Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo XIX - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pic

Street is Warren E. Business may have been "___ Club" or "____ Pub."

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Ookpik

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it be the old Club 500 or Sabre and Lancer?
Looks like there may have been and entrance on the side also. I think thats where I remember the entrances being. Not the old Maple Lanes though or Mallard Club neither had flat roofs.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LH SIde of the Street, '59 Ford, followed by a '60 Ford. RH side of the Street: Is that a '62 Comet in front of the V dub? Car in the Driveway is a '61 Chevy.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can hear the '60 Ford rusting as I look at the picture

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3115
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carom Club, 17445 E Warren, corner of Neff.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mike! That makes sense since the photo below was also taken at E Warren and Neff.

pic

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man! im going back in time! Keep it up ! Great pictures.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mikem? where did you live ? I was born on Nottingham, then we moved to Bishop and Mack in 56

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno packman, I think my dad's '74 Corolla had any '60 Ford beaten hands down for promptly rusting to a worthless hulk. By 1979 I recall the front fenders would flap in the breeze because the lower mounts had rusted away, and our feet would get wet in a rainstorm from the holes in the floorboards.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that might be the Carom Club!! Certainly it had to be in that stretch of East Warren, but I was thrown by the sign advertising food as I don't recall them serving food. Or is that sign advertising for another local establishment?

As I mentioned before, the Carom Club was run by Nick Markus, a close friend of my dad's. Us kids spent more than a few hours playing pool free of charge (if it wasn't busy) while Dad and Mr. Markus talked. And later when I was in high school, every once in a while, it was a nice place to hang out with a date!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4902
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's up with the houses? Looks like monopoly pieces. What year of construction?
Westside never looked like dat.

jjaba, Mike you always rock!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an interesting circa 1962 look at the far east side in the days just preceding the onset of Dutch elm disease. The same picture taken in 1972 would have been very different.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 748
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, I noticed that too, nice big elms!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: "What's up with the houses? Looks like monopoly pieces. What year of construction?
Westside never looked like dat."

Looks like typical post WW II housing of the late forties/early fifties. Chances are if you pry off that aluminum siding you'll find the original asbestos shingle siding. Had a house just like it on the west side at Lindsay and Pembroke. Ummm...note I said "west side", jjaba....

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4903
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess Ray1936 is right. Up near W. Eight Mile Rd. there are that same kinda monopoly game housing. We do know that Eastsiders find it easier to repaint in the color white.

Your house on Lindsay and Pembroke is a long way from Washburn and Grand River where you picked up your Detroit Times bundle from Jim Beyers. This must have been later, eh.

jjaba, Proudly Westside. Newsboy 1952-56.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that was when I made the smartest move of my life and got married. We lived in an apartment for six months and scrounged to save enough for a down payment on that first home on Lindsay. Cost $12,500, and I wondered how in God's name was I ever going to pay for it.......

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westside never looked like that? what about Warrendale! Another shot at the East side by jjaba.