Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Jack Brandenburg - The City of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1144
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The City of Detroit & How We Pay For It"

Dear Friends,

I have often said that taxation (confiscation is a better word) on wages is out of control due partly to waste in government spending. Detroit is a classic example. Being a member of the House Appropriations Committee is a very rewarding experience. If you have a passion to cut the cost of government for tapayers, which I do, and make government smaller, this committee is the place to be. However, when it comes to dealing with the financial issues of Detroit, the process becomes very frustrating for some of us.

Detroit used to be a great city to work and live. It once had a population of 1.8 million people, but through the years has shrunk to less than 900,000 residents. Because of decades of bad management, and it is not getting better, the city has become a financial anchor around the State's budget. Detroit is guaranteed $334 million in revenue per year from the state by law rather than formula. St Clair Shores, Harrison and Lake Townships receive no such guarantee. Detroit basically receives about 25% of the state's revenue sharing funds, but only has 10% of the state's population. This law is scheduled to sunset on June 30, 2007. I promise to be in the middle of the fight to make sure this law is not extended.

Detroit also receives from the state $1.1 billion annually to educate their children (a staggering sum) yet they barely graduate 50% of their students from high school. At this rate of graduation, it is just the same as throwing $500 million of taxpayers money down the drain. Detroit has 140,000 students and they receive basically the same per-pupil grant as students receive in District 24. From an appropriations standpoint, it would be a great help if we had constitutional oversight after we appropriated the funding.

Detroit has 18.600 city employees, which translates into one city employee for every 48 citizens. By contrast, the City of Indianapolis, with a far less population, has one city employee for every 201 citizens. Detroit's resident per city employee ratio is way off the charts. This is not about providing services to people. I'll say it for what it is; it is nothing but a racket that has been going on for years at the expense of taxpayers. The racket must stop. NOW.

In 2005, I was Chairman of the budgets for the Department of Labor and Economic Growth and the Michigan Department of Corrections. I was the only member of the Appropriations Committee to be chairman of two budgets. The budgets came to $3.2 billion. There was not one fee increase in either budget. I'm proud of this, but the economy of our state is of great concern to me. It seems to get worse by the month. Our general fund (the state's checkbook) has $1.3 billion less than it had five years ago. It is a 15% decrease. This is why the situation in Detroit , a city that has become basically dysfunctional, has to be dealt with as soon as possible.

Detroit will end its fiscal year on June 30th. It has been projected that the city will end its fiscal year with a $300 million dollar deficit. Where will it make up that kind of money is beyond me. I hope the Mayor of Detroit doesn't think he can ask us in Lansing for the funds. I would never support that and he won't get the funding.

It is my very strong opinion that, because of years and years of inept management, the Governor should place the City of Detroit into receivership. If I was the Governor, this is exactly what I would do. The person who is appointed receiver has autonomous powers. It would be the equivalent of martial law. In all candor, this would be a harsh-tasting medicine that would provide a guaranteed cure. The tapayers of Detroit and all of Michigan will be much better off in the long run.

As always, it is my honor and pleasure to serve you as your State Representative.

Sincerely,

Jack Brandenburg
State Representative, District 24

Delivered in the mail yesterday.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1629
Posted From: 66.238.170.33
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like Brandenburg has a lot of big plans on helping his constituents in Harrison Twp. He plans to....?

When did Brandenburg become a Detroit City Council member?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6179
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He could run, but we'd have to point Detroit out to him on a map first...

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1145
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like Brandenburg has a lot of big plans on helping his constituents in Harrison Twp. He plans to....?

Exactly my thought when I first read that. There was one other thing he mentioned in his letter.....

P.S. There are two very important dates to remember this year. Primary Election Day, August 8th, and General Election Day, November 7th.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1966
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Brandenburg has some of his facts wrong. The law states that Detroit is supposed to receive $334 million which was part of the compromise when that bill passed that said city employees didn't have to live in Detroit. Detroit has been short changed the last few years in the revenue sharing department by about 120 mil. I wonder if Detroit deficit would be lower if Detroit had been paid what it was due. Also the state owes the city millions of dollars for taking care of land the state has owns in the city.

I know the city has talked about suing the state to force them to pay these funds and originally I was against it because fighting between the state and Detroit doesn't help anyone but letters like this makes me think that Detroit should sue for all the funds they are owed instead of negotiating with the state to try and get a percentage of it.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 903
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have growing concern about the management of the city, which most people have always agreed is poor at best. Predictability is a key tenant of American capitalism, but Detroit doesn't seem to do a very good job of predictability through government. For example, the way which Rackham Golf Course is being mangeled through a no-bid, backroom deal is shady or, at least, gives the appearance of shadyness. That's not good for business. If the city wants to attract and retain investments, it needs an image of reliability in business dealings and stability in governance.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 745
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The gravy train from Lansing to Detroit has come off the tracks.
You might not like what Jack has to to say but the city has done a crummy job of handling their finances. I can't see them escaping receivership much longer no matter how much no one wants it to happen.
How high can their deficit go before no one will loan them money?
It can't be much longer.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 764
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring on receivership!!

Of course Granholm will not appoint one in an election year and I'm not sure who else has the power to do it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2358
Posted From: 4.229.81.248
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack Brandenburg is my state rep, and a sleazy one at that. During the last campaign he did a lot of personal mudslinging at his opponent.

He uses his anti-Detroit posturing to make himself look good to his constintuents. What a slug...

