Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Malice Green Trial questions for a youngster « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 502
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was only 8 or 9 at the time of the Malice Green trial, and although I followed it, like I said I was to young to comprehend. However I was reading about the case on wikipedia. and it said that the case was a bit shady.I'm sorry to bring this up if it is a bad memory for anyone but I'm just curious, if anyone remembers.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 982
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what is so shady. We have a long and treasured custom of beating junkies to death in the city of Detroit and letting the cops who do the killing walk free.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 503
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is considerable controversy surrounding the coroner's report and exact cause of death of Malice Green.

The report was done by Dr. Kahlil Jiraki, the most junior coroner in the department. He was rushed due to workload and his impending vacation. Allegedly, before he started working, a officer told him white cops had beaten a black man, to which he replied, "I got the picture, say no more." He released his results within a day, before toxicology results were in.

The autopsy showed cuts to the scalp as well as subarachnoid hemorrage and brain contusions. However, there were no skull fractures, no other bone fractures, and no brain swelling. Green's heart was enlarged and the arteries hardened. Toxicology results ultimately showed that Green had a cocaine level of .50 micrograms.

Jiraki concluded that the death was caused by blunt force trauma, which caused swelling of the brain. Jiraki testified in Budzyn and Nevers' trial that the damage was done by "14 blunt force trauma blows to the head." He stated that his boss, Dr. Bader Cassin, agreed that Green’s drug consumption was as "insignificant as the color of his eyes" as the cause of death.

However, Jiraki confirmed under cross-examination that there was no swelling noted in the report, nor no fractures to the skull. It was later revealed that Jiraki made no incisions in the brain to check for swelling. In the trial of Sgt. Douglas, Jiraki reduced the number of blows to seven (which fit with Nevers’ testimony). And, at Nevers' second trial, Dr. Cassin testified that he examined the body the day after Dr. Jiraki made his examination (this second exam was never disclosed to the defense prior to, or during, the first trial) and that drugs played a major part Green's death.

After the trial, Jiraki sued the coroner's office, claiming that he was pressured to alter his findings by his superiors to change his findings to state that cocaine contributed to Green's death (which he refused to do). He was awarded $2.5 million by a jury. He was fired due to mental instability and absenteeism, and indeed, Jiraki was unable to testify at Butzyn's second trial due to mental illness.

Dr. Jiraki's testimony was supported by the prosecution's paid medical expert Dr. Michael Baden. Baden was regularly a paid expert, including in the O.J. Simpson trial, as well as many other high-profile trials. After the trial, Baden allegedly told a pathologist’s conference that he came to his conclusion based on information surrounding the circumstances of Green’s death, and not entirely on facts in the exam.

Budzyn and Nevers' defense presented three experts, one of whom stiplated that they identified eleven blunt-force injuries to Green's head. However, they testified that Green’s head injuries were entirely "superficial" and "could not have caused his death." They noted that Green had no fractures, no significant bleeding or bruising of the brain, and no swelling of the brain. It was their opinion that Green died as a result of cocaine and alcohol abuse, combined with his physical struggle with police as he resisted arrest, and the minor head injuries. They stated that these things, in combination, caused a surge of adrenaline which overloaded the electrical circuits in Green’s brain resulting in brain seizure, respiratory failure, cardiac arrest and death.
[edit]

Legal Proceedings

Stanley Knox, Detroit's Chief of Police, denied the all officers involved a Police Board of Review and refused to hear their side of the story, firing or suspending without pay all 7 officers at the scene. Knox openly compared this incident to the Rodney King incident in LA.

The City of Detroit paid a civil agreement of 5.25 million to Malice Green's family before the criminal trial of Budzyn and Nevers began. The reason given by the city attorney was that "a generous settlement might spare the city the riotous violence that racked Los Angeles after the acquittal of the police officers."

Officers Nevers, Budzyn, Robert Lessnau, and Freddie Douglas were charged in the death. Ultimately, charges against Sgt. Douglas were dropped, and Lessnau was acquitted of assault.

Budzyn and Nevers' trial, by most accounts, was not held in good order. The judge announced publically that there would be no change of venue before such a request was made. The coroner did not disclose the second exculpatory report to the defense. Most of the prosecution's witnesses were drug dealers, prostitutes, etc. The Apeals ruling noted: "...the civilian witnesses all had either consumed alcohol or cocaine sometime before witnessing the exchange, three of them were friends with Green (Fletcher, Hollins, and Pace), and there was some suggestion from their testimony that they had reason to dislike these officers."

Budzyn and Nevers were not given separate trials, but were allowed separate juries. On one, a high-ranking local NAACP member sat on one jury during the trial, adding suspicion to the circumstances surrounding the officers' convictions, possibly due to a less-than-truthful voir dire. Both juries were almost entire composed of black citizens. During this time, movies were provided for the juries' entertainment, including the movie "Malcolm X," during sequester. "Malcolm X" depicts police brutality by white policemen including the beating of Rodney King, plus a voiceover that claims white cops are the descendants of the Ku Klux Klan and makes a direct reference to "the streets of Detroit." The juries watched the video on at least two occasions towards the end of the trial.

