Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo XXIX - Van Dyke Near Outer Drive « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the parade is marching down Van Dyke towards Outer Drive.

A larger view:

http://www.geocities.com/detpix/par2a.jpg

Ookpik

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3208
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leonard Furniture was just a few stores south of 8 Mile (see the tall power lines in the background). Sign is still on the building.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5631
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building where Leonard Furniture is at still standing. Later it became a Asian Owned Beauty and Barber surply store and it caught on fire just a while ago. Now the building a total loss.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leonard Furniture established c.1885. The Art Van of his time!! Wonder how many stores they had around the city.

"LEONARD, Henry R., president H.R. Leonard Furniture Co.; born, Cleveland, O., Aug. 27, 1847; son of Raymond H. and Margaret C. (Cowan) Leonard; educated in public schools of Cleveland, married at Cleveland, 1872, Annie E. Lawrence. Began in furniture business in Cleveland, 1867; removed to Detroit, 1884, and established the H.R. Leonard Furniture Co. Republican. Member Masonic order (32o), Knights Templar, Shrine. Recreations: Driving and breeding fine trotting horses. Office: 267-269 Woodward Av., Detroit. Residence: 34 Eliot St., Detroit; summer residence: Point Aux Barques, Mich."

Source: THE BOOK OF DETROITERS: A Biographical Dictionary of Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis. Chicago: A. N. Marquis & Company, 1908.

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mi /county/tuscola/det/detleg-lee s.htm

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks to be the east side of Van Dyke, could be a Easter Parade or Memorial Day, alot of people with short sleeves. Early spring anyway not much foliage on the trees. European Milano bakery was in the next frame I think. Although, maybe not in the era shown.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 833
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spy a '65 Fury parked in front of a '61 Buick which had it's caps swiped.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2881
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That billboard looks "overbuilt." I go by Van Dyke but never seem to notice billboards there. Mostly vacant lots amid a few still-standing storefronts. But the Outer Drive portion isn't as bad as that further south.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a more viewable version:

Van 8

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ookpik, I thought the point of these pictures was to try and figure out where the location is? No fun if you tell it in the thread title.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dentist as a kid is that protruding overhang next to Zachary the accountant. Corner of Van Dyke and Savage.(1blk S of 8 mile.)
His name was Dr. Leonard Bartociewicz

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 649
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This had to be the early 70s, The area still looks the same and up to now had the same exact street lights.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i used to work at Crispins Automotive Diagnostic Center on the corner of Van Dyke and Outer Drive.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that also known as Wayne's Diagnostic's too. Old Standard Station before it burned down?