Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo IV - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where Is This?

A larger view:

http://www.geocities.com/enginebarn/detpic6.jpg

Thanx again to everyone helping to identify the photos!

Ookpik

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cass park?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 879
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eton Park, or its long gone twin?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4790
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Park, a block from Cass Tech. High School.

jjaba, next slide please.

Ookpik

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx Jjaba!

Do you happen to know anything about the small building that looks like a castle on the left side of the photo?

Ookpik

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, that couldn't be you in your high school fedora is it? No ,couldn't be, that guy is carrying text books and you hauled round an old printing press.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4793
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bldgs. are Kresges, Detroit Defender, Masonic Temple, and a Schwinn. The guy in fedora is Rock looking for down and outer clients with legal problems.

jjaba, walked those mean streets.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting photos.

Based on the clothing does anyone have a guess as to what year this picture was taken?

(Message edited by rjk on January 29, 2007)

Ookpik

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the photo is from 1939.

Ookpik

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2986
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So are we facing north or east?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The subjects in the photo are facing south.

Mikem

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So we are looking up 2nd Ave? What is the small building on the left? And that is the Ansonia behind the bike rider?

The_rock

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, IF we are looking North ( from the photographer's eyes, and the subjects in the photo are looking South, and IF the park "splits" 2nd Avenue, I guess I just don't see how jjaba says we are looking at "Kresge's, Public Defender and Masonic Temple." I do recognize a Schwinn mens' bike.
I am no authority on this part of the City, much less the west side, but I thought the old Kresge Building was on the WEST side of the Park facing East, and,again assuming the two kids in the photo are "facing South", the photo seemingly shows buildings that are behind them on the North side of the Park thus also facing South.
And I have been to the Masonic Temple for concerts for a good 55 years, and I just don't see Masonic Temple in the photograph. Then, maybe I am blind.
So, pardon my ignorance, but I need a furthur explanation from someone.
Maybe jjaba, the learned one, is describing buildings that once graced the boundaries of the Park, rather than those buildings that are shown in the photograph. That's reasonable, he still has the venue correct. I thus await responses from you learned historians.

Mikem

Post Number: 2991
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You sure it's not Wayne State area?

Jjaba

Post Number: 4796
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba can't really defend the location. It's a hunch. It might be another spot.

jjaba.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3625
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The jury is still out on this one. Definitely not Cass Park. And if it were, it would be the Chronicle, not the Defender.

Ookpik

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to images of the buildings around Cass Park. Unfortunately, the pictures are quite small and do not enlarge due to the links being broken.

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/C ass%20Park.htm

As an aside, my Dad said the small castle-like building on the left has something to do with "pianos" but he could not remember/identify anything else.

Ookpik

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally hearing the words "castle" and "pianos" brings to mind the old Smiley Brothers/Hecker Mansion on Woodward and Ferry, but I can't be certain because the photo is a bit on the dark side and I can't see the details very well. Too bad, because I would have guessed the Park Shelton right behind it. But I can't reconcile the scenery on the right side of the photo as anything familiar; that building seems taller than the Beecher House opposite the Hecker Mansion across Woodward. If it were that location, I would guess the photographer is standing near Palmer and Woodward. But then somebody has already stated that the subjects are facing south, so that negates all of the above. I'll be interested in how this turns out!!!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many small parks had those pedestrian "turnabouts?" That should narrow it down somewhat if not all did.

Ookpik

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rescanned the negative and made it larger. You can view it here:

http://www.geocities.com/enginebarn/detpic6b.jpg

Also, in examining the negative, I found that the negative was number 41 on the roll and negative number 40 was still attatched! Here is negative number 40:

DetPic6C

Looks like an old fashioned beat-down! The building in the back appears to be the Masonic Temple.

Here is a larger view of negative 40:

http://www.geocities.com/enginebarn/detpic6d.jpg

Hopefully, this new information will allow the first photo (negative 41) to be identified.

Ookpik

Jjaba

Post Number: 4800
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's Masonic Temple, maybe jjaba had it right at Cass Park. Looking south, one of the bldgs. would be Cass Tech HS. jjaba damn sure better be able to identify it, he graduated so-sue-me, 1959.

jjaba, Westsider.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4801
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass. Tech, HS of Commerce, Tanner Storage, Kresges, Detroit Chronicle, and Donavon Bldg. are nearby.

jjaba.

