Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo - Where is this? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

Some of you may recognize my name. In brief, I have a collection of over 10,000 photographic images. About 75% are from Detroit. I have spent over 3 years trying to identify all of the images but some remain unidentified. I hope that will be allowed to post various images and ask for your assistance in identifying them. Without further a-do, here is the first image:

Where Is This?

A larger version can be seen here:

http://www.geocities.com/ookpikblogz/detpic5.jpg

Thanx!

Ookpik

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4377
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even with the larger pic, I'm trying to make out what restaraunt that is in the distance. The Morley Drug sign is relatively generic. Grrrr... I wish I could help out more but none of the landmarks look familiar enough with me.

It does look a little like downtown Farmington though but that's a wild guess at best.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayberry?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that Municipal Parking Lot sign from somewhere

I *think* it's Main St. in Royal Oak

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second smogboy, it does look vaguely like downtown Farmington.

Then again Farmington is pretty generic in itself.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing Ferndale. Any chance you can zoom in on the restaurant sign?

James

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

judging by the shadow, it looks like a east-west street

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The streetlight design might help. The fact that the municipal parking lot is off an intersection with a street light might help. The unique silhouettes of the southern storefront façades might help.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like no trees on the north side of the street, but there might be a tree or two on the south side. Traffic light intersection and a fireplug on the NW corner. Still should be that way today, but that's also generic.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 24, 2007)

Lilpup

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My other guess was Nine Mile in Ferndale but I can't recall there ever being a theater on Nine Mile and that street isn't wide enough to be Woodward

Ookpik

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enlarged the photo. You can read the restaurant sign but I can't quite figure out what its says. It looks like "Berouts" or "Berodts" or ? There is a movie theater beyond the restaurant. Thanks to all that have replied. I'm guessing the one thing that we can conclude is that this is not Detroit?

Here is an enlarged view of the photo:

http://www.geocities.com/ookpi kblogz/detpic5b.jpg

Ookpik

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking Michigan and Schaefer looking westbound.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2239
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncle John ran the newspaper/magazine stand on Michigan and Schaefer up until around 1950, so I would definitely recognize that corner. If Mich-Sch., it could be that stretch between Neckel and Maple (~137xx Michigan). Neckel is the street/alley leading to the Kroger's on Schaefer and the city parking lot.

But Mich-Schaefer is a good possibility for now. A city directory from the late 1950s would come in handy...

BTW, the website for the enlargement is unusable due to excessive usage on its account...

A theater would seem to rule out this location, though as I don't remember one being there when I lived in Dearborn during the summer of 1958.

Also, there is a jog in Maple Street at Michigan where the traffic signals are. Therefore, that might explain why the traffic lights are oriented the way they are.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 24, 2007)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it was Farmington, wouldn't the light be much closer to the theatre and on the other side? The houses behind the Marathon don't look right for Farmington either.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummeroni with cheese:
quote:

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.

Must be a popular contest! :-)

Lilpup

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

piece of 1st Federal Savings __land sign on the left edge

street sign is just above the old man if you have a greater resolution image

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup... I was thinking the same thing!

James

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 566
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say Royal Oak to be honest.. before woodward was moved..

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where might your collection of Detroit photos be viewed?

Ookpik

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The collection has yet to be digitized, however, a few of the pictures appear here: http://ookpiksnegz.blogspot.co m/ and also here: http://vintagemichigan.blogspo t.com/

Ookpik

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2967
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik, I love your site. Don't know if you caught it, but I identified a couple of those negatives back in July; one as the foot of 1st Avenue, and the following one as Madonna College.

In this one I can see a railroad crossing and a Marathon station in the background. I'm working on it...

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just a guess, but it looks kinda like 12 mile in Berkely

Ookpik

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mike!

I just read your comments yesterday! Thanks so much for identifying the photos!

Ookpik

Lilpup

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiorted was/is there a municipal parking lot north of Twelve Mile? I vaguely remember right behind the theater or was that just off alley parking?

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is/was a theatre on Schaeffer north of Michigan, on the NE corner. However, that would mean the building she's standing next to would be made in terra cotta, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3486
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it be Rochester? The street is wide enough to be Rochester Rd. And they also have off street Municipal lots.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 489
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ookpik,

I can tell you that it's definitely not Center Line ;-) but that doesn't narrow it down very much, does it? All I can do is offer some observations and educated guesses.

