Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Goodbye Lindell, hello bus terminal « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 68.73.4.227
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Freep:

Once home to Lindell AC sports bar, vacant building to be razed for Rosa Parks Transit Center

June 27, 2006

By JOHN GALLAGHER

By JOHN GALLAGHER
The city’s Economic Development Corp., a quasi-public authority, approved a contract worth $193,400 with Homrich Inc., a Carleton, Mich.-based contractor, to handle the demolition work. Both the Lindell AC building at 1300-1320 Cass Ave. and a structure at 350 Michigan Ave. will be razed.

In their place, the city will soon begin construction its new downtown bus terminal, named for the famed civil rights pioneer who died last year.

One of Detroit’s best-known sports bars, the Lindell AC opened in 1949 under owner John Butsicaris, who claimed for it the title of America’s first sports bar. But age and declining business closed the Lindell AC in late 2002.

A few months later, Butsicaris’s son, Mel, announced plans to reopen in a larger space in the 1001 Woodward building. But those plans went nowhere and the bar remains just a memory at this point.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 68.61.11.146
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do u have a link?

Hardhat

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060627/NEW S11/60627003/1013

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 63.171.81.130
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news that will help to get things moving in Capitol Park.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6181
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, although you cite the Freep and credit John Gallagher, I can't begin to comprehend where this article may have come from.

Hardhat

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did this article come from?
Uhhh... the Detroit Free Press website, which employs staff writer John Gallagher?

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 65.123.68.93
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts exactly Rjlj...I think Capitol park will benefit greatly from the move (given some time of course)

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1962
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'sjeff, It was in the 10:46 web update. It will appear in the print version tomorrow. (Unless they can figure out how to update the print version before then. :-) )

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 221
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a transit advocate to the core, and I am largely supportive of the RP Transit Center, minus the siting, temporary nature of the structure and further erosion of the urban streetwall architecture along Michigan Avenue. It saddens me whenever anything viable gets lost to the upstanding non-citizen demolishers at Homrich...I'm interested to know what 19th Century facade and bones is behind the mural at 350 Michigan. Isn't the DEGC pissed off at them for their bang up job at the Statler in the days leading up to SBXL?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10233
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is this "print" version you speak of? Is it free too?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 658
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting responses so far in this thread. Several "hoorah for transportation", but no tears for the Lindell. I miss that place dearly. The best meal in all the world was a cheeseboiger, fries, and a Bud from the Lindell. And no telling who you were going to run in to.

I agree, hooray for transportation advances, but I still shed a big crocodile tear for Jimmy and Johnny's place. :-(

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 141.217.12.135
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't say anything new on the value of the building (it is ugly now). but this IS a great location for transit anyway. It is across the street from people mover station. This corner and also further up and down Michigan are always busy bus stops. Here is hoping some folks can transfer or catch a bus and stay out of the weather too.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3998
Posted From: 67.171.136.201
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosa Parks deserves a bus station. Detroit is only about 50 yrs. behind so many cities in the creation of centralized, coordinated, transit malls, and terminals. Finally, a transit station in Detroit.

jjaba.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 70.227.206.90
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people live in a virtual dream-world.

There is no need for a centralized bus terminal, outside the minds of transit pimps with Master degrees.

This is just an example of how it's easier to fund and build a building (after, of course, finding the only site in downtown Detroit that still has existing buildings on it) rather than improve the operations of the bus system.

The latter is HARD.

(BTW, this is similar to the new Greyhound terminal at Fort & Eighth Streets. They tore down the existing warehouse building quick enough; now the site sits empty).

Just as a point of discussion, when was the last time any posters on this thread A) took a City of Detroit bus, and/or B) took a SEMTA bus?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 63.102.87.27
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will miss the Lindell A.C. I used to live across the street at the Ramada/Leland hotel and would go to the Lindell for drinks and to talk to the bartender about the old days and stuff. Great sports history. Good hamburgers too.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lindell AC was over rated, kinda of like Miller's is in West Dearborn

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3470
Posted From: 70.227.220.104
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mccarch,
As is my daily routine, in about an hour I'll walk to my corner, board the #48 Lafayette-VanDyke bus to Capital Park where I will transfer to the #19 Fort Street line. Get off at Green and walk 3 blocks to my job.

At the end of my shift, I'll walk across the street to catch the 9:05 #30 Livernois to Fort Street and transfer to the #19 Fort Street line or I'll wait for the 9:24 #125 SMART bus straight through to Downtown.

AND yes, as a daily rider we need a more efficient transit center than Capital Park. While you're looking for the closest parking space for your vehicle, take a look around at all the people that depend on and use the transit system daily, despite all its failings.

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 65.123.68.93
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kova -
sidenote: millers is not over rated
it is and always will be literally the best burger in SE MI
and maybe even the world

carry on...

Jams

Post Number: 3471
Posted From: 70.227.220.104
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW it costs me only $3.50 a day to my destination and back.

OK, $5.00 + cost of beers if I decide to meet up with friends Downtown instead of going straight home.

Mccarch

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,

As a DOT user, you have the right of way here to opine what is needed and not needed. But I would think that the money proposed for this terminal would be better spent on bus operations. Just to get the buses to run on schedule would seem a better goal.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3043
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've known this was coming down since it closed.

There was a raging debate on here about how the Lindell would NOT be razed for the transit center. IIRC our then-resident insider led that charge.

The story was that a nightclub would open in the Lindell building.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4004
Posted From: 67.171.136.201
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As you know, in future tense, this Forum is full of mis-information. That's why we invoke Skipper's Rules. Believe it when you see for your own damn self.

jjaba.

ps. Jams, spell it CAPITOL PARK.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1782
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As a DOT user, you have the right of way here to opine what is needed and not needed. But I would think that the money proposed for this terminal would be better spent on bus operations. Just to get the buses to run on schedule would seem a better goal.