Mikem

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Step 1: Go to the 1949 aerial photos. With the students in the photo, I would have guessed it was the Wayne State area, but when jjaba mentioned Cass Park, I had to take a look from the air. So much has been lost in the area that current aerial photos aren't much help. On a hunch, I thought that possibly we were looking south, so I grabbed an aerial photo and flipped it so that south is at the top:

Cass Park 1949

Right away I noticed these buildings: At the blue arrow, what looks like an old home; yellow, what appears to be a tall apartment or hotel building; red, what looks like a shorter apartment building with two strips of bay windows; and at the green arrow, a long, multi-story warehouse or factory building.

Step 2: Check the original details.

Original left

Tall building behind the old home, and...

Original right

...an apartment building with bay windows, possibly set back from Ledyard Street, and a three-story warehouse/industrial building.

Step 3: Head to the the Virtual Motor City. A search on "Cass" Park led to this aerial photo taken in 1956:

Cass from the air

The corner with the old home (2nd & Ledyard) is empty but the building in the bottom right corner caught my eye:

An earlier photo from 1950 turned up as well, this time looking north with the old home in the photo, fenced off and ready to be torn down:

Cass Park looking north

Step 4: Search for "2nd" or "Second". One of those led to this photo of the Voigt residence:

Voigt home on 2nd and Henry

Note the tall building in the background.

Step 5: Search for "Ledyard". This led to the following photo, a picture of a DSR parking lot from 1939, labeled as being at the corner of 2nd & Ledyard (sw corner). In the background appears to be the 3-story warehouse.

SW corner Ledyard & 2nd

I'm betting that you are looking south down 2nd from Cass Park.

(Message edited by MikeM on January 30, 2007)

(Message edited by MikeM on January 30, 2007)

Mikem

Post Number: 2996
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, the tall building on the left was the Marlborough Hotel, 2537 Second Boulevard. The apartment building across the street on the right was the Jackson Apartments, 2548 Second. The warehouse is a Detroit Edison Garage, 643 Ledyard.

Ookpik

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WoW! Looks like you nailed it Mike! Thanx! The Voigt residence - was that Voigt as in Voigt Beer?

Ookpik

(Message edited by ookpik on January 30, 2007)

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outstanding work MikeM !

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to the efforts of others, this photo is easily identifiable.

It's Cass Park, looking South. The large building in the left background of the photo is the Salvation Army Evangeline Home (it has almost birdlike markings - 3 horizontal white stripes just below the windows of the penultimate floor). The large bulk in the right background is actually 2 buildings: Cass Tech, and in front of Cass Tech, an apartment building with vertical rows of bay windows. Could this be the Marlborough Hotel? With an odd-numbered address (2537), it would have to be on the west side of Second.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, MikeM!!! Incredible research!!! And thanks for the photo of the Voigt House.

Pretty likely that it is all the same Voigt family noted for their Beer and for their legacy Voigt Park in the Boston-Edison Historic District. Read all about them: http://www.geocities.com/histm ich/voigt.html

I'm sure someone will chime in with the name of the Voigt who actually lived in this house!

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM, I am immensely impressed by your research. Thanks for sharing your sources and methods as well as the pics you found. Great work!!

Mikem

Post Number: 2997
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McCarch, you are correct. I double-checked my sources and The Evangeline Home was at 2530 Second, the Jackson Apartments (small building next to the Evangeline in the aerial of Cass Park) was at 2548 Second, and the Marlborough Hotel must be the one with the bay windows, at 2537 Second.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edward Voigt was the owner of a Detroit brewery founded by his father Carl. Edward was a

quote:

"property owner in the city including property on Second Blvd and Cass Park and his home, which was completed in 1886. This fine mansion was built with every detail of material and construction carefully considered given the evidence of the thorough manner in which work was done at that time."

