Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Stay classy Detroit Public Radio... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3803
Posted From: 69.209.162.111
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well my former employers have once again shown what classless slugs they are. A little birdie pointed me to WDET's website where, on a page recruiting pledge drive volunteers is a picture of past volunteers with the station's former volunteer coordinator extraordinaire Suzy Bjorkland. A more genuine, dedicated, capable person one could not find. Sadly, volunteers for this week's "Blood from a stone" pledge drive won't find Suzy running the pledge room. She was dumped by the ungrateful scum mismanaging Detroit's public radio station (their names, for those who forgot, are Michael Coleman, Harvey Ovshinsky, and Marla Stone) however, they have no problem using her likeness to pimp themselves.

Much like the way WDET continued to use underwriting spots and announcements voiced by Jon Moshier after they dumped him. Although I can almost not blame them for that...there was no one else left at the station with time in their schedule to re-voice Jon's stuff.

Not the biggest faux pas ever, I'll give you that, but just remember how WDET exploits people they no longer employ when you consider whether or not you wish to donate to the radio station founded by the United Auto Workers.

http://www.wdetfm.org/article. php?page=join_volopp

(Message edited by jelk on June 20, 2006)

Jelk

Post Number: 3804
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

criminal
Convicted Embezzler

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1306
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY, more rants! Get ready for some GOOD reading.

Jelk

Post Number: 3805
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to help...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1127
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"blood from a stone pledge drive" LOL. When does this one end? I just want to know when I can turn the radio back on

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 437
Posted From: 63.69.106.3
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

grind

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1126
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While i must admit, I respect a good rant. Jelk, why do you seem to be so angry at the station? Were you booted by them. I only ask because I don't really know the situation. Please inform me so that I can see if this station is really worth my dime.

Machoken

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Somebody hasn't been paying attention.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nooooo...I just haven't been here.....so yes...I haven't been paying attention. LOL

Rokk_krinn
Username: Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 68.249.60.2
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm mad because their new "news" format was supposed to bring in the listeners, and the dollars would follow. Well - lo and behold - they ran short of their revenue goals. They state that their listenership has increased - but is this the case? Where are the dollars??

I won't give WDET another dime. I cut my usual donation from $75 to $10 with a protest letter, and will just switch over to Michigan Radio until this bull!@#$ pledge drive is over.

World Have Your Say is the worst program ever.

Jelk

Post Number: 3806
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was laid off, laid off while people with less seniority doing the same job were kept on. I was laid off because I spoke my mind and I wasn't Harvey Ovshinsky's son. Them's the breaks, their loss as far as I can tell, but what happened to me is indicative of the way Coleman & Company are running their racket.

Solarflare

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

World Have Your Say is the worst program ever.

AGREED.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohh, now I understand. I see this type off crap is becoming commonplace here in Detroit. I am sorry about their loss. my coworker is a very generous contributor. I am sure she has already stopped or cut her yearly contribution as well. i know last year she probably gave in excess of 2000-3000 to the station. I will see what she is doing this year, thats if she is doing anything at all.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5953
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main,

Suffice it to say that Jelk is energized in his quest for truth and ethical correctness...in the short time I've known him, I both respect his unending pursuit of such...and fear him.

Heh.

One of the few walking encyclopedias I've ever met...especially politically.

Canning him and Suzie were the last straws for me, and this when I finally gave the station a chance AFTER Jelk appealed to my core volunteering self during the spring pledge drive.

I was there, two 6 a.m. mornings in a row, and any of you that know me tangibly understand what type of sacrifice that is for me to see that time of day without an all-nighter behind it.

I DO love what Celeste Headley is doing with that Sunday arts show...and I'm glad beyond measure that she got the morning show nod (sorry Jelk, but you've GOT to admit that she's got the better morning voice)...but damn, pace they have her on is a sure highway to burnout...even for the overachiever self she seems to be. (heh)

I'm still missing the music...while Judy was occasionally stale, and Martin just SO not into the commoners wandering around the station twice a year...I think having Mosier and Penney gone is a blow I still cannot get over. Mr. Love and Liz are doing more than their share to continue my adoration of the station musically, but it might not be enough.