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1187
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... the city government is completely dysfunctional at best..

you have to wonder where these hundreds of millions of dollars go when they cant even keep the lights on

(Message edited by alexei289 on June 27, 2006)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 64.131.176.232
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That letter alone will get him re-elected.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 749
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's true that non Detroiters have made hay beating up on Detroit. However, the council, mayor and too often ignorant residents give them plenty to complain about.
Jack is a typical blow hard politician but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 196
Posted From: 69.246.27.152
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in SCS Jack B came campaigning to my door. He asked If I knew who my state Sentator was. I said yes it is ken debeaussaert. He's a good man. Jack's exact words to me was "He is a faggot". This guy brandenburg has an explosive temper and is the biggest embarrassment to Macomb county since Gil Dinello.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 157
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I have growing concern about the management of the city"

What was your first clue? The city has been mismanaged for years!!!

Just because a jackass says something bad about the city doesn't mean that it isn't true.

He was actually being nice saying that the city "barely graduate(s) 50% of their students from high school". As we all learned in the paper last week it is more like barely graduates 20%.

Keep up the good work Kwame!

Gistok

Post Number: 2360
Posted From: 4.229.72.99
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktownmark.... you forgot David Jaye!

Bvos

Post Number: 1632
Posted From: 70.228.2.1
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Jaye definately tops the list for Macomb Co.

Jack Brandeburg is a total cocky ass. He once asked me to be his chief of staff (I won't get into how I met him or how he got to know my credentials) in Lansing. He knew I lived in Detroit and am a big Detroit booster. I asked him if he'd change his views on Detroit and he told me he wouldn't but still wanted me on his staff anyways. When I told him absolutely not after only 10 minutes of conversation he just didn't couldn't understand why I'd turn him down when I had just been laid off a few weeks earlier. It's like he believes everyone thinks the same way he does.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 197
Posted From: 69.246.27.152
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoops my bad Jack is the worst since David Jaye
-- what ever happened to David Jaye

Jun. 29, 2006 (Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News delivered by Newstex) --
David Jaye, the former bad boy of Macomb County politics, apparently has had enough of Macomb County and politics.
Five years after his expulsion from the state Senate for boorish and alleged criminal behavior, and following about 3 1/2 years of teaching in South Korea, Jaye is back in the United States. Now he's a part-time teacher in Florida.
And he apparently does not want to talk about his current circumstances or the anniversary of his expulsion.
Jaye was in the news more or less nonstop in early 2001 after he was arrested for allegedly abusing his fiancee and was beaten up while he was in jail.
Jaye, a Republican, went on trial in the Senate, where he was accused of serial loutishness toward state employees and repeatedly driving drunk. He was expelled May 24, becoming only the second Michigan lawmaker in modern times to get the boot.
Since then, Jaye, 48, got rid of the fiancee, tried unsuccessfully to regain his office and dropped out of the public eye.
Attempts to reach him by e-mail and telephone over the last week were unsuccessful.
But it is possible to piece together some of his post-public life at the Web site www.davejaye.org. The site is a bit amateurish and contains a number of dead links, but it includes an updated resume.
According to the resume, Jaye has become Professor Jaye and is seeking work as a teacher.
He holds undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of Michigan and has done PhD work at Michigan State University.
The resume also lists gigs as a professor of English and business in South Korea and Florida, and a job in home sales in the mid-1980s.
But there is no mention of his 13 years in the Michigan House and Senate.
Photos on the Web site show a smiling Jaye, looking very much as he did in the 1990s when he was skewering liberals, welfare recipients and criminals all around the Capitol.
The only obvious change is his hair, which is tinted blond.
The resume gives Jaye's address and phone number in Bonita Springs, Fla., but he could not be reached at the contacts provided.
Word among those who knew Jaye in Lansing is that he's not interested in discussing the past.
Contact DAWSON BELL at 313-222-6604 or dbell@freepress.com.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 68.42.252.205
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was equally repulsive to Brandenburg's letter was the envelope it came in. In red ink it stated, "DETROIT -- ITS EFFECT ON YOUR POCKETBOOK -- PLEASE READ."

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1033
Posted From: 205.153.103.15
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether or not he's a jackass, the basic message of his writings is correct. Most people here know it.

Instead of fixing the problem, they just suck cash from Lansing instead. Detroit is the addict and instead of getting clean, Lansing provides them with the crack.

Fix the damn problem.

Gistok

Post Number: 2389
Posted From: 4.229.72.152
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome would that include stopping urban sprawl.... creating a regional government.... and sharing the cost of poor peoples social services paid by all metro-Detroiters???

Bvos

Post Number: 1640
Posted From: 75.10.21.159
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I saw Jerome81 lying bruised and cut up in an alley this evening. I saw gistok running from the scene.

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 71.227.103.29
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How the heck is receivership the "equivalent of martial law"? Will the governor suspend the writ of habeas corpus?

Tortfeasor
Username: Tortfeasor

Post Number: 461
Posted From: 69.209.146.160
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Politics as usual by Brandeburg, but some of his points are true and troubling.

I would suggest, however, that Brandenburg also look at Lansing and compare the number of State employees/legislators per capita with other states. I bet he finds that the numbers in Michigan are on the high end of the spectrum--why would he expect Detroit to be any different?

That said, the City does need to fix some obvious and glaring problems. Urban sprawl will stop and/or slow on its own if people see Detroit as most of us do, and that won't happen if some of the problems identified by Brandeburg and the local media persons/hacks (pick your poison) are not fixed.

Bvos

Post Number: 1647
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the latest from Lobsinger. He might have just topped Jaye, or at least tied with him:

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=9391

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1144
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we should start laying off all of the city workers that live in Macomb County(because we have plenty and even from his jurisdiction). to lower the amount of city workers per capita.

Also I checked this website out...It wouldn't let me share my view...Anybody else having trouble with sharing your view on this website???

http://www.gophouse.com/brande nburg.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.