(Images to follow)

Mikem

Post Number: 2998
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Burton's "History of Detroit"

Mikeg

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edward W. Voigt (photo c. 1903)

Edward W. Voigt

Mikem

Post Number: 2999
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bio from Burton:
quote:

EDWARD W. VOIGT was an outstanding figure in connection with the development of Detroit, where for more than fifty-five years he was identified with the city's business interests. Mr. Voigt was born in Daebeln, Saxony, Germany, April 5, 1844, a son of Carl William and Pauline (Beck) Voigt, the latter of whom died in Germany. The father married again in that country and with his wife and only son, Edward W., sailed from Hamburg for Liverpool, England, the latter part of May, 1854. At the latter port they embarked on the ship Malabar and reached New York on the 1st of August. An epidemic of cholera was then raging in New York and, moreover, the father was not in robust health as a result of conditions which he had experienced during the ocean voyage. It seemed better that they leave New York at once, which they did, and went to College Paint, Long Island. When the father had sufficiently recovered to travel they went west, stopping in Toledo, Chicago and Milwaukee, but remained in those cities only a short time, after which they journeyed an to Madison, Wisconsin. In the latter city Carl William Voigt established a small ale brewery, which was converted into a lager beer brewery in 1857, and this business he conducted until 1863, when he removed to Milwaukee, where he soon afterward purchased the schooner Columbian that plied the lakes between Chicago and Buffalo in the grain trade. In 1864 Carl William Voigt removed to Detroit, retaining his vessel interest until December, 1865, when he disposed of same. It was really his intention at this time to return to Germany, but rumors of the possibility of war between that country and France caused him to defer the trip. In 1866 he established a brewery in Detroit and continued to conduct this until 1871, when he leased the plant to his son, Edward W., and returned to Germany, where he engaged in the milling business until his death in that country in 1889. Edward W. Voigt was about ten years of age when his parents brought him to America. His first schooling was received in his native land and after coming to this country he attended the public schools of Madison, Wisconsin, also a business college and for one term was a student at the University of Wisconsin. He had from boyhood worked in his father's brewery at different periods and early in life had acquired a practical knowledge of the business. In those days it was impossible to brew lager beer during the summer months owing to the lack of familiarity with the theory of refrigeration, so that during those periods of inactivity Edward W. Voigt was able to attend classes. When the weather became cooler, so that the manufacture of beer could be resumed, he again took his place as a brewer in his father's plant.

After his father disposed of the brewery at Madison in the fall of 1863, Edward W. Voigt concluded he would go to California and try his fortune in that new country. He went by the Isthmus of Panama but on reaching San Francisco found that work as a brewer was difficult to secure. He could not afford to remain idle indefinitely, so shipped before the mast on the barkentine Monitor, plying between San Francisco and north Pacific coast cities. Wages were law and the work not the most desirable. In writing home to his Vol. II-3 parents he had mentioned the character of his employment and his father replied that if Edward W. Voigt wanted to be a sailor he should come back home, as the father had bought the schooner Columbian. Edward W. Voigt returned east, again by the Isthmus route, and took the position of second mate on his father's schooner. This was during the latter part of 1864. During the winter of 1864-65 Edward W. Voigt studied navigation in Boston, thus equipping himself to command his father's schooner, and during the season of 1865 he was captain of the vessel, which was sold in December, 1865.

The following year Edward W. Voigt entered the employ of his father in the brewery which the latter had established in Detroit and continued in that capacity until 1871. At this time his father decided to return to Germany, so that the brewery equipment was disposed of to the son, who rented the plant for a term of four years, later renewing the lease for five more years. This was a downright business transaction and the fact that the father and only child were the principals made no difference whatever in the terms of the deal. The son had practically no capital at all and the father was secured by chattel mortgage on the stock and equipment. This was Edward W. Voigt's beginning in business for himself and at a time when competition was keen, as there were no less than thirty plants in the ale and lager beer line in Detroit, but he was young, energetic and a hustler. Under his management the business began to grow from the very start and before long he was on the rapid road to success, so that in 1882 he purchased outright the entire interest of his father. The high class product that he turned out soon became one of the most popular in the city and the capacity of his brewery grew from three thousand barrels annually to more than forty-three thousand barrels, which was then a larger production than that of any brewery in the state. Mr. Voigt continued the business as sole owner and under his personal management until 1889, when he sold out to an English syndicate, retaining, however, a substantial interest in the new organization. In 1895 he bought back the business and organized the Voigt Brewery Company, of which he became president, and remained as such until the business was closed out on May 1, 1918, as a result of prohibition. Subsequently the plant passed into the hands of the Voigt Beverage Company, which now owns the plant.

