Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo XXIV - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above photo was the subject of Old Photo XXI. It was determined that the photographer stood on the Belle Isle Bridge and took a photo of the downstream river bank. U.S. Rubber is on the extreme right of the photo. MikeM provided this nifty map to help identify the rest.

That brings us to today's photo where a different photographer appears to have been in a boat and photographed a similar scene. While U.S. Rubber is identifiable in the center of the photo, almost everything looks completely different! Is this photo older or newer?

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Ookpik

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photo was taken from the island end of the BI bridge.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2037
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the same time, just a very different angle as Toolbox indicates.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, looks like Toolbox nailed it.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3170
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photographer might have been leaning over the railing, next to this:

http://www.harbortowncondos.co m/_picts/Com-BelleIsleBridge-0 4.jpg

Hard to tell if it was taken on a different day. The ship might have pulled anchor, but the pile of stuff to the far left of the coal piles doesen't appear to be in the first photo.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3171
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik, I have a hunch this photo from your Feb 17th blog entry might also be on Belle Isle.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik, that gas holder in the second photo was removed in the 1950s or 1960s, so I suspect your first photo is newer.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4945
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks like some deep pollution to jjaba.
Wow, the cost to health on the Eastside. No wonder the US Rubber site is considered so damn dirty today.

jjaba.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 726
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My day school would spend many a summer day at the Belle Isle beach, I remember passing the Uniroyal Plant on the way back to school and seeing the grey circles they had painted on the side and the smell of fresh rubber would always mean the end of a day and the return to school were mom would pick me up after work.