Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » What did the five fingers say to the face? WSU Campus Watch « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 478
Posted From: 69.209.135.77
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All Wayne State University Students, Staff and Faculty,

In This Issue:

1) May 2006 Campus Crime Stats
2) May 2006 Campus Crime Summary
3) Rapid Response + AED = Life Saved

------------------------------ ------------------------------ ---------------

1) May 2006 Campus Crime Stats

- Crimes Reported on the Wayne State University Campus -

May 2006 Jan-May 2006 Jan-May 2005

Homicide 0 0 0

Forcible Sex Offense 0 4 1

Non-Forcible Sex Offense 0 0 0

Robbery 2 4 6

Aggravated Assault 1 5 3

Burglary 8 44 69

Larceny 28 205 283

Vehicle Theft 0 11 13

Arson 0 1 1

2) May 2006 Campus Crime Summary:

ROBBERY: On May 16, 2006 at 8:20pm, a WSU staff member reports she was working in her FAB office when an unknown male subject entered and asked her where where he could find "security". The subject then punched the staff member in the face, took her purse (containing her wallet) and her cell phone and fled the office. The victim was not seriously injured.
On May 17, 2006, (less than 12 hours after the incident) WSUPD Investigators, monitoring activity on the Complainants stolen credit cards, responded to a gas station in Highland Park where one of the stolen credit cards was being used "in-progress" at one of the gas pumps. On arrival at the gas station, Officers observed (and subsequently arrested) four subjects who were fueling two vehicles with one of the victims stolen credit cards. Other stolen credit cards, including others belonging to the WSU staff member, were found in the possession of one of the arrested subjects.
On May 18, 2006, the Complainant positively identified one of the arrested subjects as the person who had robbed her in her office. That subject has been charged with multiple felonies, including Robbery Not Armed and Possession of Stolen Credit Cards. He is identified as Armor Turner, 56 years of age. He has no WSU affiliation. He is presently lodged in the Wayne County Jail, under a high cash bond, as his case proceeds through the court system.

On May 24, 2006, at approximately 1:45pm, 18 year old female student reports she was walking on the east side of the Music Building when she was approached by an unknown male subject who told her not to scream. The subject stated he had a gun (although none was seen) and asked for the students cell phone, which she surrendered. The subject then asked for the students purse. The student, hoping to attract the attention of numerous passersby who were within earshot, began to protest, almost shouting to the perpetrator. The subject became nervous about all the attention he was drawing and fled on foot northbound on Cass Avenue, with the students cell phone. The student was not injured. The subject was described as a black male, 30's to early 40's, approx. 5'6" tall, skinny build with defined high cheek bones and dark brown complexion. He was last seen wearing a red puffy hat turned backwards, black winter weight jacket, beige khaki pants and carrying a large tan leather bag.

AGGRAVATED ASSAULT: On May 27, 2006, at approximately 3:00am, two WSU students reported they had just witnessed the assault and kidnaping of a female WSU student by her former WSU student boyfriend at the rear of the University Tower apartment building at 4500 Cass. The witnesses stated that they were helping the victim move her belongings out of the former boyfriends off-campus apartment and into the University Towers (UT)apartment building when the former boyfriend suddenly appeared and forced his way into the former girlfriends car. He then physically assaulted her and drove off in her car with the former girlfriend still inside. The incident ended about 90 minutes later when the vehicle was spotted, by Livonia police officers who had been alerted by WSUPD, pulling into the driveway of the boyfriends parents home in Livonia. The female victim was not seriously injured.
The former boyfriend was arrested and has been charged with multiple felonies, including Kidnaping, Auto Theft, Aggravated Domestic Violence and Malicious Destruction of Property. The case is now proceeding through the Wayne County court system.

BURGLARY: Eight incidents of Burglary, Attempted Burglary or Entry Without Force, to campus buildings were reported during May 2006. The buildings involved were: Media Services (2 incidents), Old Main (3 incidents), the Prentis building and the Law School (2 incidents).

VEHICLE THEFT: One vehicle was reported stolen from a WSU parking facility during May 2006. In that incident, a 2001 Ford Focus 4 door was reported stolen from the rear of 5425 Woodward on May 24th.

