when he got into trouble.
Thanks Dds.

jjaba.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was Joey's Stables located?

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised there has been no mention of Al's Lounge. I'd go with my aunt and uncle on Saturday nights in the 70s and it did a great business.

Jams

Post Number: 4377
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joey's Stables, 8800 West Jefferson.

All traces of the buiding are gone, the site is part of the Sewage Treatment Plant complex now.

I was a bit surprised also about no mention of Al's as well. The family that owned it were our next door neighbors. We used to go quite a bit Friday nights for the fish fries.

Alas, there is nothing there now but an empty lot.

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a interesting piece of history that pertains to Delray in Detroit. I happen to live in Delray Beach Florida during the winter. I hope you find this interesting

In 1894, 38-year old William s. Linton, Saginaw, Michigan postmaster, purchased 160 acres of Gleason’s land for $25 per acre while on safari in Florida with friend and investor Henry Swinton, a book store owner from Saginaw. Linton became aware of the land sale through an advertisement, placed by Gleason, promoting it as an excellent but for interested developers. The railroad would not extend south to the advertised land until two years later. In order to see the property, Linton and Swinton traveled by boat on Lake Worth to the mouth of the canal, and then by barge. The East Coast Canal on which they traveled , had been made navigable to the House of Refuge in 1890. The same year Linton arrived, black families from the mid-Panhandle region of Florida, purchased land and settled west of that bought by Linton – land west of the Intracoastal canal. Led by Fagan Henry and wife Jane Monroe, these pioneer black families persuaded relatives and friends from Gadsen County to join them in the Florida wilderness between 1894 and 1896 – the years of Henry Flagler’s push to the south and the building of the railroad from West Palm Beach to Miami.
Linton and Swinton returned to Saginaw following their land purchase. Linton began advertising the Florida land in Michigan area newspapers and by the fall of 1895, had organized a group of followers. The :Michigan Connection" arrived in the South Florida frontier in October of 1895 and began the task of settling the Town of Linton. The group included E. Burslein Thomson, a civil engineer; W.W. Blackmer, an F.E.C. railroad clerk; Frank W. Chapman, former Michigan Central Railroad supply agent; and farmers Fason Baker, Peter Leurs, Otto Schrader, Kemp Burton, and Adolf Hoffman. After the initial excursion with Linton, Swinton opted not to return to the heat stricken, bug-infested land. William Linton returned to Saginaw, leaving the settlement bearing his name and a lake named "Ida" after his wife.
After the freeze of 1895, Mr. Linton became unable to make payments on his land. A few discouraged farmers returned north. By 1898, Linton’s mortgages foreclosed and able remaining settlers bought back the land. Yet along with the setbacks came progress. The first alcohol house was built in 1898 and three years later, the settlers met there and decided to change the name of their town. Linton had seen hard days and a new name might bring better times and more settlers. The name Delray was selected for a Detroit suburb where many of the settlers had come from. The word originated from the Spanish derivative meaning "of the king".

Jjaba

Post Number: 4655
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Artistic's post belongs in Forum Archives as best post in a damn long time. Really interesting.
Thanks. Welcome to Forum.

jjaba, Westsider.

Artistic

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks jjaba, I'm a native Detroiter so you could
imagine my surprise when I arrived in Delray Beach Florida and discovered it's history.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4657
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Artistic, amazing find. What is interesting is that most of Michigan's snowbirds in Fla. have bought on the Gulf Coast side or in Central Fla.
Ofcourse, most of these investments were post WWII.

And you tell us Delray Beach, on the Atlantic Coast has Michigan naming rights. Are there any references to Detroit in Delray Beach like streets, parks, neighborhoods, or just the name of the city?

jjaba, on the Westside.

Artistic

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, One of the main roads in Delray Beach is Linton named after the postmaster from Saginaw, I live in a historic neighborhood named Del Ida Park, named after delray in detroit and Linton's wife Ida. There is also Swinton Ave which is the namesake of the man who came from Delray in Detroit to name this city.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4659
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Artistic. Keep digging, you may find more.
Maybe someboy has a map of the place.
jjaba.

Cman710

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A look at a map shows me that there is also a Delray Shores, FL (close to I-95, west of Delray Beach) and Delray Gardens (further west).

