Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo XX - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pic

pic

Two photos today! The Detroit River. I recognize the "7 Sisters" and the "2 Brothers" and that's about all. I assume the photos were taken from the Belle Isle Bridge?

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Ookpik

(Message edited by Ookpik on February 27, 2007)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gabriel Richard Park in the foreground; Brodhead Armory far left through the trees. Alden Park Towers is the taller of the two apartment buildings. Yes, it must have been taken from the Belle Isle Bridge.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 988
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 sisters in the middle of the 2nd photo?

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathleen!

Yes, that is the 7 Sisters in the middle of the second photo.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what ship/boat is docked in the pic?
I seem to remember a submarine docked there in the 50's.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alden Park Manor is the shorter building with the taller Detroit Towers and its gold turret behind it. The ship in the forground was the U.S. Naval Reserves frigate of World War II vintage. I've forgotten its name, but it was assigned to the U.S. Navy Reservists based at the R. Thornton Brodhead Naval Armory.

Bob Cosgrove

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Bob, for the clarification.