Near campus vehicle thefts, reported to WSUPD during May 2006:

May 3rd Lodge SD north of Merrick 1994 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup
May 9th Front of 3901 John R 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass 4 dr
May 15th W. Warren near Trumbull 1996 Ford Taurus
May 18th W. Forest w/o Second 1999 Toyota RAV 4
May 27th St. Antoine n/o Canfield 1999 Ford Explorer
May 31st W. Warren at Lodge 1993 Plymouth Acclaim

3) Rapid Response + AED = Life Saved:

On May 25th 2006, at approximately 11:25am, WSUPD Officers responded to a reported single vehicle auto accident on westbound Warren just west of Woodward, directly in front of the Welcome Center. The Officers arrived within seconds and found a yellow taxi cab resting partially up on the center median. The 66 year old male cab driver was found unconscious and slumped over the steering wheel. A quick medical assessment determined he was not breathing and had no pulse. Officers removed the cab driver from the vehicle and onto the roadway where Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) was initiated. Officers, using an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) from one of the scout cars (all WSUPD scout cars are equipped with an AED), delivered two successive electric shocks, as the AED specified. A passing ambulance stopped to assist the Officers and, once the patient was stabilized, transported him to Detroit Receiving Hospital where he arrived alive, but in critical condition, wher!
e !
!
he was diagnosed as suffering from a heart attack.
According to the lone taxi cab passenger, who was sitting in the back seat of the cab at the time, the cab driver was acting normally as he drove his passenger westbound on Warren from John R. As the vehicle approached Woodward Avenue, the cab driver suddenly slumped over the steering wheel. The rear passenger leaned up and over the front seat, and steered the cab to a low impact crash into the center median.
The taxicab driver has since undergone successful heart bypass surgery and is expected to make a successful recovery.

Real life serious medical emergencies, like the actual event described above, often happen with little or no warning. Are you prepared to handle a medical emergency, involving a stranger or loved one?

In November 2005, the American Heart Association changed the recommended ratio of "chest compressions to emergency breaths" used during CPR. If you are CPR trained and unfamiliar with the new recommendations, or would like to receive CPR or Emergency Cardiac Care (ECC) training, please visit the American Heart Association web site at www.americanheart.org for more information.

Persons wishing to learn important first aid skills, including Basic First Aid, CPR and AED training can contact their local American Red Cross or go to either the Red Cross web site (www.redcross.org) or the American Heart Association (www.americanheart.org) where you can enter your ZIP code to find a training location nearest you.

As always, we welcome your comments, questions, suggestions and concerns. Send them to us, via email, at campuswatch@wayne.edu

Crime Prevention Section
Wayne State University Police Department
76 W. Hancock
Detroit, Mich. 48201
EMERGENCY phone: (313) 577-2222
Non-Emergency: 313-577-6057
e-mail: campuswatch@wayne.edu
web site: http://www.police.wayne.edu

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 417
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU police kick ass, they do a damn fine job. The blurb about them tracking down the woman's stolen credit cards and arresting the perps who were using them at a gas station in Highland Park really highlights what a good job WSUPD does.

On a sour note, it's alarming to see how their crime rates are WAY up for this year. The year is only half over and they already have had more sex assualts and aggrevated assaults than last year. Larceny, burglary, auto theft, and robbery are also way up compared to this time last year.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 372
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big props to all the people involved with the cab driver, great outcome.

In the first one listed the perp was charged with a robbery without a weapon. In the second one the person said he had a gun. Anyone know how the law looks at this? Could this person be charged with a crime with a weapon just based on the fact that he said he had one on him?

Warriorfan

Post Number: 418
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone know how the law looks at this? Could this person be charged with a crime with a weapon just based on the fact that he said he had one on him?

Absolutely 100% yes. If the bad guy presents himself as having a weapon, even if he doesn't, it is still armed robbery. The threat of a weapon is enough according to the Michigan Compiled Laws.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3673
Posted From: 68.74.31.233
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If those reports are true ..... WSU Kops ain't schitt!!! There is NO SIGNIFICANT reduction in so-called Crime.

But there is a signifcant increase in WSU Kop car sightings of being parked in driveways of homes surrounding WSU for long periods of time. Are they hiding or playing? Go figure .....

Black-atcha ....

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 141.217.173.118
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work and have class in the Faculty Administration Building (FAB). In fact, I was in class on the 3rd floor when the robbery was occurring on the 4th floor. Since then, the building has been under tighter security and has officers in it during all hours.

