Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Uncle Kwame « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 164
Posted From: 136.181.195.84
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Dennis Archer and Freeman Hendrix were widely regarded as "Uncle Toms" for embracing relations with the suburbs, how does Kwame embracing a white developer for the Book Cadillac make him any different?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4442
Posted From: 141.217.84.90
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By using his black charm. Saying " If you invest in Detroit, tax breaks will come to you." Is that tactic implied to Dennis Archer's/CDB tax break development plan since 1994?

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 485
Posted From: 69.209.167.110
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.answers.com/topic/u ncle-tom

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 770
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One major investor does not an Uncle Tom make.

There's a difference between working with EVERYONE and selling out to a select few in the burbs.

That's my take on the sit. Nice way to throw shit on a good news story. Congratulations pacypacy.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6194
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're coming late to the party, Pacy. This topic was discussed quite a bit during the election.

Everyone seemed to agree that Kilpatrick is immune from charges of "not being black enough" and could (and would!) freely negotiate with white-owned business interests.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 682
Posted From: 68.60.110.77
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

By using his black charm...

LOL, I gotta use this one, "I used my black charm to ..."

Pacypacy_

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He sure looked like it to me yesterday. Used by our gal Governor to fetch votes for her and by a multi-millionaire developer to pick money for him.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6197
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get what you're saying about our gal Governor, because the entire state loves Detroit and its mayor and must be thrilled at seeing her throwing taxpayer money at urban renewal. This is smart politics for her.

But I'm not sure what you mean about the multi-millionaire devloper "picking" money for the mayor?

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 739
Posted From: 70.8.129.71
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm speechless!

later - naturalsister

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2673
Posted From: 69.221.37.219
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, again spare us the disingenuousness. Talk about "throwing shit" on something.

Ferchill, Earley, Rakolta, Karmanos, Mouroun, Nicholson, etc. adds up to more than just "one".

Furthermore, if you're White (which if I'm not mistaken you have said that you are...then again your friend "Ilovedetroit" has made varying claims about race), it is racist of you to call a Black person an "Uncle Tom".

Congratulations indeed.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 205
Posted From: 68.43.122.151
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question. I've just lost my faith in the electorate. It helps me ignore blatant discrepancies like this.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 740
Posted From: 70.8.129.71
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How the hell is this a discrepancy?

If Mayor Kilpatrick has caused anyone to lose their faith in the electorate, you have been sleeping your whole voting life.

People, please - get real.

later - naturalsister

Soulsauce
Username: Soulsauce

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 71.159.22.7
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

LOL, I gotta use this one, "I used my black charm to ..."

Cedric the Entertainer calls it "The Power of the Chocolate." LOL.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 206
Posted From: 68.43.122.151
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad the Mayor is cooperating with whomever can help get deals done. I just think Archer caught alot of crap during his tenure. Maybe more of his deals were tainted than is commonly known?

Soulsauce
Username: Soulsauce

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 71.159.22.7
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is stupid and mean spirited. I fail to see the point except to complain about the fact that KK isn't being vilified.

This is the kind of crap that keeps this area from progressing. The Book Cadillac is getting done..you are still not happy. If KK had insisted on a black developer...people would have been up at arms.

All last year, people on this board kept crying about how they wanted a mayor that wasn't getting constant bad press. 2006 is here and the mayor's getting positive press...people are pissed about that now.

::mind boggles::

Some people are just bound and determined to keep their drawers in a bunch about SOMETHING.

The election is OVER. Get over it and move on or get out of here and move on!

Either way, stop spewing your hatred and leave the rest of us to enjoy a city that is finally starting to blossom.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 68.251.56.124
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, way to make it a racial issue out of a positive event....I doubt most of us could care less if the developer is green, blue, red, white, back, Mongolian ect...Detroit is making progress, embrace it; people need to cut out the whole, “black city”, “white suburbs” crap, its all of our city whether you live there now or your parents/grandparents grew up there and you cherish their memories. If we keep this racial bickering and only doing business with black business owners ect……. nothing will be solved, we ALL need to be a part of this. You should not feel threatened by diversity.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 771
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AH AND THERE HE IS METRODETGUY! HAHAHAHA. RIGHT ON CUE!

