Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo XXVI - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume this is the Belle Isle Bridge?

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Ookpik

(Message edited by Ookpik on March 12, 2007)

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is........from the mainland to the Isle.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad would tell me stories of the bridge and every-time we passed over it he would share that when he was a teen he used jump of of it (until he was chased off by the police)....little did he know that later in my life I was jumping off the observation deck in the marina at a GP country club, where a worker would chase us off....stating that there was cement and refarb sticking sunken in the area...like father like son.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 773
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"little did he know that later in my life I was jumping off the observation deck in the marina at a GP country club,"

This would indicate that you are one of our learned elders Gibran as it has been some time since the Country Club was where the Little Club sits today... with a marina.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4992
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anybody ID the cars in the photo? Yr.-make-model.
Thanks.

jjaba.

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno about the cars, I'm more interested in the ( I presume ) motorcycle the photo was taken from.

It's an impressively clear, considering it was shot from a moving, '30's era bike.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sailor Rick - Outstanding observation and one I never noticed before - the photo does appear to be taken from a motorcycle! My guess is an Indian or a Henderson but that is only a guess.

The car on the right hand side of the photo appears to be a 1935 or 1936 Ford while the car on the upper left appears to be a 1939 or 1940 Ford.

Here is a recent picture of the Belle Isle Bridge. Note the guardrail and curb area is completely different than the old picture. I assume the bridge underwent renovations at some point?

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when the bridge was redone, so it must have been in the 80's. I also remember driving across the bridge and seeing a hole in the railing after somebody drove their car off of it. I think that was just before it was redone.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bridge jumping was a big thing in the late 50's.

It wasn't a good place to do a belly flopper, but it wasn't that tough at twenty.

I don't think I'll be trying it again nearing 70. But then...

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember or have pics of the old tunnel under Jefferson to the Belle Isle bridge?