Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » WPost Article: Flight of the Middle Class: Dollars trump race « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Capnhook
Username: Capnhook

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 69.136.143.93
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was a very interesting article and I think Detroit is seeing the same thing. I'm not sure if we are overbuilding houses in the metro area like the example of another city in the article. I do think that people are looking for larger houses and are passing by solid nice Detroit neighborhoods for lifestyle reasons.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06 /21/AR2006062101735.html?nav=h cmodule

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4362
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capnhook,

Detroit today is still suffering over the lost middle-income folks. And it all started with the 1st foundation SEGREGATION. follow by XENOPHOBIA, DEMARCATION, FREEWAYS, MALLS, WHITE-FLIGHT, BLACK-CONTROL OF ALL CITY SERVICES, and ECOMONIC FLIGHT. Another symptom is to Detroit's ethnic population from white to black. is due to 25 year exodus of all ethnic Jews who used to lived in Detroit neighborhoods from the Paradise Valley to West Bloomfield TWP. Of course early black communities did tend to moved to other low-income communities of their own race and later when they can used their brains that God give them, they began to move out to middle-income communities just like they moved to Oak Park in the late 1970s, Southfield in the early 1980s, Farmington Hills in the late 1980s of course all the way up to West Bloomfield TWP. Bloomfield TWP. Bloomfield Hills, in the early 1990s. Other Black Detroit families are comsidering move to other middle-income places like Warren, Eastpointe, Harper Woods, Redford TWP. Livonia, Westland, Wayne, Taylor, Romulus, Canton, Clinton TWP, Roseville, St. Clair Shores, Northville TWP, Van Buren TWP, Ypsilanti TWP. And most middle-income blacks are begining to leave behind the their low-income loved one behind, dumping them away to the ghettos like trash.

So far the middle-income white-folks are still living their cookie cutter homes in the suburbs, but the when 5 to 20 black-folks started to move into these areas. They would say, "OH NO! HERE WE GO AGAIN," or a racial action saying, " NOT IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD!" If these hateful words don't work then they would move further out the ex-urban communities where black-folks or ant ethnic minorities would NEVER see their pretty glow faces ever again. So today we still living in nation where these racial codes still exists and soon becomming a invicible law in the United States, creating a offshoot version of the matrix where a society we are living in is a everday constant virtual dream of LIES.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 12.159.32.66
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that was a pretty sweet rant.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1409
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem I see with those codes is not so much the Blacks moving in. It just happens to co-exist at a time that when the Blacks are moving in, Crime is also increasing. Therefore to these people Blacks=Crime, Blacks=Detroit, Blacks=Blight, Here we go again.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3660
Posted From: 68.74.31.233
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn good post, Danny .....

Saw an interesting article while in airport yesterday. It stated that Cincinnati, OH is the loss leader in municipal populations (according to the US Census Agency. So it's not all about Detroit ...... The REALITY is "It's occuring everywhere."

Black-atcha ..... wondering if Rosewood, the Greenwood District and other places of ours would be a metropolis/haven now, if they hadn't been destroyed for their wealth in guise of "white supremacy." Go figure .....

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6168
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd also heard that St. Louis has lost a larger percentage of population than Detroit.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1561
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ironically, word on the street in DC is the same as in the fear-mongering 50s and 60s (and beyond). The only difference is that now, the racial roles are reversed. In gentrifying neighborhoods, a lot of the longtime black residents are worried about white people moving in and "taking over". What gets lost is that the white people are only "taking over" because the current black residents are "selling out" and moving out to the suburbs.

I heard two older men talking about exactly this on the bus yesterday. They seemed upset that so many other black people were upset and blaming the new white residents for the "problem". In fact, they credited the newcomers for being smart with their money and investing in the city. I give those two guys a lot more credit than the bigoted old white men who lambasted and demonized blacks when they moved in to "take over".

It's a shame that people are scared of something as ridiculous as skin color.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's almost equal parts class and race and people tend to forget the power of class in the equation, but race is the catalyst and the provocateur and the real ugly mofo...and it's a super sad commentary. My sister, a white girl who grew up in 1980s and 1990s Detroit and went to public school said whilst in middle school, "The only way Detroit is ever going to get over itself is if a generation of black folks marries a generation of white folks then maybe their babies could work it out..." I always thought there was some crazy insight in that statement.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2680
Posted From: 143.231.249.141
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Middle-class people in Detroit are leaving because they cannot afford poor services and sky-high automobile and homeowners' insurance.

And I don't blame them either! Someone in Detroit should not have to pay $4000 a year in car insurance when it will cost half of that across 8 Mile and Telegraph.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 284
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc, the same thing is occuring in the Uptown and former Cabrini-Green neighborhoods in Chicago, Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn, LIC in Queens, and it already happened in Alphabet City, Lower East Side, and the East Village in Manhattan.