Once I get my TV antenna up, I'll be able to get Ann Arbor's 91.7...then I'll check my listening time and donate accordingly.

Right now?! I'm hanging back on that latest pledge...and cannot imagine attending another pledge drive phone bank without Suzie bouncing around...as much fun as Tim Burke is, I'm sure he's as overworked as the rest of them.

I just get a GRIND whenever I hear that PSA about the current pledge drive where Coleman speaks about doing 'all they could to reduce expenses'...talk about your code speak.

Anyone start a scorecard on his management decisions yet?! I really wanted to like this guy, too...damn you Jelk, you had me sold on him just before they sent you walking.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1036
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I switched my contribution to WRCJ. I wonder how long it will be before Ed Love ends up there with his jazz program.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1596
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One of the few walking encyclopedias I've ever met...especially politically.

And baseball. And random movie quotes. And random TV quotes. And random literature. And literary criticism....

Gannon

Post Number: 5954
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't get me started on that BBC call-in program.

Nothing quite like wading through verbal arguments from people who often cannot understand each other due to heavy accents and dialects or understandably poor learning of our complex language...

...over cheesy phone lines and other technical issues...

...to get to that ONE day of a gem where you hear some American girl learn from a Palestinian one and the light goes off in your OWN head.

They should run this on the internet constantly...not wasting radio time until they can assemble a 'best of' hour of clear and condensed conversation...along with a periodic 'cannot believe what people say' comedy hour critique.

Jelk

Post Number: 3807
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Celeste Headlee's arts show is very good, outstanding even. Leave me make one thing clear, my animus toward WDET stops when you begin talking about the "content" people at WDET. I have nothing but the highest respect and appreciation for people like Celeste, Jerome Vaughn, Joan Silvi, Chuck Horn, Liz Copeland, Ed Love, Quinn Klinefelter, Allen Mazurek, Michael Julien, Matt Watroba, etc, etc and a lot of people whose names you'll rarely hear but keep things sounding great.

Giving people reasons not to financially support the station obviously doesn't help those fine folks and that's a personal contradiction I can't completely balance out in my head except that the current management is so inept, unethical, and repugnant that they need to be exposed. And the future of WDET, in the words of Mr. Murrow, "needs to be debated endlessly"

The real tragedy is, in my opinion - I speak for nobody else - the corrosive management style at WDET will probably lead to a continued exodus of talent from Detroit's public airwaves. I haven’t really talked to any of my former co-workers recently, but if the vibe is still what is was a month ago, the resumes are flying far and fast out of 4600 Cass…

Gannon

Post Number: 5959
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Jelk, but as long as the powers-that-be continue to allow this gutting, the rest will be unfortunately unavoidable.

My guess is that Ovshinsky is power broking a deal to sell that inner-dial location for BIG bucks...he gets his island home in the Cayman's for commission.

I mean, what other motive would the university HAVE for sitting idly by and watching this stuff happen?

You know the individuals you worked with will have NO trouble finding gainful employment somewhere else...hopefully...the true loss will be to the army of listeners WDET has collected over the past couple decades.

Wonder how it'll be taken if it turns out the drop in listenership and donations were NOT corrolated, but simply an odd combination of additional music choices (iPod and Satellite Radio) and tighter economy and higher gasoline prices forcing people to give much less of their personal income to philanthropic endeavors?!

Then the true great tragedy...we lose a Detroit gem that they tried to cut and polish and fit into a pretty mount but merely succeeded in breaking into dozens of dusty pieces.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk, my former coworker has already withdraww from pledging this year due to the happenings at this station. She informed me that she was in line to make a $5000 pledge until the events as of late. She also advised me not to waste my money at this time and watch how this thing unfolds. She said it makes no sense to invest in a ship that is evidentlt sinking.

WOW!!!

