Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Balduck Park in the 60s and 70s « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 67.125.189.14
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I included this in a different thread, but it was a litle off the topic. So, I decided to start a new thread.

Back in the very late sixties or early seventies, Balduck Park was a geat hangout for east side kids. We were all hippies then and there was a lot of partying, music, drinking, and pot smoking going on there. Every night for awhile, it was like a mini Woodstock. Finally, the cops couldn't take it any more. They came in and rioted for several nights in a row with many kids getting kicked and knocked about by DPD billy clubs. I narrowly missed getting bonked in the head myself as we ran back to our cars. Eventually they cleared us out permanently and ruined our fun.

Does anyone else remember this?

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 69.136.151.176
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going there and drinking...on the West side of Chandler.

What a great park. Still pass it daily.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2613
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vaguely remember the mini-riots; mostly watching from my bedroom window the police helicopter circling above, and listening to the police on bullhorns ordering you kids (bums) to clear out.

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 69.244.187.44
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Played ball there many of years and some of the Treefrogs still do.
One of the original Frogs

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 491
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha i bet you could do whatever you wanted now

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived by Balduck park until very recently and it is still a great place to be. Used to walk my dogs every night there with my ex-wife. Many others from the neighborhood would met around 7pm or so with there dogs as well. In the winter the hill is still popular with kids from the area and the Pointes for sleading. Ah,,,the memories.....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.