Click the following for a link to a map you can zoom in on:
http://local.live.com/default. aspx?v=2&cp=26.464373~-80.0742 01&style=r&lvl=12&tilt=-90&dir =0&alt=-1000&scene=2100903

Cman710

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

Here is a link to a video I found on YouTube that contains footage from a boat just off Zug Island: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LxSCuPuFOIs&mode=related&sear ch=

This video contains footage from on the island, and is not that interesting, but if you want to take a look, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =sJRae7sHqeY&mode=related&sear ch=

Merry Christmas, everyone! (or Happy Holidays, if you celebrate another holiday)

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 333
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove through old Delray today just after the sun peaked out from behind the clouds. The Engine 29 Fire Company on Jefferson was out looking over their trucks in the sun. Those red doors on the front sure light up in the sun! Just behind the firehouse and a block east on Erie Street is an abandoned and wrecked Church. Anyone know which one that was? Has been empty for many many years, every window is broken - there is a free bed headboard sticking out of the brickwork on one side.

There is some sort of commercial building on Dearborn Ave just south of the Citgo on the same side of the street that is being demolished or just falling in. Lots of bricks scattered all over, in case anyone out there collects old bricks. Might want to take a look.

I wish I have a camera to capture St. John Cantius in the glorious sun rebuffing the sewer plant. It will be a sad day if and when that church comes down :-(

Otherwise, not much new. Lots of broken and abused traffic signals down that way. I just disregard them all and blow right on through... ha ha

Jjaba

Post Number: 4664
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like a dad and 15 yr. old could do some driver's training there. Hey, if you wreck into something, ain't nobody going to sue you.
Delray might also a great place to test out your new springs on the car before heading up North. Amazing potholes, eh.

jjaba.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 519
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the information Artistic, pretty interesting.

Nobody answered this one, did Kovac's close or is it planning on closing?

Also, any news on the new bridge, has it been approved? Would a new bridge lead to the demolition of the Ambassador?

Busterwmu

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kovac's is still open as best as I can tell. Dunno about their future though.

No word on the bridge either. I doubt they'd demolish the Ambassador if they build a new bridge.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

demolition of the Ambassador?

I'm surprised at the question. I was under the impression that all conduits and more were needed.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 621
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ambassador is privately owned and very profitable. It is not really up to the Govt to Demolish it.

The basic problem lies in the neighborhoods in Windsor. Trucks are backing up off of Huron Church and trying to cut-in by using side-streets to avoid delays (this causes delays for the system, but lessens them for those that play the system).

You have to remember that the area being talked about now in Delray is the entire study area. You should not expect that the bridge will wipe out everything within that area, as the actual footprint will be much smaller. With every major project environmental rules must be followed, this includes looking at the impacts of this project on the current natural environment, and cultural environment. Natural environment is quantify-able, while cultural is not. Cultural environment is measured in terms of historic structures, employment centers, and impact on low-income and minority communities.

These footprints also have a tendancy to shrink and grow over time, based upon what has been found. One major thing that has to be overcome with this site are the salt mines. You just can't go building a huge bridge on top of giant tunnels.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 527
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to hear that the project is still only in the planning stages. Good to hear about Kovac's and that the Ambassador won't be falling anytime soon.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4667
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

70,000 HUNGARIANS in Delray.

Just after 1900, Hungarians came to Delray to work, live, and become Americans. They ran small local shops, worked in factories, foundries, and mines.

Major employers over the yrs. were Intl. Salt Mine, Solvay Process, Peninsular Stove, Revere Copper and Brass, and the Ford Rouge. In the haze of smokestacks they'd sing and dance with their Gypsy violins.

Here's a list of local Hungarian-speaking stores:

Delray Meats
Rozi Neni's Bar
Lehotsky's Bakery
Fancy Pastry Shop
Zolkower's Dept. Store.
Verhovay Social Club
Petofi Social Club

Hungarian Jews lived there along with the Christians and Orthodox. They built an arbiter's schule and worked in dry goods, small shops, factories, and ran junk yards. Before WWII, the Jews were already moving out and up to the Jewish Westside. 2nd generation Hungarian Jewish kids were at Central HS.

jjaba, notes on Delray.