Role reversal indeed. Black flight.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1566
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tell you what, though. At least there aren't black folk picketing in the front yard, chanting, breaking windows, kicking white ass, and setting houses on fire. That's a hell of a lot more than one can say for the working class white bigots who pioneered urban flight in the 1940s and 50s.

Danny

Post Number: 4367
Posted From: 198.111.166.19
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THAT'S WRONG!!!It's Jeff,

St. Louis black population is 52% while its white population is 44% according to U.S. Census in 2004. Detroit still remains one of the top U.S. metropolitian cities with the highest black population of 84.6% black while Detroit's white population is LOSING 9%. It's amazing how SEGREGATION in all American cities can do any white and ethnic race.

Danny

Post Number: 4375
Posted From: 198.111.166.19
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc,

The Last time black-folks in Detroit breaking " SMASH and GRAB" stuff was back in the 1967 riots. At Detroits east side along Mack Rd. from Jefferson Ave. to E. Warren Rd. and from Alter Rd. to Conner Rd. black-folks stormed into the predominately white neighborhoods and burn some their homes down, smash and grab stuff from mom and pop business along Mack Ave and beating white families left and right and trying to creeping up to (Snobbyville) Grosse Pointe Park. in which the GPP Police was fully prepared by blocking all Detroit borders along Alter Rd. and Mack Ave. After the left the Morningside community. most of homes and businesses were either destroyed or vandalized. It's like the Guals sacked Rome in 410 B.C. Now the hood is mostly black and blighted while (Snobbyville) Grosse Pointe Park is snuggly safe and secure. At least some new homes are being built up.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 557
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The housing industry in the Midwest and the Northeast routinely floods local markets with new, ever-larger houses. In greater Indianapolis, more than 27,500 houses were constructed between 2000 and 2004, even though the population grew by only 3,000.

In the process, older houses and many older neighborhoods -- such as McCray's -- have become as disposable as used cars.

Such overbuilding is rampant across the Midwest and Northeast, where the number of new houses -- almost always at the edge of metro areas -- swamped the number of new households by more than 30 percent between 1980 and 2000, according to a study co-written by Thomas Bier, executive in residence at the Center for Housing Research and Policy at Cleveland State University.

"As upper-income Americans are drawn to the new houses, neighborhoods become more homogenous," he said. Echoing the Brookings study, he said: "The zoning is such that it prevents anything other than a certain income range from living there. It is our latest method of discrimination."

For those who question whether sprawl is good or bad. I think this sums it up. What a sad but very truthful article. One can only hope that the move back to the city center's can catch up with the shift to exurbia. I doubt that urban revitalization can keep pace with rampant sprawl but I hope the future proves me wrong. I'll just keep doing my part in my little corner of the city but it looks more and more like Banana Republic America here we come...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 288
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

THAT'S WRONG!!!It's Jeff,

St. Louis black population is 52% while its white population is 44% according to U.S. Census in 2004. Detroit still remains one of the top U.S. metropolitian cities with the highest black population of 84.6% black while Detroit's white population is LOSING 9%. It's amazing how SEGREGATION in all American cities can do any white and ethnic race.

How does your rant prove him wrong? What did itsjeff say that has anything to do with race? St. Louis has lost more population than Detroit, percentage-wise. No one said anything about white/black.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 68.61.161.193
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey danny, ever heard of a thing called grammer, doesnt look like it

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1028
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it interesting that when neighborhoods "go downhill" people generally choose to cut and run. If all the wonderful people in the neighborhood all stayed, the problems wouldn't perpetuate. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy in a way.

The funny thing is that those older communities today were the Carmel, Indianas of the 60's and 70's. There's nothing out there that says that Carmel, IN won't become the poorer, older suburb that the current old burbs are.

The really odd thing is that people always seem to move out. Why don't they move in. I'm pretty sure you can still have high income neighborhoods closer to big cities.

Danny

Post Number: 4384
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7milekid,

Ever heard on participles, gerunds and gerundives mixed in with codespeak? Lots of philosophers tried this technique.

As for the Middle Class in Detroit this guy won't go anywhere but Detroit.

He will defend his home at any cost.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 69.246.123.118
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mlui.org/transporta tion/fullarticle.asp?fileid=15 193

Detroit and Michigan have lost out on loads of money because they can't agree. And back in the late '80's I think Detroit lost a lot of HUD money because they didn't file the paperwork on time. Someone needs to watch the city government and make sure heads roll when this happens.

Danny

Post Number: 4404
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also because there were to many talk!! That they couldn't do any action like filling out the paperwork. Most of Coleman Young's cronies who worked for the Detroit Housing Commission in the 1980s are just LAZY all the time. They just do a little work, clowning and wait til the paycheck rolls in on every other Friday.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.