Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Tiger Talk « Previous Next »
Consider this a mega thread within a megathread. New threads may now be created in this long running thread.
>> START A NEW TIGER THREAD
Barry Bonds, a Detroit Tiger?Smogboy15 10-16-06  9:32 pm
Tiger of the Year??Ravine14 10-15-06  10:20 pm
2006 Tiger Talk ArchiveSmoke_em_inside1754 10 10-14-06  8:16 pm
  Start New Thread        

Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 809
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unbelievable, who woulda thought this possible?

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations, my Detroit family!

This spectacular event occurring within such closeness to other sporting event championships will stir PRIDE in Detroit like never before.

- Young Detroiter
"Believe 'N the D!"

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maggs is my hero!

Motownman
Username: Motownman

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I FRICKIN LOVE MAGG!!!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3868
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polanco gets named ALCS MVP too.

Who else is more deserving?

Bravo Tigers! Bravo indeed.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 396
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggest two separate parties/parades. One for those who have been believing in this bunch of guys since early this season, and one for the people who were aggressively negative about our chances all the way up until we beat the shit out of the Yankees. When Rodriguez hit that walk-off homer a few months back, I was convinced that we were going to make it. I said so on this forum. Now, people at my job, who never cared one bit about the Tigers, all want to come up to me and talk about them. The fickle infatuation of those fair-weather fans has been one of the few negatives of an otherwise wonderful season.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 831
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great time for Detroit Sports Fans. I can't get enough of the coverage. I'm on ESPN.com, MLB.com, FOXSPORTS.com. I've got WDFN on.

The Detroit Tigers are all the buzz. Everybody's saying how simply GOOD this current Tiger team is. One question to all:

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE THE FAVORITE TO WIN THE 2006 WORLD SERIES???????

later - naturalsister

Ravine

Post Number: 398
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess that I should be taking in the NLCS games, scouting both teams, before I shoot off my mouth, but I can't imagine that the Cardinals or the Mets will be able to handle the Tigers.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10752
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,

So, you hopped on the bandwagon earlier than the other bandwagoners, good for you. I attended 37 games during the season they lost 119 games. You wanna fuckin' cookie because you believed half way through this fuckin' season? Give me a break.

Ravine

Post Number: 399
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been an avid Tigers fan since bleacher seats were damn near free. Sitting through 333 innings during a dismal season does not put you one up on me, Supersport, and your willingness to repeatedly pay for the right to subject yourself to a painful, ugly experience may empower you to see yourself as some kind of martyr/hero, but it doesn't impress me. I stick with the team through thick and thin, but that doesn't mean that I'm idiotic enough to believe, every single year, that the current team is heading for a championship. If you're wearing your ass up on your shoulders, as your nasty little comment indicates, don't flatter yourself into thinking that you can pick a fight with me and not get your ass kicked, ShortStuff.

(Message edited by ravine on October 14, 2006)

Supersport

Post Number: 10753
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 players on the current team were on the 119 loss team. If that means I'm wearing my ass on my shoulders, then so be it, but I was still there supporting the team that year. You hop on and off the bandwagon as you see fit, just like the majority of the fans. I don't really give a shit if you sat in the bleachers when they were damn near free....good for you, you get ANOTHER cookie.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 536
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I attended 37 games during the season they lost 119 games."

Are you bragging about that?
I for one more or less boycotted that sorry ass team. I attended 3 games in '03, with free tickets to two of the games.

Sports teams get better and improve because people don't attend their games or buy their merchandise, not because of people who stick with the team through thick and thin. If Ilitch could have averaged 40,000 suckers, er fans in '03 what would his motivation be to improve the team? I don't blame so-called fair weather fans, I blame Ilitch for putting a lousy ass product on the field for way to long. He drove a generation of would be fans away from the game of baseball in Detroit through his inept handling of the Tiger organization.

I don't condisder myself a fair weather fan, only someone who is not going to give my money to a sports owner who puts a lousy and inferior product on the field. William Clay, I'm looking in your direction.