Cman710

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, what is the source of your information? It would be helpful to all of us if we could reference the original source. Thanks!

Cman710

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to an article some of you might find interesting. It is from 2002, and called "Ray of Hope in Delray."

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=3331

Milwaukee

Post Number: 539
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Cman710, I don't really see any hope in Delray. After reading posts on this thread and looking at pictures, it seems like a bridge enterance and a park would be much nicer than the community that stands there today.

Thanks for the information Jjaba, thats pretty amazing. Once 70,000+ people lived in Delray and now barely 2,000 people. Thats really sad.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4669
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Combo of sources, but some from the Detroit Almanac put out by the Detroit Free Press.

Of interest is the Jews of Delray. Mostly, this was a Hungarian Jewish community. Jews immigrated and formed synagogues along nationalities. They formed communtiies the same way. Other neighborhoods might have had a Romanian or a Russian synagogue. Polish Jews settled in Hamtramck. There a was a community of Jews at Michigan-Junction and Jews ran stores there.

As the next generations came along, Jews regrouped to some extent, moving up through Dexter-Linwood, the Northwest side of Curtis-Wyoming, and into Oak Park, Southfield, W. Bloomfield, Novi.

A generation is 25 yrs. There was a generation of Jewish students at Northern, at Central, at Mumford, at Mac Kenzie, at Cooley, at Ford High Schools with some always at Cass Technical.
Then at the suburbs NW of Detroit.

Ofcourse, there are some Jews elsewhere including Troy, and Grosse Pointe as examples.

Most likely, the Delray Jews moved up into Dexter-Linwood as they settled into that mainstream of more successful families.

Yes, Delray has slipped quite a ways, eh.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4670
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell's photo of the First Hebrew Congregation of Delray was also known as the Orthodox Hungarian Hebrew Congregation and is the first orthodox synagogue West of Woodward Ave. in Detroit. The Jewish community of Delray dates from 1900, some of the earliest evidence of a good sized Jewish community in Detroit. It is located on Burdeno St. near Ft. Wayne. Thus, Jews came at the same time as Hungarians of other faiths.

Hungarian Jews were growing rapidly after their Delray bldg. was completed. They were planning a $50,000 building at Beaubein and Garfield designed by Kohnesberg, the Beth Elihu Synagogue.

In 1929, a River Rouge Jewish Congregation was organized and they built a small synagogue in 1936, served mostly by visiting rabbis and rabinical students. There's another Jewish community in Wyandotte.

In 1918,Aaron Moshe Synagogue at 29th and Michigan Aves. was built. In 1927, it was remodeled and expanded. About 35 Jewish families lived in that area and many had businesses there. This congregation served GM workers at Cadillac Motors and other area plants in SW Detroit.

Growing up, jjaba recalls Jewish merchants and plenty of Jewish doctors/medical clinics in the Michigan-Junction area. Also along Fort Street. Jewish doctors served workers with auto plant accidents.

(source: JEWISH DETROIT by Irwin J. Cohen)

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Cman710

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the information, jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4677
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other Del Ray's in view.

Del Ray Neighborhood in Alexandria, VA.
Was once a real city until 1931 when swallowed by the parent city. It was linked to Wash., DC by Interurban. 1960-1970s it went downhill but last 20 yrs. making comeback. Wash, DC Metro stops there. Bungalows and Queen Anne homes.

Del Ray Ballroom, Lincoln, Nebraska. Learn to balroom dance here. Sign up for lessons.

Marina Del Rey, CA. One of America's wealthiest communities. Stay at Ritz-Carlton Hotel.

Marina Del Ray Band, Worcester, England. Good old fashioned rockers.

Del Ray RV Park and Hotel, Corpus Christi, Texas.
Take a respite from winter. Full hookups, pull throughs, and clean showers.

jjaba, Del Ray Research Dept.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delray is an interesting place to explore. A good place to look around is the Delray fish park. The drive is just past the southern boundary of Fort Wayne off West Jefferson. Alas, it’s only open from the spring through the fall. Admission is free, unless you’re using the boat launch to launch a boat.

