Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Rises, one small step at a time » "Resurget Cineribus" The Galston Rises [pic] « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3740
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember how disappointed many of us were when we assumed that the loss of the Galston was final after it was ravaged by fire.

When I saw it in the distance, while driving out Michigan on Tuesday, my heart sunk; it looked totally hopeless - scorched and roof collapsed. Then as I drove past I saw this.

The Galston Apartments Detroit

I called the company, Poe Restoration, via a number from a saw horse and learned that indeed, it was being restored. As you may recall the Galston was undergoing restoration when the fire occurred. Poe Restoration Co., shown above setting up its platforms in preparation to restore the Galston facade, had previously completed its facade restoration tasks.

So hold off putting the Galston in the Fabulous Apartment Ruins of Detroit.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 571
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a nice looking building. Glad it's being restored.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shot Lowell. Any idea how long this restoration will take? The brick work looks intact.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3748
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Poe, they are only doing the exterior. The interior has to be quite a task seeing how the roof appears collapsed for two floors. Obviously the builder took out insurance, something that would both surprise and not surprise me.

When I first saw it being restored, I just assumed it was going to be a fix the windows and paint over the cracks job. Now I am starting hope otherwise.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 518
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:: rubs eyes::
Am I seeing this?!

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is another South West Housing Project.

http://www.swsol.org/

I am almost positive they will be completely restoring this building back to it's glory. They do a bunch of great work in the city.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 823
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great News to start the week on.

Thanks Lowell

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Model D had a recent article on the Galston building:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/galston86.aspx

quote:

March 20, 2007
4 buildings, 90 units under development by Southwest Housing

Southwest Housing Solutions is currently renovating four multi-family buildings in Southwest Detroit that total 90 units of affordable housing.

Model D first reported on the Galston (pictured) and Shirley buildings in November 2006. The 31-unit Galston, located on Michigan Avenue west of Livernois, suffered a construction-related fire last month. Fortunately, SHS's real estate development director, Steve Gabrys, estimates the project will be set back only a few months. "We plan to re-roof as soon as the weather breaks," he says.