I heard a guy on the radio (WDFN) the other day talking about how long he's been following the Tigers and how he's annoyed by the people who are now jumping on the bandwagon. This guy acted like he wanted the Tigers to have a special ceremony declaring him the #1 Tigers fan. I'd like to have a ceremony where I give this guy a plaque stating, "Get a life and find something to worry about."

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tonight was the best sports moment I've ever witnessed in person, and one of the best this city has ever seen. The elation, and the excitement which poured out onto the street and is still alive in many corners of downtown and various waterholes, was beyond all other sports celebrations I've seen to this point. The game itself was beautiful, with so many interesting moments, but the moments following Magglio's homerun--from the entire stadium jumping up and down and hugging each other, to chanting 'let's go tigers' or 'eat em up tigers' on the way out to the street, to highfiving everyone in grand circus park, to hearing the drone of horns and cheers across downtown, to highfiving people brandishing brooms and flags out their car windows on lower Woodward....were bliss for me.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 855
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, it's five hours after the end of the game, and I still have goose bumps.

They're gonna have nearly a week off. They should be well rested for the World Series, although I imagine Leyland will schedule some workouts. But the short vacation can't hurt 'em.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3037
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETRoit

BAAAAAAAAASEBaaaaalll!

Ray1936

Post Number: 856
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just had a thought.

Since they swept the A's four straight, there's no reason why they can't sweep the Mets or Cards in four straight, either.

Where's that damn octopus??????

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 527
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both NL matchups are favorable. Leyland knows he can just as easily play NL or AL ball with these team, and they're playing better than either NL team right now.

That said, I'm rooting for the Cards so I can drive to a game in either city (I'm in Chicago)

Smogboy

Post Number: 3871
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cards match up would just harken back to the '68 series. talk about some flashbacks for some of the older fans. I'm just envisioning who would show up at the games if it were a Tigers/ Cardinals match-up. Can you imagine all of the members of both teams making it to a game? Talk about historic.

Either way, Detroit's on a roll. If anything- the layoff while waiting for the next series could hurt us. I can't wait to see the games here in town!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 774
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I wish I could get a copy of that song from 1968...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 814
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We're trying to build an organization here that will be successful, and it's a painful process. Sometimes you have to take a step backward to go forward. The Marlins' success shows it can be done." – Detroit Tigers President Dave Dombrowski (October 27, 2003)

Smogboy

Post Number: 3878
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That painful step backwards included a 119 loss season too. I wonder how Alan Trammell and the crew before Jim Leyland felt about how the current team is doing. I'd like to think they're proud of some of the successes this team has had.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice column from the New York Post today

Smogboy

Post Number: 3894
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice colomun indeed.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 766
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another good article in today's Freep by Drew Sharp. Lolich should through out the first pitch on Sat, and Tram on Sunday--chronologically. Although for emotional effect, Tram should go on Saturday.

Go Tigers!

(Message edited by alsodave on October 19, 2006)

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Song from '68

http://audio.cdbaby.com/g/gadf ly901-01.mp3?urlid=28ecc8aed9e 64795cb56

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lolich threw out the first pitch last Saturday, I doubt he'll do it again this weekend.

Ravine

Post Number: 407
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tayshaun: I have a copy of that, but on behalf of those who don't, thank you. Corny but charming.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3904
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! Alan Trammell will be there for Game #2!!!

Chitaku

Post Number: 837
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He best get the repect he deserves

Alan Trammell- Chitaku's boyhood hero

Smogboy

Post Number: 3906
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The roar that will come up for that man will be deafening.

Not only does the city of Detroit owe that man a huge debt of gratitude but the huge chunk of the success of this current team owes a lot of its success to Alan Trammell.

He has earned every bit of respect with his competitive nature, kind spirit, dignity and class as a person. He WILL be honored by one and all.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3908
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Louis Cardinals....

You're on the radar now.

Ray1936

Post Number: 864
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure was a miserable night in New York. That drizzle looked like a pretty good rain to me. But I'm kind of glad to see a Detroit/St. Louis series once again.

1934; 1968; and now 2006.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3040
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that '68 song was pretty corny...

