Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » St. Matthew « Previous Next »
St. Matthew - 1Harpernottingham95 09-19-07  8:35 pm
Archive through April 12, 2007Tammypio64 04-12-07  11:08 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for the record, Miss Sinacori never taught second grade at St. Matt's. She did teach first grade for a bit. Of that, I'm certain. I bet Carm's sister is thinking of Ms. Zmurkievicz. I hear she was a real tough cookie.

Miss Sinacori was awesome. Her first name, now that I think of it, is Geri.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in her first grade class....1981 !

Did you just read this whole thread ?? I may have said that closer to the top.

I just drove by St.Matts and it still looks lovely as ever.

Marauder
Username: Marauder

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave,
I was in your class...your posts have brought back some good memories. Thanks!

Jon Reischel '83

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We never did get those shirts done, did we?
Dave?

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I can say is that this St. Matthew's must be some church! I'm at an airport out East and I hear people at the gate talking about St. Matthew in Detroit and what a great school it was.
My question: Anybody have memories of some of the older schools, i.e. Servite, St. Rose of Lima, St. Monica?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu,

I've got a call in to Harper Sport. They are checking to see if they still have the old stuff. He should be calling back soon hopefully.

Chalu64

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're going to have shirts, we're going to have Marauder shirts!

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it was first grade. My sister is going to be 30 soon, so it has been awhile since she started school. When she was held back she had Ms. Zmurkievicz. I believe she had a much better time in school the second time around. Now we have to plan on that St. Matt's reunion. If only we could get into the school.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When can we get them ??? Sooooo excited !!!!!! Carm we have to get into the school... I am only friends with one person from st matts. but im sure she would love a little reunion !

Chalu64

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We either need to plan an ALL-School reunion or break it down. Back in 92, we did the graduating years of 77,78 and 79 at the Garden Bowl. It was a huge hit.
St. Raymonds does a whole school reunion out at Freedom Hill every year.

Carm

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spoke to my sister this morning and she said that she had Ms.Senacori in second grade and Ms. Zmurkievicz when she was held back. She also said that there were 5 other students that were held back from that class that year, and she didn't think Ms. Senacori taught second grade again.

Tarkus

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: Harper Sport called back today. They are still looking for the graphics. They think they have them in a box from when they moved. If anyone has one, Harper is ready to make up shirts and hats.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tark keep us updated thanks !

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Jon Reischel ... alive and well!

You were a heck of a baseball player, and as smart as anybody. I still remember you saving your brown paper bag in your back pocket every day after lunch. You were conserving and recycling long before I knew what the heck it meant.

Blue shirt, blue pants.
Whatever happened to Tyrus McCants?

Marauder
Username: Marauder

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's Tyrus "Magic Movin'" McCants if I remember correctly.

Tarkus

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: Harper Sport no longer has any logos. Keep looking in your closets and basements. All they need is one to remake the pattern.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for sure know I dont have one. Anybody ??????
Do you think there some in the archives somewhere ...like in the school or rectorary or church ?

Chalu64

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe my mom has a football trophy with one on it. I could possibly scan it and clean it up for reproduction.

Darn Harper Sport. I guess i'm not buying my son's hockey skates there.... ; )
What was that sports shop in Warren I think on Schoenherr that St.Matts did business with, also? Or how about the Zaineas? I wonder if they would have anything at Garden Bowl?

47to86
Username: 47to86

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy to report that we have a couple of mugs with the marauder logo on them. These blue plastic mugs are only about 6" high and the marauder picture is probably about 1 1/2" square. It is white against the blue background of the mug.

Scanning a round object is problematical at best, but I'll try. Might also try photographing it.

To clear up a couple of questions about the logo:
1. Patch on left eye.
2. Knife in mouth
3. Handlebar mustache.
4. Skull and crossbones on front of hat.

I just happened on this forum tonight. We might have some other stuff with the logo, but I have to rummage through my son's stored stuff in the garage loft.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

47to86- awesome !