From the fish park, you have a good view of Zug Island to the south. If you like cement boats/barges, the Springwells Lafarge Dock is adjacent to the park to the south, just above Zug Island. Across the river on the Canadian side, you can see the fuel dock, Sterling Marine Fuels, where the boats fill up on go-go juice. If you’re there early enough in the day, you might see the Detroit-Windsor Truck ferry (powered by tug Stormont) making a run. You might also see BillyBBrew go by on the Mighty Magnetic.

It’s also at a nice spot where the river bends. It’s fascinating to watch the boats come downriver from the Downtown area—you can see them make the turn at Downtown. You don’t realize how much of a bend there is in the river until you see that.

If nothing else, it’s a great place to sit & watch the river go by. I’ve spent many a lunch there in years past. And, as the name implies, it’s a great spot to fish.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4681
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awfarve, great post. Thanks.
jjaba.

Cman710

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone give me a link to a map showing where the fish park is? I was unable to find it on local.live.com, MSN's equivalent of Google Maps.

This has been a great thread, so thanks to everyone who has posted it. I am not sure if it will be deemed Hall of Fame worthy, but I hope so!

Milwaukee

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I am not sure if it will be deemed Hall of Fame worthy, but I hope so!"

It has. If you look at those arrows next to the thread name it tells you whether or not it is. If its gold, then its a hall of famer.

Cman710

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great. Thanks Milwaukee. I am still a relative newcomer to the forume, so I did not know what that meant.

For some more pictures of Delray, go to the following link from Detroitrising: http://www.detroitrising.com/d elray.htm

Does anyone know what the building in the tenth picture was?http://www.detroitrising.com/i mages/delray10.jpg

(Message edited by cman710 on December 29, 2006)

Jams

Post Number: 4420
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old 4th precinct house, known in the neighborhood as "Fort and Green", its location.

Awfavre

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman710, I could not find a detailed map showing the current drive to the Delray fish park, the new Lafarge Terminal, & so on, but I found a few maps showing the general area. Also, the entry is across from Rademacher Ave, which is sandwiched between Reid & Waterman on the North side of West Jefferson. There is a large sign at the entry showing the hours & other info.

You can see on this map it’s sometimes called the Detroit Edison Delray Fishing Pier and Boat Launch.
http://www.greenwaycollab.com/ images/DET_RIV/DROM.gif

It’s item #3 on the small map on this webpage.
http://www.greatmich.com/boat_ launch/detroit_river_boat_laun ch.htm

It’s item #13 on the Metropolitan Affairs Coalition poster below.
http://www.mac-web.org/Publica tions/assets/Charting_the_Cour se_poster.pdf

Jams

Post Number: 4426
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About the explosion at Wayne Soap.

I asked my mom about it today, other than she was working at Joey's Stables that night and heard it, she remembers very little about it.

Her big complaint was, since no inspectors were out at night, Wayne Soap released noxious odors at night. They at times permeated the restaurant, one of the reasons Joey's closed. Can't expect to have patrons enjoy a meal while sitting in a place smelling of rancid and decaying grease and fat.

I remember that stench well. Dad played Bar softball on a field near Wayne Soap, the odor of the rendering of grease and fat was overwhelming.

Cman710

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awfavre, thanks very much!

Does this link show the location? It's sort of a small inlet down and to the right once you click on the link.

http://local.live.com/default. aspx?v=2&cp=42.296231~-83.0999 42&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir= 0&alt=-1000&scene=5654814

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who can forget this tragic incident from last year in Delray?

Inner-City Community Bands Together To Find Missing Parent
April 13, 2005
DETROIT—In a heartwarming display of community feeling, members of the Delray neighborhood in southwest Detroit have banded together to find Milo Patterson, 38, the latest parent to vanish in the string of mysterious abductions that has plagued the area.

http://www.theonion.com/conten t/node/30978

Pam

Post Number: 817
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Hungarian Holy Cross Church is another interesting, and very well maintained functioning parish. My Mother and Father attend this church semi-regularly. I was there about 4 weeks ago after not being there for many years. I could not believe the enthusiasm of the pastor, Barnabas Kiss, and his sincere efforts in pulling the community together.