Lilpup

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Seger will perform "America the Beautiful" before Game 1, scheduled for Saturday night. Tigers greats Al Kaline and Willie Horton, accompanied by club owner Mike Ilitch, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.

Anita Baker, a Grammy Award-winning singer and songwriter, will perform the national anthem before Game 2 on Sunday. Hall of Famer Sparky Anderson, manager of the 1984 World Series champion Tigers, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.

Members of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southeastern Michigan will deliver the first game ball to the mound before each game. They will be accompanied to the mound before Game 1 by longtime Tigers broadcaster Ernie Harwell and before Game 2 by Alan Trammell.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 676
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really wish they'd let Ernie call a couple more innings of the play-by-play like ESPN did in the ALDS.
I get goose-bumps when I hear that man call a game.

Go Tigers!

(prediction: Tigs in 5)

Chitaku

Post Number: 840
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be in Alabama this weekendand on the plane sunday night, So i am sorry my fellow detroiters but I'm kind of hoping for a sunday rainout

Lilpup

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit's supposed to get his jersey between 11:00 and noon today - will someone please post a picture for those of us trapped in windowless workplace boxes?

Thanks.

edit to add:
From the DetNews: General Motors Corp. at noon today is sponsoring a rally for Detroit Tigers fans at the Wintergarden in GM headquarters at the Renaissance Center on Jefferson Avenue.

The rally is open to the general public. There will be free food, music and visits from former Tiger players. Paws, the Tigers mascot, also will make an appearance.

(Message edited by lilpup on October 20, 2006)

Smogboy

Post Number: 3914
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Verlander to pitch game #1, Rogers for game #2, Robertson #3 and Bonderman to finish it off with game #4.

Interesting selection by Leyland but haven't we all gotten to trust whatever that man wants to trot out there by now?

If that man wants to have Anita Baker pitch middle relief in heels & a fur coat, I'd trust him at this point.

Njmikey
Username: Njmikey

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it has taken me a while to come crawling back to this thread but here I am to wish the Tigers a good world series. I'm in a better mood after watching the stems choke to the cards last night so I don't have to listen to asshole met fans anymore. Your Tigers made me eat my words and put me in my place. The Yankees will be back next year though.

I'm rooting for your Tigers to sweep St. Louis and show the AL's dominance over the NL....Go Tigers!!!

P.S. My JETS over the Lions this weekend 31-21

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2845
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NJM', no need to crawl back, NYY had a good season they just got beat by a better team in the playoffs, unfortunately they faced them in the first round and not the ALDS. Anyway it looks like DET and NY are gonna be facing off in the post season for the next couple of years, I'm looking forward to a nice rivalry forming.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 549
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF, quote from Fox Sports:

quote:

Their performance against opposing left-handers, while better in the postseason, remains enough of an issue to practically ensure that the Tigers will start lefties Kenny Rogers and Jeriome Robertson in four of a possible seven games.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3917
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...I sure hope this new acquisition of "Jeriome Robertson" is gonna be throwing heat for us.

Sigh... Fox Sports needs to be dope slapped.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know where the billboard that says Go Tigers and Leyland for Governor is located?

There was a photo in today's Detroit News print edition but it gave no information and it didn't run in the online version of the article.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDFN is quoting the Leyland for Governor line on the air: maybe it's them

Rustic

Post Number: 2846
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wish me luck ... I'm off to see game 1

Ravine

Post Number: 409
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an old Tiger phony-jersey t-shirt with Juan Encarnacion's name and number on the back. I'm not bragging, Lord knows; he was a medium-big deal, back when he came out of the minors, so I bought it. I'm about to throw it into the back yard until the Series is over. And, should I have any cause or impulse to burn it, which I doubt, I will do so. The Jack Morris shirt stays, and I will be wearing my Inge shirt. Also, at the corner of Plymouth Road and Inkster, I picked up a cool one for $18. Picture of Albert Einstein with "got Leyland?" printed underneath. The guy said he would have new stuff, shortly.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3924
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only one game so far.

Am I worried?? NAH, not yet. If memory serves me correctly, this is how we started the New York Yankees series too. The only thing that troubled me a little bit was our lack of hitting tonight. We at least hit NYY in that initial loss.

