Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Fireworks at the Historic Fort Wayne... A RIPOFF!!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thelionking
Username: Thelionking

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 68.79.94.18
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 'pride' went down to the Historic Fort Wayne to watch the fireworks from there. Without any sign indicating the price, they tried to hit us for $4.00 a person (my 4 year old was free... thanks!) and $10.00 for parking. That would be $18.00 for everything!!! Unreal! They were even hitting people walking in for $4.00 a person! Last year, I think it was $5.00 a carload.

They were holding a carnival down there as well. I'm sure they weren't letting people ride for nothing, were they?

So, what would I get for my $18.00? My car would be parked for 2 1/2 hours and I would get a patch of grass to sit on. I turned around and came home.

So many mistakes made by the folks running this.... What do you think???

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 237
Posted From: 68.255.61.85
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe last year it cost a lot of money to pick up people's garbage that was left strewn around?

Anyway, an evening out for 3 people that costs $18 where you get to see 10,000 shells explode in one of the country's finest fireworks displays is a deal in my opinion.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 826
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on a matter concerning eighteen bucks, i would not have wheeled the car around and deprived the family of a great experience, simply on account of my bitter discontent.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1666
Posted From: 75.9.244.48
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thelionking, I had that happen to me last year during a Mexican Festival at Ft. Wayne. I understood paying for parking, however, I couldn't understand the fee to get into the event.

The people putting on the event couldn't forsee that I, along with those attending the event, would probably spend that entrance fee on food and other items that they were selling that day. In your case, wouldn't you use that money on food, games, and rides for your family. I too turned around and left.

The killer for me was that I had checked the paper before going and there was no mention of an entrance fee. I do hope you were able to find another spot to see the fireworks.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10250
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Complaining about $18 to spend a few hours with your family watching fireworks? I assume you either collect pop cans for a living or are a former WDET employee.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 830
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The killer for me was that I had checked the paper before going and there was no mention of an entrance fee.

dammit! seriously (seriously!), that is maddening! you did your due diligence, and got stuck. in the age of instant information, i find that institution unforgivable.

i don't get it.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3475
Posted From: 70.227.65.1
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I passed Fort Wayne about 9:15 on my bus ride to Downtown, it looked as though it was very crowded.

Although the owners of the bar I work at were surprised at the lack of cars parked on Jefferson.
We're about 5 or 6 blocks from the entrance. They said usually cars were parked several blocks past us on fireworks night.

Devinc
Username: Devinc

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 69.14.138.74
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH MY GOD, SOMEONE IN THE CITY IS TRYING TO MAKE SOME MONEY?!?! They don't do that kind of stuff in the suburbs! better move out there ASAP!

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 254
Posted From: 68.164.106.52
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't help that I'm sure a good chunk of that money was going to a good cause... to save our local history... something long neglected that a renewed interest has been taken in... and quality time with the family... no that doesn't matter at all!

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

OH MY GOD, SOMEONE IN THE CITY IS TRYING TO MAKE SOME MONEY?!?! They don't do that kind of stuff in the suburbs! better move out there ASAP!

nope...not an option...no light rail access back into downtown from out thatta way!!!

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1364
Posted From: 68.85.155.145
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully the 4 year old wailed all the way home.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 909
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This can't be a serious post, can it?

Artstar
Username: Artstar

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.75.208.70
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh my god I feel so bad for that child.... I would of paid $18 dollars to hear that entertaining discussioin on the way home! I hope you paid a lot in gas......

30th_street
Username: 30th_street

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About $7.00 to cross the bridge and a $2.00 donation to use the bathroom. Canada is the place to view the fireworks. Not one hassle. Nothing but FUN !

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 431
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liberal welfare mentality is killing Detroit.

If you don't wanna pay a parking and entry fee, stay home and watch the show on TV.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 551
Posted From: 71.213.228.30
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TLK- while $18 bucks may seem steep, consider if you drove downtown, you would have easily paid $10 to $15 for parking anyway, and would have had to battle the gridlock and crowds down there. Ft.Wayne was likely a mellower scene too, probably better for you, your mate, and the ankle-biter.

As busterwmu noted, if the cash raised helps fund the Fort and it's maintenance; all the better.

Royce

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF is the parking fee for? That's not going towards maintaining the fort? Damn, some of you act as if money grows on trees.

