Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :: Car / Homeowners Insurance in the City :: Mega Thread » Insurance rate question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lived in 48201, 48210, and now reside in 48021 due to family issues. I now keep my insurance legit, but I never did when I lived in 48201 or 48210 because it was too damn expensive. It's time for me to move back to the city, and I'd like to keep my insurance legit if I could as having a suburban plate gets you pulled over all the time. Is there a map or a chart anywhere on the web that lists rates by zip code? Even with just no-fault, some areas are just ridiculous.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is a "suburban plate"?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a plate registered with a suburban address?

I doubt they would let that information out. They cloud how they set insurance rates.

The State has a laisiez-faire way of regulating these rates. There is an actual state industry in charge of them, but if you go to their website, they just tell you to shop around.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 488
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For years I have resented what I believe to be the profoundly unfair rates that I paid for auto insurance simply because I live in the city. Every 5 years or so I would shop around to see if another insurer would offer me lower rates. I was unable to find rates better than MEEMIC, the carrier I've used for several decades. They all seemed equally bad.

Again, the only reason for my high premiums was because I live in the city. I have a clean driving record, live in a good neighborhood, and so on.

Two weeks ago, at the suggestion of a friend and neighbor, I went to the AAA office in the Dime Building (The lobby of the Dime is really lovely; but that's for a different thread.) and spoke to a Ms. Alma Miller. She ran all my info through their computer and came up with a premium of LESS THAN HALF of what I was paying MEEMIC for the same coverage.

When I asked her how she was able to do this, Ms. Miller said that AAA now looks at individual neighborhoods rather than whole zip codes, a person's driving record, claims history, credit score, age category, and other personal factors; rather than just red-lining the entire city. She said that they are doing this now because other insurance companies have come to Michigan and AAA now wants to "cherry pick" the best drivers. Please Note: I'm not quoting Ms. Miller; but that's my best recollection of her explanation.

I called MEEMIC to see if they could beat AAA. They called back the next day with a quote that was close; but it did not match AAA. Two days later I signed up with AAA and wrote MEEMIC a detailed letter expressing my regret at severing our relationship because, other than the red-lining rates issue, I was satisfied with their service.

My suggestion to others who feel that they are paying unfairly high rates is to shop around now. Things may be changing.

An added benefit: the AAA office is right in downtown Detroit in the Dime Building.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family has been with AAA for years. I once tried to find lower rates a few years ago and no one came close. Still with them today.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 688
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NeilR, that's good information. I'm gonna call Ms Miller this week. While I've been living in the city for almost 6 years now, my car has been "residing" in Plymouth because of ridiculous insurance rates, despite my good driving record. Funny thing is, when I first moved to Detroit, I was with AAA, made my address change, my next insurance bill was about 60% higher than before, so I cancelled, got insurance with a different company and an address in the suburbs. I don't like to cheat but hey, I don't see why I should be punished just because I have a Detroit address, and the insurance companies don't care about any other factors but the zip code.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 990
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't assess rates by zip code, they use your address. You will get numerous rate fluctuations in the same zip code. Homes closer to major roads like Grand River, Orchard Lake, 8 mile, or I-75 have higher claims for damage or theft. The reasoning being that thieves feel more secure in those subdivisions with an accessable escape route.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, how do you know that they are that sophisticated with their underwriting?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 991
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was pricing out homes in Ferndale and giving the addresses to my Insurance agent, AAA at the time. He would input the address, and give me a quote. All addresses were in the same zip code.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep in mind that the "suburban address" will be discovered at the most opportune time and your claim will be denied.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very difficult indeed…

The address on my drivers license should match the address we live at, I had changed my address to a Detroit address right after we moved, so first problem.

Second problem was our vehicles had liens (GMAC) on them; well this is where we got caught. We had given GMAC our correct address in Detroit; we had given State Farm our address in Ann Arbor.

Well one day we get this letter from State Farm saying that they have received information from the lender (they communicate with each other) that the address they have (insurance company) on file does not match the address the lender has.

So you have to lie to:

1. The insurance company.

2. The secretary of state, or not change your address, which is a one year suspension.

3. The lender

When we moved to Detroit everyone stated to us how easy it would be, just use a friends address, everyone does it.

Unless you own the vehicle, free of any liens, I don’t know how they get away with it.

Way to complicated for me, I gave up and paid the difference.

Oh and for the record the insurance companies rip-off the people that live in the city of Detroit and should be ashamed of themselves.

When I called around all they asked me for was my zip code, I was told straight up that the reason the rate quotes were so high was because of my zip code.

Blatant, flagrant, Discrimination.

Forgot...my zip was 48217..after giving the insurance companies those 5 numbers my goose was cooked.

(Message edited by club boss on April 19, 2007)

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After moving to Detroit: I lowered my insurance rate (which was insane) by limiting my coverage, specifically losing the "Comprehensive" and "Collision," both of which I had already bumped up to a $1,000 deductible. Since my car is paid off and won't amount to much if totaled I took up the "Limited Collision Coverage" with a low deductible--which will only pay if I am not at fault for the accident (like last night when I got rear-ended in Dearborn!) It lowered the six month bill by over $500.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 641
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AAA used to be offender #1. I'm glad to hear that they have changed their policies...

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AAA beat Esurance for the first time, when I received a quote last month...made the switch (make sure you look for discounts like being a AAA auto club member, credit union member, etc).

AAA was lower than MEEMIC for me too.