Lilpup wrote, "piece of 1st Federal Savings __land sign on the left edge" Seems to me I remember when the ones in Oakland County were called "1st Federal Savings Oakland".

Notice also how the area near the Marathon gas station and railroad crossing appears to be lower in elevation than the areas in the distance, which suggests to me that the road crosses a river near the railroad.

Based on the bare trees in the distance, the ~45 deg. elevation angle of the sun and the NOAA Solar Position Calculator, this photo was most likely taken along a north-south street at about 2 or 3 PM in late March or early April.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looking down the street, is that a movie marquis beneath the horizon of the "restaurant" sign?

if so, that would have to be a clue!

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rochester seems like a good bet, but I feel like I'd recognize at least one of those buildings if it were. A crazy guess but maybe Grand River and Greenfield? Utica?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4379
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like a three lane road with parking on both sides of the street. Now granted this is an old photo, but I think it might be too tiny for Grand River & Greenfield and too big for Utica's downtown.

The mystery deepens!

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg,
"The Position Calculator" looks to be one fine tool, But I'm not sure it's set correct.
At that time of day the Child should of been in school, Unless it's the weekend.
But then I was wondering how could he (the Child) keep his Pants and Shoes so clean that late into a weekend day? I never could.

I also would think that the lady would be holding some Bags from shopping, But I dont think she's made any purchases yet? except maybe Breakfast back down the street.

And The Gentleman behind them seems to be waiting to buy some Prescriptions or Liquor, But can't seem to get in just yet?

Other then I'm Sure the light is Green, The rest is just speculation on my part, Sorry it is of no help in the location of the area.

That Pic and the others posted on the site above are fun to look at, Hope to see more!
Just having Fun, It's late. Rag

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is Rochester. Looking north just south of 4th and Rochester, standing in front of Mitzelfeld's. The building just across the side street look like the Masonic Lodge.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 934
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not Farmington and it's not Grandriver-Greenfield. I was thinking Rochester, I'd agree with toolbox. I'll look up the movie theatre in the Andrew Craig Morrison book tonight.

Toolbox

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Low building with Bar sign is Mr. B's, going south is/was Baskin Bobbins, Symar lock and Key, Heller's Jewelers, Bank, and out of picture is the tux shop and then the 5 and dime now Andiamo.

Pack, there were 3 theaters in downtown Rochester. Two on the east side and 1 on the west. The one on the west side was gone by the time that picture was taken. The building that the Varsity Shop was in was a theater.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

toolbox is right - that theater is the hills theater on main. if you look at the picture here

http://waterwinterwonderland.c om/location.asp?ID=1128&type=5

then compare it to the large version of the pic, you can just make out the HILLS sign on top of the marquee, behind the restaurant sign.

nice challenge, i look forward to more of these. :-)

(Message edited by scottr on January 25, 2007)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, in the half hour or so i was trying to figure that out, toolbox filled that in with all kinds of details. good job!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5445
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That could be Downtown Wayne, MI.

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth Road-Detroit

Jeanofarc
Username: Jeanofarc

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was Morley drugstore in downtown Rochester.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to give you a list of morley's to narrow down the search, try the burton historical collection in the main branch of the dpl. the keep copies of phone books since the invention of the phone. this could at least give you a starting point, then you could weed out the improbable ones...

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That road does appear a bit hilly...further
down. The facade looks familiar on left...at least the style..multi-level or cantilever?Not sure of term.
The road is not angled parking so not completely sold on Rochester...Big house on street right after commercial buildings on left...these trivia pictures ruin me. Is it conclusively Rochester?

Mikeg

Post Number: 490
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From all of the presented evidence, it's definitely downtown Rochester. The photographer was standing on the east side of Main St. (Rochester Rd.), just south of 4th St. and aiming north. On the enlargement (not currently available) just behind/below the restaurant sign, you can make out the word "Hills" on the theater marquee. The railroad crossing in the distance used to be located about 200 ft. south of the Main St. bridge over the Paint Creek.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Mike G is correct. These three buildings can be seen on the opposite side of the street in the original photo just above the first parked car. They stick out prominently among the other buildings and the staggered brickwork is identical.

ps - Gistok was the first to get it.