I attended the Hungarian mass at Holy Cross today. I don't speak the language but the priest did have enthusiastic hand gestures. :-)

The church was beautiful and very well maintained. Nice sounding choir and pipe organ.
Forum Catholics and old church fans should definitely check it out. (They had some tasty looking refreshments too.)

Cman710

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, Pam. How full was the church? I am interested in getting a sense of how vibrant the congregation is there.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 562
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Delray really that dangerous? It seems poor but it doesn't seem like it would be a violent neighborhood. Would it be really awkward for a white guy from Wisconsin to drive around there?

Jjaba

Post Number: 4704
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is mostly ok in daytime. Better stay in well-lit, busier places at night. You got places in Milawukee that you don't drive around in or walk in at night.

Unless you take Lowell with you, tours of abandoned Detroit alone for the first time, can become problematic.

The last guy who tried that on the Eastside was locked up in an abandoned warehouse and never seen again.

jjaba, Proudly Far Westside.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 566
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks jjaba, I wasn't planning on going into any abandoned buildings. I'll leave that to someone who knows better.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been noted that the St. John Cantius School building was razed back in October. The St. John Cantius Church will remain open only through early October 2007 so that the parishioners may celebrate the parish's 105th anniversary. After that, the building will close.

Sunday Mass is currently held on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. On the last Saturday of the month, that mass is said in Polish.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A guy in Wisconsin getting his Detroit safety advice from a guy in Oregon? For once I am more qualified to comment.

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ffdfd,
Am I missing something here? 53 people missing? What? Seems like a heckuva lot of people to be missing.
PS Is this a misprint perhaps? Thanks

Quote; "Patterson is the 53rd adult to go missing in the Delray neighborhood this year."

from http://www.theonion.com/conten t/node/30978

Milwaukee

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy Buddy, Jjaba knows his stuff. You can pick an argument or question just about anyone on the forum but not Jjaba.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 570
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"PS Is this a misprint perhaps?"

No, its just the Onion. It's a joke newspaper.

Cman710

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen (or others who know Delray),

So, how many churches are located in Delray? Currently, there is the Hungarian Church of the Holy Cross, and St. John Cantius, which will be closing soon. (Luckily, I am hoping to visit Detroit again before October 2007, so I should be able to see the church while it is still open.)

Also, the Hungarian Church is Catholic, right?

Lastly, are there any other churches, or are those the other two?

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Milwaukee. Its sorta like the New York Times. I get it....original post was ffdfd? not
jjaba though?...took me a minute to figure it all out.....if
you were referring to my inquiry. Cheers LOL
Wondering why they chose DelRay though.?

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as things named after Delray. I didn't read this whole thread (shame on me) just skimmed and read things that caught my eye. I didn't see mention anywhere of Chevrolet's 1950's model "Delray" I know in 1957 they had the model 210 Delray which was the lower scaled 2 door sedan version of the BelAir Hardtop. I came to Detroit in 1989 when I was 18, I lived in Delray on our property there. I never had any problems, but it most certainly was different than the small middle class mid-Michigan town I grew up in. Delray has really changed alot since I've been down here. In some ways things are slightly better, in other ways it's become even more depressingly bleak. Some on the anchor industries are gone, but some still thrive. i.e. Lockeman's Hardware, Delray Cafe, Delray Mechanical, Yellow Freight, Ferriss Marine, Marine Pollution Control, Kovacs, LaFarge, and so on. I can only hope for the best for everyone with the upcoming bridge issues.

Pam

Post Number: 818
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How full was the church? I am interested in getting a sense of how vibrant the congregation is there.

Not very full, but it was the second mass of the day so maybe the first one (in English) was more crowded.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have all the synagogues in Delray closed?

If churches are closing then the neighborhood is dead. A church is like the last beat of a dying heart.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5358
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Milwaukee,

All the synagogues in Delray are long gone. But some of the churches are still there.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4708
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apart from a small congregation in Lafayette Park, using a rented space, and the Downtown Synagogue, there are no shuls left in the City of Detroit. 80,000 "Detroit" Jews and nobody walking to schule in Detroit anymore.

jjaba, Westside Torah Bukkor.

Cman710

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, when you say 80,000 "Detroit" Jews, do you mean that many have moved to the suburbs?