I didn't realize that the criminals were caught, but that's a great ending to the story.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1116
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

surprising ages of the vehicles being stolen

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1608
Posted From: 70.228.2.1
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warriorfan,

I don't see how crime is "WAY up" according to this report. Yes FSO and AA are up, but it's pretty statistically insignificant, especially with how few of those crimes there are. Overall crime seems to be about the same or a little lower in most categories.

I too am glad to see some great police work (it should be basic police work, but not these days) on nabbing those guys by tracking the credit card. I didn't think any police took the time to do that these days, especially a small force like WSUPD. I guess that's what a small force and small coverage area allows you to do, some real police work.

When I read this earlier today in my email, I felt encouraged by what I read. It seems WSUPD is doing their job and doing more that most police forces do these days.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1047
Posted From: 4.229.66.105
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But there is a signifcant increase in WSU Kop car sightings of being parked in driveways of homes surrounding WSU for long periods of time. Are they hiding or playing?"

Um, many of them live by campus, ignoramus.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 65.111.206.28
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read some of the stories to my girlfriend they were so compelling! Whoever writes these emails should get published in Readers Digest or something!

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3680
Posted From: 68.74.31.233
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I have to be an "ignoramus"!! Go figure on the writer/name-caller, who doesn't seem to know that 3 WSU Kops were suspended 2 weeks ago for violating the WSU policy of Squad Car usage!!! 1 went home and the other 2 visited someone for "whatever!!"

Dumb-asses will always be dumb-asses!! ain't-cha, G-dub???

Black-atcha ..... ROFLM"Ignoramus"AO

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 285
Posted From: 4.229.60.15
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I feel a lot less safe on and near the WSU campus than I did a few years ago. The last time I ate lunch in the Student Center, a homeless man came right up to my table and asked me for money. This NEVER happened back when I was an undergrad. In general, there are more homeless people around WSU. And the cops don't seem to be doing anything about it.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1119
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrior, that final column is 2005 for the same time frame (Jan-May) not all of 2005. So larcenies are down: 205 this year vs 283 same time last year.

In general while pan handlers are annoying they aren't part of the crime problem. They aren't the ones you need be afraid of.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 511
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU coppers to busy writing speeding tix and tix for turning left onto 3rd

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1200
Posted From: 68.252.124.43
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup is right, Warrior, looks like you read the last column wrong.

Basically the only two categories with large enough numbers to be statistically significant are Burglary and Larceny. Those numbers are both down quite a bit from the same period last year. Looks like the WSU police are doing a good job.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D'oh! I surrender, looks like crime is actually WAY down and so is my ability to read the crime stats. So that just reinforces the praise I had for WSUPD in my original post. They are always very helpful and they take any call for assistance, no matter how minor, very seriously.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 849
Posted From: 4.229.114.82
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife had her purse stolen, they used her ccards almost instantly. WSU cops LAUGHED at our suggestion that they investigate further to try to find the thieves. "Probably kids - cant do nuthin". Very very negative experience. Typical WSU rat race goose chase trying to find where to go or who to talk to.

Cops are always cops. Pblah.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 67.149.19.111
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked with my friends at WSUPD and "NO OFFICERS WERE SUSPENEDED", one officer was disciplined for being late to work. Also, the increase in certain crimes is probably a direct correlation to the increased number of students living on campus.

WSUPD also locked up 2 from the Calumet Townhouse for armed robbery at 3rd and Canfield on Monday. They got a gun off of them.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1050
Posted From: 4.229.63.174
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Ras, I had to get creative, as you've exhausted every other negative attribute you've earned. As a modified version of "ignorant," it should be tattooed on your forehead. How can the idiot rant of a guy who can't even type be taken seriously by anyone? I would say give up, but obviously you're a lonely dude.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4407
Posted From: 141.217.174.192
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH!!!! The Ghettoman told to all of my Street Prophets during the secret meeting at undiscolsed location at Detroit's East side that one of Street Prophet members who is WSU student was walking down near the parking garages at Anthony Wayne Dr. north of W. Warren Rd. was approached by WSU cops asking this person that he may fit the discription of a black male who robbed a white WSU student. One of my Street Prophets was being "Racially Profiled" and searched by 3 white WSU cops. A lawsuit will be planned soon.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 67.149.19.111
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa- the cops even told them that victim was white. That's strange cops never tell a possible perp the desc. of the victim. I tend to believe that your prophet maybe full of sh@#!

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 450
Posted From: 65.112.56.3
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The rear passenger leaned up and over the front seat, and steered the cab to a low impact crash into the center median.

Dang! Quick thinking and nice job!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.