As a "transit pimp with a Master degree" (and engineering degree), a occassional DDOT and SMART user, and someome who was transit dependant living in another city, I can tell you that building a better transfer system can help get the buses to run on schedule.

BTW - The fact that education is looked at as a bad thing is a big part of this state's problems.

(Message edited by jsmyers on June 27, 2006)

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 72.240.58.198
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any links or pictures as to what it will look like

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 795
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://modeldmedia.com/feature s/transform50.aspx

Dang
Username: Dang

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 69.212.54.179
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a bus terminal can help the "public urination" epidemic downtown, I welcome it with open arms. With thousands of people passing through one neighborhood with NO bathrooms... the alleys are just REEKING with the stench of urine. It even smells worse when it RAINS. I'm sick of holding my breath (both literally and figuratively.)

Bring on the pottys!

Mccarch

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is something wrong with the present transfer system?

Do we need to build a suburban-style barn where buses pull into "slots" to be boarded by automaton riders?

What's wrong with catching a bus on the street? Yes, I know it rains and it snows; but on the other hand, if you're in the skylighted, heated and air-conditioned bliss of Somerset Mall, you wouldn't be bothered by any yucky nature stuff. What's wrong with pretending Detroit is a city with real "street life"?

I actually think Capitol Park functions quite well as a spot to wait for the bus. On the other hand, I've had to go the the Greyhound Terminal a couple of times in the past months to pick up a relative, and it was a dreadful experience.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 796
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I actually think Capitol Park functions quite well as a spot to wait for the bus.

What world are you living in?

Dang
Username: Dang

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 69.212.54.179
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived above Capitol Park for two years. It smells like urine and there are frequent occurances where the cops have to be brought in for one reason or another. It's total bullshi+.

Mccarch

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said: "Capitol Park functions quite well as a spot to wait for the bus." You're complaining about the actions of the people in Capitol Park, some who are waiting for the bus and some who aren't.

What are these people going to do if a new "Transit Center" is built? Will they relocate? Will their behavior improve with a new fabric roof? Will their behavior improve because the Transit Center has 24 hour, supervised rest rooms (I'm not holding my breath)? We can use some common sense here.

I repeat: functionally, Capital Park works well as a spot to wait for the bus.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 797
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, no it doesn't. It was designed to be a park, a small urban park at that, not a bus depot. It was built as a temporary bus stop. It's too small and too cramped. Not enough places to sit. Not enough shelter during inclement weather. No bathrooms, drinking fountains, or a place to wash up. It's also confusing. Do I wait for my bus at one of the places in the park or on Shelby Street near Michigan? Capitol Park wasn't designed for the type of bus traffic it handles and suffers because of it.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1583
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit is only about 50 yrs. behind so many cities in the creation of centralized, coordinated, transit malls, and terminals. Finally, a transit station in Detroit.

Actually, jjaba, until about 4 years ago, Cadillac Square served this function. Then the City of Detroit decided such a location was too centralized, and that people relegated to riding the bus might be offensive to the people the City hoped to attract downtown. Hence, the temporary move to nice, out-of-the-way Capitol Park.

Mccarch

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capitol Park is not a "temporary" bus stop. It's been a bus stop for at least 75 years.

I think it used to be the west-side bus stop, more or less, just as Cadillac Square was the east side bus stop, more or less. Were any of the Cadillac Square termini moved to Capitol Park, or were they just farmed out to various downtown streets?

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 222
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#16 Dexter and #53 Woodward are my good friends. The bus and I (and my wife) do round trips 3-5 times per week. go figure. the worst part about Campus Martius was that they didn't build it in anticipation of a subway. they'll just have to tear it up again in a few years ;)

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 68.61.11.146
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish that a subway could be put in just in Downtown. When the subways reach less dense areas or just areas outside of downtown, they come up onto the street surface as light rail. Kind of like Boston's system, except Boston has a more extensive system. The main terminal should be under Campus Martius.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 309
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cost to build a subway today would be astronomical. I wish, but there's no way.

Jams

Post Number: 3472
Posted From: 68.73.6.244
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I repeat: functionally, Capital Park works well as a spot to wait for the bus.

Obviously, you're not a frequent bus rider. I agree with E_hemingway's assessment.

No signs so the novice can find where the bus needed may be boarded, so you run from bus to bus as they pull up to find the bus you need until you learn where the various routes start and that is not guaranteed, the Fort Street for two days this week loaded a block away from the usual spot.

No system maps available to determine the route you need.

A limited number of schedules at the store across the street, since the kiosk was closed.

Generally, no Ddot employees available to ask to get answers from.

The Royal Oak Transit Center, while not anywhere near perfect, is light-years ahead of Capital Park as a transfer point.

Mccarch,
I really do not understand your opposition to an efficient transit center. A place to be able to get a monthly pass, a schedule, information about routes, a restroom or a drinking fountain, a place of shelter during inclement weather while waiting to transfer to another line unless ......you think bus riders are subhumans who deserve nothing better than gruel and rainwater when they can find it.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1129
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

transit centers also get the busses out of the way of other street traffic

Ann Arbor has one that accomodates most of the routes leaving typically only two or three busses at in-street curbside stops during the busiest times

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1299
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flint has a pretty good downtown transit center, so it is not just a suburban thing. It is currently closed due to 6 million in renovations but it helps to keep Flints bus system running rather smoothly. I just wish the bus came to Swartz Creek where I live so I wouldn't have to drive everywhere I go.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.