Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo XXV - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one has been a mystery to me for a long time. If you look at the extreme right side of the enlarged photo, a sign on the telephone pole reads "To The Air Show." This could mean it was located near City Airport or it may not be Detroit at all.

A larger view:

http://www.geocities.com/detpix/kk.jpg

Ookpik

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did a google search, came up with a blog that referred to kay's kitchen on gratiot. given the air shows at selfridge, you're probably looking around mt. clemens.

Scottr

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A review of 'Andary's Grill and Deli' at 23447 Gratiot in Eastpointe says it used to be kay's kitchen but was bought in the late 80's by a busboy. i have no idea if it is still there (perhaps in a newer building?), the most recent review was from 2003, nor do i know if the information is correct, perhaps someone else knows better.

http://www.we8there.com/rest_d etail.php?busid=517

a shame you hadn't posted this last night, i was right by there only a few hours ago.

the blog i referred to is here: http://nevali.blogspot.com/200 6/06/lessons-from-past.html

may as well give credit for my sources. :-)

from that location, the air show could very well have been at city airport. i have no idea where they held them back then...
(Message edited by scottr on March 08, 2007)

(Message edited by scottr on March 08, 2007)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That area doesn't look built up enough to be City Airport in the 1930s/40s. I'd have guessed Willow Run as a total shot in the dark, but Selfridge is just as likely.

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to me there was (still is?) a Kay's on M-29 in Clay Township, but that building doesn't look to be how I remember this particular Kay's.

Anyway, I could see how people would travel that route out to Selfridge.

Scottr

Post Number: 367
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After looking at the 1949 dte aerials, i don't see a building at the location i gave that fits the one in the photo.

However, i notice that gratiot's median doesn't appear to be in particularly good shape, as if it was new, although maybe the grass was just brown. It does appear in better shape in the '52 photos. This leads me to think, perhaps this picture is of kay's in its final years (maybe days?), to be torn down to turn gratiot into a divided highway.

Other than a reference to a rail ROW being turned over in 1932 for the Gratiot expansion, i can't find when the construction began. Given the depression and the war, i could see how that could have been delayed until the late 40's. In any case, by no means am i certain on any of this. It could very well be near willow run.

Also at the time, there was Gratiot airport (one of several names) at Frazho and Gratiot. First commercial airport in Michigan, maybe it had air shows too? just another idea to throw out there for possible locations...

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay's Kitchen was on Gratiot near where I-696 intersects now. It may have moved when 696 was built.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it may have been South of 696 but pretty close to that area.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Kays kitchen in Algonac but I dont think this is it

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4960
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM, we need you.

jjaba.

Ookpik

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Fareastsider may be on to something. Kay’s Restaurant is located in Algonac at 5347 Pointe Tremble Rd. An online review of the restaurant states that it is a “50 year old Mom and Pop.” A restaurant named Galley is located at 2430 Pointe Tremble Rd. This is interesting as the next photo I was going to post is a restaurant named “Ann’s Galley.” Also, the person who originally took these photos had a cottage along the St. Claire River.

Ct4438

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been about 10 years now, but I recall Kay's in Algonac as serving excellent breakfast food. I guess I didn't realize it was in Algonac, I was remembering it farther south into Clay Township.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes technically it is in Clay Twp. I went to school with a girl whose parents owned it. I used to eat there when a friend lived near by years ago.

Ookpik

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Kay's still look like this or is it now in a newer building?

Ct4438

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. My dad lived in Algonac from the time he was 11-19 and when we visited my grandparents we'd go there for breakfast occasionally.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know to be honest I will have to drive by there some time this weekend to look. I havnt been there in a long time and never pay attention driving past it.

Ookpik

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is currently a restaurant at 2430 Pointe Tremble Road named "Galley." Is this it circa 1945?

A larger view:

http://www.geocities.com/detpix/ag1.jpg

Ookpik

Fareastsider

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go I went and got those photos! Here is Kays it is either a new building or a major renovation add on but it looks nothing like the old one.
KAYS
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/Ira%20Tw p%20Michigan/IraTwp3-12.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/Ira%20Tw p%20Michigan/IraTwp3-9.jpg

Here is the Galley clearly a much newer structure.
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/Ira%20Tw p%20Michigan/IraTwp3-20.jpg

Ookpik

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Fareastsider!!! I have been trying to identify those two photos for about three years! I wonder if the white building next to the modern Kay's is actually the old Kay's. Also, notice how the new Galley features portholes as windows - just like the old Galley! :-)

Downtowntom
Username: Downtowntom

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A waitress I know worked at Kays Kitchen (on gratiot, in Eastpoint) for 25 years and she remembers customers talking about the original Kays Kitchen located in the area of 8 mile rd. and Groesbeck Hwy. (M 97).

Ookpik

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Downtowntom! I will follow the lead and see what I can find out.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2738
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truckers were probably the largest single group of customers for restaurants like that sixty years ago. It's too bad that almost all of those drivers are long dead by now.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3177
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The restaurant definitely looks like Algonac territory, however, there was a Kay's Kitchen on Gratiot as ScottR says, between 9 & 10 Mile. The Packard, later Hartung Airport, was at 10½ Mile & Gratiot, but the sign pointing to the airshow would be pointing in the wrong direction.