I remember a while back my uncle was on the Ed Love show with some of his vast record collection from the yesteryears. I thought it was so cool to hear Ed and my uncle on the radio together.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1579
Posted From: 70.228.2.1
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of talent and the possible exodus of it, is it me or has the news seemed to take a real downturn in quality? It used to be that you'd hear real edited stories with live interviews and sound clips from the newsmaker themselves; sounds/noise to give you a flavor of the person/place/event, etc. being covered; interviews with experts in the area being discussed, etc. In other words you got a genuine radio news experience (like you still hear on MI Public Radio).

Now the folks who used to be doing the beat reporting (Jerome, Celeste, etc.) are the regular on air hosts reading a "news" script over the air in between the local breaks on Morning Edition and All Things Considered. They're just reading stuff that came off the wire, not any different really than WWJ, WJR and other "if it bleeds it leads" stations.

Meanwhile Michigan Public Radio, which I've been listening to a lot since the demise of the great 'DET music programs, has real news that reporters actually were on "the beat" for; was well researched; a Rolodex and years worth of contacts likely went into creating that fair, balanced and real story; a lot of editing time when into creating a logical and quality sequence of interviews, sound scapes and reporting; and it was not off any wire service.

Is the news at 'DET a victim of the same slashing that hit the music programs?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10193
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was brought to my attention that the outback nazi organization Jelk used to work for told him that he could no longer participate on DetroitYes, even during his time off, thus his long absence. This also is the only reasoning he obviously participated on that "other" website, since . The pieces are slowly coming together as of late. Jelk, why didn't you tell us you were working for a bunch of commie bastards over there? I wouldn't have been so harsh during round one of your ranting.

P.S., for the record, is this round 3 now, or is it 4 and I simply missed one?

Gannon

Post Number: 5971
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dare say this is merely still round ONE for our fearless hero...you've just got to stop jumping up for more BEER and restroom breaks!!

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 277
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk, I called yesterday and left a comment on the listener line (didn't want to badger the volunteers, since I used to be one) and explained why my day sponsorship wasn't going to be renewed.

It's painful. One of the folks on the airstaff was my boss for five-and-a-half years. Another married my wife and I in 1992. They are among the best people I know, and it hurts like hell to withdraw my support from something I once held so dear. And the vast majority of the WDET folks I met over the years were a joy to be around.

I tried to send you an e-mail a few weeks back about the whole affair, but it bounced back.

Solarflare

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about getting some news reporters that don't talk like they have a mouthful of rocks? I can't stand to listen to it anymore; turning up the radio way up to hear some mumbling reporter, the self righteous "This I Believe" segment, someone cries at least once a day, hearing stories I already read about on Slate, ugh.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3158
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Vic put it so very eloquently there. It pains me not to donate to WDET anymore either. And it's not like we don't support its music programming, it's just that it seems to have focused on something that I don't listen to as much. The daytime programming just bluntly isn't that unique anymore.

I had pride in the sense that our very own WDET was the envy of most public radio stations because they did have some free form choices in their music selection. I adored the fact that I learned about new music through DJs that didn't play the commercially canned stuff. I can't even begin to count how much music I bought because of listening to WDET.

Awhile back I drove in upstate Washington and heard endless hours of NPR news & talk shows and couldn't help but think that here I am in the Pacific Northwest and my friends back in Detroit are listening to the same stuff as I was thousands of miles away. Don't get me wrong, the NPR stuff is wonderfully done and the content is solid BUT I can get that same NPR feed on other local stations in the Detroit area (WUOM & WEMU). Having WDET carry the same stuff during the day is redundant (I equate it to subscribing to the TV Guide and still looking at the local newspaper for my TV listings).

I find it difficult to support those kind of management choices. And yet I hope that by my lack of support for the overall radio station it doesn't mean I don't support folks like Ed Love, Liz Copeland (who's music selection I admire greatly), Michael Julien, Matt Watroba, & Chuck Horn. It's been difficult to stop caring about an institution that I grew up with but since the change over in format, I've had to go to other venues (internet radio) to get my fix of new & innovative music.

