Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo VII - Hollywood Drives Through Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pic

I’m sure someone will easily identify the location but the bigger mystery is the “Autographed Car.” Has anyone ever heard of this car? Did it ever make it to the fair? Does it still exist?

A larger view:

http://www.geocities.com/detpix/detpic12a.jpg

Ookpik

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6144
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first thought is Times Square/Grand River area.

The Detroit Times building is visible in the background, and the one story building on the right? Maybe Nick's Gaslight Lounge? If so the Downtown Florists Building is demolished.

http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1p2fs82c1dg&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=3779015

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 921
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would agree with AIW. This is roughly standing in front of where Skipper's bar used to be.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the location is right; cass and grand river, looking towards washington blvd. you can just make out the book tower/building in the upper left hand corner and the rear of the former detroit times building...

(Message edited by rsa on February 02, 2007)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4675
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Grand River just off Bagley

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6069
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knowing the approx era of these photos, this was probably taken sometime in 1938-39, on the way the the NY Worlds Fair of 1939-1940.

I found this very extensive website on the 1939 Fair with loads of links (didn't check any) which appears to be approx 10 years old. Perhaps this car is discussed, didn't have time to look thru it in detail.

http://www.websyte.com/alan/ny wf.htm

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can pin down the date if you find out when the Lions were hosting the Redskins, also there was a rodeo in town. 25 cents for parking all day.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 960
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"their $13.00 car"--that would have been the going rate for a beater car in the late 30's--and who was Rosenbloom? he's the John Hancock of the autograph car.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4681
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions hosted the Redskins in 1938, 1939 the game was in Washington.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typical Lions, they got beat 7-5, only able to muster a field goal and a safety. They haven't changed much in 50 years.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions also hosted the Redskins on October 27, 1940, however, the World's Fair ended the same day. Maybe thats way I can't find any info on the car - they never made it to the Fair!

I think Rosenbloom was Maxie Rosenbloom. I have three other photos of just the car and it is covered in autographs! Everyone from Bing Crosby to Mickey Mouse.

Ookpik

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4818
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

68 years ago Rock. The Rock tells it like it tis, except for the Bobby Layne Days.

Who are the Pinney Brothers? There's a Pinney Theater in Boise, Idaho in 1938.

On Jay Leno, they have featured a motorcycle being autographed by stars each night. It then goes for charity auction. Must be a Hollywood thang.

jjaba congratulates the quick ident. of photo. What a wonderful series for our entertainment.

jjaba.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik for President!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, it was 68 years go, but the Lions had a few good years in the 50's so I have given them some credit.
So it was Maxey Rosenbloom's signature on the car? One of jjaba's boys, better know as Slapsy Maxey Rosenbloom, world boxing champ in the early 30's who later became an actor in mediocre films.
You learn all kinds of things on the Forum.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1957 Was the last time the Lions won the championship. I know, Van Patric told me so.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the larger view, the building in the upper left looks to be Hudsons.Ookpik, I just love your series of old photos! Its fun to see them get identified, so I hope you will post all 10,000. I have a few of my own that will challenge the forums. Keep up the good work, and a tip of the hat to Lowell and the rest for their fantastic efforts. PS If anyone has any photos ot the Belle Isle "Kite In"(sponsored by WABX) or bike marathon (sponsored by Pepsi), I would love to see them in a new thread. Any one?

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6121
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet said: "...so I hope you will post all 10,000..."

Lowell to supplier: "Yes, those five newfangled terrabyte drives you sent over are crashing....."

:-)