Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Paradise Valley « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.222.69.220
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long time lurker, first time poster...After the Tigers game on Sunday, we drove by a Michigan Historical marker titled Paradise Valley. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to hop out and read it. I've looked on the michigan.gov website and found no info on this plaque. I assume it's a new one? Anyone have info when this one was placed? As an admitted "road geek", I love the state markers. Always a great opportunity to learn a little history too.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1031
Posted From: 69.221.69.131
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, where was it??

And welcome.

Yaktown

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We parked at the Ford Field lot on the north side of the stadium (so much for handicap parking!). Turned left out of there and went south on St. Antoine. I think the marker is near Beacon/St. Antoine.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1381
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of past Forum threads on this topic:

2004: Detroiters try to preserve history of Paradise Valley
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/18968/21812.html

2005: Detroit DDA approves $300,000 contract for Paradise Valley Park planning
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/36206/44006.html

Hopefully these will shed some light on what and how the Paradise Valley marker and park site came to be.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and welcome, Yaktown!!!

Yaktown

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathleen, that's exactly what I was looking for. Interesting to have the state marker there but would also be cool to have a few interpretive displays with photos, timelines, etc.

/See? I did learn something new today!

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 291
Posted From: 69.209.138.56
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many good books on the subject, I'd recommend "Before Motown" by Lars Bjorn...LOTS of info in it about Paradise Valley and the jazz scene here in Detroit.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our very own Jimg co-authored "Before Motown" with Lars. Hopefully he will see this posting and provide additional insight here.

In the meantime, you may find their Detroit Music History website of interest: http://www.detroitmusichistory .com/index.html

And these other websites and pages:

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=174&categ ory=life

Detroit Paradise Valley website: http://www.paradisevalleyblues .com/tour/hastingsindex.html

Arcadia book:
http://www.arcadiapublishing.c om/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scre en=PROD&Store_Code=arcadia&Pro duct_Code=0738531553&Product_C ount=&Category_Code=

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 303
Posted From: 68.249.241.80
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen...I hope so...I ADORE that book, I learned a great deal from it. Thanks for the links.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 633
Posted From: 68.20.140.8
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On behalf of Lars and me thanks very much for your kind words ref. B Motown, Funkycarrie. Kathleen, as usual, hits all of the hot links to that fertile area. Suggest you also check out "Toast Of The Town" by Sunny Wilson and John Cohassey on WSU Press. Sunny was an important figure.
If Jaim Desjardins ever publishes his research it will be the definitive account.

Lars and I will give presentations each day on Det jazz history during Jazzfest at the "Jazz Talk Tent" and with the addition of local authors S.R. Boland and Susan Whitall, "Birth Of The Detroit Sound: 1947 - 64". Details to follow nearer the event...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4459
Posted From: 141.217.84.90
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paradise Valley is LONG GONE!! Those white-folks in the city "CLOWNSIL" at the time torn down the black community for a I-75 Chrysler FWY.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 304
Posted From: 69.209.138.56
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will definitely check that out when the time comes Jimg, again, fabulous job with the book. I learned a lot! I researched the Bluebird last semester, the book was so helpful.
I'll be on the lookout for "Toast Of The Town"
Thanks again!

Kathleen

Post Number: 1384
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jim. I wasn't sure if you and Lars would be doing presentations at the Jazz Festival again this. Glad to know that you are, so will make sure I stop by!!

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 209.217.124.27
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny wrote:

quote:

Paradise Valley is LONG GONE!! Those white-folks in the city "CLOWNSIL" at the time torn down the black community for a I-75 Chrysler FWY.

Correct in fact, but honestly, what would have come of that neighborhood if they hadn't? Plenty of flavor but also destitution and all that.

Context: I'm the grandson of one white lady who grew up at Hendrie & St. Antoine and, in carelessly racist moments, said she could never forgive the "<n-word>s" for destroying her city.

Urban-studying in Ottawa.

Jimg

Post Number: 634
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know 220, before tossing off those glib comments you might want to read about the area and not just take granny's word...

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 200
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg,

I would also like to thank you for the book. I used it as reference in an Architectural design class I taught. The project was a music museum for Detroit.

A friend of mine's dad used to always accuse us of hanging out at "Black and Tan's". I didn't know what it meant. Now I do.

Jimg

Post Number: 635
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow I'd love to make that project happen! Anything come of it?

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 201
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These were student projects. An exercise to help them learn to design a building. I stress context and history and the urban response. Many of my students came from small towns way out state, so I had my hands full.

What I tried to show them from your book was that the music scene was social and spatial, it was about neighborhoods and "parts of town". Places with remnants that still exist. The maps in your book were phenomenal. Excellent scholarship!

The site was on Woodward across from the Fox, in that big empty space between the two churches.

One guy did an animation that had the people mover moving and jumbotrons with the white stripes video of "seven nation army" playing within the animation. I played them Yusef Latif and Dinah Washington, but Bob Seeger was about as far back as their minds could go.

Another proposed elderly housing/ assisted living as part of the museum. Retired musicians would get free housing in exchange for just hanging around and talking to people or giving lessons.

We had some fun, and they worked hard. If we do a project like this again maybe we can invite you to sit in on the final jury so you can let the students know what you think?

But I do agree, a real project like a Detroit Music Museum is not just desirable. I would say it is required.

Jimg

Post Number: 636
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's really interesting, really like the "housing for lessons" concept...I'm in a group called CHIP - "Creative Healing Initiative Partnership", our mission is to strengthen the bond between music and healing. One idea is to barter healthcare for performances.
A 'living museum' that covers the spectrum of Det music from then 'till now. A fine idea for sure!
Yes please let me know when you do another music project, sounds really interesting.
JamesJazz at aol.com
Thanks for your kind words ref. B Motown. An architect pal of Lars' drew the maps for us. No surprise you like them I guess!

(Message edited by jimg on June 29, 2006)

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 20.137.2.50
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg wrote:

quote:

Ya know 220, before tossing off those glib comments you might want to read about the area and not just take granny's word...

Sorry to sound glib, and I certainly don't share her sentiments. But her words remind me of the depth of hatred that existed among the emigres of that time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.