While Mr. Voigt was a most successful brewery operator and one of the most prominent men in that industry in Detroit, his activities in other lines were big and valuable factors in the city's growth. As his business became profitable and his means began to accumulate, he invested in numerous projects that not only brought personal gain but great public benefit as well. He was one of the founders of the Edison Illuminating Company of Detroit in 1886, in which undertaking he was associated with James Scripps, George Peck, Simon J. Murphy and several others. This company had a capital of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars and for fifteen years Mr. Voigt was its vice president. It proved a profitable project from its inception and led to Mr. Voigt's further connection with various public utilities. He helped in establishing branches of the Edison Illuminating Company at Grand Rapids, Jackson, Sault Ste. Marie and Petoskey, Michigan. Mr. Voigt was formerly the owner of a tract of about one hundred and fifty acres of land on Woodward avenue four miles from the city's center that he operated as a farm for a number of years. Then as the city began to expand he developed the property into the Voigt Park subdivision, which was laid out in the '90s. In connection with that project he donated the present Voigt Park to the city. He laid out Boston and Chicago boulevards, as well as Atkinson, Edison, Longfellow and Calvert avenues and Glynn Court, comprising some of the best residential property in the city. Years ago Mr. Voigt purchased what was then known as Moores Bay, a tract of land of about fourteen acres at the foot of Twenty-fourth street, which was covered by six feet of water. This was filled in to the harbor line after nearly forty years of effort and was transformed into a valuable property. In 1919 the same was condemned by the city for dockage purposes. He was an extensive owner of central property and his city realty included his residence on Second boulevard and Cass Park, which was completed in 1886 and was his home until his death. This fine old mansion was built in the days when every detail of material and construction was most carefully considered and everywhere gives evidence of the thorough manner in which such work was done. Mr. Voigt was also one of the founders of the Port Huron Sulphite & Paper Company, which was organized in 1888 and of which he was the president until his death. In 1898-1900 he built the North Western Electric Railway out Grand River road to Northville, Orchard Lake and Pontiac, which is a great feeder now to Detroit and is controlled by the Detroit United Railway. He was likewise the president of the bridge company that built the large bridge between Grosse Ile and Wyandotte in 1912. This bridge connected his large tract of valuable land with the mainland. He was also the president of the Miles Theatre Company. He readily recognized and utilized business opportunities and as the years passed by developed his interests to extensive proportions.

In April, 1871, Mr. Voigt was married to Miss Bertha Dramburg, of Detroit, and they became the parents of four children: Augusta L. and Pauline M., both living at home; Anna Elsa, who is now Mrs. Otto Reinvaldt, of Detroit, and has three daughters; and one son, William F., who married Miss Caroline Halloran, of Detroit, by whom he has a son, Edward W. (II), and two daughters. William F. Voigt, who is the second of the family, and Otto Reinvaldt, his son in-law, were far a number of years associated with the father in business, largely looking after the Voigt interests. Mrs. Bertha (Dramburg) Voigt died in 1890 and for his second wife Mr. Voigt married in 1892 Miss Marion Randall, of Detroit, who passed away in December, 1911. There were no children by this marriage.

Years ago Henry Ford was in the employ of Mr. Voigt for a period of nine years as chief engineer of the Edison Illuminating Company. After prohibition went into effect the Voigt Brewery Company ceased to operate, but the outside interests of Mr. Voigt were extensive and important and made full claim upon his time and energy. In early manhood Mr. Voigt was a democrat, but the party's stand upon the subject of free trade made him change his allegiance to the republican party, of which he became a warm supporter. He belonged to the Harmonie Society, to the Elks lodge and to the New Grosse Ile Golf Club. Mr. Voigt was one of the original founders of the Detroit Museum of Art. His success came from his own efforts and for many years he was included among Detroit's strong, substantial business men. He was an unusually well preserved man for one of his years and took a keen interest in everything that pertained to the civic welfare and advancement of Detroit. His contributions to the development of the city were of a most substantial character, making him one of the foremost business men of Michigan's metropolis. His death occurred May 14, 1920.

