Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo XXIII - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pic

pic

Two photos today! Where is this exactly? Memorial Park? I tried to figure it out on Google Earth but was unable to do so. I have been everything from a fan to a pit crew member during the hydroplane races for over 30 years and this doesn't look familiar at all.

For a larger version of the first photo, please click here

For a larger version of the second photo, please click here

Ookpik

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3156
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taken from a room at The Whittier?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't be The Whitter. The 7 sisters in the background are across the river. It has to be taken from the Canadian side.

Ookpik

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photo was taken from the Detroit side. The building across the river is the Detroit Yacht Club on Belle Isle.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm not mistaken, that photo was taken between the third and fourth circles of Dante's Inferno.

Ookpik

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? Is that off Jefferson? :-)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think MikeM's guess is pretty on target. I believe that all those trees and maybe the two towers (although those could be something industrial along the riverfront further east) are Waterworks Park.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM is always on target, he is amazing.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 730
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem is right on target. The inlet in the foreground is now the location of the marina at Erma Henderson Park. Immediately across the inlet is the current site of the Jeffersonian and River House apartment buildings. The Detroit Yacht Club can be seen across the river on Belle Isle. Judging from the vintage of the automobiles and the boats, the photos are circa mid 1930's.

Mikem

Post Number: 3157
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not so sure the photo is from The Whittier itself, or the apartments next to it, closer to Jefferson. When was The Whittier built? Late 1920s? Were the apartment buildings next to it built at the same time? When was the Memorial Park Marina dredged?

Ookpik

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pic

Erma Henderson Park

Mikem

Post Number: 3158
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stacks in the foreground are probably at the Fairview pumping station at the end of Fairview, which pumps waste from that area of town down to the wastewater treatment plant on the Rouge. The station probably had steam-powered pumps with its own on-site steam plant. I don't see the stacks in the early aerial photos, so the picture must be pre-1949.

Speaking of Fairview, I notice the Manoogian mansion was not there in 1949. I thought it was older than that - any idea which year it was constructed?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M anoogian_Mansion

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why I love this site so much..........history, photos, and great discussion of our beloved city! But, in under two hours to get this one!? Hopefully, a NEWBIE like myself will be able to answer one of these photos before you vets. In due time, Gtat, in due time. :-)

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik,
I'm sure I'm probably wrong but pull back from your Erma Henderson photo and look to the canal on the right. That looks like the old photo you posted by the width of the canal. :}

Mikem

Post Number: 3159
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks KenP, I see it now. I didn't realize how large the lot on the east side of it was.

Mikem

Post Number: 3160
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found the Fairview stacks in a different aerial photo from 1949:

Fairview Pumping Station 1949

Gone by 1952:

So there's the upper end of the date range on the photo.

Ookpik

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So am I correct in understanding that the land in the foreground of the two photos is now Erma Henderson Park? The same land on the left in the Erma Henderson Park photo? Was this once known as Memorial Park?

Mikem

Post Number: 3162
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to everyone for filling in the blanks...like the Fairview stacks. I was thinking foot of Fairview cause I remember the riverfront park there that always seemed industrial, but wasn't sure other than they seemed further east than Waterworks Park. The aerial shots are great!!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4939
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM has flown over the Detroit River more times than combined homers of Willie Horton and Hank Greenberg lifetime. 5,000 atta boys for you.

jjaba, Westsider.

Ookpik

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone! :-)

My brother has sorta flown over the Detroit River too.....

pic

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4943
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gar Wood would be proud.

jjaba.

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik,

Not sure how to quote a post, but I noticed your picture of Erma Henderson Park, wondering if you or someone in the forum knows what that "X" shaped building on the right is.

Thanks!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are the River House Co-operative apartments. http://www.riverhouse.coop/

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shot of Ookpik's brother and his boat. Judging by the boat's name, I assume he is a lawyer.

Ookpik

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting observation Rock but he is neither a lawyer or an activist. The boat, which is 50 years old, was already named Agitator when he purchased it. Despite doing research for over a year, he was unable to find out who or why named the boat Agitator. He was able to trace the history of the boat back to the original builder and had a great web page about it that unfortunately, no longer seems to work.