The testimony of the responding EMTs was very damaging to Budzyn and Nevers. They all testified that Green was covered with blood and was hanging from the driver's side door when they arrived. These witnesses said that Nevers struck Green in the head with his heavy police flashlight repeatedly even though Green was not offering any significant resistance. Two of them stated that Nevers told Green to open his hands and hold still, and that, when he did not, Nevers hit him with the flashlight. They described Green as "dazed" and "stuporous" during the incident, saying that Green was uttering only a few words like "wait" while Nevers was striking him.

Both officers were convicted of second-degree murder.

this is what i read

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1374
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the cops side...here is a link to the Nevers and Budzyn website:

http://www.larrynevers.com/

I'm sure that a Google search will yield several websites to provide information from one perspective or the other.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 984
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately you can't ask Malice Green, he was beaten to death by a pair of cops.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2229
Posted From: 69.14.135.95
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And being under the influence of drugs and alchohol had nothing absolutely nothing to do with it.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 419
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Unfortunately you can't ask Malice Green, he was beaten to death by a pair of cops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M alice_Green

"Initially the coroner's report stated that Green died of blunt force trauma to the head. This report was widely circulated by the press, and is still commonly believed today.

A subsequent report stated that Green died of heart failure, caused in part by an enlarged heart due to years of substance abuse, aggrivated by the struggle with police."

And who initiated the struggle with police? That's right, Malice Green. Malice Green who was coming out of a crackhouse with a crackvial in his hand. Malice Green who was already high on crack and booze when the officers approached him. Malice Green who resisted arrest and fought with the officers. Yes, it was wrong of Nevers to hit Malice Green in the head with his flashlight and he should have been punished for it, but I'd say that the responsibility for Malice Green's death was 85% Malice Green and 15% Officer Nevers.

Striking Malice Green in the head with a flashlight is a felony assault. Officer Nevers would have done about 2-3 years in prison and permanently lost his job and his chances of ever being a cop again. I think this would have been a fair punishment since Malice Green's death was due in large part to the fact that his heart gave out due to years of cocaine abuse.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3675
Posted From: 68.74.31.233
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku: don't know if you're sincere or not; but call the office of Mrs. Sharon McPhail-Snead (Mayor's Office-Law Dept.) for the real info or the office of the Wayne County Prosecutor, Kim Worthy. Sharon brought the charges and Kim prosecuted the case. Their info is worth 1000 times the OPINIONS and misinformation you'll get up-in-here and from press clippings. But of course, as OldRedfordette stated ..... ya can't ask Malice Green!!! Go figure ....

Black-atcha .....

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2231
Posted From: 69.14.135.95
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point.

Getting a straight answer from an addict is always difficult to get.

K8cpachuck
Username: K8cpachuck

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 68.40.45.171
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bah, just another dead junkie, I say...

Of course, I think Detroit ain't been worth a crap since Roman Gribbs left office in 1973. We need another white Mayor in Detroit, to straighten the crap out there. Put the stress unit back in, fix things up.

I know, wishful thinking. I oughta run, I'd send all 'em packing back to mexico, africa, and everywhere else they're from.

*evil grin*

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 68.61.161.193
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you wouldnt have been able to ask malice green even if he were alive because he would have been too cracked out to understand what you were trying to say to him, like the time police told him to open his hand and he didnt.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 989
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. He really deserved to be beaten till dead, cause he was high. Also the deaf guy with the rake.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 68.61.161.193
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

noone said he deserved to be beaten to death for being high. he died from heart failure due to drug abuse, and was beaten for resisting arrest and assulting police officers.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1609
Posted From: 70.228.2.1
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Malice Green's life was worthless according to folks up here I guess I'm glad that two cops (who are supposed to know how to handle situations with unarmed people like Mr. Green without killing them), went crazy and smashed his head over and over again with flashlights made out of aircraft aluminum holding 6 D Cell batteries each. That sure shows a lot of professionalism on the cops' part. I'm sure getting smashed in the head over and over again while restrained on the ground had nothing to do with Malice Green's death.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3678
Posted From: 68.74.31.233
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read it and bring the hate, as usual!!

quote:

Council hears stories of terror in Southwest Detroit

By Diane Bukowski
The Michigan Citizen

DETROIT — Two white Detroit police officers from the Southwestern District have conducted a reign of terror, involving public rape, beatings, and frame-ups of Black males, according to testimony given June 6 to the city council and interviews with The Michigan Citizen.

