Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo VI - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the pix. I've learned so much from the resulting threads. Thanx for your comments, compliments, memories, identifications and pictures! :-)

detpic

No clue on this pic. Not sure if anything is identifiable as the main focus was some guy leaning out the window!

A larger view:

http://www.geocities.com/detpix/detpic11a.jpg

Ookpik

(Message edited by ookpik on February 01, 2007)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 985
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

as the main focus was some guy leaning out the window!

Let's get an ID on the guy too. Is that anybody's grandpa? :-)

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I like about this series of photos is that there are (interesting) people in the photos! When I take a photo of a building, I usually don't want people in the photo; I'm thinking now that that's a mistake.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that the Fox, upper right?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its the building a few blocks behind the Fox that once served as some sort of movie reel storage facility or something like that. It still stands but is abandoned.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that watertower-looking thing in the background reminds me of trappers alley but then again it seems to be too high to be that...

ookpik...i got a question. where did you get all these images from and why are you asking on the forum for people to identify them?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3005
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with E_Hemingway. I think you're looking east out of a window at Cass Tech toward that building at Cass at Montcalm. Note the similarity of the windows/doors on the utility shed on the top:

?

Mikem

Post Number: 3006
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Film Exchange Building
2310 Cass Ave

the view

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are those cars parking in the middle of the street?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, they are Dolphins in the middle of the street

Mikem

Post Number: 3007
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some streets did have parking in the middle, but I think the camera caught two cars driving north on Second, just as they are passing through the intersection.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys really are amazing! Great job Mikem!

Mikem

Post Number: 3008
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't thank me, thank Hemingway. I thought it was a lost cause.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4810
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The close-up shows that people are walking across the street while cars are waiting. Traffic is moving with the walkers.

MikeM, great job. Some student hung out a window up there and took his buddy in the next room.
This could very well be floor six, where jjaba went to Print Shop classes. Up there, the art dept. was next door on the Eastside of the bldg., facing the HS of Commerce, now the view would be Fisher Expy. since HS of Commerce was razed when the highway replaced W. Vernor.

Cass Tech. HS is bounded by Vernor, 2nd Blvd., Henry, and W. Grand River.

The cars on the street look like 2nd Blvd. which would mean the kid in picture was on the front facade. Yes, the photo is facing East and North.

jjaba, Class of '59.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3560
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get a chuckle every time I think about that Film Exchange Building... Back in the mid 1990's when they wanted to build the new baseball stadium behind the Fox, the owner of the Film Exchange Building immediately started upgrading the building by putting new windows into it. He obviously wanted to get as much from the condemnation of the building as he could...

But when the Lions agreed to be part of the development, the site was changed from west of Woodward to east of Woodward. And as predicted... the Film Exchange Building owner ceased renovation of his building.

The last laugh was on him! I don't know if he still owns it or not.

(Message edited by Gistok on February 01, 2007)

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I know it remains true in many places in the city, it is amazing to see how covered the land was in that area then, and how many empty lots there are now.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5464
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That white man who stick out the window. Is from a storefront apartment on Cass Ave. in Downtown Detroit on the west side of downtown near Grand River Ave. Middle St. And Adams St. next the the VFW Stone Castle building. Today most of the building are gone, now blocks of parking lots.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people are really amazing! And what a riot you all are! I am dead serious, the forum is a load of fun. I went to cass tech, and I couldn`t recognize the area if my life depended on it.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx E_Hemingway and Mike!

Valkyrias - I acquired a collection of approximately 10,000 negatives a little over 3 years ago and have spent the time since trying to identify them. Pictures of Christmas, weddings, birthdays, etc. are easy to figure out while random street scenes from decades ago are not. I have posted these pictures on various “Michigan” and “Detroit” web sites with absolutely no success. I even created several photoblogs of my own. Several people from this site miraculously found my blogs and were able to identify several pix. Thus, I figured this was the place to be! :-)

Jjaba – My Dad was at Cass Tech in ’59. Were you a High School student or a Trade School student? My Dad had already graduated high school and was there learning a trade.

Can anyone tell me how you quote from another message?

Thanx!

Ookpik

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So there are 10,000 of these coming? Ugh!

Just kidding ... prefer candid shots. Waiting for my family to show up.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6057
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy is a dead ringer for Jt1 in his younger days.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 914
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My God, I thought I was a Detroit dork, I guess I have good company and folks that out dork me!

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so...these are all pretty much random pictures then...they aren't from your family or anything? very interesting. and if they are in fact all random, much like esp, i am waiting for my family to pop up as well!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Can anyone tell me how you quote from another message?

was quoted with \quote{Can anyone tell me how you quote from another message?} .
See also https://www.atdetroit.net/cgi-bin/f oroum/discus.cgi?pg=formatting .

Thanks for all these pics, Ookpik!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4812
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba attended Cass Tech. grades 10-12, graduating in 1959 from the Printing Curriculum.
He's also an alumnus of Tappan Intermediate and Noble School.

Solid Westside roots from birth to high school.

5 yrs. of United Hebrew School on Dexter after regular school.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor on the Grand River electric feeder bus.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 337
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. You guys are amazing. Especially Mikem , who always provides strong evidence with his answers. Anxiously awaiting the next 9,994 photos.

Cosine
Username: Cosine

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik--consider donating your negatives to the Burton Historical collection at the Detroit Public Library when your done sorting them out. It is a great resource, as I'm sure most of this forum's users know.