At its peak, how large was the city's Jewish population?

Awfavre

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman710, that link does, indeed, show the Delray fish park, if you move the map toward the river.

If you move the map down to follow the river downward, you'll see a cement boat at the Springwells Lafarge cement dock (the English River, I think), then tug Stormont doing the Detroit-Windsor truck ferry, & finally the lovely steamer Halifax (I think—correct me if I’m wrong, BillyBBrew) at Zug Island. Further down in the Rouge Shortcut, you’ll see the H. Lee White unloading coal, while a Gaelic tug refuels her.

This is a cool tool! I can’t believe I’ve never played around with it before now. Thanks for the link. :-)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Union Belt terminal railroad was a predecessor to the current Conrail SAA terminal railroad. (Yes, Conrail still exists in three terminal cities.)

There is some interesting reading from the 1920s in the business minutes on the MichiganRailroads.com website. Delray was a major hub for the Union Belt.

If and when a locomotive tied up a roundhouse by being dropped near 15th street, another choo-choo had to be dispatched all the way from Delray to the FSUD for hauling the passengers away from the passenger depot to a waiting Penn RR engine, which was too heavy for the FSUD trestle.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4727
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman710. 80,000 Jews live in Detroit suburbs.
In 2007, more than half are born and raised there. Another per centage have moved in from other N. American cities, or are immigrants.
Detroit Jewry absorbed a large number of Soviet Empire (many republics) Jews in the 1980s and into the 1990s. Almost all of them never ever lived in corporate Detroit. Immigrant Israelis live here too.
They were placed in suburbs like Oak Park, Southfield, etc.

Having said this, jjaba points out that Detroit Jews work in Detroit to this day. But the vast majority of those, retire at night beyond the City Limits.

jjaba, old Dexter Blvd. Torah Bukkor.

Asburypark
Username: Asburypark

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to some more pictures of Delray. There's a pretty nice one of the St. John Cantius Church.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a llanm/sets/480516/

Cman710

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, jjaba. Any idea how many Jews lived in the city itself in the '40s or '50s? Has the total number been somewhat constant of the years, if you count the metro area, and in the past, more Jews just had lived in the city?

Jjaba

Post Number: 4733
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman710. jjaba would say 95% of Metro Detroit Jews lived in City of Detroit before the expressways or WWII. So in the period, 1900-1950, we evolved from Lower Eastside up through Woodward, cross Woodward, and up through the NW side. There is a "Jews in Detroit" thread for more info.

The 5% would have lived in Wyandotte, some in Trenton, River Rouge, a few in Grosse Pointe, many in Hamtramck, a few in Highland Park.

After about 1950 with the newer suburbs, they bought new homes in Livonia, Oak Park, Southfield, and existing homes in Ferndale, Grosse Pointe, Huntington Woods, Berkley, etc.
Some went to Royal Oak and Birmingham if they could afford it. Now there's a Jewish community in Troy.

In Detroit, they also were in Delray, Michigan-Junction, Curtis-Wyoming, and the biggest community being Dexter-Linwood, 12th Street.

jjaba, Demography Lesson.

Jams

Post Number: 4493
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks jjaba for the history of the Jews in Delray. As a kid growing up in SW Detroit, I never realized one of my best friends was a Jew, just a kid I played with and went to Scouts with.

It wasn't until I attended UofM I learned there was a difference, not that I'll ever accept that it is a difference.

If ever I have the chance to join you in Seder, I will consider it an honor.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4736
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shalom Jams. That's American as hell, eh.

Although jjaba came up in St. Brigits Parish on Schoolcraft and Northlawn, we had two religions in the neighborhood; Catholics and Publics.
jjaba is a public.

As Jews, we fit in. We are immigrants, we are poor, we are wealthy, we fit in. We speak your language, that's mostly English, and we fit in. Our culture has always fit in, and we fit in our religion into your country. Until 1948 with Israel, we never had a country. We had to fit in. In N. America, nothing has changed.

Jams, thanks for verifying that Jews built every part of Detroit, just like everybody else. Sadly, when others left, so did we. Natch, we fit in.