I'm hoping the Tiger bats come alive and with some conviction for Game #2.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 554
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'm annoyed, but not worried.

I said Detroit in 5, 6 if St. Louis got an out-of-nowhere amazing start from one of their pitchers. Well....6 it is then?

Lilpup

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

better in 6 - that way they clinch at home :-)

Naturalsister

Post Number: 845
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers in 6,

You heard it here first.

later - naturalsister

;-)

Ravine

Post Number: 410
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything I know suggested that we shouldn't pitch to Pujols, but I hadn't had a smoke for about 45 minutes, and I was feeling ornery and contrary. Then, my boy Ingy got the notion to show the paying customers something new and different. Kind of funny, how he stood there with that "wuddidIdo" look, huh? The least Rolen could have done was to hurt himself on the ****in' play. --Leyland

Rjk

Post Number: 537
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really nice article about Marcus Thames and his mother form the NY Times.

JACK CURRY
Published: October 22, 2006

DETROIT, Oct. 21 — Veterine Thames watches the world from a custom hospital bed in the back room of a modest yet bustling five-bedroom brick-and-aluminum-sided ranch in Louisville, Miss. She cannot move her legs, she cannot move her torso and she cannot grasp anything. She has been in this condition for more than 24 years.

But Thames can talk, she can see and she has persevered. She reared five children, mostly on her own, while lying on her back. One of them is Marcus Thames, who plays for the American League champion Detroit Tigers.

Read full Article.
Marcus Thames’s Mother Inspires and Amazes
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10 /22/sports/baseball/22thames.h tml?hp&ex=1161576000&en=b1335b fafdcee339&ei=5094&partner=hom epageBy

Rjk

Post Number: 538
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You gotta give Reyes credit, but I don't think it helped the Tigers hitters to have that much time off.

When a pitcher has his A game there's not much you can do. The Yankees and A's certainly know what it's like to face good pitching. I like the Tigers chances with Rogers going against Weaver. We may have to wait for game two, the weather doesn't look very good for tonights game.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 679
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night's game was full of defensive blunders. The throw away by Verlander, giving Pujols 3rd base... the throwing error and obstruction by Inge allowing another 2 runs in.. and allowing Pujols to open the game up 4-1 early. The 2-1 would have been a lot nicer to play behind than 4-1. Let's hope the bats come alive this evening, and the Tigers are able to play a bit smarter than they did last night. They made the Cardinals look like champions!

Lilpup

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big deal - the same thing, just lesss sloppy, happened in the Yankees opener. Jitters are out of the way now. Tigers were swinging away early in the game but had settled down by the later innings. Pujols is overrated.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Verlander was just aweful...he def cost us the win...

Tetsua

Post Number: 826
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Verlander was entirely to blame, you have to look at the piss poor offense by the Tigers as well. Not to mention there were some ridiculous ... I mean rediculous errors on the part of the Tigers late in the game too.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3926
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'know putting all of the blame on ONE player is as just about as correct as giving all the credit to one player when the team wins. Sure, errors are going to happen but it also takes a strong minded team to make up the runs that might have been given up. I'd like to think that this team has bonded very well over the last few weeks and can try pulling for one another. If they win, it'll be because of the team and if they lose, it'll be because they lost as a team.

I'd like to think that this bunch of guys are special and can pull out a victory tonight.

Ray1936

Post Number: 873
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Open note to Pudge Rodreguiz:

Dear Pudge,

I think you can quit crossing yourself. You are 0 for 19. God's not listening.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3927
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from the game. WOW, talk about masterful again by Rogers. Noen of us knew there was a stink about him and the goop on his hand until we got home but Rogers was dominant. Todd Jones made it interesting in the 9th but beyond that, it was just me and 43,000 of my closest friends enjoying a frosty night at the ball park. It was wonderful seeing Detroit all lit up and pumped like that, but g"Lord... if it was any colder I think Mr. Ilitch might've moved the game to Joe Louis Arena and played it there for the warmth. It was blisteringly cold as the winds swirled and it sprinkled a bit. Hot chocolate & coffee was selling briksly tonight and the ice cream vendor was nowhere to be found.