I don't think Thelionking was that upset about the parking fee. I'm sure he was upset about the $4/person fee with the parking fee. Notice that he mentioned how they were hitting people up for the four dollars who were just walking in. Again what is the parking fee for?

It should have been an either or kind of fee. Either you pay four dollars for walking in or ten dollars for parking. People parking should not have been charged twice.

Supersport

Post Number: 10252
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

WTF is the parking fee for?

For parking.

quote:

Again what is the parking fee for?

Again, parking.

So if I drive down to attend a Tigers game, decide I'm going to pay to park somewhere, then I should get into the Tigers game for free? As Jams stated, he could have parked on Jefferson, as there appears there was plenty of room. Problem solved. Surely one can find $8 growing on a tree somewhere to get in. Either that, or hit up a Liberal, they love giving free handouts.

Royce

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, I see your point, but this was a public event. Seeing the Tigers is a private event. Knowing that I could have found a free spot to see the fireworks somewhere else, I too would have left like Thelionking.

The parking fee and entrance fee for each adult was too much, especially if you had a family. There was also a carnival with rides, games, and food. Your children would have definitely wanted to spend money on some or all of those things. With two or three kids that parking fee and entrance fee becomes enormous.

The other issue here was that nothing was posted indicating that individuals had to pay an entrance fee. If that was known up front, then Thelionking and many others could have made alternative plans if they chose to. How would you, Supersport, feel if you went into a Tiger game and, without your knowledge, they decided to add an additional $18 charge to your ticket? Would you be OK with that? I know I wouldn't.

Supersport

Post Number: 10253
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you would have turned around and taken the whole family back home? That's one piss poor attitude if you ask me, and having met you, I highly doubt you would have headed home. You likely would have found a free place to watch them, just as I likely would have. Actually, I probably would have paid the $4, but would have parked on the street some place for free.

I hope LionKings kids were old enough to understand that the reason they missed the fireworks this year was so dad could "stick it to the man."

Shark

Post Number: 238
Posted From: 65.42.241.112
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know, it took all of 10 seconds to go to the City's website to find the following press release...

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/cc sd/releases/06releases/Firewor ks_Hart_Plaza_Belle_Isle_Fort_ Wayne.htm

HISTORIC FORT WAYNE

Area residents also can view the fireworks at Historic Fort Wayne and enjoy an “Inflatable Carnival" with amusement park games and prizes from 4 - 11 p.m. An adult must accompany all youth. The carnival is free for ages 10 and under, all others are $4. Tickets may be purchased at Ticket Master locations or charge by phone by calling 248-645-6666. Secured parking available for an additional fee. Presented by Janis-DA Entertainment Group

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 960
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thar you go, Shark! You just had to mess up some crank's juvenile rant with some cold, hard factoids...

Shark

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 65.42.241.112
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that pretty much addresses every point that was raised, doesn't it?

:-)

Talleman1
Username: Talleman1

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 69.245.81.70
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the originiser that srewed it up not the city. The grass was supposed to be cut on the hill which provides a great view of the fireworks. So give the old fort a second chance. Alot of balls were dropped but no intent to rip anyone off and that orginiser will not be back. The fort had nothing really to do with but provide the location.

Royce

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if some folks, like my folks, don't have a computer, how are they supposed to get this information, Shark. It should have been posted as people entered Fort Wayne. Period.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 432
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of curiosity, who is running Historic Fort Wayne, CoD or Wayne County? And, who is Janis-DA Entertainment Group?

Yeah, I'm starting to go there ...

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 344
Posted From: 207.74.110.27
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Historic Fort Wayne has been run by the City's Parks & Recreation Deparment since earlier this year.

When operation of the Detroit Historical museums were transferred to the Detroit Historical Society, the Society felt Fort Wayne was too much for them to handle. And the City is interested in finding a devloper who could handle the Fort respecting its historic precedents.

The Society maintains a prescence at Fort Wayne in the Collection Resource Center there housing the museum's collections and in some of the event programming. But now it's really the Parks & Rec Department's baby.

The Fort is open on weekends, so be sure to visit and see part of Detroit's military past. The fee is resonable.

Bob Cosgrove

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 758
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Parks and Rec Dept runs Fort Wayne, that explains a lot right there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.