Jelk

Post Number: 3810
Posted From: 68.40.111.105
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow the misinformation Supersport is scribbling. I guess that's another example of stuff on the internet that's not dead nuts accurate.

Vic... jelkforum@yahoo.com

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2733
Posted From: 66.167.210.44
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have nothing but the highest respect and appreciation for people like Celeste, Jerome Vaughn, Joan Silvi, Chuck Horn, Liz Copeland, Ed Love, Quinn Klinefelter, Allen Mazurek, Michael Julien, Matt Watroba, etc, etc and a lot of people whose names you'll rarely hear but keep things sounding great.

Yet in all your bitterness at your dismissal you seem intent on doing all you can to destroy WDET and cause your 'friends' ^^ to lose their jobs too? Is that your goal - to play Samson and bring the whole house down with you?

Jelk, let it go. Move on. You're young, you're bright; you'll do well. Why burn bridges over rivers you may well have to cross some day?

Why try to sink a station you once so strongly supported because of a couple of people you dislike?

Would I like management issue different? Yes. Will I continue to support WDET? Yes.

Jelk

Post Number: 3811
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More condescending advice from Lowell. Blow it out your ass. WDET made its bed and I will say what I want. You don't like it, well its your forum, ban me. Otherwise I will continue to use it as a platform to embarrass and expose Michael Coleman, Harvey Ovshinsky, Marla Stone and their cronies at Wayne State. I really don't give a shit what happens...

Machoken

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, I don't think Jelk can bring WDET down by ranting on this forum (and whatever other platform he's using). The reach of this forum stretches wide, but not that wide.

Solarflare

Post Number: 443
Posted From: 65.112.56.3
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

geez, if you consider that "condescending advice" and respond with crap like "You don't like it, well its your forum, ban me" then, well, let's just say things are starting to add up.

Jelk

Post Number: 3812
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not trying to bring anything down, that was the tired old man's words not mine. What is starting to add up Solarflare exactly? That I can be mean? I'm as guilty of that as Michael Coleman is guilty of embezzlement. Are you suggesting that my response to Lowell's bullshit proves that I wasn't a good employee? There's a file of annual employee performance reviews over at Wayne State that will prove you wrong.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2736
Posted From: 66.167.210.44
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're acting like a spoiled brat. Grow up Jelk. The world doesn't owe you a living.

"I really don't give a shit what happens..." So much for your 'friends' at WDET, I guess.

Supersport

Post Number: 10197
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wow the misinformation Supersport is scribbling. I guess that's another example of stuff on the internet that's not dead nuts accurate.

Well then, if that's the case, then I think your whiney ass should move on and get over it.

Myers
Username: Myers

Post Number: 5218
Posted From: 67.38.2.152
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I really don't give a shit what happens..." So much for your 'friends' at WDET, I guess.

He was talking about his status on the forum nit-wit.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 69.221.68.97
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The moderator's interjections do seem a bit on the paternal side. Everyone in this damn forum, certainly yours truly, enjoys the opportunity to whine, bitch, holler, curse and pout about whatever pisses them off, even when it is entirely self-indulgent to do so. I agree that Jelk has beaten this drum about as much as could possibly be necessary, but every time I raise my head, someone is pressing Jelk for more elucidation regarding a topic on which Jelk has made Jelkself ENTIRELY clear. If you like the phrase "let sleeping dogs lie," I would submit that it helps if you don't poke them every fucking time they start to nod off.

Machoken

Post Number: 1323
Posted From: 68.85.155.145
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jelkself

Good one :-)

Jelk

Post Number: 3813
Posted From: 66.208.233.74
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, am I acting like a spoiled brat? Oh no. I better buck up and become a team player lest horrible things happen to me! Oh deary me, I may never be invited to join the local Optimist Club! The horror! The horror!

I will tell you what is interesting, it seems to me Lowell began taking an interest in my WDET posts (with his rhetorical pats on the head) when I started dropping Harvey Ovshinsky's name. I wonder if there is a reason for that. Maybe that's just a coincidence I don't know.