As far as some of the hitters like Granderson and Pudge not hitting, I'm just glad that the rest of the team is pulling some of their weight right now. Even sure handed guys like Polanco were silent tonight as well. So I'm hopeful that all of them will be coming around soon and all of them can start contributing and having multi-hit nights for the team.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The crowd is definitely NOT what it was in the ALDS and ALCS. Don't know if it is the cold or what, but to those of you at the games, MAKE SOME FREAKIN NOISE!

Seemed half the ballpark was just sitting on their asses. Maybe it is a case of the world series being the place to be, and you get more non-tigers fans who go just to be there, and they take up a larger % than the other series?? Don't know.

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is gonna get so ugly in the media... but f' them, Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are STL loyalists, so of course they are going to try to make Kenny look bad with this whole non-issue.

Why don't we just pitch Rogers all the time? That man is UNSTOPPABLE!

Smogboy

Post Number: 3928
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81- as someone who does attend games and cheers, tonight was just one of the coldest nights I've ever been to for a baseball game ever. It was frigid there and it was just painful at times as that Comerica Park wind swirled around. Even I had to leave my seat a few times (and I generally never do!) to get hot chocolate to revive the feeling in my hands.

Also it was just the second game of the series. The hype or pressure just wasn't there yet. I'd like to think that as we approach winning it all, the noise level will increase despite the weather.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

as someone who does attend games and cheers, tonight was just one of the coldest nights I've ever been to for a baseball game ever. It was frigid there and it was just painful at times as that Comerica Park wind swirled around

How soon they forget Tiger Stadium, it was cold in there until the middle of July.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3930
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've hardly forgotten those days, Psip. I froze my ass off in those rickedty seats too!

There's something to the confines of a ball park that just makes the wind swirl and it just gets bone chillingly cold. And there's really no place to go to avoid the wind and still catch a glimpse of the game either. Such the dilemma, but such the fun of watching a meaningful ball game in October!!!

Naturalsister

Post Number: 847
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I log into my Yahoo home page and guess what the lead story is:

"DETROIT – The point isn't whether Kenny Rogers was cheating in the first inning of Sunday's Game 2 of the World Series.

The point isn't whether it is believable that a pitcher wouldn't notice a huge clump of dirt (if it was that) on his pitching hand. The point isn't even about Kenny Rogers, whose left hand was brilliant both clean and dirty. He's a secondary story here.

Read the rest here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/ne ws?slug=dw-rogers102206&prov=y hoo&type=lgns

later - naturalsister

Naturalsister

Post Number: 848
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW,

I expect this to be a top story on ESPN.com and MLB.com (as it is).

Hey, and on ESPN.com's main page, you can take a poll as to whether or not Kenny Rogers was cheating.

Cool, huh?

later - naturalsister

Smogboy

Post Number: 3932
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smudgegate is such a non-story.

If Rogers was supposedly caught brown handed then why not have him tossed right there & then? And if he did have the opportunity to wash it off after the second inning, where were the Cardinal bats from innings 2 through 8??

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at a Bears' games last year with a game time temp (w/ windchill) at -8 and there was no lack of cheers/noise there. Most people were excited that it was that cold. Although, the Tigers should have given the fans more to cheer about...

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 331
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time Weaver got a hit, we chanted his name over and over. It felt like a Michigan game in that respect, god forbid you start a chant!

Rustic

Post Number: 2847
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yuck!

Smogboy

Post Number: 3943
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carpenter = Detroit pain.

We live to fight on another day.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 850
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am gearing myself up for a 7th game thriller @ Comerica Park.

later - naturalsister

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well St. Louis's best pitcher beat us. I think we have a chance against Supan tomorrow. Lotsa questions about Zumaya though - is he really 100%? Enough with the bullpen meltdowns, let's stop this thing right here.

Eat 'em up Tigers.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3944
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zumaya admitted to people it was just a case of nerves. I think once Leyland got to talk to him behind closed doors, he'll be fine. It's not like Zumaya doesn't know he goofed. It's a correctable mistake and I think Zumaya will come back that much stronger.

