Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Looks like Slumpy has lost its face « Previous Next »
Archive through May 01, 2007Diehard57 05-01-07  7:13 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you listen to the video very closely you can hear what appears to be 2-3 people blowing very hard... they definantly were the cause of the collapse....

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 967
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He huffed and he puffed and he blew the house down..."

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have been that coyote that blew the house down!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4320
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Kwame busted some major ass from the coney dogs?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 706
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHy in the world did anyone move such a big mansion onto what looks like cinder blocks and a weak wooden frame? Wasn't it doomed from that point on?

You're forgetting which city this house is in. It shouldn't be a surprise.

Bornthere
Username: Bornthere

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is such a tragedy that so many beautiful homes are crumbling and boarded up or fenced in. Someone owns them I suppose; probably real estate speculators.

I know this is a bit negative, but I often wonder why enterprising soul doesn't find a way to remove (legally) the interiors or embellishments so that at leat they will be saved.

Some of the architectural details are just so beautiful and rare.

By the time the home crumbles, water and weather have made such an impact that the wood flooring, the plaster castings, the marble mantels, etc...are beyond fixing. Yet if they'd been salvaged and documented there would at least be something left.

I've heard of illegal scavenging. That is not what I'm referring to. Some scavengers steal the metals to resell as scrap.

As to restoration...I'm sure that the cost is so prohibitive. It usually means bringing things up to code, getting rid of asphalt, new plumbing, heating, etc. Most cannot do it, especially if the neighborhood around the home is not being restored.

Wally2times
Username: Wally2times

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't restore that house. The foundation was obviously destroyed when they moved it.

You can however pull the original plans and duplicate it for a few bucks.

too bad. You are right, so many beautiful homes and buildings with so much history gone down the tubes.

Its unforgivable of all the politicians that have ruled over detroit since the late 60's.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4369
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That house should have never ben moved in the first place. Some frat promised to restore the house, but that never came through.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those interested the Michigan in Pictures Blog featured Slumpy recently with some information and useful links regarding the structure.

Michigan in Pictures:
http://michpics.wordpress.com/ 2007/05/09/slumpy-the-william- livingstone-mansion-in-detroit s-brush-park/

They also used my Slumpy shot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/490300425/

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of "pulling the plans", how is that done, exactly? Can you find blueprints/floor plans of any house in Detroit?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame -- Not sure how to pull plans, but your earlier posts were right on. Probably the best approach at improving things at this point is public pressure. Create a website documenting the worst offenders, listing addresses and ownership, putting pressure on private owners but also on the city.

You can look up the deed information for properties online for free, I've done it, although it does take considerable patience given the limited functionality at the current county deeds website. Let me know if you need more details on how to do this.

Mdoyle -- A lot of cynicism is warranted, but it's counterproductive and inaccurate to just say that "everything is hopeless" with city government. For example, the parking collections department is pretty well-run (basically privatized) and has no problem collecting on tickets.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Eastsidedame -- Not sure how to pull plans, but your earlier posts were right on. Probably the best approach at improving things at this point is public pressure. Create a website documenting the worst offenders, listing addresses and ownership, putting pressure on private owners but also on the city."

AMEN! I've always thought it was BS what the owners of some of these were able to get away with. I dont even live there any more but if I did, I'd be in on this one.

Farlane
Username: Farlane

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a huge bummer that this move was botched so badly. As I clicked around Brush Park pics, it did seem that there were some renovations that had gone a lot better.

Thanks for linking over to Michigan in Pictures, Ryan (and thanks everyone for visiting). In case the maintainers of this forum are interested, I saw well over 100 people visit from here.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Exmo. And I never thought Detroiters would put up with such irresponsible goings-on...have we been so beaten down into complacency? (Posters on this thread, excepted, of course.) Where is the sense of responsiblity for the neglect of this and other historic structures? And the demand for accountability from the public AND the city. Our midwestern ethics seem to have hit the "snooze alarm".

If I were still in town, brother, I would create and administer the website myself. This situation is both intolerable and inexcusable. And the company who MOVED the Livingstone should get their license pulled and NEVER work again. Would any of you know whom that might be?

This issue literally keeps me awake at night. I should know better never to check out this thread before bedtime!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slumpys name comes from here:
http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 5/06/21/slumpy.htm

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is detailed pictures of Slumpy *after* the facade fell.

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 7/04/10/and_all_the_kings_men. htm

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5881
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livingstone house is GONE! There's no way to fix that historical structure. See what happens if you don't take pride of your community.

It's going to take action to fix the Livingstone House not talk.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put a fork in it Danny, its done. Its beyond the beyond now.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DetroitFunk site seems to indicate that the spray-painted yellow letter "D" on the house means it is already slated for demolition. Is that what the "D" means?

Coming to think of it, after viewing the DetroitFunk website I mentioned a couple of posts ago, it appears that Slumpy house has alot of depth to it, that it is only the front facade of the house that is slumping. If that is the case then, maybe, just maybe, it still can be saved?

(Message edited by Catman_Dude on May 18, 2007)

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do deteriorating houses just spontaniously explode like that? Why would a bunch of people be videotaping a house that is just sitting there? Could there be more to this?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 469
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right place, right time Billk. Not every thing in this world is a conspiracy, so I’m sure George Bush had nothing to do with it. A good bit of luck, and a sad, but not unexpected ending.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw, me (i am detroitfunk) and AIW have had a running bet about when it would collapse for years now. I always thought it might give while I was looking at it, especially on windy days. Thanks to bloggers, it has become one of the icons for people to stop and photograph - something like Ransom Gillis.

The rest of the facade managed to fall apart on its own over time. I think these people just happened to be there. With so many people stopping daily to see the ol' girl, the odds of somebody catching the face falling off were pretty good.

Who would want to hurt Slumpy ?

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would someone please put that slouching beauty out of its misery? Nothing deserves to go like that!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still wish those newly exposed walls could talk.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can and are.Her mouth is wide open and screaming, but nobody is listening.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is, exactly, nobody? The owners? The city? I'd gladly write a letter if I knew who to write it to!

Does anyone know who the owners are? What preservation groups could put pressure on them?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 756
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was over on John R today and swung by to pay my respects to the Slumpster. Ya know, the rest of the homes on Eliot are in pretty nice shape. If I had a nice home across from it, I'd raise hell to get it torn down. Or do it myself.
Vigilante demolition.
As sad as it is that such a beautiful home was left to decompose, having to stare at it every day is even more sad.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel for you, Rhymeswithrawk. It must be torture.

Only thing worse is that seemingly nothing can be done about this house...or the next...or the next...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9511
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who is, exactly, nobody? The owners? The city? I'd gladly write a letter if I knew who to write it to!

Does anyone know who the owners are? What preservation groups could put pressure on them?

Go to the city's tax site and enter the address. You'll have to pay $2 but it is worth it is you really want to write letters to the owner(s) or city if they own it.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stumpy is DEAD man, buried em at mt elliot