As for my 'friends' at WDET, Michael Coleman set the rules...every man (and woman) for themselves. I'm sure my 'friends' will do all right in the end, but I am sure they appreciate your heart-felt concern Lowell.

No one owes me anything. This much I will agree with Lowell on. And conversely, I owe WDET exactly the same consideration. In terms of the work I produced for WDET, I was a bargain.

What reason should have to be concerned how my opinions about WDET will affect WDET? I owe the institution no loyalty. And the few people there to whom I owe loyalty will not be harmed by what I have said and written on this subject.

As for moving on, why? I have the free time to spout off on this subject right now without taking time away from the job search and other obligations. I enjoy sparring on this subject. I enjoy that my comments have caused some scowls at 4600 Cass. I see no reason to stop just a bona-fide moron like Supersport can feel more comfortable.

So my jelkself is going to continue beating this Ruffian every time she snorts. :-)

Supersport

Post Number: 10200
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I see no reason to stop just a bona-fide moron like Supersport can feel more comfortable.

Sweet, I'm bona-fide! Plus, why would I feel more comfortable if you stopped? In all honesty I find it hilarious that you, one of the largest critics of the "dear diary" nature of stuff is now finding Jelkself to be the whiney little bitch, called out by many, laughed at behind his back by many more.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 959
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a rumor that Jon Penney will be coming back to the station. Is that possible?

LET JELK HAVE HIS SAY.

Gannon

Post Number: 5991
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought I saw Judy Adams yesterday at Hirts in the Market, with a young fellow wearing a WDET t-shirt...she looked great, but I was surprised to see her with someone advertising the station!

Didn't have the guts to start a conversation, though, she is one of the few people there I only had a passing acquaintance with.

Machoken

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you snubbed her?

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1283
Posted From: 84.162.26.181
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport..."laughed at behind his back by many more." If true, Jelk is not alone.

Gannon

Post Number: 5996
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, snubbed? Hardly, I stood behind her in line and she probably didn't even notice me.

I'm good at stealth existence offline...it's better that way.

Supersport

Post Number: 10203
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon....stealth mode? Did you muzzle yourself or something?

Gannon

Post Number: 6006
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport,

I am well aware of my verbal communication style.

That is one reason I prefer stealth.

Most people, like you, prefer when I stay in my shell.

I do it for you, really.

Supersport

Post Number: 10204
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In your shell...is that we you've been? I've probably bumped into Jams a dozen times since I last saw you out and about. Is that the way its supposed to work, move downtown, hide out in shell?

Jelk

Post Number: 3814
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well they haven't filled Jon Moshier's Saturday night time slot yet so I could see them bringing Jon Penny back.

His wife works for Wayne State at WDET and is a charter member of Wayne State's amen corner at 4600 Cass. A week after the pledge drive, after the then-indicted Michael Coleman was able to drag himself away from a weeklong trip to Disney World to tell us he was going to cut staff, Penny's wife said she was "exhilarated" to see changes. By changes she meant people losing their jobs.

On a related note, I think it is interesting that the whistle blowers who testified against Martin Bandyke were all burned in last month's job cuts. I think Coleman underestimated Bandyke's "star power" and used the staff cuts in part to exact revenge on the honest employees who robbed him of a star he didn't even realize he had.

If there is something, other than a free meal at the Aut Bar, that gives Michael Coleman a hard-on it is perceived star power. He runs WDET like Isaiah Thomas runs the Knicks, get a lot of flashy pieces regardless of how well the overall unit runs.

Gannon

Post Number: 6008
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move downtown, unpack, clean up the space, try to find all the parts to Skulker's turntable...there has been precious little time for drinking and debauchery.

The Vivio's crowd has spotted me a few times...my NEW corner bar in the Market...and I find myself spending a great deal of time down at Bert's, LOVE that live jazz and the personalities that wander through there.

Getting all the way down to the CBD is tough, and once Tommy decided Jams wasn't his late-night pourer there was a long time when I shunned the places on Beaubien Street.

