Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Hurricanes in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hamtramck Steve (136.181.195.17 - 136.181.195.17)
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came across this article on the National Weather Service’s Detroit homepage, and I wondered if any “old-timers” on this forum remember this storm… (I cut the article to the bone for this post, but you can read the entire article here: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/dtxcane.htm )

THE ASTONISHING STORM OF SEPTEMBER 25, 1941
…A tropical storm formed in mid September over the eastern Gulf of Mexico…It pushed west across the Gulf… intensifying briefly to a category #3 storm (111-130 mph wind)…The hurricane made landfall on the 23rd near Freeport, Texas…[and]…continued to roar on its northward path through Texas…through the Mississippi Valley and on into the Great Lakes…The following is taken the day after, September 26th, 1941 from the Detroit Free Press about the storm . . .

"River goes dry"
There were many freakish effects of the wind, including baring of the Detroit River "middle grounds" off Belle Isle when water was backed into Lake St. Clair. The southwest gale literally blew the water out of The Detroit River, reducing its level by three feet, and leaving hundreds of pleasure craft high and dry on the muddy bottom. Several yachts broke their mooring or were heeled over at the Detroit Yacht Club. Another odd effect was the noticeable swaying of Downtown skyscrapers as the full force of the gale struck. Office employees who left tall downtown skyscrapers, were later reassured by engineers.

The Free Press goes on to say that "shortly after noon, the wind blew steadily at 56 miles an hour, but a times gusts reached hurricane velocity of 75 miles an hour." Dozens of people were injured by falling glass from windows blown out or debris tossed by the wind. One woman was literally blown into a fire hydrant, suffering a possible skull fracture. Other reports of scattered damage to homes and businesses across the region were mentioned in the article.

MC (65.33.153.162 - 65.33.153.162)
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Hurricane did come to detroit but WE BEAT THEM< HAHAHAHHAHHHHAHHHHH WINGS BABY!!!!!!!!!!

Lowell (165.247.229.120 - 165.247.229.120)
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typically Gulf hurricanes sweep past or hit the Yucatan peninsula and or western Cuba gather strength and make landfall in Lousiana or East Texas. They then continue up the western side of the Applachian chain dumping rain all the way. The recent Lili and the previous Isadore both followed that pattern. Two days after landfall, we get rain, but of varying amounts as we are usually on the northern side of the dissapating storm. Generally the preceding days are hazy and warm.

The 1941 storm must have somehow maintained its velocity. The effect on the river is an amazing story.

Alantic storms are best for us. They suck away all the moisture and draw in high pressure domes for us giving us clear crisp days.

rustic (130.132.143.49 - 130.132.143.49)
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

H-steve, maybe I am imagining it but one spring a while ago, the ice flows at lake huron and the St claire river were exceptionally early or bad or something and significantly effected water flow to the point where the Detroit river level was significantly effected. As I remember it, it was ~15 years ago or so, but I could be way off it may have been 30 years ago, or I may have imagined it too. As I remember it not only was shallow Lake st claire dramatically spotty in places but even the area around Belle isle (detroit side) was spotty too. East siders should remember this if it actually happened. Please correct me if I am wrong.

-rustic

The Ghettoman (205.188.208.135 - 205.188.208.135)
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over 9,500 years ago after the Ice Age when the glaciers melt away. Suddenly the tropics warmed up too hot , too fast that it spread its heat and humidity all the way up to Southern Canada. That's when the Hurricanes were in full force it can sometimes holds its moisture and velocity that it can reach all the way up too The new formed Great Lakes and the Eastern Seaboard. It may happen again if we create a global warming.

rustic (130.132.143.49 - 130.132.143.49)
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ghettoman, I'm not that old!

:) rustic

zulu warrior (209.69.165.10 - 209.69.165.10)
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only way that a this could have sustained such velocity would it must have met another front coming from the north. Tyipcally the hot waters of the gulf fuel the convection that occurs to start the cylonic effect of the hurricane. This usualy runs out over land.

It could be that this phenomenon was similar to the "perfect storm" analogy, with converging systems forming a larger system.

It also could be that as the atmospheric and oceanic sciences have evolved, what we called a "hurricane" then could be more aptly described as "strait line" or "duracho" winds, which michigan gets quite frequently.

atl_runner (208.46.13.130 - 208.46.13.130)
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it also depends on forward motion of the storm. It is possible this could occur without the aid of a convergence with another system. Not likely to occur more often than every hundred years or so. here in Atl, this occurance is rare.. and Atl is in prime location for a landfalling system to wreak some havoc. I remember hurricane gilbert in 89 aided in blowing the yugo (car) off the Mac bridge in the north.

The strait line winds argument is valid although any system can produce these.. even a hurricane (more likely a tropical storm or depression) over michigan.

Hamtramck Steve (68.41.216.208 - 68.41.216.208)
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, yes, the hurricane merged with a strong cold front as it moved into the Great Lakes region. The article I severely condensed also talked about Derechos.

What I was hoping to get was some memories from people who might have either been old enough to be aware of the storm at the time or who heard stories from their parents, grandparents or siblings.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.