Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Troy Ad Agency Loses $225M Cadillac Account To Boston Agency. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 63.102.87.27
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More money leaving the Detroit Metro Area. More people out of work.

http://adage.com/article?artic le_id=110218

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1003
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is huge. damn.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1609
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ever think that it will lead modernista to open up a Detroit office to have a local presence on its $225m account?

And it probably won't even be in Troy.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 209.114.251.65
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told that Vanzura used to work at Modernista. That is really a shame. Jobs will be lost, that's for sure.

I don't know why you have to take a shot at Troy. It is bad news for the region. I hope GM tries to keep as many dollars as possible local. That benefits them in the long run.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 275
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

doubt it, dabirch. look at sears/kmart. they closed up shop at meridian advertising in troy (they did the circulars and other print items for kmart) and moved the business to a sister company in chicago before they anounced the closing of kmart hq.

unfortunately, crap like this happens all too often in this area, especially since the economy here relies so heavily on the auto industry. they are all looking for someone cheaper and are more than willing to go out of state. add that in with the fact that everyone thinks you can only find good creative agencies in cali or chicago or nyc. personally i think those people have their heads up their asses, but it's been proven on here and in the media time and time again, that when people think of detroit, they generally think of cars, and only cars.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1617
Posted From: 66.238.170.34
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valkyrias,

I didn't see one NYC, LA or Chitown ad firm listed in that article that does business with GM. I guess GM realizes the same thing you do.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps, although it didn't say where modernista's main offices are located...unless i missed it. (ha, oops, says it right in the subject line of this post, derr!)

and spartacus, i would hardly think dabirch saying that the agency wouldn't be located in troy is a jab at the city. i think what he might have meant was that since gm's hq is downtown, if modernista was to open an office here, it would want to be close to it's client. which if it were to happen, would be a good thing, since i think all the big name ad agencies downtown have all moved out to the burbs (the latest being jwt, which may still be in a transition stage). heh, i would definitely be putting my resume in there if that were the case...

(Message edited by valkyrias on June 26, 2006)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 304
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes.

<---works in advertising in Detroit (not for a big-3 affiliated agency, thankfully)

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 209.114.251.65
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the risk of hijacking this thread... Wouldn't it make sense for Campbell Ewald to move downtown? I know they're close to the Tech Center, but do they deal with people at the Tech Center on an ongoing basis? You'd think that it would be easier to recruit creative types downtown than to Warren. They'd be a great addition to downtown.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 71.65.15.68
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I wouldn't think it would be out of the question for them to set up an office here. Leo Burnett is a Chicago-based advertisement agency anyhow.

Funny that in my search for more information about the company I stumbled upon this:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi- bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY= /www/story/06-09-2006/00043778 11&EDATE=

Seems like they should be rewarded for their awards, not canned.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 277
Posted From: 69.47.103.87
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that may be true about leo burnet being based in chicago...but then again, many other big name agencies around here are based in chicago or nyc, etc. (they are big names, because they are national/international companies). it doesn't seem like anything other than what's already here would be willing to set up shop in the area. i could be totally wrong on this, and i have really only been *in the industry* for less than 10 years...but in that time, from what i've seen and heard, no new ad agencies have come through other than by way of aquisitions. and i still stand firm on my theory that the rest of the country/world does not think of us as a creative town.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing worse than the image GM has are the efforts of the "talent" that have produced and bought the pitiful advertising campaigns.

These fools couldn't sell ice in the desert.

I also wonder if some of this goes back to some bozo at one of these agencies shooting his mouth off on a flight while a Lincoln advertising insider watched and took notes.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 652
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ads for Cadillac on TV recently have really been poor. That one with the caddy doing wheelies to beat the Mercedes into the CEOs parking spot is not the image Caddy is trying to project. It's really a poor spot. And it is typical of the recent Caddy TV ads. I think the talent at the old ad agency shot themselves in the foot.

The loud music accompanying Caddy ads is also not in character.

I applaud Cadillac for pulling the plug, and the ad writers just did it to themselves.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3478
Posted From: 75.13.145.244
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<<<< Also work for a large non-automotive ad agency in the Detroit area. This is one of the worst times for Detroit advertising agencies…hell, for the ad industry in general. Good thing we have our own niche and branching into other areas.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.autoextremist.com/p age6.shtml#table

If the story is right, GM threw in with the agency that spilled the beans.

Makes you wonder.