I only go where I'm comfortable, and I'm REALLY comfortable in my loft now. Beer is cheaper, too.

Plus...my dad is not interested in working for me while I play...can I borrow yours?!

Gannon

Post Number: 6009
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa, that is some poignant shit there Jelk.

You sure about your understanding of the meaning behind Penny's wife's statement?! That sounds like assumption, but if you are SURE then I accept it.

Curious that she would gleefully accept even her own husband's cut...unless that gave him some additional time to empty the job jar at home.

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1285
Posted From: 84.162.37.16
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that point goes to Gannon.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 526
Posted From: 4.229.60.85
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm continuing my pledge contributions. The station is an institution that in its own small way contributes to a unique quality of life in Detroit that is too valuable to lose. The station is struggling and needs funding. Jelk may very well be accurate in his vermin-like assessment of Coleman and Ovshinsky, et al, but promoting a financial strangling of the station in order to see their departure is no different than throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I will second the paternalistic "time to move on" unsolicited advice.

I'm troubled by what Gannon said though:

quote:

My guess is that Ovshinsky is power broking a deal to sell that inner-dial location for BIG bucks...he gets his island home in the Cayman's for commission.

Does Ovshinsky have any such financial arrangement. A FOIA request could produce his contract. Ovshinsky's work over the years has contributed a lot to Detroit culture. I hope he isn't capping off his career with a "take the money and run" deal.

Gannon

Post Number: 6012
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That, Swingline, was merely a far-reaching guess as to their motives, and I simply chose him as my point man.

Please do not take my UNeducated guess as anything like reality.

IF it turns out to be anywhere near true, I'll be frightened at myself.

Jelk

Post Number: 3815
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't what her motivation was for the statement, only what the statement was.

I can understand Swingline's position about giving to the pledge drive. I can't quibble with it. Just understand exactly who you are giving to. And I hope those that continue to pledge and volunteer use their support to keep the station management accountable and honest.

(Message edited by jelk on June 22, 2006)

Machoken

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhat off topic, but I've been wondering if Harvey Ovshinsky is related to Stan Ovshinsky of ECD/Ovonic Battery?

Saruthma
Username: Saruthma

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 68.60.160.65
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone hear what sentence Michael Coleman received? His sentencing was in Ann Arbor today sometime after 1:30pm. Haven't seen any reports, yet.

Vic_doucette

Post Number: 279
Posted From: 69.209.159.248
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stan is Harvey's father.

Ravine

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 70.141.77.3
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For clarification: By the way, and I'm completely serious about this, with no snide implication... The reason why I used the term "Jelkself" was due to the fact that, when writing my comment, I suddenly realized that I had no way of knowing Jelk's gender. I think I know, but I don't know I know.

Machoken

Post Number: 1336
Posted From: 68.85.155.145
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Vic, with a name like that I figured they had to be related.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 922
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Male:      X
Female:
Other:

Ravine

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 70.141.77.3
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I thought so, but hey.

Vic_doucette

Post Number: 280
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Justice has been ... NOT served. Scroll to the second story:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20060623/METRO 01/606230346&SearchID=73248545 202935

Machoken

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that on WDET this morning. It was interesting to hear Celeste reporting this story on WDET. She did it eloquently enough, I'll give her that. If you weren't paying close attention you wouldn't know she was talking about her own boss.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3217
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

50 hours community service? Geez, I thought working at a public radio station Coleman was supposed to be doing that already!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 816
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...ordered to pay $3,500 in restitution for a charge of embezzlement of less than $200. Coleman, general manager at WDET-FM (101.9), pleaded no contest May 18 to this reduced charge. In exchange, a felony charge of embezzlement under $20,000 was dropped

in order to be consistent, i think he should have to pay less than $200 in restitution.

Jelk

Post Number: 3819
Posted From: 69.212.33.145
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET's newsroom deserves props for covering the story without influence from the crooks that run the station. If that station has nothing else (and right now it looks like they don't) they have reporters with integrity. Perhaps the people above and outside the news department could learn something from them.