My immediate concern is for the cold bats that Polanco, Granderson & Pudge have been demonstrating. I know that Pudge can be streaky so he needs to come back with a vengence. Granderson just needs to manufacture something (bunt himself on or at least draw a walk) to get his momentum back. Same with Polanco. All of these guys who've been somewhat reliable have suddenly decided to cool off at the wrong time. I'm hopeful they can correct it before the series is gone. We need to play as a team again.

Let's tie the series up behind some solid Bonderman pitching and pad him some run support.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently the Tigers left the offense in Detroit after the ALCS. Jesus. And Pudge, oh god.

We play that that 2 more times, it is over.

And yes carpenter pitched his balls off. Pudge nearly lost his. I'll give him credit, but was he that good? I'm not so sure. We couldn't hit worth beans.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that Carpenter only pitched four pitches in one of the innings last night. Is this true? If it is, then Tiger batters didn't work the pitcher. At least take the first pitch. Never could understand why some batters like to swing at the first pitch. If you get out that quickly it kills any momentum.

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank god for the rain-out. It might turn us around like in the Yankees series after rain out
(unless I am losing my mind...wasnt one of those games rained out.) why does Pudge stand so deep in batters box. hes 5'9" and probably less than that...no wonder he isnt hitting

Chitaku

Post Number: 858
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you are correct and hopefully right

Smogboy

Post Number: 3946
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pudge has always stood deep in the batters' box. While on the surface it makes no sense, it's always worked for him. I think his current slump is just mental and hopefully he can pass it before the series is over with.

Look at all of the other goofy stances and quirks that people have as well. Infante's got that wide stance. Casey's got that leg lift. Gary Sheffield's bat swaying. Joe Morgan and his bobbing elbow. Mike Hargrove and his routine. None of these are what we call classic batting poses or routines and yet they work somehow.

Sometimes it's easy to blame the batter or his mechanics but it could also be the result of some amazing pitching as well.

Rustic

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

StL has played 3 virtually perfect games. They won two of them. Can StL continue to play as well as they have been and win two more OR can they play less than perfect and still win?

Detroit has played badly in parts of GM1, the 9th inning of GM2 and parts of GM3. DET CAN play badly and still beat StL.

Chitaku

Post Number: 866
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy don't forget Mickey Tettleton'c classic standing stance.

Rustic

Post Number: 2867
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eeeek

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OUCH!

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 429
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rodney needs to be shot.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uh huh...we're in trouble. :-(

Chitaku

Post Number: 870
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man that was rough, also rough was the Fox coverage, I am dizzy from so many cuts and close-ups. Missed some parts of the game during the conversations with the managers.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Fox really sucks.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No good reason to take Bonderman out. Leland blew this game.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it was a good season fellas

Tetsua

Post Number: 834
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not yet over folks

Smogboy

Post Number: 3950
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The large woman has yet to sing. I'm not about to give up just yet.

But right about now, the Tigers inexperience is starting to show a little bit just with the small mental breakdowns. I'm hoping their pitching will help over come that as opposed to adding to it in the next game. We just have to take one game at a time now. We can't think about "Omigod- we got to win the next three".

Supersport

Post Number: 10800
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1969 WORLD SERIES

GAME 1
Detroit 0
St Louis 4

GAME 2
Detroit 8
St Louis 1

GAME 3
Detroit 3
St Louis 7

GAME 4
Detroit 1
St Louis 10

GAME 5
Detroit 5
St Louis 3

GAME 6
Detroit 13
St Louis 1

GAME 7
Detroit 4
St Louis 1

...and that's all I gotta say about that.

Ray1936

Post Number: 882
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, win or lose, it's been a great ride.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3951
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've been following htis team this long and cheering them every single step of the way so far. I'm not about to give up on them now. If the game gets underway tonight, I'm still gonna be cheering them on- whether it's a victory tonight and we get to fight on for another day or to thank them for a wonderful season...our Tigers are worth cheering about.

Rustic

Post Number: 2872
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey it isn't over yet. Sure StL continues to play nearly perfect baseball and strike effectively at Detroit's miscues ... but can they keep it up for another W? Even if they don't can they squeek out another W? Most likely but ....