We give back. You'll find our names in concert halls, parks, college bldgs., and courthouses.
We are judges and senators, in junk yards, in packing plants and pickles.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor in the Dexter Bus.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5380
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Jjaba,

JEWS FIT IN and change Detroit and especially America. Thank-you Jews.

Some of Godrelatives are Jews, they help my family a lot. So anyone don't say nothing bad about them for they came to America with talents, skills, solidarity, revolution and solutions.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 792
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm sure the neighborhood was full of people 40 years ago, but that doesn't mean it was rich. Why wasn't a fancy place like this up in Palmer's Woods or downtown? I can't really think of any fancy restaurants in Milwaukee's poorest neighborhoods, even in neighborhoods that were once middle class. I don't see why the owners wouldn't have moved with most of the rich people out of Detroit to Oakland County or to the Points.

quote:

I guess my point was that the area was probably pretty beautiful, two rivers, lush and green, now a barren wasteland of blown out houses, sleazy people, and Zug Island (beautiful in its own way)

quote:

Is Delray really that dangerous? It seems poor but it doesn't seem like it would be a violent neighborhood. Would it be really awkward for a white guy from Wisconsin to drive around there?

quote:

Have all the synagogues in Delray closed?

If churches are closing then the neighborhood is dead. A church is like the last beat of a dying heart.

Milwaukee,

Real life is not a black-white/either-or situation, especially in places like Delray.

If you really want to understand Delray, or any other aspect of real life, you need to stop trying to fit everything into a neat little box.

Delray was not some kind of beautiful green paradise that suddenly turned into a barren wasteland.

Delray has long been a home to heavy industry, and the neighborhoods used to house these (mostly poor and immigrant) workers.

Over the decades, Delray has lost most of it's residential population, and has become even more industrial.

quote:

I don't really see any hope in Delray. After reading posts on this thread and looking at pictures, it seems like a bridge enterance and a park would be much nicer than the community that stands there today

Don't let the dreary pictures and sad stories about Delray upset you. Delray doesn't need a new park to spruce things up, it doesn't need to be rehabbed as a pretty new residential area, and it certainly doesn't need your "hope".

Delray may not have pretty little houses on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens, but it is is one of the most important neighborhoods in all of metro Detroit.

Delray, and a few other SW Detroit neighborhoods, do all of the dirty work for metro Detroit. The city has grouped a large amount of unpleasant facilities in, and around, Delray. This sucks for the remaining residents of Delray, but I don't see anybody willing to move the sewage treatment plant, steel plants, or cement silos into their neighborhood.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former peninsula--Zug Island--is a logical location for heavy industry, such as steel making. The land was not very ideal for homes and such, being essentially reclaimed marsh and such. Being at the site of two rivers makes transportation and piers also convenient.

Then the peninsula was transformed into an "island" when the Army Corps of Engineers widened the Rouge up to the Ford plant's turning basin early in the 20th Century.

During WWI, Ford built the God-awful Eagle-class sub chasers for the US Navy and used the widened Rouge and canals back East to get them eventually to the East Coast. There's still a historical note to that time: a short connector leading to the Rouge plant has the street name--Eagle.

The Rouge plant built farm tractors for almost a decade before any autos were built there--the 1928 Model A.

Pam

Post Number: 830
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the link Asburypark posted there was a pic of a bunch of trailers. What facility is this? I think we passed it on the way to Holy Cross last weekend.

Cman710

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think this was posted yet. It's a link to some photos of the Delray Interlocking Tower.

http://www.michiganrailroads.c om/RRHX/Stations/CountyStation s/WayneStations/DetroitTermina l/DelrayMI.htm

The same building, I think:
http://members.aol.com/jsundin357/delray.html

(Message edited by cman710 on January 12, 2007)

Cman710

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This site also has some Delray pictures that I do not think have been posted. I am not sure how old they are.

http://www.insidesouthwest.com /delray.htm

Busterwmu

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is some good information and photos at this link as well about Delray Interlocking Tower.

http://groups.msn.com/chessiec hapter/chessiestower.msnw

Milwaukee

Post Number: 635
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any news about the new bridge?

