Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :: Car / Homeowners Insurance in the City :: Mega Thread » Home owners insurance in Detroit - Revisited « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all - 2 years ago, I asked the same question to forumers - Who does everybody use for home owners insurance?

I found a "great" deal by Detroit standards, through State Farm, but they have steadily increased their rates over the last 2 years. (%30)

Does anyone have any new suggestions I should look into? I've asked co-workers and friends who live outside of the city, and they say their insurance has gone up in small increments, (like $20) or stayed the same.

Why should our insurance keep going up in leaps and bounds? I've never made a claim. No house has burnt down on my block. I haven't noticed an increase in crime... what gives?

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farmers was $500-700 cheaper then the others...However, i live in Ferndale and not Detroit so the rate is more then likely different.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of my neighbors use Farmer's Insurance. I have Auto Owners for my home insurance and their rates are some of the cheapest I've found for Detroit. The rates haven't really gone up much either.

Over the years I've found Farmer's and Auto Owners to have the most competitive rates as well as the most stable for Detroit

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11414
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State Farm here too. By far was the cheapest of any group.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting I have Citizen's, I've never really shopped homeowners as I have the policy from a friend's mom.... Maybe I should try to shop it?

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 272
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had my car insurance with Auto-Owners since I was 16 yrs. old. (almost 21 years) I have had renters insurance with them, including riders on fine arts. When I bought my house 4 houses down the street from where I was renting, they refused to give me replacement coverage on my house, or even contents. They will still insure my fine arts, but they will not insure my home. Keep in mind that I have no claim history. This irks the hell out of me. They could at least offer me the same replacement cost coverage on my contents that they did when I was a renter 4 houses away. Seems to me they have it backwards. I always thought owning a house meant you were more responsible, not less.......

J_stone

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone. I'll give Farmers and Citizens a try.

Sport - Has your State Farm gone up a lot every year?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11417
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it may have gone up for the first time recently, like $25 or $50 I think.

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am closing Monday on a place in EEV. My quotes for a 3 bedroom all brick 2 story colonial ranged between $750 and $1600. My best rate, $732 (SAFECO) came from Insure.com. Their service was quite prompt; I highly recommend them.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2490
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J_stone, did this new quote come after State Farm lost it's Katrina suit sometime in the last couple months?

It may be you're the first one to get hit with the cost increases that are sure to come from that.

People in the gulf atlantic area are already having a hell of a time getting new house insurance policies. State Farm and one of the other insurance companies have stopped issuing new home policies in the south east.

J_stone

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NDavies - Yah, bingo. I did not realize there was a suit.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Allstate. I'm paying a little over $500 a year on my house here in the city. Then again, it's a brand new house. I'm paying significantly less because of that fact.

I also have my car insurance through them, so there's a discount in regard to that fact.

(Message edited by Matt on March 21, 2007)

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure but isn't it a practice called "Red Lining"...

Keyword "Detroit"

Connotation...Crime, vandalism, drugs, fire, claims, ....

regards

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Crap! I just got my car insurance bill... It went down $43 for six months, and the CCCA was not adjusted yet!

I got to go see if Allen Funt has a camera pointed into my living room....

Chuckles

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insurance companies, selling Home Insurance, doing business in Detroit and other Metro cities are getting their collective butts kicked with the record home foreclosures, and the SubPrime lenders going out of business these days.

I am sure that Rates will be adjusted accordingly(to make up for their loss's) on their remaining business, just a matter of time.

regards

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have used Pioneer Insurance. They are a small insurance company out of Flint. I go through Whims Insurance in Rochester to get to Pioneer.

http://whimsinsurance.com/

I live in an inner ring suburb, so I am sure Detroit would be different. Though, I have always had an outstanding rate in comparison to the larger companies and good service. I can give my agents name if you would like it.

Chuckles

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is a Redline area, you pay a premium for house insurance, auto insurance, etc...WHY...

because the records show that something bad will happen to your home or car if it is in Detroit ...

pretty straight forward...

This is fact not speculation or rumor......

Regards