The officers are Michael Osman and Michael Parish, who work the afternoon shift. The two are known in their far southwest side neighborhood as “The Booty Boys” and “Starsky and Hutch,” according to four of their alleged victims, who testified at council.

“I witnessed the assault on Byron Ogletree,” Leslie Kyles told the council regarding the most recent incident. It involved the arrest of a River Rouge resident May 31 in front of the Sav-A-Lot store at Schaefer and Beatrice.

She said she filmed what she could of the incident from a distance, on her camera phone, as a large crowd gathered.

“They had him out of the car, he was saying, no, no, no,” Kyles told the Citizen. “One officer said, ‘He’s got a weapon,’ repeatedly, but the other said, ‘No, I don’t have it.’ Then one officer drew his gun and said ‘I’m going to shoot you, and the other said ‘Shoot him, shoot him, shoot him.’ They hit and sprayed him and wrestled him to the ground, and pulled out a blackjack and beat him in the knees.”

Kyles said the officers then handcuffed the prone Ogletree.

“They pulled his pants down, and dug in his butt with his underwear still on, then they pulled his drawers down and opened up his butt,” she recounted.

Kyles said that a commander and “seven or eight” police cars arrived, filled with other white officers, but the beating continued, with an officer elbowing Ogletree and kneeing him in the chin.

At this point, she said, the crowd was converging on the officers, yelling, “Rodney King, Malice Green, Budzyn and Nevers, Starsky and Hutch.” Malice Green was killed in 1992 by Detroit police officers Walter Budzyn and Larry Nevers, who were also known as “Starsky and Hutch.”

Kyles said that during the event, she witnessed one of the officers remove a sack that appeared to contain drugs from under the squad car before patting Ogletree down, and take a gun from the back seat of the squad car to use as the weapon supposedly possessed by Ogletree.

Ogletree was arraigned June 5 on charges of delivery of a controlled substance less than 50 grams, one count of attempting to disarm a peace officer of his firearm, two counts of disarming the officers of their collapsible batons, and two counts of “assaulting, resisting and obstructing” the officers. The charges carry a total of 37 years in prison as possible penalties. The felony complaint identifies Osman and Parish as the arresting officers and alleged victims.

Ogletree is 40 with two children, lives in River Rouge, and works as a car mechanic. He testified briefly at the city council session, saying that Osman and Parish pulled him over for a cracked windshield and told him, “This is what we do to everybody we stop,” before searching and beating him.

Ogletree told the Citizen he asked the officers, “Search me for what?” He said he was not in a drug-infested area, and no one was approaching him as if to buy drugs. He said he was bleeding from his legs after the arrest, and was taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital, and then to the Northwestern District, where an evidence technician took pictures of his injuries.

Ogletree’s defense attorney, Daniel Reid, deferred comment on the case until after his client’s preliminary examination, which is scheduled for June 14.

Melvin Shields, Jr. told a similar tale of horror to the city council.

“Michael Parish and Michael Osman pulled me and two other gentlemen out of the car, claiming it was for a dangling ornament,” said Shields, who is 20. “They handcuffed me and my friends and strip-searched us outside, then they took us in.”

Shields told the Citizen that the incident happened in the beginning of March near Gleason and Beatrice. He said the officers searched his car without permission.

“They didn’t find anything,” Shields said. “They put my friend on his bad knees, and he started complaining. Then Parish looked at Osmond and told him ‘Go to the trunk.’ He pulled out rubber gloves. I was the first one he came to. He pulled my pants down and put his finger in me, and he was fondling on my genitals. He did that to my friends as well.”

Shields said he works for a cable company contractor. He faces a charge of possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver as a result of the incident.

Marcon Green, 29, told the council he filed a complaint with the Chief Investigator’s Office of the Detroit Police Department regarding his arrest.

“Michael Osman and Michael Parish pulled me over because they claimed my passenger didn’t have a seat belt on,” Green said to the council. “They took him out of the car, along with his 15-year-old daughter. They made her put her hands on the car and then started feeling all on the back of my behind. They did they same to my friend, right in front of his daughter.”

Green told the Citizen that the incident happened in mid-May at Schaefer and Annabelle, saying further, “I was sexually molested, fondled in between my buttocks, and they handled my genitals several times, over and over again. Then they threw me in the back seat until they ran my name and let me go.”

Green said he works as a dry wall contractor in a small business known as Jack of Trades. He said he had not heard anything from the Office of the Chief Investigator in response to his complaint by the time of his council testimony.

Devon Windom also works for Jack of Trades, as a plumber. He said Osman and Parrish stopped him as he was walking down Gleason in mid-May, and asked him if he was selling drugs. He said he told them “no.”

“They told me to put my hands on the car and searched my pockets, and when they couldn’t find anything, they put me in the back seat of their car. They got their rubber gloves out, pulled down my pants and checked my buttocks, and they flared up my hemorrhoids.”

