Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo V - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pic

I know virtually nothing about this photo. I am not sure that it is even Detroit. The only thing I do know is that it is not older than 1949.

A larger view:

http://www.geocities.com/enginebarn/detpic10a.jpg

Ookpik

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5451
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its Detroit all right. At Jefferson Ave. looking east near Downtown Detroit.

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that big building on the right all the down appears to be the infamous Pasadena Apartments. At one time The Pasadena was Detroit's finest....the absolute finest.

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, you are close but, I believe this is east jefferson looking west from approximately the Ren Cen. The Large building just right of center on the photo I belive is the building DuMouchelle's is in. The next block is where the Millender Center is.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that would be the intersection of East Jefferson at Beaubien.

And would that be the Buhl Building in the background down the street? It doesn't look like the Guardian and there were 2-3 years (mid-1920s)between the two buildings going up.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 544
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! That is way more appealing then present day Jefferson in that area which now just a confluence of on / off ramps for I 375, Lodge Fwy and the Windsor Tunnel. I want that old layout back!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3544
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That can't be the Buhl/Guardian. It's too close to Jefferson. And besides the Buhl went up in 1926, the Guardian in 1929. By the look of the cars, it's the 1940's or 1950's.

That tall building looks like it's near where Cobo or the Ponchartrain Hotel are located today.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 548
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both the cars in the near back ground on either side of Jefferson were the new, innovative and wildly popular 1949 Ford.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 462
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jefferson looked great in this photo. Unlike today's view, designed and implemented by Car-Heads.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I googled the Fenster Co. in the background-a patent attorney in Petach Tikvah, Israel.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fenster & Co
Distinctive Furniture Manufacturers & Upholsterers
400 E Jefferson
Phone Cherry 0646

Looking west from Brush.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3002
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hotel Norton in background:

Notel Norton

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx Mike! :-)

Ookpik

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, is the Hotel Norton building still standing?

Also, what is the very tall building in the background? Since I am not from Detroit and have only visited once, my spatial sense of the city is not great.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks much, Mikem, for the pics!! They are so helpful!! I can see how far back that one block is off Jefferson!!!

Nope, Cman710, the Hotel Norton is no longer. Looks like may have stood at Jefferson and Griswold where the current Roney & Company/stock exchange building now stands or just west of that. And the tall building is the Guardian Building (did we make a stop there to see the lobby?).

(Message edited by Kathleen on January 31, 2007)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4806
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work Danny and MikeM. You were quicker than a John R St. quickie. And that's quick when you're in high school.

jjaba, Westsider.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 671
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hotel Norton was across the street from Roney & Co. Demolished to make way for One Woodward Ave.

(Message edited by eric on January 31, 2007)

(Message edited by eric on January 31, 2007)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great work, gang. Great series of threads, Ookpik! You the man!

Kathleen

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Eric, for pinpointing the Hotel Norton location. I did ponder momentarily at that spot.

Cman710

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the information, as always! We did in fact make a stop at the Guardian Building. You stayed in the car while A. and I went in briefly. It was after hours, but we were still able to see most of the lobby. Speaking of buildings, one of my Fisher Building pictures from that trip came really nice, and I am going to hang it in my office!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3635
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The picture perked up a sociological curiosity for me. The three men in the foreground all are carrying small thick notebooks[?] tucked in their armpits. Somehow they look like something one would carry swinging in their hand. Instead it has a look of 'this is how we carry them in the trade'.

Pre-brief case Detroit? Bibles on Sunday?

three men

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May need help from someone with a little earlier memory of Detroit than I can muster, but I believe that the Hotel Norton had a fine restaurant in it called "A Little Bit of Sweden". Very popular in its time.
And the photo shows Bates Luggage Shop which was a Detroit concern for many years. And is that a Kaiser or a Fraser parked in front of it with the nifty windshield hood?
Also, between Bates Luggage and the Norton Hotel, you can see a BAR sign, and I am pretty sure that was the old Shield's Bar which was popular with the lawyers a generation ahead of me. I remember when it was closed in the '50's.

Cman710

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lowell,

Great catch. I wonder about that, too. Interestingly, only the man in the middle has a suit, tie, and hat on. The other men are more casually dressed. That would lean against them being Bibles, since most men going to church at that time would have worn suits. Anyone have any ideas?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I scanned a beautiful matchbook cover of the Norton Hotel, along with the A Bit Of Sweden Smorgasbord obverse cover. However, i cant post because of an error: must be 550x550.Pleeeeease help!Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!john_doe395@hotmail.com

Jjaba

Post Number: 4816
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet, welcome to The Forum.

jjaba on the Westside.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here we go...
matchbook_cover

matchbook_cover_2
thanks for the warm welcome, and all the help. i feel right at home here, and why wouldnt i?

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on February 03, 2007)

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on February 03, 2007)

Jjaba

Post Number: 4825
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice ads Bullet. Thanks.

jjaba.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, a Bit of Sweden! There it is. Thanks, Bullet.I can almost smell the wonderful aroma of Kottbullar from here.