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 590
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The history of Delray Beach FL as told by Artistic sounds familiar to me as the same history related to me by Frank Varga, son of Ferenc Varga, of the Varga Sculpturing Studio of Delray Beach.

http://www.varga-art.com/

My grandparents, now deceased, migrated to Delray Bch. in '48 from Muskegon along with my aunt and uncle who also settled there and raised their four girls there. My parents have had a couple of homes there since the early '70's, the current one my grandparent's former. My sister last year purchased a very funky 3-unit vacation rental just adjacent to the Briny Breezes trailor park town, very nearby, that I gave a complete cosmetic makeover last winter. I now divide my time betwixt here and there.

I believe that Ferenc Varga sr. was amongst the mid-wave, skilled labor Hungarian migration settling in or nearby Delray.

My childhood family friend from Delray Beach, a remodeling contractor, mentioned that he'd done a lot of remodeling work for a "Frank Varga from Detroit" when I told him that I had started serious, abstract-figurative, reductive sculpturing in hardwoods about 10 years ago. That sort of struck a distant bell to me but surely resonates loudly amongst Detroit art historians.

Farrer....... currently taking stone sculpturing classes at Varga Sculpturing Studio.

Mary_l
Username: Mary_l

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I'm new here to the forum. I have lived in Delray for 45 years and I am still here; alive and kicking. I went to school at Holy Cross on south st. and still go to the church. Yes this is a run down, dirty place. But to some of us, it's home. My family has roots here since 1900. I can understand how "outsiders" would see this place as a sh_t hole. I would probably see it the same way if I lived in another part of the city. I am not putting down anyone for their remarks. I just want to make conversation with you all. My fathers parents came here from Hungary when Delray was nothing but open land. They came here with other families. They were brought here by a priest who, with the others, build Holy Cross church. They built the homes in the shadow of the church and raised their families proud and Christian. Many things have happened to this place because of businesses moving out to malls and families leaving to go where the work was. The city played a "big" part in it's demise also. They neglected us and left us to die. This area is prime property and many companies have wanted to buy us out without success. Now the Cordino Group wants to build a new bridge to Canada around by Livernois and Jefferson. That bridge will take out more than half of Delray. They, the Cordino Group, say they want to turn the remaining area of Delray into a miniature of Wyandotte. I have been going to the meetings for over two years now. The drilling for the pillars is taking place now. My area is the area that will be left so we will see if they are going to do what they have promised. I belong to a group of hopeful souls called The Delray Community Council. Mary L

Mary_l
Username: Mary_l

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, We also have a web site www.delraycommunitycouncil.com come visit us! Mary L.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary L, welcome to the Forum. I admire your pride and your involvement in your community, Delray.

Cman710

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, Mary! I am very glad that you came here and posted on the forum. I do hope that you will return and offer us your perspective.

I greatly, greatly admire that you have stayed in your neighborhood, and that you are doing what you can to save the neighborhood, or at least what is left of it. The Holy Cross Church that you and your ancestors have built and sustained looks truly beautiful.

Could you give us more of an update on the bridge situation? From what you said, it seems like building is going forward.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4772
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum Mary.
In the 1960s, jjaba worked at Kemeney Rec. Ctr. Pool on W. Fort St. It was quite new then. Is it still there, still open in summers??

jjaba, Proudly Westsider.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The drilling is right where Mary stated. There are signs all over the area by Ft. Wayne that point to the DRIC Drilling site.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is my understanding that the DRIC drillings are just test borings to check for environmental and foundation issues.

Ulcovid
Username: Ulcovid

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have old marble bag THE WAYNE SOAP COMPANY
is this the same soap co in delray
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:46 pm:
marble bag

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3367
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

Angela
Username: Angela

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it's okay to drag an older thread back into the light, but I wondered if anyone who might have lived in Delray knew what this building, now demolished, located at the corner of Cottrell and Erie a block from the fire station on West Jefferson had been. http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3642/3330001136_b489662729_o. jpg

Just curious about it. :-)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In an old directory it has a double entry:

Delray Presbyterian Community House, Detroit Board of Health (Cottrell Center).

Angela
Username: Angela

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Mike! :D I've been wondering about that building for years. One of my flickr peeps thought it may have been a community center or something associated with a church. I know the only nearby church in the immediate area now is a smallish one across Cottrell from where it stood.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: