Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo XXVII - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Del Ray? Elsewhere?

A larger view:

http://www.geocities.com/detpix/detpic41.jpg

Ookpik

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 587
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a lot of salt.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worked on Zug Island years ago, does not seem to be there, but could be McLouth Steel further down river. Just a wild guess though.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 350
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitsalt.com/con tact-map.htm

http://tinyurl.com/38zo3x

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2765
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The manager of the Detroit salt mine gave an informative slide show at the Dearborn Community Center last week. He said that the longest linear run of their tunnels was three miles long, about 22 feet in height, at a depth of approximately 1100 feet. The profile showed another salt vein at a higher elevation (maybe 1000 feet down?), but that vein isn't mined. He was responsible for redesigning the mine (in 1998?) after its earlier closure.

Part of that redesign was the construction of a newer railroad yard in addition to replacing its old tipple tower. They operate with a small number of ten-man mining crews.

Their mining rescue team entered its first national competition last year and came back with a first-place championship.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on March 14, 2007)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Delray Salt Co, about 100 years ago.

Delray Salt Co Detroit

LOC

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The manager of the mine noticed that on the back of a door in one of their old buildings still had the list of the original miners from 1906 or so.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 786
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would salt be left out side like that to melt away in the rain? I think we are looking at another mineral like gypsum possibly.

Seanharper
Username: Seanharper

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian makes a great point there. US Gypsum still has a facility along the Rouge, and the elevated train tracks in the background make me think it is probably somewhere near the water. Any better guesses?

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morton Salt Logo

When it rains it pours

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2792
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the salt is left out exposed like that. Check out the Detroit salt mine. So what if a little melts?

Detroit's salt is almost exclusively used for the cities and counties to melt highway snow. There's little rain during the colder weather anyway.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Salt Company appears to not mind storing their salt outside.