Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » New park? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 68.40.65.66
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The area north of 75 has become pretty deslote. Consdiering its unique position between Midtown and Downtown/Foxtown and adjacent to the Brush Corridor..I think it would be a perfect place for a large-scale park like Millenium Park(Grant Park) in Chicago/Central Park in NYC...the Eddystone or a couple other buildings are still standing, but would have to be demolished (or maybe moved...we're dreaming arent we?). Maybe a big-dig like setup would be suitable for that section of 75? anyway...it seems like a good way to increase desirability of crosswinds/other developments in the area. Thoughts?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 310
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be kind of nice to see 75 covered up, but there is just no money for these kinds of things.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 68.61.11.146
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always thought about that. When I visited Central Park, I wondered if a smaller version of Central Park would have the same affect on development in Detroit, eventually. A park around that area could lead to a huge spurt in residential development.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1354
Posted From: 68.85.155.145
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a 'Central Park'. It's called Belle Isle. Is there all sorts of 'huge spurts' in residential development near Belle Isle? Not really.

Apbest

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well....its an island, der?

something like belle isle in the aforementioned area would def. have a positive affect on development

Machoken

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Apbest, I should have said 'near the entrance to Belle Isle' but you get the point. I can see that a park that could be surrounded by housing and such could have a positive affect on development, but definitely? I don't think so. Would a 1000 acre garbage strewn park that can't get it's grass cut make a good neighbor?

I'm just saying. Where's the money for this pipe dream?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 284
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fredrick Law Olmstead designed Central Park and Prospect Park in NYC. He also planned Belle Isle and Elmwood Cementery here in Detroit.

Apbest

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and a lot of dirt lots and blown out developments?

how do you solve the problem of trash/grass? Do it like Campus Martius and let Detroit3000 or some other quasi-public conservancy manage/build it but let city retain ownership. With some classy large art and well planned bike/running paths and ponds/bridges (like belle isle)...it is illogical to think it will have anything but a positive affect, or I should say it certainly wouldnt HURT the area. Do you think those lots will be developed anytime in the near or far future even assuming all planned and proposed development

Apbest

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and a lot of dirt lots and blown out developments does more for the area?

how do you solve the problem of trash/grass? Do it like Campus Martius and let Detroit3000 or some other quasi-public conservancy manage/build it but let city retain ownership. With some classy large art and well planned bike/running paths and ponds/bridges (like belle isle)...it is illogical to think it will have anything but a positive affect, or I should say it certainly wouldnt HURT the area. Do you think those lots will be developed anytime in the near or far future even assuming all planned and proposed development

Machoken

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it's a nice idea, I'll give you that.

Apbest

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah, financing is quite a different question

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.136.139.115
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit has more park space than the majority of big old cities in the US. i dont know about new cities like phoenix. but compared with chicago, new york, phillie, etc- detroit has a shitload of parkspace. we have so many parks- we dont need any more. in fact, i'd say we have too many parks in detroit. i'd rather have high density development instead of a shitload of greenspace.

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 68.73.53.71
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about the state park along the river...be patient folks......how about we let detroit grow into a better detroit without all the comparisons to ny, chicago and other cities.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1263
Posted From: 63.41.8.158
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a winter aerial from 2005 of that area.

Not the best quality, but the snow cover shows the open areas.

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 69.246.46.45
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My buddy and I (also a forum member) have a little saying we repeat every time we drive downtown via woodward when we reach this large vacant parcel: "what are we doin' here guys?"
(I say it aloud now, even if I'm driving alone)

So, what are we doin' here guys?

Apbest

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only "high density" development you'll see there is something like Crosswinds or Woodbridge estates...similar looking surburban style development. It has it's place in the city, but not in Downtown. We have to be more creative. The amount of parkspace in the city is totally irrelevant to wether or not we should create such a park. Did an abundance of parkspace stop Campus martius from being an unbelievable success? no...it's all about the Park's design and function within's its urban fabric. I think a big park would do alot there

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1967
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll get yopur chance to turn it into a park, If you want it to be a park. The city is in the process of reclaiming the property form the developer who was originally given the rights to the property west of woodward, north of Henry. They will be putting out an RFP once they regain control. If you think a park is a great Idea, Generate an RFP and submit it to the city. I'm sure they will jump all over this brilliant idea when they find out you have no cash to get the park built.

Personally I think a project similar to the Ellington woul be the best use of that land.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 701
Posted From: 194.138.39.55
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, as a person who owns a view of these empty lots, I want them filled with 4-6 story buildings and some ground retail. No park, there, makes sense. And oh, what about CASS PARK, which is mere blocks away? just forget it, because we have this wonderful new park that doesn't fit along side Woodward, a 7 lane State Highway? If you want to dream and you want that area to thrive, then you need Residential in the empty lots with some retail and make your Residential park from the one that ALREADY exists there! CASS PARK! The Neighborhood isn't called "Cass Park" for nothing, you know.

We've gotta use what Detroit already has, not go and create something new, right next door to the same thing, just because it's vacant. A large Park on Woodward doesn't fit, doesn't add anything to the neighborhood (including residents) and a PARK already exists. Change the thread to "Let's renovate Cass Park to spur Residential Growth" and I will have something positive to say. Sorry, but that's just how I see it (literally from my front window)!

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 627
Posted From: 68.41.109.36
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with Parks in and around downtown is that while nice, grand circus as an example, they get occupied by the homeless, thus repelling any interest in them

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 63.171.81.130
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Detroit had Green areas to spare, Kilpatrick would be selling off the land to save his own azz. Just like Rackham.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

move the zoo there

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1663
Posted From: 75.9.244.48
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest, we all have our dreams of what we would like to see in various parts of the city. I have to respectfully disagree with your dream of having a park along that stretch of Woodward. As Pistonian has mentioned, Detroit has a boat load of parks, and very few of them are maintained very well. Walk four blocks west and two blocks north and you'll find Cass Park. It's a hangout for the homeless, but it's a block long park in front of two beautiful buidings, the Masonic Temple and the former home of the Metropolitan Center for High Technology. This could be the park you're looking for for the Midtown area.

What really needs to go along that area of Woodward are some retail shops that provide items for the residents in that area. Some Ellington style lofts with retail on the first floor would be ideal. A small grocery store like Harbortown Market or a tastefully done Walgreen's would also be a welcome addition. A park just isn't the best use of real estate there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.