LOSER!

I LOVE DETROIT YES!

Pacypacy_

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

itsjeff QUOTE: But I'm not sure what you mean about the multi-millionaire devloper "picking" money for the mayor?

Reread it Jeff. The implication is the Mayor is "picking" money for a multi-millionaire. So again, he's "fetching" votes for Granholm and "picking" money for a multi-millionaire. Both whitey's. Hence the "Uncle" Kwame post. What was the difference between what he's doing and what Archer was doing?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6203
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried, but no luck. Perhaps if you rephrased it, only this time doing it grammatically correct?

The implication is the Mayor is "picking" money for a multi-millionaire. So again, he's "fetching" votes for Granholm and "picking" money for a multi-millionaire.

It's the "picking money for a multi-millionaire" that's got me stumped. Do you mean, "GETTING money FROM a multi-millionaire?" Cuz that would make sense.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3708
Posted From: 68.74.31.233
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What you've written, Pacy2 is called a:

quote:

False analogies: A false analogy is a comparison between two sets of experiences which emphasizes their similarities and blots out their differences.

It's used as a political strawman ploy, usually as a prelude to a negative position being stated.

So, in essence, your ending question to Jeff is really not a question at all!! Go figure .... on wheteher ItsJeff will want to argue with you or not?!?!?!

Black-atcha ..... this is too easy!!!

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6204
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I understood his point better, I might end up agreeing with him.

But I doubt it.

Pacypacy_

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 24.192.166.67
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

itsJeff: If I understood his point better, I might end up agreeing with him.

But I doubt it.

Okay, by "Picking money" it is an analogy to picking cotton. Kwame is making (picking) money for a white developer. This developer isn't doing hundreds of millions of dollars in renovations to take a loss or break even, so Kwame is picking money for him, just as he is stepping and fetching votes for our gal governor, that is why I called him Uncle (Tom) Kwame. How is that any different than what Dennis Archer and Freeman Hendrix were accused of? Get it?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 520
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a shame when everything in this town is a black white thing. People in this area are morons. When this area actually gets over it's race issues and gets a decent not even great but decent transit. Then maybe I'll believe the Detroit rebirth crap i hear

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6207
Posted From: 69.136.149.133
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pacy,

Got it. Thanks.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 741
Posted From: 70.8.122.93
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are BOTH Democrats. What is he supposed to do?

Every Governor of Michigan is white.

Jeez!@#*!

later - naturalsister

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2353
Posted From: 69.246.54.234
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a stupid thread ... you can't win no matter what you do someone always slinging something.

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 68.73.53.71
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Ilovedetroit.......d

Pacypacy_

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: They are BOTH Democrats. What is he supposed to do?

Find a brother to do the renovation. No one has answered my question yet. By partnering with a white man, how is Uncle Kwame any different than what Dennis Archer and Freeman Hendrix are accused of being...Uncle Tom's.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2354
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pacypacy - No one cares........

Rasputin

Post Number: 3710
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dead on point, ILD!!!!

ROFLMBAO

Black-atcha .....

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3935
Posted From: 24.11.154.56
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was a foolish question to begin with and especially coming from Pacypacy, who I need say no more about as his/her reputation precedes him/her. Who is pacypacy to even begin to discuss what an Uncle Tom is?

Pacypacy_

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit Quote: Pacypacy - No one cares........

If you love detroit then you SHOULD care, is it really that or is it just no one wants to admit their hipocracy?

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1665
Posted From: 75.9.244.48
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pacypacy, in Detroit, if you're black and not the same complexion or darker than Kwame Kilpatrick, you will inevitably be perceived as an Uncle Tom the moment it is discovered by blacks that whites support you. It happened to Archer and it happened to Hendrix. Kilpatrick, however, is immune because you can clearly see that he's black. Black Detroiters will give him the benefit of doubt. A lighter brother won't be seen the same way. His allegiance to his "race" by members of his own race will always be questioned.

