Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo VI - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe this is Pingree Park off of Forest. In the background is Barbour Middle School. I used to work there.

I've been looking for these type of pics.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pic

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Thanks Yelloweyes! I misnamed/misnumbered the post and was deleting it while you posted. Hence, you appear to have identified the photo before it was posted!

I figured this was or near Pingree Park. Where is Pingree Park exactly? I have a lot of Pingree Park photos.

Ookpik

Yelloweyes

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Canfield and Forest And Seneca...Just the other side of Indian Village.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a fantastic picture.

The little guy looks like he's ready to give that ball a Ruthian blast.

Do you have a date on this pic?

(Message edited by rjk on February 20, 2007)

Yelloweyes

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess early 1930's.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm. Left-handed hitter and left handed catcher (Mitt is on the right hand). Or did Ookpik flip the negative again?

Ookpik

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good catch Ray. I'll blame it on to many paczki. ;)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2581
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not many (any?) infielders other than first basemen are southpaws. Flipping the slide would mean that the shortstop and third basemen were southpaws--highly unlikely from an actual game perspective. My guess is that the slide is correct, as is.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard is likely right. When I looked again at the large image through the link, I have to agree.

No paczkis in Las Vegas. Boo hoo hoo..........

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4066
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck, it might even be in the 20's. Did kids dress like that into the thirties?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 625
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^My father wore knickers in the 30's. I believe they were popular among boys up until WW2.

(Message edited by rjk on February 20, 2007)

Ookpik

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pic

p

Here are some more pix of the baseball players.

Ookpik

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Guys!
My family bought the house at 4506 Burns around '1973-74 and it looks like the kids are playing where Burns Would be today....can anyone tell me if this is the case?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops! Nevermind I can see a house on the corner of Burns and Canfield thats still there. Sorry.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pingree Park facing south. Barbour Middle School is the school in the background. Hugh playfield for a neighborhood park, and then across Forest to the north you have the other side of the park that's full of trees and a nice serene contrast to the playfield side.

My mom and I used to walk to the Bank of the Commonwealth bank on Fisher and passed the park.

Wow, Yelloweyes, I was so busy looking at the picture I didn't even notice that you had figured out the location of the picture.

(Message edited by royce on February 21, 2007)