(Message edited by gsgeorge on January 25, 2007)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just about where was that railroad bed? Along or near Water Street? The redevelopment seems so total near there. Where did that track originally go?

Toolbox

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The railbed is still there on the west side of Rochester Road, it is called the Paint Creek Trail. On the east side find the Depot and the Rochester Elevator and follow it towards Bloomer park. From there it follows the barge canal to meet up to the Clinton River Trail. Most of the railbed near Bloomer and the old Parke Davis property has eroded into the river.

The Wheel Truing Brake Shoe Company is right across the river from the trail.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before, on GoogleEarth, I followed what seemingly was the former railbed and it had this narrow trail appearance, heading NW or so, assuming I was on the right track.

But I'm still confused. If that railroad crossing by the Marathon station was, reportedly, north in the photo, how come the railroad bed seems to be between Mill and South Streets--south of the photo site? Was there another railroad crossing at grade? Or was the photographer facing south when taking that picture?

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 25, 2007)

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn. Yuz guys are good.

Mikeg

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L'yard
Here is a topo map showing both railroad lines. The crossing signal visible in the photo is for the line that ran northwesterly on the north side of town along the Paint Creek.

Downtown Rochester topographic map.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3487
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do I win a prize? What's that... a $1000 gift certificate at Mitzelfeld's? :-(

... also redeemable at Jacobson's and Crowley's... :-(

(Message edited by Gistok on January 25, 2007)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2246
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great! The northerly rail bed is about where it should be expected to have been due to the orientation of the industry SE of its crossing with Main Street, near Water Street.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Thread, and I second the 'you guys are good' comment.

Ookpik

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good? You guys (and gals?) are great! I fixed the link for the enlarged photo. It can be found here:
http://www.geocities.com/engin ebarn/detpic5b.jpg

Thanks for all your efforts in identifying the photo!

Ookpik

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photo was taken in 1963 or 1964. The Buick at the curb has a 1962 Michigan base plate with either a '63 or '64 validation tab. Both years tabs were dark (green in 63, brown in 64), so I can't tell which. 1965 saw a new plate issued.

Toolbox

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

LY

Before, on GoogleEarth, I followed what seemingly was the former railbed and it had this narrow trail appearance, heading NW or so, assuming I was on the right track.

But I'm still confused. If that railroad crossing by the Marathon station was, reportedly, north in the photo, how come the railroad bed seems to be between Mill and South Streets--south of the photo site? Was there another railroad crossing at grade? Or was the photographer facing south when taking that picture?

The rail south of of town was at grade in the valley along the Clinton River and the north rail was at grade with the Paint Creek. The meet where the waters meet east of the south end of town. The south rail included a railyard on the west side of Rochester Road.

Check this PDF From CULMA for a good areial of the area.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The south rail was already under the viaduct by 1967. That's a similar setup to where I lived in WI, where an expensive highway bridge was placed over Allen Creek and a CNW railroad track and maybe five to ten houses nearby in Evansville, which used to be at grade. By 1967, it appeared that all of Rochester's rail crossings had bridges and AFAI can tell none were still at grade anymore. Also the former yard on the south was also gone--just a single track ROW.

It seems that railroad rationalization occurred fairly early in Rochester, perhaps, fifteen years earlier than most places.

Digitaldom

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep I had to look at it again.. and yep it's rochester alright.. some of those buildings still exist today.. yeah until someone said rochester I didn't make the connection.. WOW.. good job guys!

Digitaldom

Post Number: 568
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is a night photo.. but look at the outline of the buildings.. this is bit father down the street though...

Downtown Rochester

Toolbox

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

LY
By 1967, it appeared that all of Rochester's rail crossings had bridges and AFAI can tell none were still at grade anymore. Also the former yard on the south was also gone--just a single track ROW.

The north rail was at grade till removal. The south rail was at grade with 1st Street and Mill Street in the valley. The south yard had about 8 tracks to it till the mid 80's.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looked on Google Earth that there might have been a lead to something near the building with the broadcasting tower SE of Rochester. What broadcaster is that? And was there some rail drop there at one time? It appeared that there might have been some kind of small RR bridge there too--probably a marsh near the river?