Pacypacy, I would have to sit you down over dinner to explain the complexities of what I just said. Just accept it as fact and not beat yourself over the head trying to figure out why Kilpatrick can get away with things that others can't.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 742
Posted From: 68.30.138.79
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pacypacy,

I didn't here of any "brothers" interested. You act like there were "brothers" lined up to renovate the BC and Mayor Kilpatrick didn't give them a play.

Get real. How many billionaire developers period were interested in this project.

Again I say -

Jeez!@#%!

later - naturalsister

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6208
Posted From: 69.136.149.133
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dead on point, ILD!!!!

I think Rasputin is mellowing in his old age.

The B-C deal is the trifecta of everything you and Brian have rallied against for years: The City of Detroit in bed with a white developer to restore a hotel that glorifies Detroit's euro-centric history. Complete with tax breaks and a million dollar gift from Wayne County. If Helmut were mayor and made this deal, you and Brian would be standing in front of CAYMC with pitchforks.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2355
Posted From: 69.246.54.234
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff - No I would not. I am just glad it is happening my love of the city outweighs anything else. I think most people (including myself) are just glad that it is happening. Lets face it. The majority of dollars are controlled in the US by wealthy white men. Until one day when african americans and others are on an equal footing this is where the money will come from. It is the programs that we have in place (affirmative action, minority contract bidding etc) that will help people (including all women) to have the ability to provide capital to projects like the BC. Remember we have a vote on affirmative actin coming up this Fall, help keep it in place for Michigan! My political choice is no secret for mayor of this city, however, if there had been another mayor and he or she had closed this deal I would just be happy!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't see anyone else stepping up yelling that they wanted to be the developer for the BC. If someone wants to take on that project, who cares what color they are? Just be glad it's happening. All of the other folks who wanted to give it a try backed out after they saw the condition it was in. Scaffolding up, scaffolding down, scaffolding up, scaffolding down. Let's hope it stays up this time.

Pacypacy_

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, thanks for your answer. I now understand and am done with this post.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3712
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, ignorance runs rampant up-in-here with some scared-to-say-what-they-really -mean folk..... if not ignorance, a "hidden agenda" that is very transparent. Go figure .... from the Gov's race to the B-C .... quite a leap!!!

btw: I still say .....
TEAR THAT SCHITT DOWN!!

It'll close in 2 years after opening ..... it's called Bankruptcy!!!

Black-atcha .....

(Message edited by Rasputin on June 29, 2006)

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1978
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

WTF are you writing about, ItsJeff???? Nowhere in this thread did Pacy2 mention the B-C. You trying to project something that ain't????? Methinks her/his theme was the Gov's race; "false analogies" and all.

Damn, ignorance runs rampant up-in-here with some scared-to-say-what-they-really -mean folk..... if not ignorance, a "hidden agenda" that is very transparent. Go figure ....

Black-atcha .....

Original Post by Pacy

quote:

how does Kwame embracing a white developer for the Book Cadillac make him any different?

I agree Ras Pacy never mentioned the B.C.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1979
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you edited a little too late Ras.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3717
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hence the edit; dumbass ..... what'sa matter ... did the edit bother you? or do you have something against truthful corrections? Insecure, eh?????

Black-atcha ..... ROFLMAO @ a gnat attempting to discredit a shark!!!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10268
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pacypacy, in Detroit, if you're black and not the same complexion or darker than Kwame Kilpatrick, you will inevitably be perceived as an Uncle Tom the moment it is discovered by blacks that whites support you. It happened to Archer and it happened to Hendrix. Kilpatrick, however, is immune because you can clearly see that he's black. Black Detroiters will give him the benefit of doubt. A lighter brother won't be seen the same way. His allegiance to his "race" by members of his own race will always be questioned.

Pacypacy, I would have to sit you down over dinner to explain the complexities of what I just said. Just accept it as fact and not beat yourself over the head trying to figure out why Kilpatrick can get away with things that others can't.

Damn Royce, talk about hitting the nail on the head!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.