Mikeg

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ad in the May 18, 1871 Michigan Volksblatt announcing the transfer of the Milwaukee Brewery to Edward Voigt from his father. Below that is a mid-1870's photo of the brewery, which was located at 203-213 Grand River, between 2nd and 3rd.

transfer

brewery

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3626
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Hail MikeM! Fantastic. I looked at the '49 CULMA aerial and when I didn't see the above beauty, I thought otherwise and was definitely wrong. I shoulda listened to jjaba's instinct.

I lived on Henry for a year and a half, managing two former large homes that had additions added to their rears and cut up into efficiency apartments, one on Henry and one behind it on on Ledyard. The latter was five units east of the above. Both can be seen in the aerial with Mike's arrows. I now remember when that background apartment was torn down in the early seventies.

I was looking east thinking at first that tall building was the Palms Hotel on Park [the on across from the Eddystone] but it didn't match my photos of it.

That whole block was a Brush Park of sorts, similarly former mansions reduced to near flop house status. Here is a flash of that former grandeur, the house/apt. I managed on Ledyard [pic from summer 2000]. It was reputed to have been the the former home of a lumber millionaire, but I never verified that.

house on Ledyard Detroit

For perspective, here is the Michigan Chronicle building to its west.

Michigan Chronicle building Detroit

Mikeg

Post Number: 523
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Voigt obviously sold plenty of Rheingold and Wurzburger to thirsty Detroiters.

beer

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Btw, the Michigan Chronicle Building is by one of this site's patron saint-architects, Charles Agree

Ookpik

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This round is on me!

beer

Ookpik

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3627
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeG. Thanks for typing up the account of Edward Voight. Was there anything he didn't do??

Henry Ford's boss, created the Grand River interurban rail line, started Detroit Edison, laid out Boston-Edison district, built the Grosse Isle Bridge, and was an original founder of the DIA. Wow.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, what a deluge of information from both MikeM and MikeG! I salute you both!

Ookpik, these threads are fascinating - Not only from your pictures, but from the information that follows. Not to mention the fun in just figuring out what it is. Thanks!

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mi-brew.com/Default.htm

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2298
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Henry Ford's boss, created the Grand River interurban rail line, started Detroit Edison, laid out Boston-Edison district, built the Grosse Isle Bridge, and was an original founder of the DIA. Wow.

And still, probably much less than a thousand (being very generous here) living Detroiters know this. How sad...

Jjaba

Post Number: 4805
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for so many wonderful posts about jjaba's old neighborhood. It was like an old photograph that jjaba remembered Cass Park.

The last time he walked around there was 1959.
Thanks for all the confirmations. Wow.

jjaba, Cass Tech. Printer, 1959.

The_rock

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta admit that kudos are in order for Mikem, but then let's not forget that old-timer from the West side who appears to be the first to have identified the photo on Jan.29 as a rendering from Cass Park. Buildings out of order, but the Park was correct.
What's his name? java, jawa, something like that.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jawbreaker, or something like that. You can catch him roller skating down Ewald Circle, or riding the Dexter bus.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3632
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumor is that jjaba will be forsaking the Dexter bus and riding his bike on Lodge expressway down to Cass Tech while it is shut down for repairs this summer.

The_rock

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba-that's it---jjaba. Right you are Lowell. Those rich Jewish kids all rode their fancy Schwinn bikes to school whereas the goy pedaled either a J.C. Higgins or a Western Auto product.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4809
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock should know that Jews have to carry violin, cello, or bass to private lessons after school. Riding a bike might be possible to Torah and Bar Mitzvah lessons, but not for music.

jjaba didn't have a Schwinn, he peddled his paper route on some no-name hand-me-down. What IS known, jjaba never sold papers in Grosse Pointe where newsboys had Cedric drive them around.

jjaba, Cass Park lurker, saw Judy Garland and Leonard Bernstein at Masonic Temple FYI.