He said he was not charged with anything, and is in the process of filing a complaint about the incident.

The men said that they have spoken to many others in the neighborhood who have been similarly accosted by Osman and Parish. In a separate interview, a barber who also witnessed the Ogletree incident said he and his nephew were stopped by the pair and molested in separate incidents, and that many of his customers have told of similar experiences with the two officers.

The barber, who asked not to be identified, said, “This is just like slavery times.”

Councilwoman JoAnn Watson, who sponsored the men’s testimony, was joined by other council members in calling for an immediate investigation of Osman and Parish, and demanding prompt follow-up reports from Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings.

Mewonders why no comments or articles by the major media?? Not even the June 14th trial coverage..... Shades of the Malice Green case???

Black-atcha .....

(Message edited by Rasputin on June 25, 2006)

K8cpachuck

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bah.... if they'd stay outta the area, they wouldn't have been pulled over. fine cops doing thier jobs I say... gotta keep them thugs in Check...

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 422
Posted From: 65.185.132.134
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Malice Green would have survived that encounter with the DPD if he had cooperated with the police officers. Yes, he would have gone to jail, but he would have had his day in court, where peaceful societies settle guilt and innocence. The result of this highly polarized controversy was the further emasculation of the DPD, and a general "go ahead" signal to any criminals that they are free to do as they please, and the DPD will look the other way.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah k8cpachuck, it's their fault for driving near their home.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3036
Posted From: 68.73.59.28
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"where peaceful societies settle guilt and innocence."

You assume America is a peaceful society.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4410
Posted From: 141.217.174.192
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K8cpachuck,

You may get your chance when Jeffrey Fieger runs for mayor in 2009.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 24.145.154.7
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't ask Malice Green. And now you can't ask the star witness "Red-bone". She testified against B&N in first trial. She died of OD couple months after sentencing.

Noone is saying Malice Green deserved to die. Just saying he bore greatest responsibility for his death by resisting arrest and years of drug abuse.

I don't know if the mural is still painted on the bldg 23rd & Warren. Sad, when society looks for heroes like Mr. Green, when there are plenty of succesful role models to come out of the D(Dr. Ben Carson, David Alan Grier, Vondie Curtis Hall, Dr Ken Burnley, etc.)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1411
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman Young was scared shitless that Detroit was going to riot similiar to LA. Even going on National TV and calling the officers murders immediately after the event.

Witness were coached and mentioned that the area was lite up by a dome light that was not operational.

A coroner who was under investigation for fraud.

The list goes on and on and once the media got the story and twisted the facts it just spun out of control.

The trial and the events of the night were shady. Everyone jumped on this story for either national exposure or community stature.

It was and continues to be an ugly night in the history of Detroit.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6191
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman Young was scared shitless that Detroit was going to riot similiar to LA.

That brings up the remarkable fact that Detroit was the only large American city that didn't have a "Rodney King riot."

K8cpachuck

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quoting Danny:

"K8cpachuck,

You may get your chance when Jeffrey Fieger runs for mayor in 2009."

Him Mayor?!?!?!? BWHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA!

That moron can't even run his own friggin' law office... what makes you think HE could run that city...

Again I say....BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA!

K8cpachuck

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Further more....

He'd never get elected! Them brothers ain't gonna vote for no "cracka" to get back in office in Detroit. You must be joking! Detroit is black owned and black ran, has been since 1973. and will be until the return of the Lord... AKA Rapture of the Church.

Nuff Said on that.

-Chuck

Danny

Post Number: 4436
Posted From: 141.217.84.90
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K8cpachuck,

Don'tbet on it. Black-folks in Detroit will soon get its white mayor. This white candidate must build his or her principles within the black Detroit ghettohoods. Then he or she will get some black votes. It could happen. Years from now. Even Hanson Clark may run for mayor of Detroit again.

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 136.181.195.84
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Refordette Quote: I don't know what is so shady. We have a long and treasured custom of beating junkies to death in the city of Detroit and letting the cops who do the killing walk free.

Just how many incidents constitutes a "custom". What and when were the other occassions this happened?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 537
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't condon killing a crack head but has anyone seen a crackhead when they are high? man that's some super human strength right there... who knows what really went down.

Danny

Post Number: 4451
Posted From: 141.217.84.90
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a close call from the offshoot to "RODNEY KING" I don't want to see another 1992 race riot started from Warren and 23rd to all over Detroit's Ghettohoods and the suburbs. I'm glad those 2 WHITE Detroit KKKops got what they deserve JAIL TIME!!! from such a horrible fatal crime. They should have just arrest the man and take time to prison. That's all. No police brutality at all.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 430
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny--there is such a thing as resisting arrest. Malice Green did everything but go peacefully. Here's a refresher course for all y'all

http://www.2funnyvideos.com/ce lebrities/chrisrock.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.