Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Viewing the Fireworks from Historic Fort Wayne? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thelionking
Username: Thelionking

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 207.148.209.229
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a search in the forum and didn't see anyone mention this, so I thought I'd ask...

Does anyone know if Historic Fort Wayne will be open to view the fireworks downtown? I did this in the past with my family and loved it. It's the best seat in town (without fighting the crowds downtown)!

If not, then can someone suggest a nice place to view them?

30th_street
Username: 30th_street

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did the fireworks thing at Fort Wayne last year and did not enjoy it at all. TOO FAR AWAY for me.
The best place to view the fireworks is from Canada. Well worth the hassle. Plus there is a carnival to keep you busy until the bridge traffic lets up.

7even
Username: 7even

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 198.109.26.18
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know when One Woodward closes? The 25th floor is completely unoccupied. It would be a good spot to watch the works. You could even bring your own folding chair. The windows are a little narrow, but not to bad. I guess you may have to deal with security also, especially if you have the folding chair. ...Also What is the best place in Detroit if you can not make it to Canada?

(Message edited by 7even on June 20, 2006)

(Message edited by 7even on June 20, 2006)

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 275
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my opinion, I believe there is a reason people put up with the hassle of coming right downtown for the fireworks and that's because no other spot can compare to it.

For me, there is no place like being right down in, or across from, Hart Plaza. You have to crane your neck to look up at the fireworks as they explode seemingly right over your head. Also, you can see the reflections in Ren Cen. Additionally, for me, a major factor is the sound of the explosions as they reverberate off the buildings. The anticipation and excitement of the crowd, of which you are a part, adds to the spectacle. It's a blast! Admittedly, it's easier to feel this way if you live downtown and can walk rather than have to drive and park.

Several years ago, while out jogging early on the evening of the fireworks, I noticed a large family group encamped on Antietam, just south of Gratiot. I thought to myself, "These folks must know something." So I stopped to ask and was told that this was a great spot, away from the large crowds to view the fireworks. So that's where my neighborhood crew and I have stood for the last several years. Not as good as Hart Plaza; but only a 3 minute walk back home.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 67.162.216.6
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never watched from Belle Isle, but I would imagine this would be a good view. Anyone viewed from here before?

Thelionking

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 207.148.209.229
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the suggestions! I remember doing the Canada viewing many, many years ago, and it was a lot of fun with a great view and nice people.

My problem is that I have to work in the morning, and I remember getting back from Canada took FOREVER... and that was way before 9/11.

Also, I'd love to go downtown, but my daughter would not be able to handle the waiting and the echoing of the fireworks off of the building.

Does anyone know of a phone number that I can call to find out if Historic Fort Wayne will be open that night?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2726
Posted From: 66.167.210.44
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check these for Belle Isle views. Belle Isle sets up early into a tent city.

https://www.detroityes.com/webisode s/2004/05-summer/064BIfirework sSRAITS.htm

For a panorama fron the point of Belle Isle:

https://www.detroityes.com/panorama s/BelleIslePanoMed.htm

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 216.111.89.3
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched them from Comerica Park at the baseball game last year. The made it a day game this year....probably to reduce traffic.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1781
Posted From: 70.228.2.13
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The urban prarie north of Mack and east of the Chrysler freeway seems like a good spot. As far away as Chene/Warren you get a clear skyline view. It must be good, because Sweetest Heart of Mary Church (Canfield @ Russell) has a big cookout and fireworks viewing party every year.

If you have access to a parking garage in midtown (WSU or the DMC obviously have plenty) or the east riverfront, the top decks would probably be good spots.

There are plently of places to go if you want a panoramic view and the chance to take nice pictures. If you like have the fireworks right on top of you, go downtown.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 197
Posted From: 141.217.46.39
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can't hear the works (we used to broadcast channel 4 on big screen for sound) or see them very well unless you sit at the water's edge

Thelionking

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 207.148.194.249
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Matt Helms of the Detroit Free Press ( http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060626/NEW S05/606260358 )...
'Police are encouraging people to head, instead, to places like Chene, St. Aubin, Riverside and Tri-Centennial parks or Historic Ft. Wayne.'

I still don't know if they will be open, or how much it costs...

Detroitstar

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 35.8.144.6
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be staking my place at the tip of Belle Isle at 7am with my tent, but other people will not be out until at least 8pm after traffic has been closed off. I would assume they would be allowed to walk over...am I correct??

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2356
Posted From: 4.229.81.202
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years back Preservation Wayne reserved some space at Mt. Elliot Park. It was also too far away from the fireworks, however.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 65.42.16.138
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The weather is not looking too good for Wednesday. When do they make a decision on whether or not the show will go on as scheduled?

Thelionking

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 207.148.194.249
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I emailed Matt Helms of the Detroit Free Press to confirm the information he had in his article. This was his reply:

"The fort is opened for the fireworks. If there is a charge, it's generally a per-vehicle fee, probably around $5."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.