Good things about DET yesterday: Good starting pitching (once again). Pudge hit very well and Granderson got a hit too, so that's good. Casey looks to be in a good groove now. They W tonight and then it's Rogers in game six @ home which sounds comforting.

With the rainout messing things up I'll try to make a devil's night game if there is one if my wife doesn't kill me for going. (I've been making quite a few trips back to DET to go to games this post season and I have to be home for Halloween, but I do have a window of opportunity on Devil's night.)

Of course what could possibly be better for a DET Tiger fan than winning game 7 at home on Devil's night!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 471
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We did beat St.Louis 3-in-a row in June!

Fri. 06/23: DET 10, STL 6
Sat. 06/24: DET 7, STL 6
Sun. 06/25: DET 4, STL 1

Keep cheering!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EAT EM UP TIGERS, EAT EM UP

get this one tonight and then bring it back to the loudest icebox in baseball...a raucous Comerica Park with an expected wind chill below 20 degrees tomorrow.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 462
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I learned how throw the ball to the base when I was playing Pinto League in St. Clair Shores.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 273
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is disgusting to watch. Thanks to Chris Duncan though we're still in the game.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That entire series was painful to watch.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3174
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were not even supposed to be watching it.

What a great year! Thanks Tigers!

Smogboy

Post Number: 3956
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No sahme in losing to the Cardinals. They played a solid game tonight and every other night that they beat us. Kudos to the victors.

And to our team, you exceeded any and all expectations. You did us all proud. Thank you Tigers for a wonderful run. We'll expect another run next year and we'll prevail soon.

Rjk

Post Number: 547
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great season, minus the last 5 games. They played like they didn't belong in the WS. This team that had so much composure and confidence through the first two series just seemed to fall apart.

To lose is one thing, but to make fielding errors and base running mistakes that you see in little league is inexcusable.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are so right. It was so uncomfortable to watch. Ugh.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3958
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Experience came into play here. The Cards had been there before. We were realtively young and the fresh faces on the block. We acted nervous and it showed. I think this whole experience for the team will just galvanize them and make them ready for the next time we take this trip to the World Series. We'll be ready next time.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We'll be ready next time.

That was my thought watching tonights game, too. Go Tigers!

Focusonthed

Post Number: 563
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember how this feels. Remember how it feels to be the favorites, and to give it away. Remember all winter. Remember in the spring. And remember with each and every win next year and try to get back again in '07.

Hell of a year. Thanks boys!

Smogboy

Post Number: 3960
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And bravo to Sean Casey for trying his hardest throughout this entire series. Stand up sorta guy whom I hope they'll sign for in the off season (sorry Chris Shelton, you'll have to wait a little longer).

Hysteria

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Remember how this feels. Remember how it feels to be the favorites, and to give it away. Remember all winter. Remember in the spring. And remember with each and every win next year and try to get back again in '07.

Hell of a year. Thanks boys!

Repost this in the spring ... It's worth remembering!

Smogboy

Post Number: 3961
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take what we've learned this series and pack it away. Learn from our mistakes and let's take this ride all over again- with a better outcome.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 467
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy,

Sorry Chris Shelton, but your services are no longer needed.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 200
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said back in March that I'd be thrilled with a 82+ win season. And I still am. Yes we lost the World Series in the weirdest way possible, but step back a second and take in the big picture - our f--kin Detroit Tigers were in the World Series!!!!!!

Thanks for an unforgettable season Tigers. Can't wait for Tiger Talk '07!

Knocturnal

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to be at Opening Day '07, chugging down $10 drafts and eating $20 pizzas. Thanks for the memories Tigers!!!

Knocturnal

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers trade for Sheffield and sign to two year deal. Looks like Casey is out. Share your thoughts.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061110/NEW S99/61110019

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 800
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think he is replacing Casey.

Rjk

Post Number: 563
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers sign Casey, One year contract.

http://www.mlive.com/sportsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/sports-20/1163703012289570.xml&storylist=michigansports

(Message edited by rjk on November 16, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.