(Message edited by angry dad on June 26, 2006)

Focusonthed

Post Number: 306
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The general thought in the advertising industry is "once in automotive, always in automotive." A lot of agencies hesitate to hire someone that came up doing automotive advertising, because it's a completely different world and mindset in CPG or retail, for instance.

Patrick: who you workin' for?

Ray1936

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, nearly all the ads for autos are extremely poor. They all show vehicles skidding, racing, and doing things that normal people do not do with their vehicles. Every ad has, in small letters, "Notice...professional drivers on test tracks. Do not attempt this yourself."

Come on, get serious. You automotive ad people are idiots.

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 64.7.187.125
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe grandholm should make fewer trips to japan- and more to boston to try to save/create jobs-
for michigan-
it's sad though, to see high rollers- rolling out-

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 68.250.8.47
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Caddy ads are so bad, why are they selling so many? The goal, if I recall, was to change demographics from the 60-70 year old group to a younger group with more disposable income. Hence, the Led Zeppelin music. I think some of them are clever, and when I hear that song I always think of Cadillac. Isn't that the goal of advertisers? I see more young people driving Cadillacs than ever before. My neighbors (both in there late 20's) have an Escalade and a CTS. Perhaps GM has made them life long Cadillac owners. Again, isn't that a successful ad campaign? Just wondering....

Patrick

Post Number: 3479
Posted From: 69.209.166.80
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus, a "mom and pop shop" on tel in Southfield. Uou?

Ray1936

Post Number: 656
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wash_man, if Caddy was selling as good as your view shows them to be, ain't no way they'd can their current ad agency.

I'm not knocking the car. They're super. I'm knocking their TV ads.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 307
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This decision is almost surely not purely business-oriented. As I remember, there is a personal connection between someone at GM (a CMO, perhaps?) and Modernista.

Patrick: I work for a large, independent agency in Southfield that isn't C-E or Mars. That should make it easy ;)

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus, I think we work at the same place...

Patrick

Post Number: 3480
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Caddy's commercials were well-made. I even grew to enjoy the Led Zep soundtrack. Martian here btw lol.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<<< Also work in the ad biz in Metro Detroit. I'm a senior copywriter. The account I work on is one of the big three. I've been laid off twice since 2003. The first time from BBDO.

The ad game in this town is getting smaller and smaller. I've been interviewing in other states, but I'd really rather stay here, where I was born and raised. I might not have a choice though. Writing is all I can do. So if I must move myself, wife and son out of state. I will.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4428
Posted From: 141.217.84.90
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw them!!! Let them leave.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The ad game in this town is getting smaller and smaller."

it's been pretty small to begin with, too...everyone knows everyone (or at least one person at each agency around this town). it's extremely difficult to get in anywhere, regardless of credentials, experience and who you know. most everyone in the business has been laid off at least once, if not more than once. and i have had several friends move out of state to start over because there is just not much here.

spacemonkey...i started as a copywriter at my last job, was a proofreader at my 2nd job and now i am in an admin position with the same company. there isn't much room for advancement for cw's at most places, and most cw's i know have gone a similar route as i have. it's sucks and am seriously contemplating some sort of career change...

Patrick

Post Number: 3481
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Space, looking fora writing job? We're looking for a senior writer.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I am looking. I'm presently working as a full-time contract writer, which is basically full-time freelance. I need something more stable with benefits. I'm paying $850 a month for COBRA health benefits right now. And that's a real drag.

Yer at Mars?

Patrick

Post Number: 3482
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SM ,they've been looking for a "senior writer" for a few months. Check out their site. I am sure you have a portfolio ready.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's probably the same opening I applied for in early May then. Your HR Dept. has my resume and samples already then.

I'm waiting on a response from Doner as well.

It seems like agencies in this town have openings, but are afraid to hire. As if they're waiting to see how the economy shakes out.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 251
Posted From: 68.255.242.22
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus and Andy, I'm starting to wonder if I work at the same agency as you two??

I'm a media buying whore...I keeed, I'm really not a media buyer. :-) Waiting to see how the recent rash of client loses effect my dept. A handful of people have, or had, already left the buying and planning groups as they felt they needed to get a jump on media jobs elsewhere figuring they'd certainly lose their jobs here...and because they knew people from other agencies would soon be looking for jobs as well.

Definitely tough times in advertising. I've been with this company just a little over 10 years, but even with that amount of time in your job just isn't safe anymore.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.