Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Joy Hakanson Colby & the Detroit art scene « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3228
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a nicely written article by herself about herself, Joy Hakanson Colby mulls over the Detroit art scene- its past, some of its present and some thoughts about the future. She also goes on and talks about her start at The News and laments how the arts coverage in this town is so lacking now.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=9335

I remember how fondly I used to read her articles in the paper because she always had an eye and an opinion about art. I didn't always agree with her and sometimes I thought she omitted or glanced over certain shows but I'm sure a lot of people did the same and yet still give her the utmost respect for her views. As she gets ready to move to St. Louis to be closer with her family I wonder how many Detroiters even know who this bright, witty and charming person is.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1379
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A wonderful retrospective look at what Joy Hakanson Colby has experienced in covering the Detroit art scene for some 60 years. She has contributed much!!! Her book Art and A City: A History of the Detroit Society of Arts and Crafts is a definitive look at how our city's artistic culture developed during the first half of the 20th century and lead to the rich cultural art we enjoy today, however underpublicized and underrecognized. Best wishes to Joy in her retirement as she spends time with her family.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 545
Posted From: 12.214.88.193
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link smogboy, and thanks to Joy for her years of service and writing. All the best.

It's too bad the local fishwraps don't participate in more coverage of the "creative class", when that is what supposedly will "save" the City. It sucks what all news has become, negativity and celebrity; no wonder the majority of Americans are so F-ed up.

Interesting aside from her article; how could anyone dragging a two-ton boulder across a lawn be condsidered an artist? Do the lawn jobs we provided our neighbors with as teenagers make us artists? Heh, hardly.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3229
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think knowing that the arts coverage deemed not worthy by the local fishwraps says something about our mentality as a community here. There are so mnay vibrant and talented people here in the area willing to make it worthwhile & livable and yet it goes unnoticed in the papers.

If you were a person in another town considering moving here and wanted to get an idea of what goes on in this town by picking up a copy of any of the Detroit papers, you'd think we really were devoid of art and culture based upon their feeble coverage. Joy's opinions & coverage will be missed and what's really sad is that there seems to be no need to replace that voice in the media community.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The crowning achievement in my Detroit art career (very brief!) was Joy Hakanson Colby mentioning my painting as a "highlight" in her review of a large group show I was in. Her observation was life-changing. From that point, it became clear to me that words were more important than art. So, I went on to make my living as a writer. Thanks, Joy! (I still have that painting, rolled up in the basement.)

Smogboy

Post Number: 3273
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww dogonnit Downtown_dave, you've got us all curious as to what the heck it was you painted now! If it was such a life changing experience, c'mon, c'mon...let us see! Post it! We would love to see what piece it was that Joy reviewed of yours!

And turned you into a writer instead of a painter (that a good thing or a bad thing for the art community?).

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6174
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To those who know me, the answer is "no."

Smogboy

Post Number: 3275
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to those of us that don't know you, Itsjeff... we didn't realize there was a question to be answered on this thread!

Cryptic to say the least!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6175
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But if ya knew me, it'd make perfect sense : )

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1359
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the honor of being one of the people offering comments at the celebratory dinner for Joy on July 11.

Joy's comments about my work over the years, starting with work done not long after getting out of school, always instructed me and made me feel like a valued member of the arts community.

I dont know what we are going to do without her. The daily newspapers around here are totally misguided about the amount of coverage they give the visual arts. They have all but hamstrung the writers they have. The blogs and web magazines are great, but somehow the cachet isnt the same.

An era is truly over.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1360
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could study the history of Detroit Art just by going through the archives and reading the writing of Joy Hakanson Colby and Marsha Miro.

Might be a good idea for someone to compile these articles into a book.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3308
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure between their writings it'll probably read like a Who's Who of Detroit artists. What wonderful artwork these writers must've seen over the years. And for those of you who are lucky enough to have been mentioned & critiqued (good or bad) in an article, I'd consider it a high honor. Congrats to all and I can only wish the very best for Joy. She truly was of a different & kinder era toward arts & culture in the area.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.