Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo XXI - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pic

I don't recognize anything in this photo.

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Ookpik

(Message edited by Ookpik on February 28, 2007)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your "please click here" link takes us to a previously posted photo, the one of the dam.

Ookpik

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dam! ;) Fixed! Click refresh if needed.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2653
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could that be near Third Street with the older railroad freight facilities behind/downstream? That's quite a pile of coal for the locomotives or power stations there.

However, the skyscrapers in the background imply something on the East Side just upstream from a bend in the river.

Perhaps, a clue might be contained in the DY banner...

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 28, 2007)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recognize the Guardian building I think I see the Penobscot and Cadillac Tower as well.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can we get a Sanborn map in here, stat?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider is right...definitely the Guardian and Penobscot Buildings in the distance; the 3rd might be the old Real Estate Exchange building (long ago razed). I'm thinking that the buildings at the extreme right of the photo may be part of the Parke Davis complex at the foot of Joseph Campau.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say it was taken looking downriver toward the downtown area, Uniroyal plant is shown and the Parke Davis facility is on the right side of the photograph.
That looks like one of the old Browning boats tied up at the dock. The McCarthy boats use to tie up there too.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Bob. I should have recognized the Uniroyal Plant buildings! So the photo was likely take from the Belle Isle Bridge?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3130
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle Bridge looking downstream. U.S. Rubber on the far right. Next to it is an old gas plant of the Detroit City Gas Co. If the coal pile belongs to the gas plant, then the picture is pre-1940 (natural gas by pipeline from Kansas arriving in the city in 1936), otherwise it could be for the tire factory's power plant. The ship is probably tied up at the gravel company dock. I think the factory behind the ship is the Buhl Stamping Co. or a combination of Buhl and Parke Davis.

Map from 1947:

Ookpik

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the map! If this photo was taken from the Belle Isle Bridge looking downstream, then yesterday's photos (Old Photo XX) must be looking upstream? The photo is probably pre-1940.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3132
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, yesterday's looking upstream.

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it be a photo taken from the ferry from Belle Isle? The one that shuttles all those commuters(HEHE)
If not mistaken, remember "Presumed Innocent" movie with Harrison Ford taking ferry
from Belle Isle to go to work. Always got a chuckle from that.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can any maritime fans tell us about the ship?