Chalu64

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

47to86: Want to sell any of that stuff? ; )

47to86
Username: 47to86

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the maruader. This pic is obviously reduced in both size and quality to fit posting requirements. The original is about 6" x 6" at 300 dpi. It could probably stand an enlargement to 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 without much problem.
There is also another shot with the words "St. Matthew School" running over the marauder logo and then the word "marauders" under it. I'll try to do that one later tonight.

marauder

Carm

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I think about it, the Marauder is not really the best choice for a catholic elementry school logo. But it is nice to see him once again. Thanks.

Tarkus

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats it. And welcome to the forum.

(Message edited by tarkus on June 08, 2007)

Tarkus

Post Number: 342
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any news?

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody have information on St. Brendan's church on Beaconsfield? It didn't last long-built l954 and now closed. I imagine that many of the parishioners were city of Detroit employees who left when the residency rule was cancelled.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brendan's closed last June along with Guardian Angels which was nearby. You are correct about the residency rule which killed many parishes in the last 10 years both in the city and the inner ring suburbs.

Here are some shots of Brendan's in April of 2006:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457124623&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457124659&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457215098&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457215094&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457124711&size=l

And some taken in May of this year before a neighborhood resident swore at me to leave the premises:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=739274326&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=739275042&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=739274430&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=739275268&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=739312948&size=l

Tarkus

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Tarkus

Post Number: 376
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T-shirts are now available for St. Matts.
Ideal Graphics in SCS will do the shirts.
They are located at 20709 9 Mile.
9 and Harper across 9 mile from the K-Mart, next to Linda's Coney Island. I bought mine for $20. After 8 orders the price will go down Chris the owner told me.
Call Chris at 586-552-4243 or email at chris@myidealgraphics.com

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Matthew people!

The beautiful dome in the church was completely restored because of some water damage back in February. It looks absolutely amazing. There will be a rededication with Bishop Quinn on Sunday, September 21 at 10 AM with a wine and cheese reception afterwards.

FYI

Tarkus

Post Number: 587
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Marauders, there is a St. Matts page on Facebook. St. Matthews Detroit

Kensingtony
Username: Kensingtony

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a bit older than some of you fellow St.Matthew grads.I went there for the 3rd through 8th grades(September 1962 to June 1968)so things were a bit different then.We had mostly nuns for teachers,the classes had 40 to 50 kids in each room(!)and we were forced to attend mass 5 mornings a week right after attendance was taken.There were four priests (Frs.Lentini,Lucken,Moloney,an d Zeeb)plus Bishop Donnely to minister the flock.Father Moloney hated the morning Mass duty and always tried to speed through the proceedings.I recall his record being 28 minutes.All the other priests took their time and woe be us if the Bishop did the Mass.He dragged things out and spoke so softly that he soon had a church full of restless youngsters.We couldn't wait to get out of there.
Three of the most memorable nun teachers we had were Sister Caritas,Sister Devota,and Sister Silverius.Sister Caritas taught 5th grade and to this day I think she had gone 'round the bend years before.One day she raised a commotion in the classroom so nasty that Mother Audrey,the principal,had to send her back to the nun's residence for the balance of the day.Sister Devota was another piece of work.She never gave out homework(yay!)but she was mean and cranky and had a tendency to hit students-more than any other teacher did.Sister Silverius was the assistant principal and taught 7th and 8th grade classes.We used to call her Sister Traw or Sister Sliverpuss because she used to sit at her lecturn and pick at a mole on her cheek(hard enough to cause bleeding) while conducting class.
In seventh grade we had a young nun for one of the teachers.Strangely,I don't remember her religious name but I do remember her real name-Terry(or Teresa)Koernke.Odd that it's stuck with me all these years.
Anyone else out there from my era at St.Matthews?

(Message edited by Kensingtony on September 24, 2008)

Billwendymyers
Username: Billwendymyers

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kensingtony,

I atttended St Matthews 1-8th grade graduating June 1968. So we must have been classmates during your time there. I'm assuming you grew up on Kensington. I grew up on Yorkshire. email me at billwendymyers@charter.net
Bill Myers

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: