Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo IX - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pic

Not much to go on here - the building appears to be a factory or warehouse of some type.

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Ookpik

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 956
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I-94 and I-75?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I was thinking...the east side of the complex off Clay east of I-75.

I know that our railroad buffs will chime in to let us know exactly where this is!!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guys and gals working on the Old Car Factories mega-thread probably already have an identified aerial photo and map of this very plant somewhere in their 24 individual threads!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That appears to be near the Sugarbush Wye at Milwaukee Junction. That web site now doesn't have all the Milwaukee Junction links it once had. But one problem with that is that the tower there had two floors (I thought)--unlike this smaller one. So, this implies a minor interlocking.

Notice that the cars are Conrail--Penn RR and NYC. This implies a switch along where Conrail moves. Those two stacks probably belong to some power plant. These buildings could be within or near the Cadillac plant, but if so why the small tower? Is this some remnant not torn down yet? West Detroit tower in the Cadillac facility was the biggest control tower in Michigan.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 06, 2007)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 965
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not the building at Piquette/Rivard/Russell
(SE corner of I-75 & I-94) that was American Blower/Square-D electric/Volunteers of America, my buddy owns it now.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 767
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The picture appears to way predate Penn Central/Conrail, given the outside braced box cars shown. This is purely a guess on my part, but I would think this is a Pennsylvania Railroad train. Since the New York Central was the hot shoe in Detroit, it should be fairly easy to track the PRR lines in the city to figure out where the location is.

It isn't Minwaukee Jct. The "tower" is on the wrong side of the tracks compared to the industrial buildings and appears to be just a lineman's shack.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 546
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In addition to the Penn Central gondola and boxcars, there is a NY Central hopper car in the background and what appears to be a Michigan Central boxcar at the right foreground.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2420
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan Central has been a part of the NYC for some time. So, they're both technically NYC--pre-Conrail. Although railroad cars travel outside their railroad's tracks, the MC car does lend support that the photo was taken in Detroit.

The shadow from the tower or shed rules out the large building being on the south side of the tracks.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee lofts?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is Packard!

Building between lutheran cemetary and bellevue street. Tower box matches exactly.

Am I right? Am I right?!

See here: http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1w61782f07b&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=5639847

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like a perfect match to me, jerome!

if you go to the south a little from that spot, that picture shows the building at a better angle:
http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1w77882f0vk&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=5639770

Ookpik

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I click on those links, I get the following errors:

Netscape: Live Local Search Beta

IE: Page not found.

What am I doing wrong?

Ookpik

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2421
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It works fine with Firefox 2. And it most definitely is as shown, especially the last link. All the openings in the elevator shaft (or whatever it was) matched. The two smoke stacks were probably part of the other building to the NW. But the stacks, no longer needed, were pulled down for safety reasons. Or fell down...

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3022
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packard it is!

Looks like the photographer was standing at the corner of Beaufait and Farnsworth. The stacks were between Palmer and E Grand Blvd and disappeared sometime between 1956 and 1961.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those last two links work well in Internet Explorer for me.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just some questions, though.

What is the age for the cemetery? The reason asked is: where did the switched track heading south go? Apparently, it went to, around, or through the current cemetery. And what was the purpose of the apparent railroad shed or tower. Was there another ROW there once? The neighborhood seems residential to the south.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess this photo dates from the early 1950s or previous. The circle PRR keystone logo was replaced about 1953 by the shadow Keystone. The Oval NYC logo was replaced in the mid 1950s with the oval and black band logo which accompanied the "cigar stripe" paint scheme. Wooden, outside braced boxcars were still common during this era.

If you all are referring to the "tower/shed" on the left side, I would guess it to simply be an MofW shack or cabin for a section person. That siding going off to the left appears to be nothing more than an industrial siding, and probably has a hand throw switch.

The line is the east leg of the old Union Belt line, which began at P Company Jct in Dearborn and arced around the city over to the east side. The Union Belt was a joint operation of the Pere Marquette, Wabash, and PRR. The Detroit Terminal also had a line a little farther east of here, and was a join operation of the NYC and GTW. The NYC car could have come from interchange. I think I have my east side industrial line reminants correct.

Otherwise, GREAT photos Ookpik! What is the source for these? Thanks

Ookpik

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx for the identification!

The following negative is attatched to the Packard negative. Was this building also part of the Packard complex or was it a railroad building?

pic

A larger version:

http://www.geocities.com/detpix/detpic21a.jpg

Buster - Thanx! The photos are from my personal collection.

Ookpik

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 768
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had to hazzard a guess, I'd say it looks like some railroad's coaling tower, but most of those in the midwest were concrete, weren't they?

Busterwmu.....
.....I guessed it was a PRR train because of the cars on what appeared to be the main line.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was either a lumber or coal yard on one of the ends of the German cemetery that probably had rail service. There were many of them along those tracks. I think I posted a Sanborn map of it on a thread about the cemetery awhile back.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2426
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernois Yard originally had a wooden coal tower. A very fuzzy picture of it can be viewed at MichiganRailroads.com--hunt for it. BTW, the large concrete coaling tower there still stands. The HTTP title still says Augusta but I mentioned that to the webmaster there years ago and gave up... Previously, he had put it down in his coaling facilities web page as being demoed, so he's making some progress.

There used to be two large roundhouses at Livernois Yard--a rarity. So the main hosteler there probably made a number of trips out there to the coaling tower, unless others did it instead.

The current tracks there today by the Packard are double until just north by the next street, where it becomes one.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Livernoisyard

What is the age for the cemetery? The reason asked is: where did the switched track heading south go? Apparently, it went to, around, or through the current cemetery. And what was the purpose of the apparent railroad shed or tower. Was there another ROW there once? The neighborhood seems residential to the south.

The siding is not in the 1950 DTE aerials, the stacks are not there either.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

German Cemetery thread:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/72886.html

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3024
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The spur led to Enterprise Foundry on E Warren, manufacturer of Grey iron castings.

Enterprise Foundry Ltd