Gannon

Post Number: 6049
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

(and right now it looks like they don't)

Liz and Love somehow lost their integrity by signing on for ten hours of music programming per day...or they simply don't exist to you?!

Still seems a few endangered by collateral damage when you swing that big thing around, Jelk.

I'm re-evaluating my support of the station, too, and conclude that the best way for me to go is to conditionally pay the money along with a letter to Michael Coleman's boss, or bosses...clearly stating that the check or money order cannot be cashed until changes are made.

Who should this letter go to?! You know the chain of command better than an outsider could.

Gannon

Post Number: 6052
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline,

I was searching for something else a moment ago, and stumbled upon the first thread when we discussed the changes as they started happening...Martin leaving the station.

My first post is down some, but as usual way too long and my name is highlighted with the e-mail linking...so it's not too hard to find.

quote:

Gannon

Post Number: 5192
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 8:19 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Ugly.

The article quote Caryn Mathes saying she condoned the policy of trading duplicate discs at used record stores for music the station didn't have in it's collection.

Seems they are walking the thin line of legalistic jargon to eliminate the highly paid talent...I cannot imagine who and what they will be left with when this is done.

I don't know ONE DJ who doesn't take advantage of the access to concerts to further their understanding of the music...that has been going on since time-out-of-mind in the industry. I'm sure the IRS wants that value declared as income, too.

If this is the ONLY reason, then I will no longer support WDET...this will be their death blow, especially if John Penney goes.

Perhaps it is some overall plan to have a commodity to SELL on the open market, one of the treasured middle-dial frequencies.

This stinks.

The conspiracy theorist in me is always searching for the deeper truths...

Gannon

Post Number: 6053
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus, IF there were any 'deal' for anyone to make money on the potential sale, it would not likely be with the university. So your FOIA would probably be a waste of time.

Commercial interests pay much more...and a buyer looking for an 'in' with a tight market could always scheme their way through. Hell, Donald Rrump has made a career of getting his way when everyone else says 'impossible', and NOW he's making apprentices!

Doesn't mean it would work, that would be their gamble.

So their temptation would include a cash deposit, as earnest money, THEN the island if and when their scheme worked out.

But I put NO names to this this time! Harvey O. just stumbled into the crossfire...by conveniently being in the middle of the debacle, I wouldn't know the name if Jelk hadn't spoken it.

Jelk

Post Number: 3822
Posted From: 69.208.116.84
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, I would send you letter to the Wayne State Board of Governors. WDET’s direct supervisor with the University is VP of Marketing Steve Brown but he is a flannel suited oaf. Your words would be wasted on him. I don’t really think President Reid cares much about WDET one way or another. However, I know some members of the Board pay attention to events at 4600 Cass. Ultimately they are responsible for everything at Wayne AND they are elected officials, as such, they are supposed to be answerable to citizens like you and me.

No disrespect was meant to be leveled at the likes of Liz Copeland or Ed Love. However, they didn't travel to Ann Arbor and stare down their boss as he plead to stealing from a public radio station and then report about it on WDET's airwaves. Obviously, that's not their job. But it is the news department's job and they did it well. And I suspect they will pay a price for it. Not directly, because that would be bad form but I'm sure the news department will see a budget request for some new equipment turned down (or some similar punishment) in the near future. That's how Coleman and Company operate.

Given the situation at WDET, my hope for those folks is they all find well-paying jobs elsewhere. Of course, that would be WDET's (and Detroit's) loss but one reaps what one sews be it corrupt and incompetent caretakers like Michael Coleman or apathetic public radio listeners who just wish all this ugliness would go away or at least people like me would stop talking about it.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 950
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Of course, that would be WDET's (and Detroit's) loss but one reaps what one sews be it corrupt and incompetent caretakers like Michael Coleman or apathetic public radio listeners who just wish all this ugliness would go away or at least people like me would stop talking about it."

Strange things are growing in this garden.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.